Monday Three Picks Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Best Bets June 12: Cardinals Are Great Underdogs Tonight

Colorado Rockies vs. Boston Red Sox
Monday, June 12, 2023 at 7:10 p.m. ET at Fenway Park in Boston

Who Starts for Colorado?

Connor Seabold starts for the Rockies tonight.

Seabold enters tonight's game in strong form: after limiting Arizona to one run in 5.1 innings, he most recently held San Francisco to two runs in six innings in Denver.

His effectivity overall derives largely from that of his fastball.

This pitch is important to him because it makes up 55.5 percent of his arsenal.

When he's in good form, he'll command the strike zone with his fastball in that he distributes it evenly along both sides of the plate.

He also likes to elevate this pitch, whereby it plays well off his slider, which is his second favorite pitch.

By elevating his fastball and burying his slider, he changes the batter's eye level.

Moreover, he uses both pitches to create a change of pace because an average 7.3 mph velocity differential exists between them.

Bad Spot for Both Lineups

Boston's lineup is in a bad spot because it's hitting poorly: it has scored no more than three runs in any of its last five games.

But Colorado's lineup is also in a bad spot because it is coming from super hitters-friendly Coors Field.

It is hard to transition from playing in Coors Field to a less hitters-friendly ballpark.

Who Starts for Boston?

James Paxton starts for Boston tonight.

Paxton's ERA is as high as it is because of one bad start.

He allowed two runs or fewer in his other four starts.

He'll likewise limit a Rockies' team that, in its road games, slugs .303 against his favorite pitches from lefties.

Best Bet: Under 10 at -118 with Heritage

San Francisco Giants vs. St. Louis Cardinals
Monday, June 12, 2023 at 7:45 p.m. ET at Busch Stadium in St. Louis

Who Starts for San Francisco?

Logan Webb starts for the Giants tonight.

San Francisco is favored on the road because Webb has stronger numbers than his Cardinals' counterpart.

Though tempting, it would be a mistake to consider Webb's last start against St. Louis and to trust him accordingly.

That start took place back in April.

Since then, however, the Cardinals have improved massively against one of his favorite pitches to throw, the slider.

In April, the Cards slugged .304 against the slider from righties.

But in June, they are 19-for-59 with a .729 slugging rate against this pitch from righties.

Cardinal Batters vs. Webb

The thing is, even viewed apart from their initial struggles with the slider, they match up well against Webb.

Overall this season, they rank fifth in slugging .416 against Webb's pitches from righties -- Webb also features a sinker and changeup.

But since June, they rank first in slugging .577 against his pitches from righties.

Without having to fear his slider, the Cardinals will thrive.

San Francisco's Lineup

The Giants' lineup is in a bad spot.

Scoring-wise, San Francisco regularly falls flat after exploding for a double-digit output.

To be exact, San Francisco averages 2.8 runs in games following one in which they scored double-digits -- this average is even inflated because one of those games took place in high-altitude Coors Field.

Therefore, the Giants are in a let-down spot.

But their lineup is also in a tough spot because St. Louis starts a lefty -- Mike Liberatore -- and the Giants hit lefties poorly.

Best Bet: Cardinals ML at +116 with BetOnline

Cincinnati Reds vs. Kansas City Royals
Monday, June 12, 2023 at 8:10 p.m. ET at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri

Who Starts for the Reds?

Luke Weaver starts for Cincinnati tonight.

It might be tempting to go against Weaver because of what he did in his last start.

But he faced a vastly more difficult team in the Dodgers than the one he'll face tonight.

Let's not forget that he is capable of pitching well: he held Miami, for example, to one run in 5.1 innings, and he shut out the Cardinals over the course of 6.1 innings.

Plus, oddsmakers assigned this game one of the highest totals on today's card, so it is already implied that today's starting pitchers are rather bad.

Weaver vs. Royals' Batters

While Weaver has been bad this season, this fact works in our favor because his season-long struggles help inflate the total while tonight's game will go "under" because he will look great tonight.

To explain, he matches up superbly against the Royals with his mixture of pitches.

He throws a fastball, changeup, cutter, and curveball.

Kansas City ranks 29th in slugging .360 against Weaver's pitches from righties.

Matchup aside, the Royals are hitting terribly right now: they've scored a combined total of eight runs in their last five games.

Who Starts for Kansas City?

Zack Greinke starts for the Royals tonight.

Greinke is strong at home, where his ERA is 3.00 and where he yields a .360 slugging rate.

More historically, he's slated to thrive because he is 8-2 with a 2.38 ERA in his career against the Reds.

The Pick

Greinke doesn't like to pitch past five innings and the Royals' bullpen is awful, so let's stick to a first-half play.

Best Bet: First-Half under 5 at -115 with BetOnline

I finally got to pick some games! So tired of hitter props that I don't even post them anymore. I just hate that they make me write exactly 250-266 words per pick.

Tempted personally to just go Cardinals TT over. While Liberatore does suck, I still think Giants hitting is in a bad spot. Giants also had a bullpen day yesterday, using up six different relievers, whereas Cards have Gallegos and Helsley fresh. Overall I think it's a good dog play.

Can make a case for the Texas pitcher

I don't know what to do with that team, pretty sure they've overachieved but so have the Halos

I don't know what to do with that team, pretty sure they've overachieved but so have the Halos
I kind of like Texas. Kind of like the over. Decided to pass.

Texas does kill fly ball pitching and lefties, 10th in slugging vs Tyler Anderson‘s pitches from lefties

Lol I can't do metrics

Big picture me wishies there was a wager available on Houston or Seattle to win the division

Rangers and Angels are living the good life in a bubble but fairly sure they are both behind the best two teams in the division come mid September

Lol I can't do metrics

Big picture me wishies there was a wager available on Houston or Seattle to win the division

Rangers and Angels are living the good life in a bubble but fairly sure they are both behind the best two teams in the division come mid September

I can’t believe how good Eovaldi and Gray have been. I‘m sure they both decline as the season goes on

Reactions: KJ
Oy

I like the Giants today and it's a pure fade of the Cards after yesterday. Sucks you're anti Webb, he's the only pitcher I like today lol
Seems like we’re never on the same side unless Kevin <3 is playing

I played dunning over 15.5 outs, he generally pitches pretty well vs laa.

Kinda shocked cards are hitting anything better this month, they averaging less than 4 runs a game in June! Besides earlier this season Webb dominated them in a start in stl last year also. I think his change up was his most effective weapon vs cards last meeting as he threw it more than 37% the time and only threw sliders 17%. Outside the last start at coors Webb has been fantastic, I have a tough time thinking cards are gonna be a problem for him. I don’t like cards at all, I think the price more than justified cause Webb is way better than Liberatore even if giants a good matchup for him. I still don’t think he will go deeper than 5 innings, he walks too many and hasn’t really shown the ability to put hitters away quickly. Even if we like Gallegos and Helsly I’d think cards gonna have at least 2+ innings to cover before getting to them. I just can’t see cards scoring more than 3-4 runs in this game, I have a tough time expecting a Liberatore start combined with cards pen doesn’t result in at least 4 runs! I’m not jumping to play giants as favs but don’t think it enough plus for me to look at cards. I agree with the move in giants direction, if it was still a -105 type line I’d play San Fran.

If you do like Liberatore vs giants id think the Ff under 4.5 would make sense in this game. I just don’t see cards scoring more than 2 off Webb, that might be high!

another thing to consider, after Liberatore gets ran do cards have any lhp out the pen that worth a damn? I can’t think of any.
I do likewise think Liberatore is trash. I'm hoping for something like what he did vs Brewers, though, and I have more belief in Cards' lineup

I do likewise think Liberatore is trash. I'm hoping for something like what he did vs Brewers, though, and I have more belief in Cards' lineup

I think I prefer San Francisco lineup to milw but not real sure bout that, neither real good especially vs lhp. You def trust cards lineup more than me, I be shocked if Webb didn’t post a QS.

Back