Monday NBA Thoughts

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
14-9-1 +11.40 units

Well, we couldn't get the win on Sunday. Bad shooting by an excellent offense and not the usual amount of threes. That first half was sorta feeling out as well. 2nd half hova was a grat play for anyone that played it. We certainly got enough FT's too. Either way, we move on. Boston did what I had a feeling they would do. Should have followed my hunch but thats okay. Gonna be a 2nd round war between the Cavs and Celtics. I expect he full seven here.

I really don't know what to think of the Hornets and Spurs game. Of course I want to think the expereinced Spurs team that plays so well on the road will rebound and have just a great showing in Game 2. You can say we should expect a great defensive showing but again, this Hornets team is such a tough matchup for any defensive squad. Wondering if the Spurs lack of athletiscm has finally caught up to them. Almost hoping for another hornets win so I can go ahead and lay that six points in Game 3 with the spurs in a desperation spot. No doubt Timmay responds tomorrow but New Orleans is just gaining confidence each and every day.

Now onto Game Two in Auburn Hills. That was a helluva second half performance the Stons put on Saturday night. They just own this team right now. Yes, they split the season series but look deeper. Orlando won on the buzzer-beater down there. The game here was the first post ASG where anything can happen anywhere in the league. Now, are the Magic getting closer? Of course. Detroit matches up great because the Magic don't have physical guards, Pistons defend the 3-pt line very well and we have the bigs to keep D-Howard from being dominant.

I will say this. This has turned into a nice little rivalry. Lets go back to 1996. Yes, some of you youngsters were quite young and prolly won't remember this. This was the start of bad relations between these teams. Fast forward to the playoffs where the Magic swept us 3-0. That was Detroits return after four years and was bittersweet. The real fun though occured in a regular season game at the O-rena. The Magic were pounding us by about 20 I would say. One of their bench guys, Anthony Bowie, was one assist away from a triple-double. Brian Hill called timeout with a few seconds left to set up a potential play for him to get that 10th assist. It was pure douchebaggery. The best part was our coach then, Doug Collins, ordered all the players to sit on the court or stand in the backcourt. I'll never forget seeing Lindsey sitting on the court indian style..lmao. Shit, Walter Bond may have been out there Marlo..heh. Anyways, it was the tainted triple-double and was a big thing back then. Nothing much for a few years till Grant Hill was a FA. Of course, that was ou franchise guy and they stole him from us. Basically, we knw nothing of this Atkins/Wallace duo we got in the sign n trade. Well, we all know how that trade worked out. The next step though was the 2003 playoffs. This was the first year of Hamilton/Billups/Prince here in Detroit. Detroit was the top seed and immediately lost game one. The series was 3-1 after Game 4 in Orlando. I remember vividly Bill Walton calling the series over and T-Mac put his foot in he mouth after that game saying same thing. Well, I remember being at Game 5 and we crushed them. In Game 6 at Orlando, Chillups poured in 40 as we stole that game. Then we blew them out in Game 7 behind Chaunceys 37. The thing about that series was that the rookie Prince really frustrated McGrady in Games 2, 5-7. Its basically where his reputation started. Now, he started to regain that rep last round versus Iggy.

Game One was physical and got a bit chippy. Theo called the Magic finesse, which they are. The Magic obviously didn't like it and said "Theo who?" There were hard fouls and technicals. Playoff basketball at its finest. The Orlando staff will use that as motivation. But will it matter? I think Detroit wins again but it will be a cloer game and a 4th quarter battle. My first playoff game this year so I surely hope the Stons get the job done. Really no lean as I see it around the number. Small lean on he under.

Good luck on your wagers.:cheers:

Thanks for your thoughts Bar. Always enjoy reading your view of your team. Still, Detroit always needs just a bit of motivation to spark things up and Orlando has given it to them. Detroit should win this one 7+ margin...

Large difference of opinion. Close call on if Orlando wins the game. Going into the first game Detroit was on 1 days rest (normally best) and coming off a series where they looked very bad. Orlando was off a series where they had a big edge and finished quickly and looked better than they are. They had had 4 days rest and were WAY off their game. Now both teams are on 1 days rest (best for both) but it is 7th game for Detroit without 2 days rest Unlike Orlando and Detroit is still mostly an old team and Orlando is the team looking bad. Would expect much better rebounding, free-throw shooting, 3 point shooting. No idea who wins the game so probably do a mix of ML and points.

I just think that the spurs know they have to win this game. They are not going to beat the hornets in 4 out of 5 games in my opinion.... and I think they know it as well. To me that makes this game an elimination game of sorts for the spurs. On the other hand, I just don't have confidence that the hornets sustain the intensity and level of skill that they showed in game 1. I am thinking spurs moneyline solely on the motivational/situational angles. I cant cap this league for crap and dont try but i am actually thinking of putting money on this one.

Concerned when you say that san antonios lack of athleticism may have caught up with them but i dont really get that. Can you explain it better for me ... i mean they have been matched up with some athletic teams in their championship runs ( most notably the suns teams ) and handled then well enough .... what makes new orleans so different ?? or are the spurs just that much older now ?

I do know this much. Tim Duncan is coming to play in this game. He will get calls in this game , even on the road. Am I crazy to think the spurs win here ??

Tuck-4th in 7 days for Detroit. They ALWAYS play better playing every other day as opposed to having a break. Now, I understand the ORL being in better rythm and cannot deny that. Detroit has played 10 straight quarters of excellent basketball. Lets also remember that the minutes have not been very high on Thursday and Saturday due to blowouts. The guys have said it and they are right..they basically went almost a full month without playing their regular minutes. Took awhile to get back in form. Hamilton is as healthy as he has been in awhile and looks like the Rip from earlier this year that was just fantastic.

Kyle, your not crazy for thinking SA can win this game. They most certainly can. Everyone on N.O. plays a perfect role. They run a great pick and roll and SA doesn't have a body IMO to match up against Chandler. Duncan is a helluva defensive player but moreso in post situations and help defense. The Hornets create mismatches quite often with Pauls ability.

Blue-I have always played spots such as. The last two years have been a bit different it seems but this round I see being more on form if we get some 2-0's from the home teams.

Divol-Both teams are talking. Detroit loves that. We will see how Orlando responds to it.

No comparison possible between the Suns and the Hornets. The Suns were a new team. New teams really have no chance. Everyone on the Hornet team knows what they are supposed to do and where they should be.

Bar I think you are right- Hornets have WEST and PAUL and Spurs can be beat by the right type of team-- Paul passing, Peja, D West, and to tell you the truth I have watched this playoffs, I dont think Duncan can score one on one in the post anymore. He gets a lot of passes from Parker and fouls shots. He will be bothered by Chandler.

I think Detroit can take out Orlando again, since when does a team with no D playing soft pose a problem to Detroit?? Detroit is Detroit and Orlanod is jump shooters

No comparison possible between the Suns and the Hornets. The Suns were a new team. New teams really have no chance. Everyone on the Hornet team knows what they are supposed to do and where they should be.

Not to mention Spurs stealing Game1 set the tone and then shutting Pho down in the 2nd H of game 2 to comeback really was the deciding factor in the series. Suns played really well and were still down 0-2 , I knew it was over right there...home court was to huge in those 1st games and had Pho played like that and been home they would have won the series IMO..

think Tuck I agree with u here...Spurs were lights out from 3 in the 1st H vs NO once that stopped it was all NO...and I mean lights out think 9 trifectas in the 1st H...Hornets looking to polished right now IMO and also Paul sat alot with 3 1st H fouls something to look for...

In det I was thinking the samething huge edge for DET with the rest factored in for both in game 1...think this one is closer and like the points...

GL all....

ALso everytime a team loses like the Spurs, 2 things will happen. They will either win it all this year and beat everyone in the west or lose this year?

I think the Hornets are just the team to beat them. IT is the changing of the guard, CP3 is too good and they are too big IMO for the spurs. West and Chandler, ELI and Peja are all tall players-- I think they know they can beat the Spurs-

Why not the Hornets can beat the Spurs IMO, as they have won every game at home this playoffs- spurs are used to beatinng NASH, they have not contended with a player liKE CP3, who can burn them he is too fast and they are too old to stop him-

Also dont like MANU's game he is jacking up the 3 all day

i was more talking about the suns teams during the spurs championship runs , not the shaq suns team.

One of the most athletic teams ever imo. Perhaps it is the athleticism with length that will give them problems ... shit i dont know.

Just seems to me that what you are all saying is that new orleans executes better with their athletes or that their pick and rolls create harder mismatches for the spurs to defend.

Also seems like the spurs get underestimated every single year and the mantle is running out of room for trophies.

i was more talking about the suns teams during the spurs championship runs , not the shaq suns team.

One of the most athletic teams ever imo. Perhaps it is the athleticism with length that will give them problems ... shit i dont know.

Just seems to me that what you are all saying is that new orleans executes better with their athletes or that their pick and rolls create harder mismatches for the spurs to defend.

Also seems like the spurs get underestimated every single year and the mantle is running out of room for trophies.

The hornets are a nearly flawless on offense, not huge names but one of the most efficient PGs paired with an efficient PF in West and you know what... theres an efficient 3pt shooter in peja and an efficient rebounder in Tyson.

Spurs are not getting underestimated in THIS situation. Hornets were underestimated all year even when they were leading the division, experts said theyd drop off to the lower seeds, then vs dallas they were underestimated, and now vs the Spurs.

Detriot seems to want to make a statement after round 1...

detroit

of course but maybe they're just warmed up now and they're ready to play Pistons basketball after the collective reduction in starters minutes. Seems that the Stons are now awake for the real season to begin and have shown the style of play that will allow them to win.

You also have to give an edge to Detroit in terms of poise and focus. Orlando isn't up to snuff when it comes to the pistons record of post season performance.

Blue-I have always played spots such as. The last two years have been a bit different it seems but this round I see being more on form if we get some 2-0's from the home teams.

Hopefully the Hornets can be one of those 2-0 home teams...

:popcorn:

GL BAR

The Spurs get undersold the year after they win a championship for good reason - they simply dont repeat championships.

Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

Pain in the back(court)
 In the four-game sweep over the Magic last postseason, Pistons guards Chauncey Billups and Richard Hamilton outscored the Magic starting backcourt of Jameer Nelson and Grant Hill , 162-117. This year, it's Nelson and Maurice Evans , but the result was the same. Billups-Hamilton outscored them, 36-11, in Game 1.
 "The reason they can't (contain Billups-Hamilton) is because we run our offense," coach Flip Saunders said. "No matter who we go to, it should be tough to guard if we run our offense. We get stagnant when we start to go one-on-one. That's not what we do well."
<!--startclickprintexclude-->
<!-- OAS AD 'ArticleFlex_1' begin --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript> <!-- OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1'); //--> </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1><!--var TFSMFlash_VERSION=6;var TFSMFlash_WMODE="transparent";var TFSMFlash_OASCLICK="http://gcirm.dmp.gcion.com/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/mi-detroit.detnews.com/sports/basketball/nba/pistons/article.htm/51214795/ArticleFlex_1/OasDefault/DMP-carscomboadpromo-0130-ROP/DMP-carscomboadpromo-0130-160.html/34356464356338373438316631323530";var TFSMFlash_SWFCLICKVARIABLE="?clickTAG=http://gcirm.dmp.gcion.com/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/mi-detroit.detnews.com/sports/basketball/nba/pistons/article.htm/51214795/ArticleFlex_1/OasDefault/DMP-carscomboadpromo-0130-ROP/DMP-carscomboadpromo-0130-160.html/34356464356338373438316631323530?https://detroit.ppgmti.com ";var TFSMFlash_SWFFILE="http://gcirm.dmp.gcion.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/OasDefault/DMP-carscomboadpromo-0130-ROP/600car_v2.swf"+TFSMFlash_SWFCLICKVARIABLE;var TFSMFlash_IMAGEALTERNATE="http://gcirm.dmp.gcion.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/OasDefault/DMP-carscomboadpromo-0130-ROP/160x600.gif";var TFSMFlash_OASALTTEXT="Click Here";var TFSMFlash_OASTARGET="_blank";var TFSMFlash_OASPROTOCOL="http://";var TFSMFlash_OASDIM="WIDTH='160' HEIGHT='600'";var TFSMFlash_OASADID="ad_banner";document.write('<scr'+'ipt src="http://gcirm.dmp.gcion.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/OasDefault/DMP-carscomboadpromo-0130-ROP/TFSMFlashWrapper201.js"></scr'+'ipt>');--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://gcirm.dmp.gcion.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/OasDefault/DMP-carscomboadpromo-0130-ROP/TFSMFlashWrapper201.js"></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
<SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next MM_FlashCanPlay = ( IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & MM_contentVersion)))</SCRIPT><!-- OAS AD 'ArticleFlex_1' end -->
<!--endclickprintexclude--> That's what happened in the second quarter when the Pistons committed four of their six turnovers.
 "These guys thought they could score whenever they wanted. They can't," Saunders said. "They score out of our offense. That's when they are at their best. Even though it may be perceived as a mismatch, we have to get to those mismatches out of motion, not isolation."
 Here's a breakdown of the backcourt dominance:
Game 1: Pistons 44, Magic 24
Game 2: Pistons 43, Magic 30
Game 3: Magic 35, Pistons 31
Game 4: Pistons 44, Magic 28
Game 1: Pistons 36, Magic 11
Cheese with that whine?
 If there was a theme in Magic coach Stan Van Gundy' s postgame remarks, it was that the Pistons hack and whack and clutch and grab throughout an entire 48-minute game. He mentioned the Pistons physicality so much that you had to believe he was trying to plant a seed on the officiating crew for Game 2.
 "Probably so, but that's us," Chauncey Billups said. "We make a living doing that. That would be like us going out and telling the officials to watch (the Magic's) toes on the 3-point line. That's what they do, they shoot 3-pointers. So we come and say, watch their toes on the line, that's like trying to take away from what they do.
 "We're a physical team and whatever happens, we will play the same way and live or die with that."
 Billups was asked if he thought the Magic would continue to try to match the Pistons' physicality.
 "That's what we do," he said. "We play physical and we feed off other teams when they try to be physical on us. It's like somebody coming to your house and doing exactly what you wanted. They feed right into what you wanted them to do.
 "They play hard, man. They don't play as physical as us, but they shoot that 3-pointer. If they can do that, they have a chance. If they want to rough it up, it's going to be tough."
Threes aren't free
 During the regular season, the Magic averaged 25 3-point attempts per game and made 9.7 of them. In the four games against the Pistons, they averaged 18.4 and made 8.7. The Pistons continued to deny the three-ball in Game 1, holding the Magic to a season-low 2-for-15.
 "That's what you do, you try to take something away," coach Flip Saunders said. "It's a matter of wills. We were in the top three as far as defending the 3-point line (No. 2) and they shoot a lot of threes. So it is going to be a matter of will they be able to get enough threes off or will we be able to stop them."
 Because the Magic like to deploy their shooters in spot-up positions (corners and wings), as opposed to creating openings off movement, the Pistons were able to play a wide zone. That enabled them to both contain penetration into the lane and close out on shooters.
 "I told my team, and it was an honest thing, that I have to take a lot of the blame offensively," coach Stan Van Gundy said. "I just have to set up some stuff where we can get better movement and more ball movement to create additional opportunities. We were constantly battling with people on our bodies. We have to try and get into stuff where they can't do that as much."
No mismatch
 The last thing the Magic probably expected was for 6-foot-7 Jason Maxiell to guard 6-11 Dwight Howard .
 "I am sure they looked at that matchup and said, 'We're going after that. We're going to get everything we can out of that,' " Chauncey Billups said. "Dwight is one of the great players in the game today, so was probably a little surprised too to see how hard Max played and how tenacious he is."
 Maxiell blocked one of Howard's shots early and never let him get comfortable.
 "There is never a mismatch with Max out there because his heart is as big as anybody's," Billups said.
 Of course, Maxiell got plenty of help. Antonio McDyess , Rasheed Wallace and Theo Ratliff all got their licks in on Howard.
 "A guy like Max can get into your legs and beat on you down in the lower region," Ratliff said. "Then when the taller guys are in there, they are hitting him in a different spot. We are getting different looks and different hits on him in different positions and that wears on you."
<!--endclickprintinclude--><!-- EDITORIAL: end body of the story -->

Tuck/Kyle-to answer your quesion...tuck he was referring to the past editions of the Suns. Kyle, those teams had the athletes but not the size and NO defense. The Spurs offense was/is always so efficient against that squad. This Hornets team plays dayum good team defense.

Meatballs-Don't underestimate Duncan. Lets give it a few more games. He just scored 40 on the Suns last series who brought in O'neal because he "owns" Duncan fwiw. Orlando will try and jack up more threes tonight but Detroit guards that line well. Orlando averaged about 6 fewer attempts in the Detroit season series compared with their other 78 games.

Nut-I really have to disagree a bit though with you and Tuck on this "rest" angle. Thre days rest for Orlando shouldn't have produced any rust at all. Now, yes I said earlier their will be a better rythm for this team tonight but I think too much is being read into this.

Kyle-the Spurs are that under the radar great team...then again they have always disapointed the year after claiming a championship. I wouldn't underestimate them. Tonight will tell us a lot. A big reason I am not wagering on the game.

ReNew-Your team just keeps winning. Nobody outside of the fan base is rooting harder. Love how this team plays and hope we do see a LA-NO WCF's matchup. I think it would be a classic.

Train-well said

Btw, for you line analysis people.

Game one was a 6.5 I believe and Game two opened about 5.5

Thats been the playoff trend pretty much so don't read too much into it.

Btw, the Hornets are on Blankets front page...RUHROE!

Interesting. Lemme get back to you in a minute..kinda rusdhing around hre last minute doing some stuff.

Last three playoff games at the Palace:

Orlando has totaled--72-90-92 points

In the regular season games last two years--103-93-99

So, I guess it depends how much precedent you put on Game One versus other meetings the past few seasons at this venue.

I think I will partake of some crow flavored popcorn.

This Chris Paul kid is just amazing. How often do you get to see a team make san antonio look that lost defensively ?

Alll i can say is .... wow.

looks like no one posted ur play tonight bar...nice hit on the stons over team total 95.5...had a helluva time bro!

give him a break frito, he's just stressed.

he saw the way chris paul has been tearing apart this immaculate spurs defense, and he knows his fakers are going to be in deep shit when they face them in the west finals.

:smiley_acbe:

give him a break frito, he's just stressed.

he saw the way chris paul has been tearing apart this immaculate spurs defense, and he knows his fakers are going to be in deep shit when they face them in the west finals.

:smiley_acbe:

I guess you didnt see the Lakers school both the Hornets and Spurs to win the west in the regular season now they get a chance at either one in a 7 game series if the lakers handle there own buisness and then even you will be chanting "Mvp" for Kobe :popcorn:

then even you will be chanting "Mvp" for Kobe :popcorn:

You smokin that OG kush again? You must be blazed man.

The fakers did not school the hornets, they barely squeezed out winning the west with nawwleans right at their heels, and the two split the season series at 2-2.

It's going to be a good one, but who's going to D up CP3.
derek fisher? not happenin.

Bowen cant do it.
Parker cant do it.
Jason kidd couldnt do it.

It's going to be a fun west finals. We can only hope hustle will make a guest appearance at CTG 'an_horse'

then even you will be chanting "Mvp" for Kobe :popcorn:

You smokin that OG kush again? You must be blazed man.

The fakers did not school the hornets, they barely squeezed out winning the west with nawwleans right at their heels, and the two split the season series at 2-2.

It's going to be a good one, but who's going to D up CP3.
derek fisher? not happenin.

Bowen cant do it.
Parker cant do it.
Jason kidd couldnt do it.

It's going to be a fun west finals. We can only hope hustle will make a guest appearance at CTG 'an_horse'

Well let's take a look and see how they matched up this year:

Meeting #1: 118-104 loss at Home

This was in the 4th game of the season, a Lakers team with a lot of turmoil and uncertainty surrounding it. It was also a Lakers team that was without both Lamar Odom and Kwame Brown. Chris Mihm started at center. That game was lost in the third quarter when we allowed Peja to get on fire. He scored 36 that night with 10/13 from beyond the arc. Chris Paul had 19 and 21, David West 22 and 8, Tyson Chandler 10 and 9.

Meeting #2: 109-80 win in New Orleans

The Lakers were at full strength for this game, and had been firing on all cylinders beforehand. They had won 9 of their last 11 going into this game and handled New Orleans easily on the road. We turned Paul into a scorer, he scored 32 points but only had 5 assists. David West had 19 and 9, but noone else really got involved. Peja only had 9 pionts on 1-4 from deep in this game. The strategy worked and it was a blowout win.

Meeting #3: 108-98 loss in New Orleans

Gasol went down 2 minutes into the game and we were unable to recover from it. We were already without Bynum and Ariza. We once again fell into the trap of getting sucked in by Paul who had 27 and 17, and when that hapepend Peja lit us up again with 5-9 from beyond the arc.

Meeting #4: 107-104 win at Home

This was a huge game, it opened the door to get the #1 seed. We blew them out in the first half and then in the second half, we once again fell prey to helping on Paul, who had 15 and 17 in this game, and the main guy who killed us once again as a result of that was Stoyakovic, who was 6-11. It's disappointing that we let them back in this game, but once the lead was gone we recovered to close it out.

If you look at the two losses, the first game we were in turmoil and without Odom/Kwame. The second game you lose Gasol two minutes into the game and are already without Bynum/Ariza. New Orleans could be a good series, but I certainly wouldn't be afraid of them.

I can tell ya this, I'd probably take Lakers 1Q in Game 1 if we faced off. We got punched in the mouth every time, atleast 2/4 I can remember distinctly getting destroyed in the 1st quarter.

Fisher is a pretty physical defender and thats something that the Mavs and Spurs don't have at the PG position. Bruce Bowen can by physical but thats been leaving Peja to hurt them. Peja, Pargo, Bonzi, and Juju are key here on out.

It's going to be a fun west finals. We can only hope hustle will make a guest appearance at CTG

He's too busy down at the YMCA playing pick up games as an AAU legend

Back