Muschamp to Texas...or to Remain in Auburn...Decision Supposedly By Tonight

RJ Esq

Prick Since 1974
The Muschamp watch continues

Posted by Phillip Marshall, The Huntsville Times January 03, 2008 7:22 PM

Categories: Football
If Auburn defensive coordinator Will Muschamp has made a decision on whether to accept an offer to accept a similar job at Texas, I don't know it. But based on the way these things usually work, it doesn't look good for Auburn.
In most cases, when someone in high-profile position like Muschamp's goes to another to school to interview, he takes the job. Maybe that won't happen this time, but I'll be surprised.
Word is that both Texas coach Mack Brown and Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville want an answer tonight. If that happens, I'll have that answer here as soon as I know it.
The question being asked by Auburn supporters, obviously, is why he would do it. Not having talked to Muschamp tonight, despite repeated attempts, I can only speculate. Among college football coaches, Texas is generally considered the best place in the game to work. The university and the athletic department are awash in money. Texas is the dominant power in perhaps the most fertile recruiting area in the country. It can dominate most of the teams in its league.
Having said that, I'm still surprised Muschamp is considering leaving.
He has a potentially outstanding defense returning. He recently received a substantial raise and is among the most highly paid coordinators in the country. He has told me on more than one occasion that Tuberville is the best coach for whom he's ever worked. He's on track to become a head coach, and could already be one at Southern Mississippi.
If he goes, we won't know the reason for it until he reveals it, if he does.
Below are links to reports in The Dallas Morning News and The Houston Chronicle.
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/
http://blogs.chron.com/longhorns/2008/01/auburns_muschamp_could_be_name.html

Personally, I love Muschamp and he would do well to go to Texas. If for no other reason than he will be a head coach at a BCS school in 2 years.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yyeby6qHlDA&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yyeby6qHlDA&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Check out Muschamp in this one tackle his DB and signal first down Auburn:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qCSONuMTev0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qCSONuMTev0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Auburn fans are trying to figure out why Texas is so much better. That would be two DCs to leave for Texas in a lateral move.

Tubs is a defensive guy, and Auburn's defense has been strong regardless of who the DC was.

Muschamp pretty much won Auburn 9 games with his defense. Next year the offense at least SHOULD be able to produce and make the defense look that much better. Auburn will be in the thick of the SEC race next year especially with LSU at home. I just don't understand why you turn down other HC jobs but take a DC position at a school that will probably(homer alert) do worse than where you are at.

Auburn fans are trying to figure out why Texas is so much better.

You're kidding, right?

At the very least, you're the DC at the flagship school in one of the top 3 fertile recruiting areas in the country. Second, as charming as Toomer's Corner is, it ain't no 6th Street or the Warehouse District. Austin fuckin rocks.

Plus, in Texas' rent-a-DC program, big paychecks from shitty programs (Syracuse and Iowa St) will come within 1-2 years.

I agree. Auburn doesn't even land most of its recruits from its own state. Texas just picks and chooses who it wants in the state with most of the HS coaches pushing their kids there.

That is why Mack gets so much heat because this team should be top 5 year in year out.

They led the nation in generating revenue and are about to finish up a huge stadium expansion. Some of the best facilities in the country.

Colege coaches were polled and Florida nd Texas were their top 2 dream jobs.

This deal I'm hearing is also like the Jimbo Fisher deal out of FSU.

This is a bigtime hire.

This deal I'm hearing is also like the Jimbo Fisher deal out of FSU.

You're hearing this is like the coach in waiting deal?

That would be huge. I'm not sure about Will as a HC and don't we have Mack locked up for a quarter century or something ridiculous like that?

You got to go check out the Auburn boards. There are about 20 different I hate you Mack Brown threads.

This was just a bigtime hire especially since Akina stays on to coach the DBs.

More to come as there might be some changes on offense.

You're hearing this is like the coach in waiting deal?

That would be huge. I'm not sure about Will as a HC and don't we have Mack locked up for a quarter century or something ridiculous like that?

Broown is probably going to retire in about 3 years to be the AD possibly.

Not so thrilled with the idea of Muschamp as HC, but maybe we can find an equal to slightly better HC than Mack. Someone who would can Greg Davis' ass in a NY minute.

You're kidding, right?

At the very least, you're the DC at the flagship school in one of the top 3 fertile recruiting areas in the country. Second, as charming as Toomer's Corner is, it ain't no 6th Street or the Warehouse District. Austin fuckin rocks.

Plus, in Texas' rent-a-DC program, big paychecks from shitty programs (Syracuse and Iowa St) will come within 1-2 years.

It is obvious he is looking for a head coaching job. I just think Auburn's situation for the next few years looks pretty good. If you factor in continuity instead of changing locations, etc. and the fact that he is going to be a head caoch next year, I don't really understand the move.

According to Orangebloods, it's a done deal:

Mack gets his man

Orangebloods.com Staff
Orangebloods.com
<!--Start Will Muschamp 100X120 Image--><script language="Javascript">document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/902/587565.jpg', '587565.jpg', 0, 120, 100, 1, '', '', 1199419136000, 'Will Muschamp 100X120', 902, 'Align=Right'));</script><table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="108"><tbody><tr><td rowspan="1" width="6">
spacer1.gif
</td><td width="102">
587565.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table><!-- End Will Muschamp 100X120 Image-->If there's one thing that college football fans have learned about Mack Brown over the years, it's that the Texas head coach always has a plan in place, no matter what the situation. He solidified that notion once again on Thursday when he hired Will Muschamp to replacement for Larry MacDuff as co-defensive coordinator. Head inside to get the scoop on the Horns' newest defensive playcaller.

Auburn news reporting it too:

The 10 oclock news here in Auburn just reported its a done deal. Muschamp is heading to Texas.

<table id="common_center_content" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td style="margin: 0pt; padding: 0pt; font-size: 12pt; line-height: 19px;" align="left">Report: Muschamp Hired as 'Horns Co-Defensive Coordinator </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="margin: 0pt; padding: 0pt; font-size: 9pt;" align="left">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="story_date_label" style="padding-top: 5px;"> Last Edited: Thursday, 03 Jan 2008, 10:55 PM CST </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="story_date_label"> Created: Thursday, 03 Jan 2008, 10:53 PM CST </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="padding-top: 5px;"> <!-- Begin Image displayed --> <!-- The extra outer div and img element will trigger reflow in FF --> <table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td id="story_image">
photo_servlet
</td> </tr> </tbody><caption class="story_image_caption" align="bottom">Longhorn Football</caption> </table>
Detail
<!-- Forcing reflow by setting and removing padding left --> <script> (function() { try { var td, img, p; if (document && document.getElementById) { td = document.getElementById('story_image'); if (td && td.getElementsByTagName) { img = td.getElementsByTagName('img')[0]; } if (img) { p = img.style.paddingLeft; img.onload = function() { img.style.paddingLeft = '1px'; setTimeout(function() { img.style.paddingLeft = p; img.onload = null; }, 0) } } } } catch (e) { } })(); </script> <!-- Begin sidebar displayed --> <!-- End sidebar displayed --> <!-- Text Story Detail --> <!-- Had to use this funcky scriplet to have breaks where ever there is \n bean:write does not differentiate "\n" new line characters. Perhaps use of jstl <c:out value="${bean.property}"/> or just enabling jstl so that we can just write ${bean.property} and jsp takes care of the new lines. -->
AUSTIN -- For the second time in three years, Mack Brown has looked to Auburn University to hire a new defensive coordinator. Sources close to the University of Texas athletic department Say Will Muschamp was hired Thursday to be the Longhorns new co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach.

Muschamp was also coordinator and linebackers coach under Nick Saban at Louisiana State University and with the Dolphins. He stands to follow the same path to a head coaching job as Gene Chizik who came to Texas from Auburn in 2005 and stayed just two years before becoming the head coach at Iowa State. Muschamp's defenses at Auburn have been ranked among the nations best, eighth overall yielding less than 300 yards a game, seventh in pass defense, allowing just 179 yards a game, and fifth in scoring defense allowing just 16 points a game.

Muschamp replaces Larry MacDuff who resigned Wednesday citing philosophical differences with Coach Mack Brown. Duane Akina may retain the co-coordinator title, but will likely have a different role with the defense.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Less money, less talent, less credit.

Staying at Auburn for one more year with a system already in place, tons of defensive talent, for more money(from what I understand) and no "co" in his job title.

Texas is the better place long term, but it is obvious he will be one and done. He can have any recruit in the state of Texas, but he will be gone before they he gets to use them. And it wasn't like he wasn't getting HC offers. I'm curious to see what other benefits he is getting because at face value it looks like a horrible move for him.

Maybe it is just sour grapes.

Last edited:
Have to agree with the Teasippers here, AUSTIN ROCKS!!! If you've never been there and you are ever in Texas, you gotta go.

Will and Tubby are mmeting right now as I type...Word will be out within the next hour or so...Word here in Birmingham is he may be headed out of Auburn

AUfan59 - Not to ruffle your feathers but Auburn is not even THE university in Alabama. Texas is the biggest fish in the sea.
Your points about talent in place etc do make sense but Muschamp has left defensive talent in the past when he moved on.
I would LOVE to have the guy back. I can understand hoping and wishing he would stay. Players love a coach that is as intense as he is.

This is simply a springboard to a head coaching job he actually wants.
I think he may be able to raise his stock high enough to get a solid gig.
He also realizes that the SEC offenses are about to be impossible to hold under 20 points on a consistent basis.

AUfan59 - Not to ruffle your feathers but Auburn is not even THE university in Alabama. Texas is the biggest fish in the sea.
Your points about talent in place etc do make sense but Muschamp has left defensive talent in the past when he moved on.
I would LOVE to have the guy back. I can understand hoping and wishing he would stay. Players love a coach that is as intense as he is.

This is simply a springboard to a head coaching job he actually wants.
I think he may be able to raise his stock high enough to get a solid gig.
He also realizes that the SEC offenses are about to be impossible to hold under 20 points on a consistent basis.

Please explain to me how him going to Texas for one year is more advantageous than staying at Auburn for one year? I guarantee you that Auburn's defense will be better than Texas's statistically even if he goes to Texas. Texas isn't on TV more than Auburn. He stands to get payed more at Auburn. And it isn't like he isn't getting any interviews to be a head coach as the DC at Auburn.

I realize that Texas long term > Auburn long term. I'm not denying that, and this situation isn't about that. But for a one and done season, I honestly don't understand what he has to gain by going to Texas. Please fill me in.

It's Official:

Muschamp resigns as Auburn defensive coordinator, accepts Texas offer

Posted by [URL="http://blog.al.com/trackingtigers/about.html"]Phillip Marshall, The Huntsville Times[/URL] January 04, 2008 4:25 PM

Categories: Football
Will Muschamp resigned today as Auburn's defensive coordinator to accept a similar position at the University of Texas.
Muschamp, who interviewed at Texas on Thursday, told Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville shortly after returning from Austin this afternoon that he had decided to accept an offer from Longhorn coach Mack Brown. Muschamp leaves after two years on the Auburn staff.
The Auburn president and Board of Trustees recently approved a raise for Muschamp that would have made his salary $425,000 in 2008.He had a two-year contract with no buyout clause. He would have been the highest paid assistant coach in the Southeastern Conference.

Bring On Coach O!

Auburn relented. They couldn't match the salary Texas is offering.

Texas has some serious talent coming back next year on the defensive side of the ball. 5 surefire NFL players in the front seven, and probably the most highly touted stable of young DB's in the nation. Our cup runneth over...

Don't kid yourself. Will Muschamp got a promotion today. He left a land-grant institution for the flagship school in the richest state in the union.

Auburn relented. They couldn't match the salary Texas is offering.

Texas has some serious talent coming back next year on the defensive side of the ball. 5 surefire NFL players in the front seven, and probably the most highly touted stable of young DB's in the nation. Our cup runneth over...

Don't kid yourself. Will Muschamp got a promotion today. He left a land-grant institution for the flagship school in the richest state in the union.

They would have matched if they wanted to. The money is pocket change to Bobby Lowder. He didn't deserve more money. He was the highest paid assistant in the SEC. Muschamp will be one and done. He already turned down southern miss and was under consideration for Georgia Tech and the Arkansas jobs.

Sorry, bro, Auburn can't outspend Texas. As long as we got $100 oil, we've got 80 Bobby Lowders stuck in Houston rush hour traffic as we speak.

Sorry, bro, Auburn can't outspend Texas. As long as we got $100 oil, we've got 80 Bobby Lowders stuck in Houston rush hour traffic as we speak.

it doesn't matter when we are talking about one DC.......it's not that difficult to pay Muschamp.....im in agreement that Texas has more money, but it isn't like Auburn couldn't afford to match.....I think it had more to do with issues involving our dumbass AD.

He's not going to be one and done. He probably stays two-three years. First he will be able to gain inroads in Texas through recruiting and he'll learn how to run a program under Mack which is why Chizik stayed two years. Brown may not be the greatest X an O coach around but he runs a program as well as anybody.

Texas is the #1 sold apparel in the country, Texas is the #1 revenue maker, Texas has its recruting class wrapped up usually before the season start because he has the kids and coaches in the state eating out of his hand, Mack has quadrupled booster donations, etc

As far as talent goes Texas 06 & 07 classes combined are better then anyone not named USC & Florida. There is a ton of young talent that will make this team dangerous.

Only weakness on this team may be RB with Charles gone but that may change since Texas now leads for #1 RB Darrell Scott.

I don't think Orgeron's personality would fit on the Texas staff. Heard he was a nut case.

I'd like it personally because he's one of the best recruiters in the country.

I don't think Orgeron's personality would fit on the Texas staff. Heard he was a nut case.

I'd like it personally because he's one of the best recruiters in the country.

Texas doesn't need any help recruiting. They get to handpick the state for talent every year. Their problem is developing those five stars into actual production on the field(except for the VY years.

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Heavy,Impact,Arial Black,Arial]Could Tenuta be leading candidate?[/FONT]
<noscript>Could Tenuta be leading candidate?

</noscript> Bryan Matthews
AuburnSports.com Publisher
<script language="javascript"> if ((bIEWindowBrowser) && (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE 6.") != -1)) document.write("<div id=outercontainer style='height:220px;'>"); else document.write("<div id=outercontainer>"); document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</script> Talk about it in The Bunker

Tommy Tuberville is in a familiar position.

For the fourth time in his nine seasons as Auburn's head coach, Tuberville is in the market for a new defensive coordinator following the move of Will Muschamp from AU to Texas Friday.

With Signing Day only a month away and Auburn's biggest recruiting visit weekend starting Jan. 11, look for Tuberville to fill the position quickly.

<!--Start Jon Tenuta 200 (1) Image--><script language="Javascript">document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/884/588036.jpg', '588036.jpg', 1, 267, 200, 1, 'Tenuta has engineered some of the nation\'s best defenses.', 'John Amis', 1199509364000, 'Jon Tenuta 200 (1)', 884, 'Align=Left'));</script><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="208"><tbody><tr><td width="202">
588036.jpg
</td><td rowspan="4" width="6">
spacer1.gif
</td></tr><tr><td align="right">AP: John Amis</td></tr><tr><td height="3">
spacer1.gif
</td></tr><tr><td align="center">Tenuta has engineered some of the nation's best defenses.</td></tr></tbody></table><!-- End Jon Tenuta 200 (1) Image-->While several names could emerge in the coming days, AuburnSports.com has identified former Georgia Tech defensive coordinator and interim head coach Jon Tenuta as a leading candidate.

Tenuta served as defensive coordinator at Georgia Tech for six years before taking over as interim coach for the Humanitarian Bowl game against Fresno State following the firing of head coach Chan Gailey.

Tech ranked 12th in total defense this season and has ranked in the Top 30 each of the last four seasons under Tenuta.

Tenuta's defenses have played well in several matchups against Auburn holding the Tigers to 14 points in 2005 and 3 points in 2003, both Georgia Tech wins.

Tenuta's North Carolina defense also shut down AU's offense in the 2001 Peach Bowl, a 16-10 Tar Heel win. UNC's 2001 defense was ranked first in the ACC.

Tenuta previously served as a defensive coordinator at five other schools, including Marshall (1987), Kansas State (1988), SMU (1990-94) and Ohio State (2000).

An on-line report from the Huntsville Times also mentioned former Duke head coach Ted Roof and Cincinnati defensive coordinator Joe Tresey as potential candidates.

Roof, who was fired from Duke after a 6-45 record, recently accepted the position of linebackers coach at Louisville. Roof also served as d-coordinator at Duke and Georgia Tech.

Cincinnati ranked No. 52 in total defense under Tresey this season. Tresey has also served as d-coordinator at Central Michigan, Akron and Georgia Southern.

Current North Carolina defensive coordinator and secondary coach Chuck Pagano is also a potential candidate. Pagano coached defensive backs for the NFL's Oakland Raiders and Cleveland Browns, and was an assistant at the University of Miami and East Carolina.

The candidate list could expand in the coming days. Tuberville and more than 6,000 other coaches are scheduled to attend the American Football Coaches Association convention Jan. 6-9 in Anaheim, Ca. The convention features coaching clinics, awards and a great opportunity for coaches to network.

Texas doesn't need any help recruiting. They get to handpick the state for talent every year. Their problem is developing those five stars into actual production on the field(except for the VY years.

Yep, 10 wins each of the last 8 years just isn't getting it done.

Mack will have Texas back with a much stronger team the next 2 years.

As Horn has pointed out. The worst 2 recruiting classes for Texas in Mack's years were the 2003 and 2004 classes. Those players are now graduating.

Texas has also had a great deal of disruption on the defensive side of the ball with the merry go round of DCs.

And, let's face it, I think Texas also became complacent after the MNC. 2006 was ok, primarily because they still had some swagger and they also felt that they needed to come out and play hard to replace the loss of VY and others. This year though they didn't have that swagger and made excuses for not dominating lesser opponents.

I don't expect that to happen next year. I think the attitude has been switched. Statement game in the Holiday Bowl. Mack getting Muschamp shows a HUGE commitment to getting better and stronger on defense. More aggression on the offensive side of the ball in the first game or two next year would also be a great sign of this commitment.

Looking at Texas' 2008 schedule, it still has it's very soft spots but is tougher than this year's schedule:

<table border="0" cellpadding="2" width="500"><tbody><tr align="left" valign="top"><td colspan="3">2008</td></tr> <tr align="left" valign="top"> <td width="18%">08/30
09/06
09/13
09/20
10/04
10/11
10/18
10/25
11/01
11/08
11/15
11/28 or 29 </td> <td width="48%">FLORIDA ATLANTIC
at UTEP
ARKANSAS
RICE
at Colorado
vs. Oklahoma (Dallas)
MISSOURI
OKLAHOMA STATE
at Texas Tech
BAYLOR
at Kansas
TEXAS A&M</td> <td width="34%">TBA
TBA
TBA
TBA
TBA
TBA
TBA
TBA
TBA
TBA
TBA
2:30 p.m.</td></tr></tbody></table>

Not sure about UTEP, but FAU should be their conference champion (albeit it's the Sun Belt). That Arkansas game looms huge. I don't care if McFadden is gone or they don't have a QB. The Texas-Arky rivalry is huge. Hogs will play us tough the next 2 years.

Then we trade Nebraska, Iowa St, and Kansas St for arguably the top 3 North teams next year in Mizzou, Kansas, and Colorado.

Texas needs to get tough the next 2 years in order to compete in a Big 12 that should be improving even more.

Then, if you look at 2010 and 2011, Texas puts UCLA in the non-conf and the Horns may have to face Mallett.

I like the commitment Mack and UT are making to competing and not being satisfied with 10 win seasons. Frankly, 10 wins doesn't mean shit any more and Horn fans want conference and national championships now.

Back