More Bad News For Texas As 5-star QB Decommits

TahoeLegend

Pretty much a regular
Just when it looked like things could not get worse for Texas they got the worst news yet--Quinn Ewers, the top QB in the '22 class and the most important recruit of the Herman era at Texas, has decommited and rumors are he will commit to Ohio State soon.

What a nightmare this must be for Herman. The guy works his butt of for years, finally gets his dream job, one that should be as good as any job in the country, and everything goes wrong. Every week it seems it can't get any worse, then it gets worse.

What a nightmare this must be for Herman. The guy works his butt of for years, finally gets his dream job, one that should be as good as any job in the country, and everything goes wrong. Every week it seems it can't get any worse, then it gets worse.

Herman has no one to blame but himself having completely mismanaged the program and steered it into the toilet. Part of that has to do with him being in over his head. And part of it has to do with an unbridled ego and level of narcissism - the smartest guy in the room yet the one who all too often makes the dumbest mistakes and moves. He also specializes in a shitload of gimmicks and shtick that may have worked at Houston but doesn't quite work for (what should be) an elite program.

You can point to records, games, a lack of preparation, adjustments, discipline and all else but but if you want to know how big a cluster fuck things are under him, you can look to one thing: Herman has exactly one coach on staff now that was with him when he started at Texas just four years ago. And it's not like those guys that came aboard with him are being hired away.

Meyer is less than 50/50 coming to Texas. Complicated given the administration here.

Last edited:
This is the icing on the cake if you've not seen.
That's revealing. I hadn't checked in detail, but my sense was that Texas has been getting players everyone else wants, but they kind of disappear when they get there and never live up to their potential

The only way I see Herman survives the chaos is if the suits at Texas check around and find no one they want is willing to take the job.

If I were the AD I'd give Urban so much money he can't turn it down. Texas can afford anything

As I've been saying, elite recruits go to die in Austin. We turn 5-stars into 3-s. 4-stars into 2-s. Cultural issues are at the top of the totem pole of problems and it filters down to many more things.

It's more than the AD on a Meyer call given the latter's baggage. At the end of the day and with that in consideration we have to decide if we want to be a football school. That appears to be up in the air.

Where’s Ricky? (Ok I get it)

Where’s VY?

Sad what’s going on there. Frank always sums it up proper.

I thought he was already supposed to be at USC?
Texas can go after Gruden when Urban says no thanks. Ha
I don't think he'll go to Texas but just read the rumors of the big donors wanting to make that happen. That's all.

I still think USC could be in play next year ;)

College football is better and more intriguing when Texas is a power so I hope they solve their problems.
Idk, I don’t think anyone up here cares whether Texas is good or not tbh. I know I don’t, we all look at the Big12 as a joke conference that’s waiting to be consolidated into a power 4.

College football is better and more intriguing when Texas is a power so I hope they solve their problems.

Yeah, it's good when the (historically) marquee programs are good / relevant (10 -12 of them). We continue to lead the country in merchandise sales every year but that's the only place where we're sniffing titles.

Interesting times in Austin. Will get more interesting in the coming days.

The team went full on pusssssy in the offseason, with even the fight song being a bad thing .... When you go full on pusssssy, you cannot be good at football at this level.

City of Austin is easily the pussiest city in Texas and that, over time, has just made the program soft.

There is a reason a Baylor, Texas Tech, TAMU can compete despite the fact they shouldn't be able to ..... it is the culture of the towns. Austin is just a place for shitty, pussified hippies and their SJW ways. How can a football program succeed in that environment?

Ask yourself .. where are the good football programs? Notice you didn't mention many northeast teams in your thoughts? Cause that is the homeland of the pussified folks. Think of Pac12 schools? Probably not. ... wonder why.

There is a culture inclusive of masculinity that breeds good football .. and then there are the cultures that want men to be boys or women and that just doesn't breed good football.

This isn't rocket science. Culture influences everything.

I don't doubt this contributes to things. Austin is the fastest growing and one of the most economically thriving cities in the country. Simultaneously, it's a fucked up mess that has a hard-on to be the next Portland or Seattle. It's been that way for many years but especially in the last 5 or so. That spilled over to a team this summer that got caught up in the wokeness whirlwind and it has continued to bite the team in the ass off the field and thus on the field.

But the football culture at Texas is now and has been, for 10 years, that of a country club with a thick layer of entitlement, softness, fragility, lack of discipline and accountability enveloping anyone associated with the football program. Herman is very likely / almost certainly gone. Could be sooner rather than later. The person replacing him will have to completely blow things up and that, in itself, is going to be a big fucking task.

Last edited:
Yep, at the end of his career. In his glory days Brown's locker room was run by a bunch of bad asses. Once those guys were gone it started going to hell. And it didn't help that Brown decided to take 3 years off before trying to restore his career in 2013. Thankfully, Briles put the nail in his coffin in December of that year.

Back