Mock draft ideas

Gandolf

Leader of the Van Buren Boys
Been kicking around an outside the box idea for an upcoming league I'm in, 12 team PPR, drafting 11th, 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 K, 1 D/ST.

My idea is going TE-TE the first two rounds, taking Kelce with #11 and Ertz #14. This way I lock down the #1 TE and my flex and also clear 2 of the unanimous top 3 off the board at one position. Granted, taking Ertz at #14 is high, but he's not coming back around to my 3rd round spot so by my thinking I'm getting the player I want in the only spot I can take him.

Rounds 3-8 would be heavy on RB-WR selections, but I think I can get solid options during those rounds.

This was a mock draft result for rounds 1-10

QB - Big Ben (rd 10)
RB - A Jones, Ingram, Drake, L Murray
WR - Amari, Boyd, G Allison
TE - Kelce
Flex - Ertz

By comparison here what #12 picked up
QB - Wentz (rd 7)
RB - Conner, Mixon, Coleman, Ballage
WR - Edleman, Golladay, M Williams, MVS
TE - OJ Howard (Rd 6)
Flex is probably M. Williams or Coleman

#10 pick
QB - Mayfield (rd 6)
RB - Gurley, Mack, Cohen, Ito
WR - OBJ, Green, Robinson, Tate, Coutee, A Miller
TE - none yet
Flex is probably Cohen or Robinson, with Tate in the mix later

I think it's a viable option at the bottom of the draft order, where you're not getting one of the super stud backs or Nuk or Adams, what say you?

Why do you want ertz at flex over the other guys? If you really think he's better, then go ahead I guess.

My problem with it is that say one of these guys isnt what you think and is a middling player. You then have preferred options at RB and WR to play flex instead of one of your TE. There's only 1 TE spot, so you've kind of hamstrung yourself. When that happens at RB or WR, he's still probably going to be one of your top 2 or flex options so he still plays.

Maybe that wont happen with these two guys, so you dont have to worry about it. If you feel they're always going to be so strong that they both always play, then go ahead.

I tried doing something similar once with Gates and Gonzalez I believe. Not sure what picks I spent but high enough to affect my team and it didn’t go well. You are obligated to hold onto both through injuries (Gates was injured some of the year I did this) and you basically are eliminating your FLEX spot. Granted different era of football but still you need to avoid injuries and lose flexibility

Thanks for the feedback. My thought with Ertz as the flex is he would be superior to a normal RB-WR flex who will be my 6th round pick at best. Another advantage is I only have to deal with two flex substitutions when Kelce and Ertz go on byes rather than three for sure and potentially more. Now the disadvantage is my #1 WR and RB are both at least a round lower than others, which considering I had great success with Mel Gordon at #10 last year is definitely a risk. But my options other than TE around the horn for rounds 1-2 figure to be:

RB - Conner, Cook, Mixon (maybe Gurley)
WR - M. Thomas, Julio, AB, OBJ

I feel most of these guys except for Thomas, Julio and maybe Conner come with risk. Naturally injuries can always be a season killer for me too.

Another drawback is I'll also really need to wait on a QB so I can load up mid-rounds on RB-WR slots. I don't see that as a big issue though.

Small chance I also could force a mini panic in the TE position and cause the other players to pick up their TE a round or two earlier than expected, leaving more WR-RB options to fall a little later and improve my potential mid-round value.

I read that Goedert has impressed at camp. Probably won't hurt Ertz much but I just don't see him at the same level as Kelce to go #14 overall.

i've been wondering if the TE position is so great at the top and so bad elsewhere that it may be worth reaching for one earlier than you should to try and play defense from the rest of the league, but i think having two of them will put you in a very weak position elsewhere while also yanking your FLEX as said above

OK I've crunched the numbers and run some more mocks.....I'm off the 2 TE idea. Still love Kelce around the snake turn but I can't trust Ertz or Kittle enough to move them up so far.

Next topic - Kyler Murray. Seeing him as high as QB #12 in a lot of rankings. WTF? He looked like a hot mess last night against a Raider D that no one is predicting big things about. The argument I see for him is a) he'll run a lot and b) Kingsbury wants to run fast tempo so there will be more volume. But I don't see the team as a whole equipped to get 70 plays in per game on a regular basis. Yesterday was a good example. The Raiders got up big early and end up running it 40 times. The result being that TOP ended up 36-24 and Arizona only managed 62 plays.

And did I mention he's a rookie NFL QB? #12 QB seems a major, #20-25 seems much more likely.

Back