Monty Williams Fired

its about fucking time.... hopefully for the sake of the pelicans organization and its fans.... they do not hire scott brooks

Thibs is the goal

Cal is the funny pipe dream with AD....

Obv is whatever AD wants....Id have liked to see Dell Demps go......

SOOOOO

Does AD stay, IF they get the coach he wants and etc etc.....?

NBA guys:

why wait until this day to do it?..Was it maybe they were negotiating and it was, nah?...

I really think Monty ends up with Pop obv....was he HC material?

Why just now to fire him? Money obviously was a part of it. It's one thing to fire with a season left to the contract, it's another to do so with 2 - 3 years.
Also, no point to change coaches on a lottery team. On the other hand, Pels made the playoffs and if they feel that they are ready for the next step, it makes sense to change coaches, if they believe Monty isn't the right guy.

And, btw, I think that Monty is a decent coach that may wind up HC for another team next season already...
He got to the playoffs, despite having tons of injuries, losing Jrue (42) and Anderson (21) and Gordon (21) and Davis (14) for a lot of games.
Pels covered 3 out of 4 games against the Warriors, that shows that they played better than bookies/ public expected.

NBA guys:

why wait until this day to do it?..Was it maybe they were negotiating and it was, nah?...

I really think Monty ends up with Pop obv....was he HC material?

1. Don't need to rush , cant do too much until you know who might be available, let the dust settle.
2. Owner came out and said he likes the guy - maybe some PR stuff
3. just made the playoffs. played hard, lots to like, no need for negative bad press
4. I think at the end of the day, monty is a nice guy, the players liked him but he certainly was not going to take them to the next level. no need to "embarrass" him by firing him immediately - though i would have done it in one of the timeouts when he blew the 20 point lead at home vs gs.

I also dont think thibs is the right guy either..

Monty, Brooks, Thibs.... they are all blah to me when it comes to ingame offense.... i think that is what the pelicans need.... they need someone to help develop AD to hall of fame status...

who that someone is? I have no clue... but its definitely not Brooks or Thibs imo

I don't think that Tibs is a good fit. He runs his player in to the ground and given the fact that Pels have one of the most injury prone teams in the league...
But... I do think it will be Thibs.

I would love to see old school coach to teach AD. Sloan, Hollins, JVG - I think that Mark Jackson is a great fit as well.
There is no point in hiring Brooks - he is similar to Monty.

Good move by the Pelicans from my perspective. Although many will say this team fought through injuries and made the playoffs for the first time in years....They were one shot (that buzzer beater off a broken play by Anthony Davis to beat OKC) from not making the playoffs.

What really made me upset when watching the Pelicans was how often Anthony Davis was given the ball and asked to make something out of nothing. If Monty Williams had proper sets to get Davis the ball in situations where he could attack on offence I feel that the Pelicans would of done much better in the regular season and playoffs.

The one thing about the Pelicans is that they do not have that veteran leadership in the locker room. I think that veteran presence in the locker room should be something the GM goes after this offseason.

Good move by the Pelicans from my perspective. Although many will say this team fought through injuries and made the playoffs for the first time in years....They were one shot (that buzzer beater off a broken play by Anthony Davis to beat OKC) from not making the playoffs.

What really made me upset when watching the Pelicans was how often Anthony Davis was given the ball and asked to make something out of nothing. If Monty Williams had proper sets to get Davis the ball in situations where he could attack on offence I feel that the Pelicans would of done much better in the regular season and playoffs.

The one thing about the Pelicans is that they do not have that veteran leadership in the locker room. I think that veteran presence in the locker room should be something the GM goes after this offseason.

agree with all...Gm has some space and contracts to make those moves.. its on him now..

<hgroup>[h=1]Fletcher: Why Loomis picked Demps over Williams[/h]UPDATED 3:49 PM CDT May 13, 2015

</hgroup>
  • <iframe name="f37a3f97c" width="1000px" height="1000px" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" scrolling="no" title="fb:share_button Facebook Social Plugin" src="http://www.facebook.com/v2.2/plugins/share_button.php?app_id=106709375881&channel=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.ak.facebook.com%2Fconnect%2Fxd_arbiter%2FNM7BtzAR8RM.js%3Fversion%3D41%23cb%3Df334e9e898%26domain%3Dwww.wdsu.com%26origin%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.wdsu.com%252Ff3976ac254%26relation%3Dparent.parent&container_width=130&href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wdsu.com%2Fnews%2Flocal-news%2Fnew-orleans%2Ffletcher-why-loomis-picked-demps-over-williams%2F33001160&locale=en_US&sdk=joey&type=button_count" class="" style="position: absolute; border-style: none; visibility: visible; width: 85px; height: 20px;"></iframe>

• <iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets/tweet_button.b169aa788731255dd55f1bb243b660e1.en.html#_=1431657860932&count=horizontal&dnt=false&id=twitter-widget-0&lang=en&original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wdsu.com%2Fnews%2Flocal-news%2Fnew-orleans%2Ffletcher-why-loomis-picked-demps-over-williams%2F33001160%23.VVOwlMuBckY.twitter&related=WDSU&size=m&text=Fletcher%3A%20Why%20Loomis%20picked%20Demps%20over%20Williams%20%7C%20New%20Orleans%20-%20WDSU%20Home&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wdsu.com%2Fnews%2Flocal-news%2Fnew-orleans%2Ffletcher-why-loomis-picked-demps-over-williams%2F33001160&via=WDSU" class="twitter-share-button twitter-tweet-button twitter-share-button twitter-count-horizontal" title="Twitter Tweet Button" data-twttr-rendered="true" style="position: static; visibility: visible; width: 82px; height: 19px;"></iframe>

• <iframe frameborder="0" hspace="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" scrolling="no" tabindex="0" vspace="0" width="100%" id="I0_1431657860256" name="I0_1431657860256" src="https://apis.google.com/u/0/se/0/_/+1/fastbutton?usegapi=1&size=medium&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wdsu.com&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wdsu.com%2Fnews%2Flocal-news%2Fnew-orleans%2Ffletcher-why-loomis-picked-demps-over-williams%2F33001160&gsrc=3p&jsh=m%3B%2F_%2Fscs%2Fapps-static%2F_%2Fjs%2Fk%3Doz.gapi.en.PvR0k-FEOAk.O%2Fm%3D__features__%2Fam%3DAQ%2Frt%3Dj%2Fd%3D1%2Ft%3Dzcms%2Frs%3DAGLTcCNzS09uBBx_9YoSNtg5GWc-d60r0w#_methods=onPlusOne%2C_ready%2C_close%2C_open%2C_resizeMe%2C_renderstart%2Concircled%2Cdrefresh%2Cerefresh%2Conload&id=I0_1431657860256&parent=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wdsu.com&pfname=&rpctoken=20879480" data-gapiattached="true" title="+1" style="position: static; top: 0px; width: 90px; margin: 0px; border-style: none; left: 0px; visibility: visible; height: 20px;"></iframe>

NEXT STORY
NOPD: Missing mother, children found dead in New Orleans East

• [*=center]Text Size:
    [*=center]A
    [*=center]A
    [*=center]A

<figure class="ib-figure-video" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; min-height: 0px; width: auto;">

</figure>

NEW ORLEANS —Mickey Loomis picked Dell Demps because he's been in Dell's shoes.
<aside>

</aside>I know, I know. Many of you will say comparing the NFL to the NBA is apples to oranges. You're right, but what I'm comparing is life-defining situations and how those defining situations can have a profound effect on future decisions we make.
Mickey Loomis joined the Saints in 2000 as the director of football administration. When general manager Randy Mueller was fired in 2002, Loomis became general manager and inherited a head coach he never truly saw eye-to-eye with.
WATCH: Monty Williams speaks after being fired by Pelicans
Sure, former Saints head coach Jim Haslett and Loomis tried to coexist, but most knew the relationship was awkward and never worked. Following Hurricane Katrina, many wondered if both men would be fired.

The argument could be made that both men should have been fired.

But Loomis survived, he hired head coach Sean Payton and the rest is history. The Saints have had the greatest success in franchise history with Loomis and Payton leading the way. A clear organizational structure for the Saints was put in place after the storm, and it has worked perfectly.

So it's no surprise that Loomis decided to give Dell Demps control of the Pelicans franchise. The Demps-Williams situation has always been awkward.

Williams was hired as head coach by former team general manager Jeff Bower in June 2010. Bower was fired in July 2010 and later that month, Demps was hired.

So Demps never got to hire his head coach. Demps inherited Monty, and while the two men have a respect for one another, they never truly seemed to be on the same page.

Demps acquired players and built a team that seemed ready to run and push the pace, but Williams believed in slowing things down. Williams' team ranked 27th in pace-of-play last season.

Dell and Williams were just an awkward pairing from the get-go, and now Demps will have the opportunity to do what Loomis desperately needed to do in 2006: hire his own head coach.

I believe in Demps. I've always believed in Demps. I love the fact that he scratched and clawed to get into the NBA after going undrafted out of the University of the Pacific. I love that he played in Croatia, Turkey, Greece and the Philippines before embarking on a front office career with arguably the most well-run organization in sports, the San Antonio Spurs.

So I'm very confident in Dell hiring the right person for the Pelicans job. I'm sure he wishes he had the opportunity two years ago.

Had Dell been able to hire a head coach two years ago, he might have gone with old friend and former Spurs assistant Mike Budenholzer. Budenholzer is currently Atlanta's head coach and led the Hawks to a franchise record 60 wins this year.

So who will Dell hire?

Having the best young player in the game waiting at the door to greet you upon arrival is a great way for a coach to start his or her career. So there will be no shortage of candidates for the job in New Orleans.

Fans should also realize there is no blueprint for finding a perfect coach. Look at some of the current NBA playoff teams.

Golden State's Steve Kerr had never coached at any level until this season. Cleveland's David Blatt spent his entire career coaching in Europe and had never coached in the NBA. Memphis' David Joerger spent his career in the NBA D-league before getting the Grizzlies job, and Chicago's Tom Thibodeau spent almost 20 seasons as an NBA assistant before getting a head coaching job.

OK, all that said, who do I like as Monty Williams' replacement? I'll start with who I don't like.

I don't like former NBA head coaches Alvin Gentry, Scott Brooks, Mark Jackson and Mike Malone.

As a head coach Gentry -- who was a NOLA assistant one year for Tim Floyd -- played an up-tempo style, but overall I think he's a No. 1 assistant, not a head coach.

Brooks is a hot name after great success in Oklahoma City, but I can't help but look at the embarrassing amount of talent he had and think: Shouldn't the Thunder have a championship?

Jackson is just a more rah-rah Monty, and Malone -- who is also a former NOLA assistant -- has a style that doesn't necessarily fit the Pelicans personnel.

Assistant coaches I don't want include Robert Pack, David Fizdale and Ime Udoka.

Pack is from New Orleans and played for the New Orleans Hornets. While all three are on the radar for head coaching jobs, all remind me too much of Monty.

Quickly, I love Williams and think he'll end up as the head coach of the Magic or Nuggets or go back as an assistant in San Antonio. But when you get rid of a coach, you don't replace him with his coaching clone.

From the college ranks, I don't want University of Virginia head coach Tony Bennett. Sure, the Cavs have been great, but Bennett's teams play a borderline unwatchable, slow, defensive game that might not translate to the NBA.

Let's add two men to a list we'll title "unattainable." John Calipari and Fred Hoiberg.

Calipari would require $40 million over five years to be the president of basketball and the head coach. Sure, Anthony Davis and Tyreke Evans are two of Calipari's greatest, but I don't believe Calipari is leaving Kentucky.

Hoiberg would be amazing in New Orleans, but in my opinion he's only leaving Iowa State for the Chicago Bulls.

OK, so here we go, my top six -- since I work at channel 6 -- candidates, in no specific order, to replace Williams.

Tom Thibodeau:

Currently the head coach of the Chicago Bulls. Thibodeau and the Bulls will part ways at season's end.

Hiring Thibodeau would be a tremendous win for New Orleans. Arguably the game's best defensive coach who is a hard-as-nails basketball lifer. Yes, please!

Thibodeau also has a relationship with Davis. Thibodeau has been an assistant on team USA since Davis started playing with the national team.

Thibodeau also has enough name recognition to get a historically football-centric fan base excited.

Ettore Messina:

Currently the lead assistant coach for the San Antonio Spurs. I've been on the Messina bandwagon for quite some time.

The famed Italian coach won four euroleague championships and was named the euroleague coach of the year twice.

My personal belief is that Messina is the No. 1 guy on Demps' big board.

Sean Miller:

Currently the head coach at the University of Arizona. Just something about him. I know he's never worked in the NBA, but he's done wonders at Xavier and Arizona.

Below is a fantastic article on Miller that will get most people on his bandwagon. Read it here: The New King of the West

Kenny Atkinson:

Currently the lead assistant coach of the Atlanta Hawks. Atkinson may be the most in-demand assistant when the Hawks' playoff run ends.

After a long career playing overseas, Atkinson turned to coaching and is getting rave reviews. One of the driving forces behind Atlanta's success, I'd be shocked if Atkinson isn't a head coach in the NBA next season.

If I'm handicapping the Pelicans' coaching search, I put Messine No. 1 and Atkinson No. 2.

Becky Hammon:

Currently an assistant for the San Antonio Spurs. I've preached about Hammon before and will continue to do so.

Loomis and Demps can make history making Hammon the first female head coach in major American men's sports. But forget historical significance for a minute.

Gregg Popovich says Hammon will one day become a successful head coach like his previous disciples Steve Kerr, Avery Johnson and Mike Budenholzer. Do you need more of an endorsement than that?

She played the game, knows the game and can coach the game. Loomis and Demps would be smart to consider her.

And don't give me the, "She doesn't have enough experience." Kerr, Jason Kidd and Derek Fisher had never coached at any level when they were hired as NBA head coaches. The argument for them was, "Yeah, but they were great players!"

SO WAS SHE!

Zeljko Obradovic:

Currently the head coach at Fenerbahçe in Turkey. This is my super wildcard candidate. Maybe the most successful coach in Europe.

I won't write too much about Obradovic, because I think he's the longest of long shots, but attached is a fascinating take about his potential in the NBA.

He'd be a very interesting hire. Read the article here: Obradovic too brash to coach in the NBA? Ridiculous

Y'all need Thibs.
it seems that is the play

some hate it some love it

AD was not contacted on the firing was the report....ehhh. That is Benson being old school NFL there. Obv getting AD to sign is key.....gonna be interesting. If he stays would be incredible...

lots of rumors going around, even heard speculation Dell's job isnt entirely safe.

Was a Monty supporter.
I get the firing with the # of times the offense stalled in key moments but not really excited about the available options here. Just feel like he has dealt with injury after injury each year and by far the NBA's toughest division.

Back