Mort's Flying Picks: Week 4

Mort The Flying Cow

Pretty much a regular
Here we go for week four...

K-St/Lou UNDER 55.5 - Missed on the hook, but I think this is safe. I don't see 8 TDs in this game and that's what you are looking at here. Either that, or a Kardashian-sized assload of fieldgoals. I don't see either team crossing the 30 pt threshold and if one does, I'm pretty confident the other won't. Both teams play good enough defense, Louisville can't afford to turn the ball over (a Cantwell specialty this year), and K-St has had fluke finals with non-offensive TDs. Only real threat is K-St having two non-offensive TDs or going to overtime.

Miami -4 @ Texas A&M - I've kinda waffled on this game because of Miami's youth and going on the road. Playing at Kyle Field is NO comparison to playing at The Swamp, so wipe out home field advantage. A&M has no depth at OL or DL (or talent, frankly). They have a slow defense. They have no kicker, so will be forced to go for it when they normally wouldn't. Miami has speed speed and more speed. It may be a road game. The trends point towards A&M (for both A&M and Miami trends), but talent > trends.

UConn -12 vs. Baylor - I've put some thoughts out there before, but Baylor is VERY overvalued right now after Robert Griffin stole tons of pub from a game that had much more attention as a Friday game than it would have on Saturday. This is the first road test for Baylor and it's a long trip to the northeast. Donald Brown will run all over Baylor and the UConn defense will be able to keep the clamps on the Baylor offense. Griffin might make a few plays, but Baylor loses by at least 2 TDs.

TCU -24 @ SMU - While I like to stay away from rivalry games, this one may be too good to pass up. TCU is in Ft Worth and SMU is in Dallas. But, it is really just DFW and since arriving, June Jones has received all the press. Don't think that stepped on Gary Patterson's toes just a tad? The TCU defense is allowing 8 ppg (pumped up by a PR for TD by Stanford). Patterson wants to shutout SMU. Patterson wants to score 70 on SMU. I'll be surprised if this isn't 56-10. SMU has no defense and Bo Levi had 5 picks last week against a Texas Tech defense. TCU defense > Texas Tech defense.

LSU @ Auburn under 37.5 - Kinda surprised it is this high. If history is any indication, these teams love to score points in Baton Rouge and hate to score points in Auburn. Notice which school is after the @ sign. Both offenses have offensive question marks, although Auburn's are overstated. I don't think you'll see 10-7, but I can see this being 17-14.

Added:

Penn St -30 and Ohio +11 in early game parlay.

GL to all!

Last edited:
I really hate when I'm leaning towards what turns out to be the winning play... but don't pull the trigger. But then, just to have some action, I take an O/U that I really hadn't been looking at all week.

But, I'm glad to see that, after all summer telling people that K-St was bad, they proved it last night. Louisville proved that they are a decent opponent, but K-St, people, is not a good team. They win two, maybe three, Big 12 games.

Rough one last night Mort - I feel the same as I took KSU because of the number and then sat on it. We'll get it back on Saturday.

BOL this week.

gl mort ...i am gonna feel like a moron come saturday night for not going under in that auburn game.......

like miami fl as well.

2-3, sigh. But the parlay hit, which was a nice add.

Also, thanks to SHSU, I jumped on Texas and also parlayed it with TCU/Texas, so I walked away up big, despite the 2-3, with a 1-0 parlay.

Back