MLB Tuesday

Satyr

Paster of Muppets
MLB 2007: 84 W-6V-69 L +90.75 units

Looking at my record I went 2-2, +3.75 units last night, but it was actually a lot better than that as I hit a double (LAD+OAK) and White Sox RL which I didn't post due to lack of time.So it was more like +12 unit kind of day. Let's use that momentum to nail some winners tonight.

Padres (Young) (-1) (2.01 @ Pinnacle) 6 units
OVER 7 (1.97 @ Pinnacle) 10 units

I have to go in with more than 10 units on a game here, and I'll explain why.
The Men in Blue are winning but they are impressing no one in their last couple of games. They struggled mightily against Pittsburgh whether going behind 4-0 with their ace on the mound then rallying back to pull a win, or nearly squandering a 5-0 lead last night, take your pick. And we're talking Bucs' offense here, these guys have 2 dangerous hitters. Try surging Padres at PETCO, who give the ball to one of their most dominant pitchers.
Chris Young (6-3, 2.42) is 4-1 with a 1.13 ERA in his last six starts.
The Padres had a day off and will try to keep their streak going (15-6 since May 11).
However, Young has had his share of struggles against the Dodger blue bats:
On April 15 he allowed five runs -- four earned -- seven hits and five walks in a season-low two innings as the Padres lost 9-3.
He is 0-2 with a 3.62 ERA in six career starts versus the Dodgers. Definitely not a bad number, but has been lacking run support.
Have no fear that will happen tonight, as Padres' bats put 18 runs on the board in the last 2 games. The Dodgers have a 4-2 series lead so Padres will want to step up here not to fall behind too much (have in mind the over (at tonight's projected total) is 5-1 in those 6 games)

The Dodgers are missing their number one closer Takashi Saito (16-for-16 in save conversions this season) and they already almost blew the lead going into the 9th last night with Broxton hanging on with his arms and legs to the win. They're already missing Brazoban since the season started, Saito's miss will be felt once 9th inning comes knocking.

Now I don't see anything wrong with this line sans the fact Jason Schmidt (1-2, 7.36 ERA) is coming from the DL and has been roughed up properly in his last few starts, including the one against SD earlier this year, giving up six runs -- five earned -- and seven hits in just two innings of work.
This guy is coming off the DL to face a team that has put 18 runs on the board in their last 2 games.
I'm aware PETCO is a wide pitchers' friendly park but there is NO WAY anything can warrant a line THIS LOW. The Padres could exceed this total by themselves the way I see this one.

What's next, if the line gets pounded or something, 6.5? Now I would buy 7.5 if Penny was pitching for the Dodgers, and even then I would've expected AT LEAST 7.5, due to Padres' recent resurgence. But with Dodgers' pitching completely depleted (missing Saito, Schmidt in a slump, off the DL), and the fact Young was already tagged by some of the Dodger bats, I'm thinking this line is insanely low, despite a rather solid Padres' pen.
Expected score 8-4 Padres.

Indians (Sabathia) (RL) (1.82 @ Pinnacle) 9 units

The Injuns have slowed down a bit following an impressive winning streak, and are now ready to start another one. Their ace will get the ball tonight, CC Sabathia (8-1, 3.78 ERA). The Indians are only 1-2 against KC this year and they know divisional matchups are of huge importance, no matter the opponent.
Sabathia is all about run support. Even when he's in a hole, he can expect Tribe bats to bail him out. And this year he hasn't even had many of that blackout moments:
The veteran is 5-0 with a 3.23 ERA in seven home starts for the Indians, who are 19-6 at Jacobs Field. They'll host a Kansas City squad that has dropped nine of its last 11 contests, including the final two of a four-game series with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays to split the set.
Kansas City, also losers of 2 straight games, will send out Jorge De La Rosa, up until recently considered, together with Meche, the strongest link in Royals' rotation.

De La Rosa (4-5, 4.97 ERA) has given up 14 runs through 9 1-3 innings in back-to-back defeats, the first of which was a 10-3 loss to the Indians on May 24, when he allowed a season-high nine runs over 4 1-3 innings.
De La Rosa is 1-1 with a 10.13 ERA in four career starts versus Cleveland.

Athletics (Di Nardo) (2.49 @ Pinnacle) 3 units

The A's nailed the W last night after a 4 hour thriller thanks to a walk off homer by Eric Chavez. There is a well known rule, and anyone out there who flew across country should know: jetlag usually starts taking its toll the SECOND day following the trip.
Daisuke Matsuzaka is getting too much respect by the books over and over again. This guy has been great at times, but his record (7-3, 4.83 ERA) tells the story. 7 wins but 4.83 ERA to go with it. He's been prone to collapses and letdowns but had some fantastic run support to go with it.
However, his team might be feeling a bit weary following a tiring series with the Yanks, then traveling across country, and playing a 4 hour thriller, which they lost.
The Red Sox will have a lot of backers here I'm sure, as the good ol' "they can't lose 3 in a row" kind of reasoning jumps in.
Di Nardo is a reliever promoted to SP, and he's definitely not the best man to hold the Red Sox offense. However, I'm counting on these guys to have a sub par game, they basically didn't have a real losing streak since the season started and no team can keep winning in such rhythm, so it's more than understandable that they need some rest and time to regroup before starting another winning streak.
I can't miss out on this game because the price will probably be adjusted if my theory proves to be right. Even though it's hard to say since Schilling will be on the mound so there has to be value in Oaktown as well.
I wrote a lot about the A's and their June resurrection in my last night's writeup, so I won't repeat it here. These guys step up in June. End of story. They had more than enough chances to seal the deal way before the 9th inning (when Embree let in 2 runs for the Sox to tie the game), I expect them to capitalize on their chances tonight and convert runners on base into runs.
3 units mostly due to the fact Di Nardo isn't a pitcher to trust and Boston bats are Boston bats. I think home park advantage and this small momentum A's are building up will make the difference over the weary Red Sox.

Leans (that probably won't be promoted to plays, as I already have more than enough in action, just for the information who I like):

SF (Cain)
Angels (RL) (Escobar) (strong lean)
Angels over 8.5
Game 2 ATL (Smoltz) - Florida (Van Den Hurk) Florida +1 (2.60)

Good luck tonight guys. :cheers: :shake:

Last edited:
HMMMMM...Very convincing on the Padres play its one I have written down for later but I have to get past the early game first. I have watched the Dodgers last 3 games mainly because I had money either way. Lowe goes from a nohitter through 6 to 3 runs in the 7th? Then they come very close to blowing a 5-0 lead. I actually went out because my thinking was "This guy has got a no hitter, they got a good bullpen, they got a 5run lead, most likely I am alright".. I was shocked when I found out later it was 6-5 in the 9th. I wasnt very happy to say the least, had Dodgers -1 and escaped with a push. Prior to that Gorzelanny dominated them until late in the game when the Pirates broke down as a team and the Dodgers come back from 4-0.

Tsaito is a huge loss for them, no doubt about it and bullpens in this game could factor 3 innings each so thats a big deal.

I havent read anything good about Schmidt either, its just a name to me right now, and you got a home team here, a day off, highly motivated and hot team (15-6 L21), a big series for both teams and enough ingredients imo for a home team win.

love your plays today Satyr, love them. GL today. hope the A's dont make it as hard as yesterday to win.

Green, that's what I'm thinking too. We should see a fired up Padres team, both teams are 7-3 in last 10 but I see San Diego prolonging their streak to at least a few more games, and the Dodgers should regroup first, get Saito back, and get their act straight as what they did against Pittsburgh definitely isn't something a big team does.
They did win, and it's all that matters but as I said, these are the Bucs. Padres are at least a class or two above Pittsburgh.
So I expect Padres to feast off Schmidt and LA pen, and Young to have a 7 IP, 5 H, 3 ER kind of game.

Which should result both in an over and Padres win, at least how I see it.

ReNew good luck buddy, great to see you on the same side. :cheers:

satyr, good shit as usual. The Pads were going to be my only play today, but took florida in game 1 also.

Anyway, I am in total agreement about the Padres. All things point to a probable SD win, (day off, no siato, schmidt off DL, league standings, etc...). The thing that still gets to me is Youngs lack of success vs the dodgers. Maybe I am reading too much into it, and the fact that Schmidt is coming off the DL and prone to getting hit by the Pads is not really doing anything for my confidence in the play.

However, I do like the info you provided for the total in that game. Not being a totals player, I tend to overlook good plays in that area. And this seems like a good one.

I am still deciding whether to buy out of my SD bet and guarantee profit, or let it ride. Decisions, decisions....

GL

slim, thanks. :shake:

Well I just hope they get to Schmidt early and start feasting off him as they're clearly in solid hitting form, and I think both bets should be fine. I'm not a classic totals player either, check guys like Hile for better insight in that department, but what I look for when the line is 7 is two VERY SOLID pitchers.

For example imagine Dan Haren v John Lackey. Vlad is missing from the lineup, Figgins is bruised. THAT would be a 7 in my book.

But Schmidt off the DL, Dodgers missing Saito, Dodgers already pounded Young as well as the Padres when Schmidt is concerned.

SEVEN?

I just had to pound it. :D. I won't be disappointed if it doesn't hit. I liked it, took it, no regrets.

Let's hope SD will do most of the scoring ;).

Good luck tonight Slim. :cheers:

btw not that Figgins is a hitting force or anything, just an example :D, their number 1 hitter and baserunner injured, which would limit the offense. :D Now I'm babbling but that's what I would look for when seeing a 7 line, especially at nearly plus money what I got here.

The total in San Diego, "brilliantly" marked by me as a "total of the month" or even year, as I really thought it was appallingly low, ended up 1-0 for SD.

So much for a high scoring game, the oddsmakers were spot on that both Schmidt and Young would have a great game.

Sorry about that one guys, mea culpa. :(

At the same time, I had a feeling both ATL/FLA games would end different to what everyone had thought, but just didn't have the guts to back ATL in G1 and FLA in G2, which was my initial idea.

Would've made a ton of profit there, same as the Angels which I layed off, still have no CLUE why I didn't play them in the end, but only put "strong lean" label next to them.

Cleveland ended up winning 1-0, the most frustrating thing that can happen when you have the runline.

Oh well, not the best day ever (understatement). We'll bounce back eventually.

Back