Moneyline dogs. Why do I always....

scdoggy

Moderator (Honorary)
Play listed pitchers????

Especially on Big dogs +150ish and up against a high profile pitcher.

WHat made me think of this is tonight's PIT/ATL game. I'm on the Pirates with Hampton/Duke listed. Duke starts Hampton doesn't and my bet is void. Long way to go but PIT is up 2-0. and I'd certainly be in good shape to cash nearly three units on a two unit bet.

So, like all good cappers who learned this shit from some crusty fuckers that had been there, done that, seen it all ten times yada yada - I always play listed pitchers. But there are spots where you should play "action"

If anyone is betting a big dog vs. a pitcher like Santana, Beckett, Bedard, Penny, Sabathia, etc. You should play action. Sure, you run the risk of the team you backed trotting Byung Hyun Kim's shorter, skinnier cousin out on the mound, but how much will that effect the already high price? There's more to gain by playing action here and rolling the dice that the fave pitcher doesn't start. If you catch it in time, you'll have a great shot at hedging, and if not you're getting incredible value.

Certainly in most instances we should always play listed pitchers, but this is a prime examply of a spot when you shouldn't. Not sure why I haven't been doing this all along, but its time to start...

When you play action, you get the line adjusted after the scratch, not the line you bet before the scratch.

You can also list just one pitcher. If you're playing on or against a pitcher, you should list at least that pitcher. If your wager has more to do with other stuff, action.

Thanks Tip

Really? I didn't realize the line is fluid when you play action. So if the line moves throughout the day for other reasons you get the line at first pitch? What if the line moves in your favor? Or does the change in price only apply if these is a pitching change. Are you sure about this??

I know at Pinnacle and many of the books I've used in the past you could select one pitcher. I'm making most of my plays at BetJM and you can only list both or take action - which does suck.

I'm going to go look up their rules on action vs. listed. This has got me thinking....

You're right Tip......

"If one scheduled pitcher starts against an unscheduled pitcher, "action" wagers will be computed by the opening price with the new pitcher."

Your line isn't fluid on your action or listed wager if the listed pitchers go. You're locked in there. But they're not going to pay you +300 against the Mets if Santana gets scratched. You'll get the adjusted line.

Off the subject, but by the way, how are people still playing at pinny?

You have to be a non-US Resident. I'm sure there are ways to set that up, but I meant to include Pinny in the list I've used in the past. I haven't played with them since the horrible day when they stopped taking bets from US Residents.

I checked with BetJM and apparently they do allow you to list only one pitcher, but I've never figured out how to do it.

Thanks, sc. I still print their lines out of habit, if only to keep the local honest. I'm all 1950's-style now, shady fat guy on the corner.

That's funny Tip. Pinny had become such a way of life. And though the chocie I have now is far from Pinnacle calibre - they do offer dime lines to -190 and I've never had once ounce of trouble getting paid. But I certainly considered the local route. Problem is, most of the ones that I know of around here are far from dependable and I am always worried that if I hit them hard enough, their phones might not work for a while....

Damn I miss pinny and neteller. They're like that favorite unlce you had that would let you sneak beers when you were 10. .....

That answer is easy Joe - so I can win money to give back to the books during the NFL season.

Welcome back smartass.

Good point, thanks, oh and:

jeffersons-tee-shirt.jpg

i was on the same play, doggy. sucks, but i still only play (well, 99% of the time) listed pitchers...for the simple reason that's how i capped the game.

Back