Week 4 2-2 +0.42 Units

Week 5 Plays
Cal -26 1 Unit

NM/NMS O53 1 Unit
TCU +18' .77 units to win .7 & +10 1st half .77 units to win .7
Nevada +4 1/2 Unit and ML +155 1/2 Unit

Initial leans for Week 5.

Wyo/BGU No thanks.

Cal -up to about 28 here. CSU will get smoked, but I need to look at some other things before I pull the trigger. Was hoping for something below 23 so a bit more hesitant.

SDSU -11. Doubt it as the books put out another great line. Idaho isn't as good as half of the 1-AA teams, but I'm not in the business of laying 11 with shitty teams.

TCU/Oklahoma Really like TCU. Watching the line.

NM/NMSU Probably another no interest game. These guys LOVE to score against each other. Portiere is done for the season.

Weber State/utah No line for most of us, but for those who do have the line I'd love to know what it is and I would 100% take WSU. Former coach Ron McBride is coaching the wildcats and the Utes will NOT do anything to come close to emberassing the former coach.

Nevada/UNLV Like Nevada here. Situationally this is a perfect spot for the Rebels to take a step back. Still think they are a solid team, but Nevada should get this one.

Last edited:
two factors point to cal destroying csu

- the close game in fort collins last year
- cal looking to make a statement that there season isn't going to shit after one loss this year

actually, there is a 3rd reason...talent-wise...they can destroy csu.

there you have it; huge talent edge and the likely motivation to execute while csu is off of a home dog SU win. however, like JP, I wanted something under 24.

Horses--

What is status on Best?

Also, get back to work.

Last, Thurs or Friday this week? Could have money on Oreg St and/or L-ville.

My work is definitely suffering...since the week before Labor Day for some reason.

RB Best appears to be OK; he returned in the Terp gm in the 2nd half (ineffective) but should be fine with the week off.

Thursday. Go Beavers. Hell...I could be on the Mustangs.

hesitant on cal as well since that MD game wtf was that!

I don't know that I would be as excited about Cal if they hadn't gotten emberessed honestly. Pride on the line here.

two factors point to cal destroying csu

- the close game in fort collins last year
- cal looking to make a statement that there season isn't going to shit after one loss this year

actually, there is a 3rd reason...talent-wise...they can destroy csu.

there you have it; huge talent edge and the likely motivation to execute while csu is off of a home dog SU win. however, like JP, I wanted something under 24.

Cal was up 34-10 with under 4 mins to go last year and gave up 14 points in a minute's time. One of the main reasons I feel good about laying a big # in this spot.

While CSU beat HOU this week they did got completely manhandled in the 2nd half. Without the 5-0 TO advantage they lose by alot. Certainly the worst 2-1 team in CFB. I think CSU is more than happy with the idea of going in to league play at 2-2.

Really liking this play more and more even with the shitty line.

very glad to see that you like tcu, jpicks...close to adding nevada to my card as well...where do you anticipate this line moving?? would like some 4.5, but don't want to really risk losing 4...

thanks and gl this week

very glad to see that you like tcu, jpicks...close to adding nevada to my card as well...where do you anticipate this line moving?? would like some 4.5, but don't want to really risk losing 4...

thanks and gl this week

4.5 would be great, but I'm guessing it doesn't go there. More or less deciding on ML vs. spread.

UNLV is probably in a great flaty spot here . They had the upset came home looked good for 3 quarters and were coasting. Then boom the CYclones rush back and send it to OT where UNLV escaped . Two B2B draining games for the Rebels and really almost a disaster with Iowa State ...glad I took +3.5 though rather then waiting till later in the week ....

Cal and NM State will oprobably be plays as well....not sure about TCU but just because at the moment I am undecided about the game nothig specific...:cheers:GL bro

How much better is TCU than the Bearclits?

I'd say their defense is MUCH better. No way OU puts up the same performance vs. this D that they did to Cinncy. I'm not sure their O is quite even with Cinncy, but so far they've been putting the points on the board. TCU has the speed to keep up with OU but they lack the skill guys to pull off the SU upset imo.

30-20 seems like a reasonable score to me.

UNLV is probably in a great flaty spot here . They had the upset came home looked good for 3 quarters and were coasting. Then boom the CYclones rush back and send it to OT where UNLV escaped . Two B2B draining games for the Rebels and really almost a disaster with Iowa State ...glad I took +3.5 though rather then waiting till later in the week ....

Cal and NM State will oprobably be plays as well....not sure about TCU but just because at the moment I am undecided about the game nothig specific...:cheers:GL bro

Thanks SN. Probably my fav card of the year in terms of spreads as I really like Cal, Nevada, and TCU.

Adding CAL -26 1 Unit before this thing goes to 27.

jpicks,

you don't know how glad I am to see you on Cal here...I consider you one of the more knowledgable cappers on the net when it comes to the MWC...I too follow the Pac 10 and MWC and almost never lay this kind of number, but I'm also on Cal here...as I looked more into the box score of the Houston vs. CSU game and factored in the fact that Houston had dealt with the hurricane the previous week or so, I think that CSU's victory is a bit misleading (combined with the 5 first half Houston turnovers you mentioned earlier)...Cal is chomping at the bit, their LB's match up well with RB Johnson and TE Sperry (who just isn't the same after his knee injury)...also, Cal has a deep corp of RB's and two good QB's, not to mention an outstanding offensive line...this is a recipe for what I refer to as a "sling-around"...

Thanks pags. Your comment is 100% on the money, everything about it. I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've been on a spread larger than two TD's in my short time betting CFB. There are just to many factors here that point to a blowout.

New Mexico Updates:

Lobo back Ian Clark dislocated his shoulder and will miss the Lobos' upcoming game against New Mexico State.

The Lobos (1-3) face some considerable adjustments on both sides of the ball as they prepare for the annual in-state rivalry with the Aggies (1-1), a 34-33 winner over Texas-El Paso on Saturday night.

"We're going to have to tailor the offense to fit his particular skills," Long said of redshirt quarterback Brad Gruner, who inherits the starting job from Porterie. "He takes shots downfield. I think he looks downfield a little bit quicker or more (than Porterie)."

Long said asking a redshirt freshman with only one game's worth of experience to step in and lead the team out of adversity is a difficult task.
"People still expect us to win games," Long said. "For us to be a good football team, a lot depends on the play of the quarterback. If Brad matures into being a good quarterback as the season progresses, we'll be a good football team."

Without Clark or backup cornerback Jerome Jenkins — he broke his ankle last week against Arizona and is gone for the season — the Lobos are thin in the secondary. Starting CBs Glover Quin and DeAndre Wright both played the whole game against Tulsa.

Long said the Lobos would have to reevaluate their best 22 players on defense this week and didn't rule out a return to the 3-3-5 until Clark's return.

SDSU Notes:

SDSU FOOTBALL: Aztecs' Elliott will yield responsibility

Long: SDSU coordinator has 'serious medical condition'

By SCOTT BAIR - Staff Writer | Monday, September 22, 2008 8:08 PM PDT ∞

SAN DIEGO ---- Chuck Long had a tough decision to make. San Diego State's football coach had to take responsibility away from Bob Elliott, the Aztecs' defensive coordinator and one of Long's close friends.

Giving defensive line coach Mike Nelson play-calling responsibilities wasn't something he wanted or planned to do, but it became necessary after a recent revelation that Elliott is sick.

Out of respect for Elliott's privacy, Long would only describe the diagnosis as "a serious medical condition." Elliott, who declined to be interviewed, will retain his title and will remain heavily involved in practice and game-planning sessions. Long said Monday that he didn't anticipate Elliott missing significant time but wanted to lighten Elliott's load and keep health as his top priority.

"It was something I had to do," said Long, who learned of Elliott's condition last week. "It was a tough decision, and I wasn't hasty with it. The bye week came at a good time and allowed me to be thorough.

"I wrestled with it. It's a situation that went well beyond professional, into the personal level. Bob is my friend, and you hate to see him and his family go through something like this. But getting healthy is the No. 1 priority right now."

Elliott has had health problems before. He was diagnosed with polycythemia vera ---- a disorder loosely considered a blood cancer, in which too many blood cells are produced by the bone marrow ---- in the fall of 1998, when he was defensive coordinator at Iowa. He was in the hospital for 32 days in spring '99 before receiving a marrow transplant from a cousin, which helped keep him alive.

Elliott had a clean bill of health until 2001, when he relapsed while working as assistant head coach at Iowa State. He was scheduled for another marrow transplant, but a day before the operation, doctors determined that the chemotherapy he had undergone was effective enough that a transplant wasn't necessary.

Long would not elaborate on Elliott's condition and said nothing to suggest that it's related to Elliott's previous medical problems.

"Bob and his family are going through a tough time," Long said. "But Bob's tough. He's beaten cancer before. He's beat a lot of other things as well. I feel it's my duty to give him all the help I can and give him the opportunity to get healthy again."

That means Nelson, who also chose not to be interviewed, will take on a heavier workload. He has called defensive plays before, most recently as an assistant coach for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the Canadian Football League. His experience was part of the reason he was given the job.

"He's also coaches every position on defense," Long said. "He's been a coordinator before (in 1971 at Norfolk State). But Bob is still the coordinator and will lead the meetings and help organize the practices."

I'd say their defense is MUCH better. No way OU puts up the same performance vs. this D that they did to Cinncy. I'm not sure their O is quite even with Cinncy, but so far they've been putting the points on the board. TCU has the speed to keep up with OU but they lack the skill guys to pull off the SU upset imo.

30-20 seems like a reasonable score to me.

I worry about the Dalton express handing OU a couple of TDs.

I just graduated from TCU, so take this with a grain of salt, but I really like TCU as a 1<SUP>st</SUP> half bet this week. The defense should do fine against OU if the offense can get any sort of production. . <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><st1:City w:st=
Dalton</st1:City> really matured towards the end of last season, and he has some big game experience starting on the road against T<st1:State w:st=" /><st1:City w:st="on">Dalton</st1:City> really matured towards the end of last season, and he has some big game experience starting on the road against T
exas and BYU, so I don’t really worry that much about him making many mistakes early on in this game. The main worries for me are: 1) will the receivers be able to get any separation this week, and 2) will our run game be effective?

The answer to the first question is probably not. As for the running game, Ryan Christian is obviously not the answer. He’s a skinny WR converted to a RB, and he sucks. Turner’s a physical back who can run between the tackles and pick up tough yards, and I think that he will be the key to moving the chains this week. Aaron Brown is a really good back who has an unbelievable amount of speed. He’s the most talented player on the offense, but his running in between the tackles has never impressed me that much. He’s also only carried the ball 11 times this season, all against SMU last week. I highly doubt that he’s in good enough shape to be effective for an entire game against OU’s defense. The line seems to be playing well, but they haven’t been tested yet, so it will be interesting to see how they do on Saturday as well.
The motivation will be on TCU’s side this weekend also. I tend to think that the revenge angle is a bit overrated in this game. The fact that TCU went to <st1:City w:st="on">Norman</st1:City> in 2005 and beat OU can only give TCU confidence that they can do it again. Also, TCU doesn’t get the best recruits in the state of <st1:State w:st="on">Texas</st1:State>. The players that TCU does get tend to be very good athletes, and I’m sure that a lot of them think that they got screwed by UT, OU, Tech, LSU, etc. so these kids want to prove that they can play ball by beating a Big 12 monster. Look at their 1<SUP>st</SUP> half scores against the good Big 12 teams since 2004:

Tech 21 TCU 21
<O:p
OU 0 TCU 10
Tech 3 TCU 6
UT 0 TCU 10
Patterson likes to play down the importance of these OOC games for TCU, but I think that it’s pretty obvious that both the coaches and players think that these are very important games for the program (and the MWC), and rightfully so.
IMO, I think that TCU will come out and play balls to the wall in this game and try to prove something. With a spread of more than 17, I would assume that TCU 1<SUP>st</SUP> half will be +8-9, and I just don’t see TCU being down by more than a TD in the 1<SUP>st</SUP> half. In the past three years, TCU has trailed by more than 8 points at the half just two times: to Ut<st1:State w:st="on">ah</st1:State> in 2006 (17-7) and to SMU in 2005 (14-3). SMU was the game after the OU game, so it was just a terrible spot.
OU hasn’t seen a defense like TCU’s yet this year, and they could easily struggle to move the ball in the 1<SUP>st</SUP> half, but I would have a difficult time betting against OU’s offense for the entire game the way they have dominated so far this year, so that’s why I think that TCU + points 1<SUP>st</SUP> half is the safer bet here, FWIW.

Last edited:
mwc,

thanks man regarding my analysis of the CSU vs. Cal game...keep all of the good MWC info. coming, it's a strong conference where money can be made...I like to keep up on it as much as possible...GL bud...

good post edmond...tend to agree with you...they always seem to hang around one half at the very least...i may add that myself with a good number. chances are if they get down by double digits early it'll be tough to stop the bleeding, but i can see a tight game through 3.5 quarters and ou slightly pulling away at the end for a cover...something to think about for sure; thanks

Great post edmonds. I do agree with your first assessment. I remember back to last year when TCU had a 13 game streak or something where they didn't give up a TD in the 1st half. Certainly a great 1st half team. I still like TCU to cover the 18, but I'm not sure how to attack it. Your 1st half idea may be the winning ticket.

Addding: NM/NMS O53 1 Unit

Didn't get the best #, but I'll take it. Play based on the following:

Ferguson (and Baker) having no problems running wild on the Aggies defense.

The likelihood of Brad Gruner turning the ball over and creating some short fields for the Aggies.

According to Long, Gruner is probably the better of the two QB's in terms of throwing the ball downfield. Hoping to see them air it out a bit.

Chase Hollbrook throwing the ball all over the field on the Lobos. The idea of them having a strong secondary got even weaker with the loss Ian Clark and their best backup CB.

The past history of these two teams:

'07 78 points
'06 62 points
'05 59 points

Expecting another shootout.

excellent read as usual, jpicks.... always look for this thread before locking in on any MWC action:shake:

quick question: if i put a gun to your head, but with good intentions... instead of taking your wallet, i would be trying to shake the winner of NM/NMState out of you....:)

who would you lean?

lot of injuries in the secondary for NM like you said, who has been giving up a lot of yardage through the air already this season, and holbrook should be able to pick them apart quite easily

redshirt freshman w/ only one game under his belt starting in a rivalry game....?seriously thinking im going to take the 3.5 points with the home dog here, i know you said you wont play anything because it looks to be a shootout.. but if you had to ? remember, gun to the head. :popcorn: thanks!

I'd take the Aggies Cap. I don't like their inability to stop the running game and that's the only reason I'm not on them. I'd also be concerned about Long thinking that Gruner is the better passing QB. Makes me wonder if he'd rather have him in than Portiere if not for the fact of the fallout that would happen. This is the Aggies best shot in awhile to get the in-state rivalry victory. At 3.5 you've got to think pretty seriously about skipping the spread and hitting the ML.

Addding: NM/NMS O53 1 Unit

Didn't get the best #, but I'll take it. Play based on the following:

Ferguson (and Baker) having no problems running wild on the Aggies defense.

The likelihood of Brad Gruner turning the ball over and creating some short fields for the Aggies.

According to Long, Gruner is probably the better of the two QB's in terms of throwing the ball downfield. Hoping to see them air it out a bit.

Chase Hollbrook throwing the ball all over the field on the Lobos. The idea of them having a strong secondary got even weaker with the loss Ian Clark and their best backup CB.

The past history of these two teams:

'07 78 points
'06 62 points
'05 59 points

Expecting another shootout.

Like it. Don't like the number but I like it. Going to need 56 at least.

I just graduated from TCU, so take this with a grain of salt, but I really like TCU as a 1<sup>st</sup> half bet this week. The defense should do fine against OU if the offense can get any sort of production. . <st1:city w:st="[/IMG]Dalton</st1:City"> really matured towards the end of last season, and he has some big game experience starting on the road against T<st1:state w:st=" /><st1:City w:st=" on="">Dalton</st1:state> really matured towards the end of last season, and he has some big game experience starting on the road against T</st1:city>exas and BYU, so I don’t really worry that much about him making many mistakes early on in this game. The main worries for me are: 1) will the receivers be able to get any separation this week, and 2) will our run game be effective?
The answer to the first question is probably not. As for the running game, Ryan Christian is obviously not the answer. He’s a skinny WR converted to a RB, and he sucks. Turner’s a physical back who can run between the tackles and pick up tough yards, and I think that he will be the key to moving the chains this week. Aaron Brown is a really good back who has an unbelievable amount of speed. He’s the most talented player on the offense, but his running in between the tackles has never impressed me that much. He’s also only carried the ball 11 times this season, all against SMU last week. I highly doubt that he’s in good enough shape to be effective for an entire game against OU’s defense. The line seems to be playing well, but they haven’t been tested yet, so it will be interesting to see how they do on Saturday as well.
The motivation will be on TCU’s side this weekend also. I tend to think that the revenge angle is a bit overrated in this game. The fact that TCU went to <st1:city w:st="on">Norman</st1:city> in 2005 and beat OU can only give TCU confidence that they can do it again. Also, TCU doesn’t get the best recruits in the state of <st1:state w:st="on">Texas</st1:state>. The players that TCU does get tend to be very good athletes, and I’m sure that a lot of them think that they got screwed by UT, OU, Tech, LSU, etc. so these kids want to prove that they can play ball by beating a Big 12 monster. Look at their 1<sup>st</sup> half scores against the good Big 12 teams since 2004:

Tech 21 TCU 21
<o>:p
OU 0 TCU 10
Tech 3 TCU 6
UT 0 TCU 10
Patterson likes to play down the importance of these OOC games for TCU, but I think that it’s pretty obvious that both the coaches and players think that these are very important games for the program (and the MWC), and rightfully so.
IMO, I think that TCU will come out and play balls to the wall in this game and try to prove something. With a spread of more than 17, I would assume that TCU 1<sup>st</sup> half will be +8-9, and I just don’t see TCU being down by more than a TD in the 1<sup>st</sup> half. In the past three years, TCU has trailed by more than 8 points at the half just two times: to Ut<st1:state w:st="on">ah</st1:state> in 2006 (17-7) and to SMU in 2005 (14-3). SMU was the game after the OU game, so it was just a terrible spot.
OU hasn’t seen a defense like TCU’s yet this year, and they could easily struggle to move the ball in the 1<sup>st</sup> half, but I would have a difficult time betting against OU’s offense for the entire game the way they have dominated so far this year, so that’s why I think that TCU + points 1<sup>st</sup> half is the safer bet here, FWIW.

Great points. Have been leaning to TCU but was scared about a late missed cover at the end. May look at taking the first half now, thanks.

</o></o></o></o>

Like it. Don't like the number but I like it. Going to need 56 at least.

Ya I don't like the number much myself. Like the play to much to let it go by. I'll let you know on Sunday if the bad # bites me in the ass. :)

Good stuff as always bro! Best of luck this week!

:shake:

Thank you sir.

Great points. Have been leaning to TCU but was scared about a late missed cover at the end. May look at taking the first half now, thanks.

</o></o></o></o>

Edmond needs to get a bit more involved if you ask me. Minus the smilies though.

GL buddy.

You to nawlins.

I'm still laughing pretty hard that the Aztecs are 11 point favs. The Vandals should really give up 1-A football, it's just not their cup of tea.

TCU line is creeping up. No significant #'s anywhere so it's unlikely to really matter, but I'll certainly take anything extra I can get.

If you want NMSU get it NOW. Sitting at +3' -16c at Pinny with a few books moving to 3.

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words. I'll try to add as much as I can. Unfortunately, I'm working in Europe until December, so I only get NASN (basically ESPN Europe) and ESPN Gameplan to watch games. I haven't been able to watch TCU play yet this year, but I've been talking to my buddies that have been watching the games and trying to glean as much info as possible from them. So, some of y'all may know more about TCU this year than I do, but I'll try to add my 2 cents. On to the OU game:

I don't really think much needs to be said about the TCU defense that hasn't already been said. I love the 4-2-5 scheme because it is pretty difficult to prepare for. You can really hide your blitz packages well and confuse the o-line, and the scheme usually frees up the DE's to focus more on pass rushing and outside containment than is allowed in a 3-4 set. I think that TCU's front 4 are better than last year as a unit and I can't wait to see what they can do against OU's o-line. I'm pretty confident that we will be able to stop the run as well. The main concern for me on defense this week is the lack of height at CB. Both of TCU's CB's are listed at 5'10" but I think that's generous in Priest's case, because I had class with him and he's no taller than I am (I'm 5'8"). For OU, both Iglesias and Johnson are 6 feet, and Chaney's 6'5". Our corners will be able to run with any of these receivers and won't get beat deep, but I just worry that if Bradford gets time in the pocket to wait for a WR to get position on an out, quick slant, etc., then OU could put together some long drives and really wear down this defense.

As for the offense, they really matured last year in the second half of the season. I don't worry about Dalton making mistakes in this game because he has plenty of big game experience (UT, BYU, Katy vs. Southlake state championship game). What I do worry about with Dalton is his running ability. TCU's offense thrives with a hybrid quarterback. I say hybrid because I don't think that TCU likes the dual-threat type of quarterback. IMO, our offense was most successful when Jeff Ballard was the QB a few years back. He was a great pocket passer, but he was also a great shortstop who possessed decent speed (4.65 or so). What made him so good was that he had great presence in the pocket and made great reads, but wouldn't run unless absolutely necessary. This made him a great operator outside of the pocket, and made him difficult to defend. Dalton has the makings of a great pocket passer, but the TCU coaches seem to think that Dalton is the next Ballard. It seems like they try to occasionally move him outside of the pocket to operate, and he just lacks the speed IMO to be that hybrid player that TCU loves. This could create some serious problems when TCU faces a fast defense like OU.
Another thing to point out is that Dalton hasn't thrown for a TD yet this season. This may have something to do with the playcalling (TCU loves intermediate zone read passes, which pick up decent chunks of yards, but never seem to go for huge plays), but that worries me a bit. It could also have to do with the inexperience of TCU's receivers, but OU has two first year starters at corner, so we should have relative success there as well. We should have success on the ground now that Brown is back, and he's a great receiver as well as runner, but I worry about his game conditioning, as I stated earlier in this thread.

From what I've heard so far this year, our special teams, especially kick and punt coverages, have looked terrible. This is where I think that OU has its biggest advantage in this game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that they had the best kick return squad in the nation last year. I know that both of Stanford's scores came off of special teams, so it's something to worry about. I can't really comment too much on this, since I haven't seen us play yet, though.

So, all in all, I think that TCU should be successful for most of the game against OU. We will get the key stops on defense and be able to move the ball with relative success on offense. I do, however, worry about the second half adjustments that the teams will make. OU should be able to shut down Dalton in the second half if TCU doesn't make the proper adjustments and keep him in the pocket. If Dalton gets shut down, then the onus lies on the shoulders of the running game. Brown should get winded, and Christian will have no success against OU, which leaves Turner to shoulder the load. TCU has always had a good rotation of at least two backs, so I worry that we may not be as successful on the ground as some think. If this TCU offense gets shut down, I don't think that the TCU defense will be able to hang with the OU offense for an entire game without getting some rest on the sidelines.

I know it's a bit of a long winded rant, but the key point for me is how well TCU's offense can adjust in the second half. If they can do that, then TCU will cover the spread. But if they can't, then OU could win by 3+ scores.

Edmond great posts in here.

Picks good luck this week man, going to tail you on that total. :cheers:

started the week thinking unm might be worth a look with line of scrimmage advantage ... but as the week has gone on .... aggies are starting to hit my radar .....

thoughts jpicks ? New unm QB has to prove it once first ?

Edmond..Great thoughts again man. Really appreciate your input in the thread. The one worry that you brought up that I've read plenty about is the special teams play. Seems like that's the one issue that nobody from TCU is happy about. They're 110th in the nation in net punting (29.7 ypp net vs. 37.3 in '07) and have had at least one blocked that I can remember. Could be a problem in a game where they are sure to be punting the ball more than an ordinary game. As far as Kickoff's go they avg'd 20.7 ypr last year and are at 21.0 this year so no difference there. On the coverage side they had a Net average of 40.1 ypk last year and 45.6 this year. So they're forcing teams to go an extra 5 yards a drive off of kickoffs. The punting unit is the only one with a real problem. Patterson always has good special teams units and I'm sure he'll get it figured out. Kelton (punter) did alot better job last week, 38.3 ypp net, and the return of Aaron Brown as the kickoff return guy is huge. Look forward to hearing from ya again and if you want to catch some TCU games I'm sure you can use channelsurfing.com (maybe .net) and find the MTN or VS.

Marlo...Thanks man.

Kyle..You know that I started the week liking N.M. State myself, but the feeling has passed. I look at this new Gruner kid and I'm not sure how he can actually be worse than Portiere. The fact that he got his feet wet last week should really help him this week. Long has been talking all week about how he's excited to see what he can do with his ability to throw downfield and he should have some opportunities as the Aggies will have to stack the box to slow down Ferguson. It is the home opener for the Aggies and probably their best shot to in some years to pull of the in-state victory. In the end I just don't like the idea of of UNM going 1-4 and losing for the first time since '02 to the their rivals. Very similar feelings to this one as I had with the UNM/AZ game, but the Lobos aren't getting 10 points at home so I'll be passing altogether. I still assume they'll find a way to pull of the victory.

GL this week J - any opinion on the CSU/Cal total at 59? I made it 63 as I Think something like 51-17 is feasible here.

Also, I think I asked this in another thread, but I couldn't find it - Has TCU and Dalton taken a few more shots downfield this year? I remember watching them last year and they always played very close to the vest.

GL this week J - any opinion on the CSU/Cal total at 59? I made it 63 as I Think something like 51-17 is feasible here.

Also, I think I asked this in another thread, but I couldn't find it - Has TCU and Dalton taken a few more shots downfield this year? I remember watching them last year and they always played very close to the vest.

Definitely lean to the over. I do think CSU will be of some help to the over. I am unsure if they will need it though. Cal will light up the scoreboard in this one. Cal will get 500 yards of offense w/out a problem. It's a matter of them scoring TD's rather than FG's. Your 51-17 sounds more than reasonable and I won't be shocked if the Golden Bears put up a 60 spot.

TCU is still playing it pretty conservative from what I've seen. I'd say 90% of their passes have been within 10 yards of the LOS. Dalton has not had a single TD pass this year and they've only had 3 pass completions that went for over 20 yards. They have more in common with AFA than about any other team in the MWC as Dalton has been running the option a bit this year.

Last edited:
Appreciate the insight J - still looking into the over.

The conservative offensive play is a concern for me against Oklahoma. They are a tough team to have long drives against due to the relentless D. TCU may need a couple of big plays in this game (that being said, the defense is more than capable to provide them).

JPicks--Thanks for the channelsurfing.com tip. Definitely will check that out.

BOL this week

Appreciate the insight J - still looking into the over.

The conservative offensive play is a concern for me against Oklahoma. They are a tough team to have long drives against due to the relentless D. TCU may need a couple of big plays in this game (that being said, the defense is more than capable to provide them).

Agree on both fronts. I'm thinking TCU gets either a ST or DEF play to put some points on the board. I think your 44 guess in the totals thread is closer to the total than the 55 that is currently available. The under may be the best play here, but I've liked this game for TCU since spring and I can't go away from it now.

JPicks - Your summation of this week's matchup between the Aztecs and the Vandals is dead on, IMO. --> SDSU -11. Doubt it as the books put out another great line. Idaho isn't as good as half of the 1-AA teams, but I'm not in the business of laying 11 with shitty teams.

The Aztecs are the worst team in the MWC, and quite possibly the worst team in Div 1A football. Do I think we'll pick up our first win this week...maybe. Do I think we cover if we win? No. Defense is simply too thin along the D-Line.

JPicks - Your summation of this week's matchup between the Aztecs and the Vandals is dead on, IMO. --> SDSU -11. Doubt it as the books put out another great line. Idaho isn't as good as half of the 1-AA teams, but I'm not in the business of laying 11 with shitty teams.

The Aztecs are the worst team in the MWC, and quite possibly the worst team in Div 1A football. Do I think we'll pick up our first win this week...maybe. Do I think we cover if we win? No. Defense is simply too thin along the D-Line.

Definitely think the Vandals are worse than the Aztecs. You guys WILL get your first victory this weekend. :shake:

Not getting 4' so I'm going to lock it in now.

Nevada +4 1/2 Unit
Nevada +155 1/2 Unit

The website problems are confusing the shit out of me. Half the time this post shows up and then it doesn't. :hang:

utah-Weber st

JP- First time visitor to your threads, that pags fellow put me onto it.

My book has Utah giving 39 1/2 to Weber.
I read your earlier comment about not wanting to embarass McBride.
How does that line strike you ( as pags might confirm, I'm a dog lover.)
GL, bull

Nice to have you here Bull. The line comes across pretty high in all honesty. I know that Hawaii isn't a great team but the Wilcats from Weber State led the Warriors @Hawaii by 10 at halftime. The Utes are doing a video presentation before the game honoring Coach McBride as he's often given credit for giving the Utah football program life. Many around here feel that he's a huge reason for the Utes '04 Fiesta Bowl run as 90% of the players on that team were his recruits. Coach Whittingham coached under McBride for about 10 years and the very last thing he's going to do is run up the score on the day the Utes honor Coach McBride. 39' is extremely gracious with all that is going on around the game.

Beyond the McBride stuff I full expect Utah to be thinking about the OSU/USC game from last night (they play OSU next Thursday) and overlook the Wildcats. Do I think Weber has a chance to win this game? Not likely. But I'm sure they'll cause a few scares before it's over. McBride was eventually fired and I can promise he isn't coming up to watch a video presentation and they'll be looking for a huge upset.

Terrible spot for the Utes with the Beavers on deck and the hoopla of a very respected former coach coming in. I'd love to have 39' in this game.

Thanks for coming into my thread and responding there.
WEber State will be added.
Thanks.
And if it doesn't work, that's MY issue.
If it does work- you get the credit. :tiphat:

jp- my posts are not coming through to the forum
I did play Weber, and I thank you for the info.

Great post

Just want to say that this post has some of the best analysis I've seen in a while. Everyone's contribution is appreciated and respected.
Thanks. :tiphat:

That being said, I'm about as close to being sold on TCU as I'm going to get...for the 1st half. Was looking for a solid 1st half pick and was looking at the LSU game (started with the lean to Miss St, then learned LSU has done a pretty good job of dominating Miss St in their past 10 meetings. But the -14.5 for the half leaves me feeling uneasy.)

Keep up the great work!!

Thanks for coming into my thread and responding there.
WEber State will be added.
Thanks.
And if it doesn't work, that's MY issue.
If it does work- you get the credit. :tiphat:

Funny stuff Bull. I don't want credit win/lose. You have to pull the trigger either way. I do love the bet though. GL.

Just want to say that this post has some of the best analysis I've seen in a while. Everyone's contribution is appreciated and respected.
Thanks. :tiphat:

That being said, I'm about as close to being sold on TCU as I'm going to get...for the 1st half. Was looking for a solid 1st half pick and was looking at the LSU game (started with the lean to Miss St, then learned LSU has done a pretty good job of dominating Miss St in their past 10 meetings. But the -14.5 for the half leaves me feeling uneasy.)

Keep up the great work!!

Thanks DJ. Edmonds deserves all the credit uncovering the idea of a TCU 1st half play. I don't know if I like it nearly as much at 9' as 10, but it's probably still a solid play. That's a big hook for a halftime wager. GL today man.

Back