Mort's Flying Picks: Week 5

Mort The Flying Cow

Pretty much a regular
Came close on a number of plays last week, but close doesn’t cut it, so it’s time to break down this week, and there are a few games I really like. If there are any dissenting opinions, I’d love to see them. I’m not locking these in just yet so these are all STRONG leans.

PLAYS

Western Michigan -5 @ Temple: I started the season the Temple bandwagon and I think Al Golden is a good coach who will get a new job soon. But, when you are coaching a team that has been very bad for a very long team, you have to teach them to win. Temple had the chance to beat UConn and couldn’t put it away. Then they had the chance to beat Buffalo and three DBs couldn’t stop Naaman Roosevelt from catching the winning TD. Then, they held Penn St scoreless for the first quarter, before getting slaughtered (and losing their QB in the process). Western LOVES to score points and might play defense. Temple plays defense from time to time but doesn’t really score points. Advantage WMU. The Broncos smell blood in the water around the Chips and with Dante Love’s injury, the Broncos have a solid shot at winning the MAC. This win helps get them there.

Nevada ML (+155) @ UNLV: Gotta balance the road chalk with an underdog. This will likely turn in to a ML bet for me, honestly. UNLV is in a very tough spot. They are at an emotional high. They beat ranked Ariz St in OT. Then they got revenge on Iowa St for a questionable finish two seasons ago in Ames. After two, tough, emotional, hard-fought wins, the Rebels now have to get up for a RIVALRY game? Nevada will run all over the Rebels and wear them out in the end. There is no shame in getting destroyed by Missouri in Columbia. And Nevada gave Texas Tech a scare, until talent finally won out (plus a goalline fumble by Kaepernick). Nevada has had two weeks to prepare and gameplan. UNLV has two weeks of draining wins. Both teams are in a perfect spot for a Nevada W.

South Florida -10 @ North Carolian State: More road chalk! South Florida impressed the hell outta me in the win over Kansas. NCSt played an overrated East Carolina team and needed some luck to pull off that win. If the Wolfpack lose that game, this line is probably closer to 13, IMO. This is a tale of a bad conference and an overvalued win combining to create a nice line. Take the Bulls.

Pittsburgh -16 @ Syracuse: Concerned that I like FIVE road teams, but they are all playing bad home teams. This is my least confident play because The ‘Stache can always screw something up. But Syracuse is just awful and there is NO reason to think they will be able to stay in this game. That being said, there is also no way they should have beat Louisville last season, but they did. Talk me off this game, because I don’t have a problem betting against really, really, really, really bad football teams.

Houston +11.5 @ East Carolina: As SHSUHorn brought this to my attention, I had looked at it, but had too many questions about Houston. I think ECU comes out flat after losing to NC State. I think Houston is fully prepared mentally and will move the ball effectively against ECU. Also took Houston ML +330.

Weber State +39.5 @ Utah: In the MWC thread, (I can't think of who is the MWC expert, but props to him) it was brought up that Ron McBride, former Utah coach, will be honored at the game today. He also coaches Weber State. Utah plays Oregon State next week (Thur), so they should pull starters and won't run up the score. Whittingham knows that the pollsters are wanting a blowout. But 45-17 looks dominating, but isn't covering. Look for Weber State to get a late TD against Utah's second-string D to possibly backdoor, if necessary.

Last edited:
On western michigan as well for many of the same reasons you mention , Mr. Cow.

Also like the nevada ML and suspect it makes my card by weeks end.

best of luck this week , mort.

AS far as syracuse goes ...... every single time I find a reason to talk myself off or someone else off of a bet against them they make me look like an idiot by getting destroyed. I realize that i am an idiot but no reason for everyone else to figure it out.

Last week pitt actually played close to potential ...

Lovin' the road chalk this week as well; W Mich, USF and Pitt all likely to make my card.

Don't like Nevada; UNLV is the better team and while the situation sucks, I see that as the only thing going for the Wolfpack. The athletic disparity here is very noteworthy.

gl this week mort..the cuse is just awful, might be an auto fade every week eh?

Don't like Nevada; UNLV is the better team and while the situation sucks, I see that as the only thing going for the Wolfpack. The athletic disparity here is very noteworthy.

We just have to disagree here. I think UNLV is vastly overrated right now. They caught ASU sleeping and beat a bad ISU team in OT. Nevada is a much better team than Iowa State.

UNLV will get their points, but I don't think they are able to stop the Nevada rushing attack. And Kaepernick is talented enough to pass for another 200 yards in the air.

There was ZERO pressure on UNLV against Arizona State. Very little against Iowa state. However, after two impressive wins, the country is taking notice. UNLV is feeling the pressure to perform in this game and they don't know how to handle it. Neither does Sanford. That's why I like Nevada in this spot.

I was also in the stands for the Texas Tech/Nevada game. The Wolfpack played very well in this game.

Finally, a great day!

Western Mich was a win if I took it when I leaned (-3.5), but waited and it cost me money! Damn! Sometimes you win by waiting, sometimes you lose.

For Houston, I put 2 units on the line, then 1.8 units on the ML to come out ahead by 8 units! I loved that spot by Houston. Now I only wish I'd put it all on the ML, but I never expected that serious of an ass whipping.

I did expect Nevada to pour it on UNLV and I was absolutely right. The Rebels hadn't seen a player like Kaepernick this season and he ran circles around them. Wouldn't be surprised to see UNLV fall back to earth. They can score points, but they aren't going to stop teams from scoring.

Weber St was an easy play due to many circumstances. In the end, I'm actually surprised they put up 21 points. I honestly expected 42-10 final.

Can't wait to look at next week! GL TO ALL!

Back