MLB Wednesday 11/2

Wiretowire

Pretty much a regular
YTD +2004
1-1 last

Thanks Mike. We hit that NCAAF over despite the high total. GL

I will be the first to admit I completely missed that game last night. It had nothing to do with how Philly scored. I actually expected them to contribute. I completely missed the performance Suarez turned in. He was really outstanding, and I expected Houston to maul him. The fact that Harper picked up on a tell from Mccullers obviously helped their bats but I can't believe how the Astros didn't hit shit. Three things to mention there is that Suarez got a lead and he just started dealing strikes so that helped but he did just go after them. And as for the Harper tell, don't be thinking they will get to Mccullers again if he pitches in this series because Houston will pour over every pitch he threw and will correct whatever he was doing. Could be as simple as setting his glove lower for a breaking ball and higher for a fastball. Which pitchers are never supposed to vary their set before the pitch. And, I can't believe I am defending him, don't be blaming Dusty for keeping him in so long. Baker had no idea Harper had picked up on a tell. It was Fox pure shit house luck they were focused on Harper after he hit the HR and they saw him call Bohm over and tell him what he saw. That stuff happens all the time in every game, but Fox was lucky enough to catch it this time. To TV viewers it's easy to see but Baker is in the other dugout and he and none of his coaches would have caught Harper talking to Bohn (and the rest of the team). Dusty still should have pulled his starter when the score went to 4-0 but it didn't matter because Houston didn't score so why bother to speculate. And Dusty has always left his pitchers in too long, so he won't change now.

Houston/Philly over 6 -240 - 120/+50 -Philly fans were excited because Nola would pitch 3 times in this series. With the exception of that miracle come back in the first game I expected Nola to lose all 3 he pitched. I don't like him, and I don't trust him. He allows too much. Javier on the other hand has not allowed a run in his last 28 innings of starting. This game screams Houston ML at -110 with this pitching matchup but Philly does seem to hit at home, so I am going to just bet the over here. If Houston can't hit Nola tonight, they are done. Even I can hit Nola today and I'm over 70 years old. Another good bet would be the Houston over team total of 3 1/2. GL

Sorry if I talked you into that loser last night Wire. Thought for sure the 'Stros would plate a few runs.

Good luck today!

:cheers3:

My thoughts are opposite regarding Baker, also his coaches, his players and front office in the suite who are watching everything taking place on the field. The Astros are best known for cheating or picking up tendencies. Its 1 of the reasons for their success the last several years. When a player sits on a 1st pitch breaking ball and puts it into the seats, and then calls for the on deck hitter to whisper to him, it wouldn’t take much more than Bohm, let alone 4 more HR’s off McCullers to know he’s tipping pitches. Its either a terrible miss or incredible ignorance on the Astros part not to pick up on it. Im going to say it’s ignorance because the Astros staff should have seen for themselves how McCullers was tipping pitches.
I recently had a friend in the big leagues Steven Wright who played for Boston. He was the last knuckleballer in the Bigs. We talked about how his catcher was tipping pitches based on whether Steven was throwing his knuckle ball or his 80 mph fastball. The 1 thing Steven said was the staff covers everything all day every day so they’re not tipping pitches. Personally I think the decision Dusty made was that he wasn’t going to empty the pen in the 1st of 3 consecutive days. If this was an elimination game McCullers is out much earlier.
Another case where Dusty has shown to be shaky in decision making and had a lack of awareness when it means the most.
Let’s remember the 2002 World Series where Dusty came out to change pitchers with a 5-0 lead in the 7th and told his starter to keep the game ball as he left the mound. Angels players stated they saw it and said it ramped them up as if Dusty was gesturing the game and series was wrapped up. As subtle as that was, it was not only picked up but utilized as motivation by the Angels.
Poor Dusty seems to be over his ski’s in the bright lights.

Last edited:
I think this is ripe for Philly to go up 3-1, I actually make them -130 tonight considering the oddball circumstances dusty has Javier pitching. I just don’t understand it, Javier might not be as polished as JV or Valdez but for my money his stuff is every bit as good as anyone in the rotation yet dusty has pitched him 3x total the last month! Having him sit 9–10 days between outings which something he hadn’t done all year. I get Stros ran thru the sorry AL but still think he shoulda found a way to keep this kid more involved, and starting McCullers ahead of him flat out retarded if ya ask me. Unless he been showing signs of arm fatigue im not aware of imo dusty really screwed the pooch with how he using him, kid had a 1.87 era in second half, been even better at hand and he strikes out damn near 12 per 9!! He woulda made one the 1st 2 starts in Houston if I was managing this team cause I woulda wanted the chance to pitch him twice and on more normal rest!! The oddsmakers telling us they have noI clue how sharp he will be cause his o prop bring only -105 to over 5.5 is nuts! His last month or 2 of starts they were lining him at heavy juice to over 6.5 k’s or even 7.5 k’sr! There just no way to know how sharp he will be. My best guess he will be solid but not the Dominating guy he could be, his last time out on similar rest vs a pathetic yanks lineup he only allows 1 run over 5.1 but he walked 3, if his command not sharp like that Phillies will make him pay, not saying they crush him but he looks like he that game he only going 5 innings and allowing a few runs, hate trying to cap him since I think he would dominate had dusty been using him right but he blowing it,

I know nobody likes Nola around here but me but outshde the Tucker bombs he was perfectly fine and I think he brings his A game tonight, 6+ innings 6 k’s maybe 2 runs tops, the biggest thing bout last night was those 3 runs Philly tacked on in 5th and allowed Phil’s to save the stud pen guys. I think houston only sees Nola, Alvarado, Dominguez tonight and they don’t score more than 3 off that. Price just doesn’t seem correct to me when I’m way more confident housing getting held to a fairly low number, I think Javier gonna have to be dominant Javier to win, he could do it, I love that kid, I just don’t like way dusty using him do sporadically. Just my 2 cents,

Last edited:
Bank I have probably the least amount of confidence in JV of all the pitchers. Valdez is an Ace on most staffs. I’m hoping for a Houston W to assure us a game 6 Saturday. I’m a little concerned about the Astros vibe but if they’re champions, they’ll respond big and I think tonight has to he the night

Bank I have probably the least amount of confidence in JV of all the pitchers. Valdez is an Ace on most staffs. I’m hoping for a Houston W to assure us a game 6 Saturday. I’m a little concerned about the Astros vibe but if they’re champions, they’ll respond big and I think tonight has to he the night

Na, I don’t think they have much trouble beating thor in gm5, if dusty been using Javier on normal rest the last month I think tonight be a heck of a pitchers duel. I just think it asking a lot for him to come into this park against this lineup having not pitched in 10 days and only 3x all month.

Not a problem Inzane. You didn't talk me into anything. My thoughts on the game said Houston would tear up Suarez. Just didn't happen. GL

I would have to agree with your analysis of Dusty Wise and not wanting to empty the pen. But it was 4-0 in only the end of the second inning. The game was far from over so he should have put someone in there in long relief and if that guy got hammered then Dusty leaves him in forever to eat innings. As you know I think Baker is a joke of a manager but even he surprised me to give the game away after just the 2nd inning. I also agree it is possible Houston saw that Mccullers was tipping pitches, but they left him in? That tells me they were clueless because the staff made no correction to his tipping, and he allowed 3 more HR's. GL

Good points Bank. I agree with all you are saying but I do agree with Wise that Verlander right now is least effective pitcher Houston has. Obvious fatigue. But then I think Nola is the least effective Philly has so there you go. The man just doesn't pitch well with a runner on. Just saying. GL

Like Atlanta last year the Phillies are playing their best ball at the right time. They believe in themselves & aren’t scared of the Astros

Very true Cash. There is no other explanation for Suarez stepping up and the Philly bats to do what they are. GL

The funny thing is I think one of Philly's most dangerous hitters (Segura) is sitting quietly at the bottom of the lineup. Waiting. GL

I think the most mind blowing thing for us last night was that we look at McCullers as an $85 million race car. That large of an investment and basically no pit crew to pick up on anything. We should be watching that investment like a hawk since it's already had a full engine rebuild with Tommy John.

When you're in the box it's surprising what you can pick up on. Seeing a pitcher with a higher kick would instinctively have you feeling he's either about to unleash a crazy heat or he's overcompensating for trying to hide the curve.

I don't blame Dusty for not picking up on it but I blame him for leaving him out to dry. Our (now) worthless pitching coach should have seen it. We lost Brent Strom this year and he was the best non-manager coach any Houston sports team has had.

Just my 2 cents. I always check in on this forum for your thread Wire. GL tonight.

Back