Multi-Sport Weekend Parlay Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Bet On This Cross-Sport Parlay ( ) for the Weekend

Best Bet: Parlay Lakers ATS & Scarlet Knights ATS (Odds TBA)

Los Angeles Lakers vs. New Orleans Pelicans
Saturday, February 4, 2023 at 6 p.m. ET at Smoothie King Center in New Orleans

Missing Zion Williamson

It has become obvious that New Orleans lacks sufficient scoring depth to make up for the absence of star forward Zion Williamson.

Currently, they are suffering a 10-game losing streak.

While their defense has plenty of problems, they especially miss Zion's unique rim-attacking prowess on offense.

The reduced threat that their offense poses in Zion's absence is reflected in the following statistic: before Zion's injury, New Orleans was tied for fifth in offensive rating; since Zion's injury, the Pelicans rank 26thin offensive rating.

Key Laker Defender

Whereas New Orleans will miss its top scorer, its leading point-getter, the Lakers have their star defender healthy.

Center Anthony Davis, who has been a member of four NBA All-Defensive teams, is well-reputed to be a top-level shot-blocker.

The rim protection that he provides will be decisive against a Pelican offense that is allergic to attempting three-pointers -- New Orleans attempts the second-fewest per game.

Instead, the Pelicans rely on scoring inside, where they will have to contend with the Lakers' elite shot-blocker without having Zion's star power to help them.

Laker Offense

On offense, the Lakers are likewise characteristically inclined to attack inside.

They attempt the most field goals within five feet of the basket.

Los Angeles is built to thrive in this space.

LeBron James, of course, excels at scoring in the paint.

While LeBron averages 30.1 points per game, Davis scores 26.9 points per game while likewise relying on scoring inside.

Davis relies on off-ball movement, post-up play, and other things to be a top-level scorer near the basket.

The third key Laker scorer is Russell Westbrook, who is known for his explosiveness that helps make him difficult to stop when he drives the basketball.

New Orleans' Defensive Outlook

The Pelicans wish they still had top rim protector Steven Adams for this game.

They rank last-place at limiting opposing field goal percentage within five feet of the basket.

Their lack of rim protection makes them completely vulnerable to L.A.'s inside scoring, which will help the Lakers outpace the Zion-less Pelicans.

Michigan State Spartans vs. Rutgers Scarlet Knights
Saturday, February 4, 2023 at noon ET at Madison Square Garden in New York

The First Meeting

Michigan State won the first meeting between these teams 70-57.

Superior Spartan shooting from behind the arc was able to mask the team's difficulty with scoring inside.

To be exact, the Spartans converted an absurd 12 of 22 three-point attempts.

They thus won despite failing to muster more than seven free throw attempts and despite shooting 42.4 percent (14 of 33) inside the arc.

Rutgers' Interior Defense

With the Spartans playing away from home, I find it unlikely that they show the same aptitude behind the arc that they did in the first game.

Indeed, in their last three road games -- all of which they lost by nine or more points -- they failed to make half as many threes as they did in the first game against Rutgers.

But relying on scoring inside against the Scarlet Knights is no recipe for success.

The Scarlet Knights own one of the nation's best interior defenses and the top one in the Big Ten -- they ranks second in their conference at limiting opposing two-point percentage -- because they are characteristically scrappy and possess monstrous, skilled shot-blockers.

Most prominently, center Clifford Omoruyi boasts the nation's 30th-highest block rate.

Passing

Michigan State prides itself on using ball movement to manipulate spaces and create open passing lanes for teammates.

But Rutgers' length -- the Scarlet Knights rank 15thin height --poses a significant problem.

With their long arms, they prevent opponents from easily making the passes that they often perceive the need to make in order to score.

Rutgers' Offensive Outlook

Michigan State's defense doesn't bring the same man-to-man intensity on the road, where it has allowed 75 or more points in three straight contests.

The Spartans will struggle to contain a Rutgers offense that has exceeded 80 points in multiple contests, while benefitting from improved shooting and having multiple guys step up to be threatening scorers and, perhaps more prominently, effective distributors and sharers of the basketball.

How can you bet lakers ats without knowing the number? Isn’t that kinda important? I totally understand fading the Pels, they in a free fall but what if it lakers -10? Lol. That drastic, I’m sure it won’t be that but you know what I’m saying.

How can you bet lakers ats without knowing the number? Isn’t that kinda important? I totally understand fading the Pels, they in a free fall but what if it lakers -10? Lol. That drastic, I’m sure it won’t be that but you know what I’m saying.
Isn‘t it a very high percentage of teams that win cover also?

But your point is fair. I just had to write this article last night haha, doesn’t mean I have to bet it personally or continue to recommend it to CTG guys

Isn‘t it a very high percentage of teams that win cover also?

But your point is fair. I just had to write this article last night haha, doesn’t mean I have to bet it personally or continue to recommend it to CTG guys

In nba? Im not sure, it a good question,, I feel like spread comes into play quite a bit but could just be the games I pick, lol.

I did like that Pels are home. Hopefully Lakers not favored too heavily

Lakers just won and failed to cover a short number last night, I recall a handful just this week. I’d guess fav winning and not covering happens more in nba than nfl but I don’t know the numbers, feels like a project for you! Should be easy enough to find! Lol

Lakers just won and failed to cover a short number last night, I recall a handful just this week. I’d guess fav winning and not covering happens more in nba than nfl but I don’t know the numbers, feels like a project for you! Should be easy enough to find! Lol
Man this is NBA, I choose to delegate this task to BAR

I see where you going but this won’t tell us percentage of time the fav wins but doesn’t cover! Cmon man, you better than this! Lol

I see where you going but this won’t tell us percentage of time the fav wins but doesn’t cover! Cmon man, you better than this! Lol
Man why‘d you say this after i already deleted, cut me some slack i‘m eating and playing imessage games!

Back