Motor City Bowl

Tiller could care less about winning bowl games and definitely not the worst bowl he's taken the Boilers to. Purdue did beat CMU easily but CMU's QB had some major jitters in the 1st half. Purdue recruited him but then never offered and that fact had him a bit too fired up to play the Boilers. Once he settled down they scored three straight times late in the 3rd and then in the 4th to get within 2 scores.

That was an undefeated Purdue team that still had high hopes for the season. This will be a Purdue team that does not want to hang out in Detroit for Christmas (they'll leave for Detroit on the 23rd with the game on the 26th). The comments I've read talk about being excited to play but I just don't buy it.

I'm not sure how one would see this as a similar situation as the game in West Lafayette. That was an undefeated senior laden Purdue team with high hopes for the season against a CMU squad missing a few pieces due to injuries. CMU was led by a QB who couldn't complete anything in the 1st half since he was so jazzed up to get revenge on Purdue for not offering a scholly to him. Once he settled down he threw for nearly 300 yards and put up 22 straight points in the 2nd half.

This game will be played at Ford Field where CMU beat MTSU 35-17 in front of 54000 mostly Chippewa faithful. CMU is excited to get another opportunity at knocking off Purdue while Purdue wants no part of the Motor City Bowl. Purdue will be without WR Selwyn Lymon who was kicked off the team after the Oaken Bucket disaster. They also may as well be without WR Dorien Bryant who's rumored to have asked the question "Can we decline the bowl invite?". Purdue may have plenty of bowl experience (10 of the last 11 years) but they are led by a coach who doesn't care about winning bowl games in recent years. He treats them as a reward lets the players have their fun where ever they go. Most of the fan base wants Tiller out and even though Detroit is a short drive I don't think Purdue will have a good following. This is the worst bowl Purdue has gone to in the Tiller era...on the other hand CMU has been extending ticket office hours due to early success in sales.

A team excited to get a shot at a Big Ten school with revenge vs a team that wants no part of celebrating a disaster finish against a MAC school the day after Christmas.

Before this years matchup these teams hadn't played since the year 2000.

Here is what Purdue's star WR Dorien Bryant had to say about the game...

Here is what Purdue's star WR had to say about the invite...

Quote:
By Jon Nyatawa

Publication Date: 12/04/07

Sports Editor

sponsored by

One Purdue wide receiver isn't too satisfied with Purdue's recent bowl announcement.

Sunday night, it was announced that the Boilers would play Central Michigan in the Motor City Bowl at 7:30 p.m. on Dec. 26.

Senior Dorien Bryant updated the status on his Facebook page Monday afternoon, writing that he is "wondering if you can decline a bowl (invite). If so, we probably should just forfeit."

Only one other Big Ten team has participated in the bowl game's 10-year history, but the event has not always been associated with the conference.

Purdue will face Central Michigan in the Motor City Bowl, the second time in 2007 that the two teams will meet. The Boilers won the first, 45-22.

Bryant did not return an e-mail sent Monday night.

Associate athletic director Tom Schott declined to comment on a Facebook page.

Sunday night, two team captains, junior Curtis Painter and senior Dan Bick, both expressed excitement with their words following Purdue's bowl game announcement.

They both said that the team was happy just to be involved in postseason play because they didn't want the 2007 season to end the way it has. Purdue has lost its last three games, and five of its last seven.

Purdue will be without the ultra talented WR Selwyn Lymon who came to Purdue as a 5* recruit but couldn't stay out of trouble. He was kicked off the team shortly after the season finale against Indiana.

He caught 6 passes for 66 yards and a TD in the first meeting with CMU.

As an FYI I played CMU +9.5 and +355. I'm a pretty bitter Boiler fan so I'm biased but I think it's one of the better plays on the board.

wow good stuff......

i pounded Purdue over CMU while in Vegas in the first meeting......

i was thinking i would play Purdue again......

hell no now...

I apologize for some redundant info in multiple posts...I just decided to grab everything I've written at a couple different places to get it all together. Obviously Purdue is the much better team but Tiller's carefree attitude towards bowl games plus the disappointment with the bowl makes this close to a toss up IMO.

Purdue is 1-6 in their last 7 bowl games (they missed a bowl in 2005) with lackluster performances the last 2 bowl games in particular. Obviously they'll be facing much weaker competition with CMU than the likes of Georgia (twice), Washington (twice), Washington St, Arizona St, and Maryland.

BOWL DATE TEAM RESULT
---- ---- ---- ------
Champs Sports Dec. 29, 2006 Maryland L, 7-24
Sun Dec. 31, 2004 Arizona St L, 23-27
Capital One Jan. 1, 2004 Georgia L, 27-34 (OT)
Sun Dec. 31, 2002 Washington W, 34-24
Sun Dec. 31, 2001 Washington St L, 27-33
Rose Jan. 1, 2001 Washington L, 24-34
Outback Jan. 1, 2000 Georgia L, 25-28
Alamo Dec. 29, 1998 Kansas St W 37-34
Alamo Dec. 30, 1997 Oklahoma St W, 33-20

Great post.

Totally agree that Purdue prolly doesn't have much incentive to be coming up here.

This line was kooky to. It opened 4 in vegas and got pounded to 10...and has just been hovering around there since.

Some info on Painter...Tiller is now revealing that Curtis only practiced twice a week due to a rotator cuff problem the last few weeks of the season. He indicates that he's regained his velocity after some time off.

Just an fyi...

Purdue's QB's arm was hurting?

CMU's defense has more holes in it than SpongeBob Squarepants.....Those fuckers cost me more money this year than any team...They couldnt stop the common cold.

Putting in my 2 cents....I think Purdue is the only play here. CMU has an awful pass D and Purdue did and can shred them up again in the bowl. Whether or not they WILL is a completely different question, and I'm glad Painter posted that angle, because it's all true. Purdue shouldn't be happy to be playing here and past performance in bowls have been lackluster at best, but talent against talent, Purdue should blow these cats out of Ford Field. My play is on Purdue for 1 unit.

PUR is the pick in this game, I don't give a fu** about what a dumb athlete said on a webpage. Are you kidding me? That is about the most useless piece of trash I have ever seen.

ditto to joebrensports & Houghton: PU jumped to a 24-ZIP lead & never looked back using 2,3 & 4th string in 2nd half. 583 yds of offense was Tiller's 5 best ever. 5 TO's (4fumbles) lead to short fields in 2nd half for CMU.I doubt they will have that many tomorrow. Difference in speed was obvious between B10 & MAC early-should be the same indoors. As an ex-player I've followed the team for years & traveled with PU on several occasions and this game is just what the doctor ordered for Purdue's psyche. CMU is 106 in Total D 107 in Scoring D & 111 in Pass D. It is true CMU has outsold PU 15K-5k in tickets & will have a home game atmosphere for CMU -I talked with one of PU's players last Friday and the seem to be getting a "us against the world" mentality (which PU really needs more often) Too many seniors with a bad taste for losing the bucket game wanting to go out winners. Plus Tiller's record against teams he's supposed to beat is extremely good. PU:38 CMU:24 BOL

ditto to joebrensports & Houghton: PU jumped to a 24-ZIP lead & never looked back using 2,3 & 4th string in 2nd half. 583 yds of offense was Tiller's 5 best ever. 5 TO's (4fumbles) lead to short fields in 2nd half for CMU.I doubt they will have that many tomorrow. Difference in speed was obvious between B10 & MAC early-should be the same indoors. As an ex-player I've followed the team for years & traveled with PU on several occasions and this game is just what the doctor ordered for Purdue's psyche. CMU is 106 in Total D 107 in Scoring D & 111 in Pass D. It is true CMU has outsold PU 15K-5k in tickets & will have a home game atmosphere for CMU -I talked with one of PU's players last Friday and the seem to be getting a "us against the world" mentality (which PU really needs more often) Too many seniors with a bad taste for losing the bucket game wanting to go out winners. Plus Tiller's record against teams he's supposed to beat is extremely good. PU:38 CMU:24 BOL

CMU had TD drives of 78, 76, and 67 yards in the second half.

Purdue's normal rotation was out there nearly the entire game from what I recall. Painter was still throwing in the 4th Q and Sheets was still carrying the rock. Vinson made a TD saving tackle on 4th down at the Purdue 2 yard line mid-way through the 4th.

That avatar looks familiar...you're a poster at Rivals correct? Hope the Boilers play well tomorrow but I really think it goes down to the wire.

Merry Christmas

Last edited:
Agreed...GL to us tee*dub

Right now I am just on the ATS at +8, but will likely add the ML tommorow as it rises throughout the day. Might be my biggest play of the Bowl period.. If you can, watch the first game , esp. the second half.. CMU learned alot.

Right now I am just on the ATS at +8, but will likely add the ML tommorow as it rises throughout the day. Might be my biggest play of the Bowl period.. If you can, watch the first game , esp. the second half.. CMU learned alot.

I have a unit on +8 and then .25 unit on ML...but my reasoning is more on the motivation factor. So far this season the motivated team has come out and played the best and are covering. CMU is easily the most motivated team here..they want to be there, and Purdue does not...simple as that.

Motivation is obviously key but lets break down what MOTIVATION really is?

Motivation in the first matchup was there for Purdue so hence the result of the blowout.

Motivation was not there for Boise State, but I can't just say that BOISE was not motivated, they lost to an equally talented team in ECU.

New Mexico was supposed to be not motivated to play in their own area for a bowl game. Well they were motivated and beat NEVADA.

Now we can have a team who is more motivated vs a team that is less motivated, but it does not always mean the team with less motivation cannot win. Sometimes talent can overcome the motivation factor.

It is tough to know exactly the real mindest of PURDUE, perhaps they are unmotivated or perhaps they are motivated to get a bowl win or end the season with a WIN. I think if you take Central MICH you cannot rely on Motivation alone.

This game is a little different in that you have a team that has NO DEFENCE when they play good teams, they are pretty good offensively.
Historically though the team in Central MICHIGANS position has hit easy, and perhaps even with a straight Up win.

However the DEFENCE on Central MICH is not great and if PURDUE is somewhat motivated, I do not think CENT MICH will be a sure winner, because of the lack of the Defence on Central Michigan. Also the total is at 70 so I think either CENT MICH wins the game or if the lose i dont think they cover

PUR is the pick in this game, I don't give a fu** about what a dumb athlete said on a webpage. Are you kidding me? That is about the most useless piece of trash I have ever seen.

Why do you even post here? I hope asshole trash like yourself pepper YOUR thread tomorrow if CMU covers...

PaintCrew, this is an EXCELLENT thread. I'm glad I read this before betting it. Good luck tomorrow...

I have to agree that Purdue seems to be the play and that Purdue's front 7 defensively and their OL are superior to CMU's. But Joe's just being as ass.

Why do you even post here? I hope asshole trash like yourself pepper YOUR thread tomorrow if CMU covers...

PaintCrew, this is an EXCELLENT thread. I'm glad I read this before betting it. Good luck tomorrow...

agreed counselor

he was laughed off of covers for him and his whole "WEATHER SCOUTS" businesss.... :36_11_6:

and now the snake is slithering around here. :down2:

Sounds like somebody had a rough Christmas. Hope things turn around for ya

PaintCrew: Excellent thread.

I have family members I spent time with yesterday who go to (well, one graduated last year, but my other cousin goes currently) Purdue and there seemed to be an apathy amongst them as well.

My cousin Michael said "They could get behind 20-0 and still win."...

That's exactly what might happen. I think CMU comes out with more energy early and takes the lead. Whether Purdue comes roaring back or not is anyone's guess, but if I have a 2-touchdown or more middle at halftime, I'll prolly bite...

GL!

Central has not beat a worthy opponent all year and until they do they won't see any of my money . . .

Magil, tonight is CMU's last game of the year so when they beat a worthy opponent(PURDUE), it will be too late for them to get any of your money!!!!

:smiley_acbe:

GL to ya man, but my money will be on CMU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Central has not beat a worthy opponent all year and until they do they won't see any of my money . . .

Bro he plays in the MAC, there are no worthy opponents.. Also, not sure a win tonight would be over a worthy opponent:36_11_6:

CMU +9.5 330/300 (Played it on Dec 3rd)
CMU ML 100/355 (Played it on Dec 3rd)
Anderson -5.5 rec yards over D.Bryant 55/50 (Played this morning at Jazz)

Just as an FYI Tom Kubat (a sports writer for the local paper) indicated in his blog that Tiller could be coaching for his job today. I hope he's gone regardless but I can't see what coach Burke would have up his sleeve to replace him so I think he's back for one more year.

With everything I've posted I'll still be cheering on the Boilers today but will be happy to collect my $$ when they blow it. Of course they are definitely capable of beating up CMU again but it will be a much tougher task for a team playing for very little.

Good luck to everyone no matter which side they played. I'm curious to see how it plays out.

PaintCrew: Excellent thread.

I have family members I spent time with yesterday who go to (well, one graduated last year, but my other cousin goes currently) Purdue and there seemed to be an apathy amongst them as well.

My cousin Michael said "They could get behind 20-0 and still win."...

That's exactly what might happen. I think CMU comes out with more energy early and takes the lead. Whether Purdue comes roaring back or not is anyone's guess, but if I have a 2-touchdown or more middle at halftime, I'll prolly bite...

GL!

A la ECU/Boise St. is what I was thinking, as well, Rex...

Motivation is obviously key but lets break down what MOTIVATION really is?

Motivation in the first matchup was there for Purdue so hence the result of the blowout.

Motivation was not there for Boise State, but I can't just say that BOISE was not motivated, they lost to an equally talented team in ECU.

Now we can have a team who is more motivated vs a team that is less motivated, but it does not always mean the team with less motivation cannot win. Sometimes talent can overcome the motivation factor.

It is tough to know exactly the real mindest of PURDUE, perhaps they are unmotivated or perhaps they are motivated to get a bowl win or end the season with a WIN. I think if you take Central MICH you cannot rely on Motivation alone.

This game is a little different in that you have a team that has NO DEFENCE when they play good teams, they are pretty good offensively.
Historically though the team in Central MICHIGANS position has hit easy, and perhaps even with a straight Up win.

However the DEFENCE on Central MICH is not great and if PURDUE is somewhat motivated, I do not think CENT MICH will be a sure winner, because of the lack of the Defence on Central Michigan. Also the total is at 70 so I think either CENT MICH wins the game or if the lose i dont think they cover

Hi Sammy, I've been reading your posts and you usually have some good points to make and I agree with you 100% that motivation cannot be the sole reason for backing a team. But judging so far from the Bowl games we have seen, motivation is significant and the more talented teams we expected to perform did not perform to the level we expected (ie Boise State (I disagree with you on ECU being equally talented but I digress), BYU, Utah).

Do I think CMU will win? Not enough to take the ML. But I think the right play on the side is +7.5 and up for the following reasons:

1) As you mentioned, CMU is more than respectable when it comes to offense. They are led by a QB who can hurt you either on the ground or through the air (yes I recognize that he has done most of his damage on the ground against weaker teams) while having a respectable run game in Hoskins. If Lefevour can maintain composure, he can keep his O on the field for long, time consuming drives. What this amounts to is that certainly, CMU's D is, well, awful, but not CMU's offense is more than capable of answering back, especially against a Purdue D that has been more or less mediocre.

2) Home field Advantage: CMU has played on this field before and will certainly have more fans in the stands than Purdue. Does this really matter in the grand scheme of things? Maybe not, but the surface certainly plays into CMU's strengths on offense and familiarity with the field never hurts.

3) I just cannot fight the gut feeling that we are going to see something similar to what occurred with Navy/Utah: I noticed a lot of people on the board saying they just couldn't trust the secondary of Navy, thus a play on Utah and I understand why people would say the same thing for this game. But not unlike what we saw with BYU/UCLA, both teams have had time to make adjustments, and to expect to see the same result of what occurred earlier in the season might not be the way to go.

Is Purdue the more talented squad, without a doubt. But I can't ignore the fact that Purdue ended its season on a terrible skid and I believe that Purdue as a squad thinks it is too good to be in such an inferior bowl game. CMU will have had the benefit of proper prep close to home over the holidays, while Purdue did not have the same luxury.

I think Purdue will likely pull this out - but I suspect it will come down to the wire via a late TD/FG in the 4th quarter or we will witness a backdoor cover. A TD plus is just too much in this one for me.

GL with your plays tonight everyone

Bryant may have been the key to the game for CMU covering. He played bad enough he got pulled as the punt returner. Maybe not wanting to be there had some affect on his play?

Merry Christmas

So...I guess no ML but I'll take the W as a Purdue fan along with the $$. The Anderson/Bryant prop may have been the best bet on the board. Nice ending to a fun discussion...hope a couple folks were able to profit from it.

Like I mentioned paint, good insight, hit it for just 3 units, but considering i had Purdue pegged at the start, this is more like a 7 unit win when you reverse it.....

BTW, that idiot jobren talks worthless shit like that in everyone's threads, mine included, so just ignore his ass......

Once again worthy insight, and do not feel compelled to defend your pick, this board is just for everyone to post their plays and reasons why......not a pissing contest.....

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Once again worthy insight, and do not feel compelled to defend your pick, this board is just for everyone to post their plays and reasons why......not a pissing contest.....

Thanks and no worries. I was entertained by it and felt like having some fun after Purdue's all-time all-purpose yardage leader decided he was too good for this bowl.

good thread my man. wish i had seen this comment by bryant before i filled out my confidence pool. no way i should had so many pts on purdue.

again, good thread and thanks.

Back