Monday MLB Plays

raems

Pretty much a regular
2-0, +2.17u ytd

Pirates +151, 1/1.51

Pirates should be a frisky team and Cole is an ace with a lot to prove this year. Porcello a little too pricey here imo.

Rockies -101, 1.01/1

Getting the better team and better pitcher here, thought there was some value in the # when I grabbed it at the open.

Mariners +123, 1/1.23

Read this one wrong, should've known with how much Astros love there appears to be this April. Felix put in a real offseason of prep for the first time in his career to combat his shittiness last year, think he fights back against age a little bit. Another situation where I see a coinflip and am taking the dog.

Twins -111, .55/.5
Twins -1.5 +175, .5/.88

I like this Twins team to be undervalued in the early going, no reason why they shouldn't be slightly favored in this one.

White Sox +112, 1/1.12

Very few matchups warrant dogging Quintana at home, this isn't one of them.

Also expecting steam to carry the Braves into value territory, will wait that out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My approach on betting baseball is different compared to other sports, simply due to the fact that these guys play almost every day. IMO this sport offers the most value on a daily basis. This is the US books' offseason - they'll make money on baseball because a large portion of the action they take on it is -EV parlays. They're not quite as worried about putting out razor sharp lines, and have a much more difficult time pricing in fatigue / bounce backs / inevitable regression because of the sheer volume of games.

I don't play anything above -120 on a total, preferably stay at even or +lines there 90% of the time.

If I like a favorite, I usually play the -1.5 for at least half the wager, and only if I can find +135 or better on the runline. If about 25% of your plays are favorites and more often than not you're laying RL, that's just an easy way to limit risk. The value proposition of laying +175 on the RL instead of laying -111 is too big to pass up. The odds of winning by 1 run are outweighed by the 86 cents of value, using the Twins today as an example. If you run that situation a thousand times the +EV is surprisingly high.

I bet dogs more often than not, fading pitchers on a high and backing pitchers off a low. Keep in mind that it's unlikely for an 88-94 win baseball team to be profitable over 162 games, and that's usually where the very best teams finish up.

Good luck guys!

Last edited:
Adding:

Marlins +183, 1/1.83

Volquez has some opening day starts under his belt which helps. Fish should be frisky, why not take a stab at this price against a pitcher who perennially underperforms relative to his advanced stats.

I appreciate the write-ups. With you on white sox, quintana as a non-public division home dog is good value

Back