Monday Player Props Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Player Props April 17: Expect Just Another Great Day from Nathaniel Lowe

Texas Rangers vs. Kansas City Royals
Monday, April 17, 2023 at 7:40 p.m. ET at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri

Who Starts for Kansas City?

Jordan Lyles starts for Kansas City.

His current 5.19 ERA is consistent with his career-long ERA.

Evidently, he is a pitcher who batters tend to perform well against.

This tendency is especially evident in his most recent starts.

He allowed five runs in 5.2 innings on April 6 before, most recently, allowing four runs in 6.1 innings.

This most recent start took place against these very same Rangers who will be extra prepared for this game because they get to see him again so soon.

Lyles' Vulnerabilities

Two things make Lyles particularly vulnerable.

One, his pitches themselves aren't effective.

His favorite pitch is his fastball, which he throws just over 33 percent of the time.

This pitch ranks in the 13th percentile in velocity and in the 29th percentile in spin.

As a result, batters have little difficulty keeping up with it or tracking its movement.

Two, Lyles often struggles to locate his pitches well.

Heat maps show that he frequently places his anyhow lower-quality pitches in the more middle parts of the strike zone where batters more easily make good contact with them.

My Favorite Rangers' Batter

We should invest in a Rangers' batter to take advantage of Lyles' vulnerability.

My favorite one is Nathaniel Lowe for two reasons.

One, Lowe matches up well against Lyles given the pitches that he throws.

Lowe slugs .679 in 28 at-bats against Lyles' favorite pitches.

Two, Lowe is a consistent force, having earned at least one hit in 11 straight games.

Therefore, let's invest in him to record 2+ total bases, which means that we need him to get at least two singles, or a double, etc.

Best Bet: Nathaniel Lowe to record 2+ total bases at -115 with Bovada

Arizona Diamondbacks vs. St. Louis Cardinals
Monday, April 17, 2023 at 7:45 p.m. ET at Busch Stadium in St. Louis

Who Starts for Arizona?

Merrill Kelly starts for Arizona today.

He might seem unreliable in view of his attractive ERA.

But ERA is just a surface-level statistic that masks other factors.

As such, it lacks predictive validity because it does not do a good job of indicating a pitcher's quality.

Specifically, Kelly's ERA masks a 4.76 FIP (like ERA but factors out fielding), which shows that he is performing poorly.

Kelly has benefitted from allowing a BABIP (batting average of balls in play) that is fortunately low in view of the high rate at which he is allowing hard contact.

Opponents are regularly crushing his pitches, and it is only a matter of time until those instances of hard contact translate into hits with higher frequency.

Plus, Kelly's command of the strike zone has been poor.

He is walking 7.04 batters per nine innings.

This walk rate is a consequence of the consistency of his poor command, as he has walked four batters in each of his three starts so far.

Right now, he is often starting batters out with a strike before shying away from the strike zone, which ultimately leads to walks.

But I imagine that Kelly will want to fix this walk tendency by throwing more strikes.

Look Out for Cardinal Nolan Arenado

Nolan Arenado is primed to take advantage of Kelly's vulnerability.

He is 4-for-10 with a double and a homer in his career against Kelly.

Plus, he is already enjoying solid form, as evident in his .333 BA and .470 slugging rate.

Therefore, let's expect him to record 2+ total bases via multiple singles, or at least one double, etc.

Best Bet: Nolan Arenado to record 2+ total bases at +100 with Bovada

Chicago Cubs vs. Oakland Athletics
Monday, April 17, 2023 at 9:40 p.m. ET at Oakland Coliseum in Oakland

Who Starts for Oakland?

Kyle Muller starts for Oakland today.

His ERA certainly looks unattractive, but Muller defenders might point to the fact that he has really only had one bad start.

Most recently, he surrendered six earned runs in four innings against the Orioles.

But there is something telling about that negative performance that creates promise for certain Cub batters.

To explain, Muller is a lefty.

He is your standard left-handed pitcher who fares better against left-handed batters while struggling more extensively against right-handed batters.

To be exact, lefties are hitting .222 with him on the mound whereas righties are hitting a vastly more impressive .271 against him.

Most pitchers rely on off-speed stuff as a weapon against opposite-handed batters.

Two classic weapons that lefties like to rely on against right-handed batters are the curveball and changeup.

While Muller throws these two pitches, they are his least frequent pitches.

Overall and even against righties, he features his fastball and slider.

Especially his fastball, which is his favorite pitch, is most vulnerable, as evident in the .321 BA that it yields.

Choosing A Cubs' Righty

We'll want to invest in a Cubs' right-handed batter who specializes in hitting left-handed pitching.

The righty vs. lefty matchup yields great value in a rather underrated Cubs' batter, Patrick Wisdom.

Wisdom has a lot of power in his swing, which makes him tempting for extra-base props.

He is especially reliable against lefties -- he slugs 1.077 against them.

Investing in him to record 2+ total bases via two or more singles, a double, a triple, or a home run, is especially exciting because he is listed at plus odds.

Best Bet: Patrick Wisdom to record 2+ total bases at +130 with Bovada

I don’t think there anything In itself being a Lhp featuring fb/slider vs righties. You can dominate with those 2 pitches assuming they good enough which I doubt is true in any Oakland pitchers case! Steele took apart dodger righties this weekend throwing primarily fb/slider, Kershaw has other offerings of course but I think in his prime fb/slider was the preferred pitches he attacked with. Obviously Kyle muller hadnt ever been confused for either those guys and if your slider doesn’t have enough bite or you can’t locate it down and in to righties it becomes a easy pitch to hammer if it hangs up in the zone. You need a fastball with some kind of special characteristics as well, steele’s isn’t particularly fast but seems to get on hitters quicker than they realize, Muller velo isn’t much different than steele’s on that pitch and he actually has slightly more spin, something about it must make it easier to pick up than others. His location w the fastball to righties stands out as he tends to avoid coming inside with it much working the upper outside half the plate and also a not very wise location low in middle the plate, not a ideal place to throw them! Even the away fastball where he tends to throw them seems ideal for a power hitter like wisdom to blast it to right center. He does a pretty good job getting the slider down and in and looks like a good pitch, judging by where he throws both pitches I don’t think it a ideal combination against righties, I think If he threw the fastball more up and came in with it that would set his slider up better, right now hitters should be able to let that outside heater get deep and do damage, plus the longer they can wait on heater the easier it be to recognize slider.

He is long and it seems like he could have the tools, in his limited career he hasn’t allowed a very high ops to either side really, righties have a much higher ops mostly thanks to last season he got hit hard in limited chances. Far as A’s pitchers go he actually looks like a kid that has big league ability, like many young pitchers I think he needs work on what kind of pitches he throwing and where in what counts but the stuff seems to be there, he was part the trade who sent a very good catcher away so you would think he one the few guys on Oakland staff who belongs in the bigs! I don’t think he a front the rotation ace type but if you a legit big leaguer that instantly vaults you to opening day starter for A’s! Lol

Last edited:
Muller has had to face a pretty tough set of teams to start the year, fairing pretty well til O’s clobbered him, something they gonna do to plenty pitchers. In A’s park which I think one the more pitcher friendly in the league he could fair well with that fastball location, think you gotta be one the more powerful right handed bats to go yard to right center in the Oakland air. Wisdom is pretty big and strong, I don’t know how many home runs he pulls compared to right center/opposite field but he certainly strong enough to drive it out to all fields.

Last edited:
Pitcher friendly, obviously! Fixed that, lol.

That game looks to me like another potentially low scoring game for scrubbies out on west coast. That not any comment on wisdom as I’d think he probably the righty most likely to get the 2+ bases on one swing tonight.

Back