Staff member
ML fav sides: 20-13 (+602)
ML dog sides: 9-8 (+250)
Totals: 5-3 (+340)
Overall: 34-24 (+1,192)

Sunday: 5-5 +20

Monday Leans

Astros +106

Adam Eaton carries the label of a “flyball” pitcher and will likely struggle whenever he pitches at home in Philly. I think it’s safe to say he’s in for a long season. Chris Sampson was originally drafted by Houston as a shortstop and retired after hitting .239 at the Class A level in 1999. He started coaching at a community college in Texas where he threw batting practice and began to wonder if he might have mound potential. He contacted the Astros and was resigned in January of 2003 and has shown amazing command and feel from the day he returned. In 2006, he led Triple-A Pacific Coast League starters in fewest unintentional walks (1.1) and baserunners (9.4) per nine. He threw 67 percent strikes in the majors last season. Sampson throws a variety of pitches, his best an 87-92 mph sinker, followed by a slider, an 11-5 curve, and a changeup- he’s even come up with a promising splitter. He has plus command on both sides of the plate and is known to be unflappable. Given his background, he obviously hits better than most pitchers as he batted .391 (18-46) in Triple-A last season, including 5 for 15 (.333) as a pinch hitter. Given his numbers thus far in 2007 by way of the big show, he’s hasn’t slowed down a bit.

NYY/TB Over 10.5 -115

Igawa has received plenty of run support early on (8.82/9). He’s been able to cut down on his walks and he’s shown a fearlessness and willingness to challenge hitters. I haven’t been too impressed with the life on his fastball and his changeup looks below average, but he’s shown a pretty hard breaking ball that has proven to be his strikeout pitch. The Rays haven’t been as productive this season against lefties as compared to last season, but that could change. Rays manager Joe Maddon said Friday Jonny Gomes may start getting more at-bats against left-handers, the Tampa Tribune reported. Gomes has had a productive career against lefties and he started at DH against C.C. and the Tribe. I’m looking at a 10-5 type ballgame favoring the Yankees. Fossum improved significantly his last two outings after getting pissed on by the Jays in his season debut. The Rays are a scrappy bunch at home and possess some scary hitters in that lineup. The Yankess pen has been somewhat depleted/overworked, as Pettitte even saw some time again last night in Boston off a days rest. I look for the Yanks to come out looking for blood after being swept by their rival.

Oak/Bal Under 8.5 -115

Dan Haren has been outstanding this year and gets absolutely no run support as the A's have scored only 9 runs in his four starts. He's only allowed 4 ER in 25 IP. On the other side, Bedard goes for his fourth straight victory and is backed by a much improved bullpen. Several Oakland hitters have struggled against Bedard, including Nick Swisher (1-8) and Shannon Stewart (0-7). Since Tejada signed after 2003, Baltimore has lost 11 of it's last 13 meetings versus Oakland and he's batted only .234 (11-47) in those games. A's centerfielder Milton Bradley is expected to miss Monday's game after leaving Sunday's game with a hamstring strain. Orioles 2B Brian Roberts is hopeful to return to the lineup after missing the past couple games with the flu. I expect a 4-3, 4-2, 5-3, 5-2 type ballgame.

Last edited:
Indians +114

I think this game has bounce-back written all over it for Jeremy Sowers. Not too often this guy goes and and throws back-to-back non-quality starts. I’m basically sweeping last week’s game in New York under the rug and looking for Sowers use to his intelligence and savvy to keep the Tribe at striking distance in the Metrodome, where the Twinkies are a tough out. Yes, Silva sports an ERA of 2.00 through 18 IP, but opponents are still hitting a respectable .282. Both these guys will be around the plate tomorrow night. Sowers only has one walk in his last 9.2 IP and Silva has only allowed four passes through 18 IP.
<O:p
Angels –138
<O:p</O:p
The Angels are damn near unbeatable at home. They sit at 9-9 right now and 8 of their wins have come in Anaheim. Jered Weaver is my personal favorite young arm in the game. Weaver has great load- that little hesitation in his windup in which he stays back before he starts his full delivery, and it helps him keep his mechanics and release point consistent every time he takes the hill. He stays back really long over the rubber instead of rushing. I will bet on him as often as I can at the right price because of this consistency. Weaver said he felt great out there in Oakland - his first start of the year coming off the disabled list because of biceps tendonitis. His downfall was that one bad inning, in which he allowed all four of his runs. Weaver went 5-1 with a 2.06 ERA in eight home starts in 2006, but has never faced the Tigers. LA is looking to win their fourth straight after completing a sweep of Seattle and moving into a tie of first with the Athletics. Vlad is 5-13 with three homers and 5 RBIs against Maroth. The Angels scored 21 runs and produced 37 hits this past series after dropping six in a row. I like the momentum they have coming into this one with the sticks.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I like them all Grind! Haven't decided which ones to go with yet! Good luck bro!
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Grind, I am pretty much sold ont he TB ov and the LAA. Was looking at the Astros, and I like that info you provided. Might have to dig deeper into that one.

No opinion on the Cle game. Basically after the last start Sowers had I want to stay away from this one. I didn't even look at it at all for this sole reason.

GL tomorrow, I will probably end up being on those 3, and a couple more.

Grind,
Those were my same thoughts on the Stros, seems like we are getting a good price on a good pitcher, just because he lacks name recognition...Im am on this on too.

GL Grind, liked the NY over, but for some reason Fossums #'s vs the Yanks have me stayign away (for now, lol)

GL man, great stuff

Grind, first GL..

Any concerns about Sampson's pitch count? He is good for 5 innings but after that its all bullpen for Houston

Terp, Slim, Yanks, Ray, Fondy, Satyr, Trout, Santa, ETG, ATP & Renew -- Thanks and gl to you guys

ETG -- I understand your concerns about his pitch count, as they pulled him early in Chicago with over 60 pitches under his belt and a 4-0 cushion. I watched the entire game he threw in Cincy and was expecting the same thing, but they took off the leash and allowed him to work well into his pitch count, almost reaching 90. Sampson is capable of throwing a good 7 and staying under 100 with ease with his tendency of staying around the zone. He really puts his fielders to work as he recorded 8 groundball outs and 11 flyball outs on 4/18 in Cincy. I'm not worried too much about the pen as long as they keep the ball out of Lidge's hand and let Qualls work 8 and Wheeler close it out, or they could do what they did in Cincy and allow Wheeler to work 8 and 9.

I'm not worried too much about the pen as long as they keep the ball out of Lidge's hand and let Qualls work 8 and Wheeler close it out, or they could do what they did in Cincy and allow Wheeler to work 8 and 9.

I hear that buddy, GL today

Monday Card

Astros +110 200->220
Indians +105 200->210
Angels -140 420->300
A's/O's Under 8.5 -130 130->100
Yanks/Rays Over 10.5 -120 120->100
Yankees -160 160->100

(my local has started making me round up or down to the nearest five or tenth if it's not already there)

Back