MLB Tuesday 5/18

Wiretowire

Pretty much a regular
YTD +1175
1-1 last

An observation. You can skip it if you like.......

I taped that Pitt game last night so I wouldn't miss any of Skenes pitching. I jump around a lot between games, but I went back and watched the tape to get a good feel for this kid. He pitched a good game and the Pirates won. He is already a very good pitcher, and he could be great in a year or two. My bet was that he would record 9 strikeouts or more and it was a good bet based on his stats and the Cinn strikeout rate per game. I would bet this kid to win a game again in a microsecond, but I wouldn't bet him to strikeout more than 7 batters in a game. In other words, don't go over his strikeouts of more than 6 1/2 and here's why I say that.

To his credit, he never shook off a sign from the catcher. Never. And that's rare even for a young pitcher. But the catcher called for a ton of fastballs. Almost all fastballs in fact. They did change location (in out up and down), but it was almost all fastballs. This is obviously the game plan between the pitcher, catcher and the coach, probably the pitching coach, as he does have a 100 mph fastball sometimes going to 101. It's a good plan and it will result in many wins for the young man, but most fans hear the announcers breathlessly talking about 100 mph pitches. The truth is that major leaguers and even minor leaguers can hit 100 mph pitches and usually do.

But the one thing that stood out to me was contrary to what happens in every game. No hitter was swinging wildly at pitches out of the strike zone. Hitters guess and they swing at shit the catcher has to dive for to catch but not last night. Not even once. Another thing to interject that fans may not be aware of is teams send out scouts to chart the upcoming opposing pitcher. They pretty much know who they will face because of the rotation, and they do this in advance of facing this or that pitcher and this is especially true if the pitcher is young and new to the majors. Cinn, as well as every other club scouted Skenes and knew their game plan was to keep pounding the strike zone with fastballs. Not one batter swung wildly last night guessing because they didn't have to guess. They all sat on his fastball because that was what they were going to see, and they were right. Despite that and to the young man's credit he still pitched very well, and the Pirates still won. Granted he did get a lot of borderline strike calls from that particular ump, but he did pitch well despite them sitting on his heater.

Now as he develops in the next few years, he will be able to incorporate more off speed and he could well become unhittable but that won't be this year because they are calling for 90% fastballs and whether he has the off speed or not right now the coaches don't think so yet and more importantly to them why call for those pitches when his fastball is winning games. But the fact they aren't calling for anything but fastballs means although he will have a great season and win lots of games the hitters are going to put the ball in play and not strikeout enough to win that prop bet over 7 strikeouts except occasionally. But as I have said previously, I would back this kid to win the game for the Pirates every time he takes the mound.

Sorry about the long-winded observation but that is what goes through the mind of old retired catchers when they watch a game.

Just one today but Balt ML +120 is a good bet.

LA ML -90/+50

GL

Thanks for the info and insight as only you could see it.

Best of luck today Sir!

1718720952403.png

A catcher, huh? How's the knees these days?

Thanks Inzane. Knees are great actually. The funny thing is every man in my family has had back surgery except me. We all figure catching helped my back and somehow didn't hurt my knees. But I only spent 18 years behind the plate starting at age 8. Those that make the majors spend an additional 10 years or more. GL

great post and I agree wholeheartedly with you. I come from a family of catchers (my great uncle was Mickey Cochrane), and another Cousin who was signed as a catcher by the Senators before being called to WWII. As such I caught growing up into college when I eventually tore my shoulder and hung it up. As a kid I always gravitated towards catchers and became close with Grady Little (former red sox and dogers manager) who took me under his wing when he was manager of Single A Durham Bulls about 8 minutes from my house and i was a 10 yr old kid til i was 14 and he got called up. Learned the game in and out from other catchers and it really gives you a perspective of the the whole game that's why our position makes the best managers. If you follow the dodgers, Clayton McCullough 1st base coach is also a former teammate and catcher. I beat him out in LL thru Babe ruth for catcher until he moved, then he beat me out at ECU along with everyone else in NC. He was a great college catcher and advanced up to Double A before hanging it up and now coaching. He was real close to landing the Clev job this offseason. Watch for him, players love him esp Mookie and Ohtani.

Another funny thing about Catchers--my former VP of sales and boss was a minor league catcher for 10 years, played with Bo Jackson and Frank Thomas at Auburn, later briefly with Barry Bonds in Pittsburgh. He wasn't the best salesman but he was prob the best boss our whole team has had before or since. Like a typical catcher, he used psychology mastery with the team, as every person responds or is motivated by something different. A guy would be in a sales slump, talk to Tim for 20 minutes and he was out of the funk and on the way. Being i was always the #1 salesman on the team,he always rode me hero to zero and it ticked me off but now i think about it, it motivated me to keep being the best. He also was a master of dealing with tough clients and turning them around. He used to say being a catcher in the minors was better than any MBA for business. HA HA!

Anyway, just saw your snippet about Catching and watching Skenes and couldn't agree more. Looks like we have very similar perspectives and it certainly helps with our capping in this sport.

As you spent 18 years catching until retirement, a good many more years past college, did you make it to the big leagues and out of curiousity, what farm system were you in? Sounds like you had an interesting career, i wish i could have kept playing 18 years. I wonder if my weak knees from catching helped contribute to me tearing an ACL this spring playing bball.

Good luck today!

Thanks Tim. Always appreciated. GL

Good stuff Pirate. Love to hear the respect for the old catchers. I played a total of 18 years at that position total. Started as an 8 year old and played little league for 8 years. Then high school for 3 as freshmen couldn't play back in ancient times. Started at Akron U for 3 years then got signed by the White Sox out of college and played almost 4 years in minor league "A'' ball in Appleton Wisconsin. Back then (70's) it was very rare you moved up in the system at all and especially rare you broke into the majors unless you were signed and moved right into AA which didn't happen often. There wasn't any of this low A or middle AA. Just 4 levels. A, AA, AAA, majors. $1500 a season (plus room and board) and all the stale popcorn and cold hot dogs you could eat. To this day I hate riding on a fucking bus. One day you just know it isn't in the cards for you to break into the bigs and you get on with a regular life. Not what you would call a standout pro career, but I loved it. GL

Thanks Tim. Always appreciated. GL

Good stuff Pirate. Love to hear the respect for the old catchers. I played a total of 18 years at that position total. Started as an 8 year old and played little league for 8 years. Then high school for 3 as freshmen couldn't play back in ancient times. Started at Akron U for 3 years then got signed by the White Sox out of college and played almost 4 years in minor league "A'' ball in Appleton Wisconsin. Back then (70's) it was very rare you moved up in the system at all and especially rare you broke into the majors unless you were signed and moved right into AA which didn't happen often. There wasn't any of this low A or middle AA. Just 4 levels. A, AA, AAA, majors. $1500 a season (plus room and board) and all the stale popcorn and cold hot dogs you could eat. To this day I hate riding on a fucking bus. One day you just know it isn't in the cards for you to break into the bigs and you get on with a regular life. Not what you would call a standout pro career, but I loved it. GL

You share the sentiments of several of my friends who played in the minors, and my former boss Tim Edge who finally hung it up after 10 years but stayed at AA and AAA levels. He said he lost all his money on road trips playing cards with the guys on the bus, and for his off season job he sold exercise equipment. Quite a contrast to the guys he played with like Bonds who ended up making over 100M in MLB. Guys like you are the backbone of the game, the guys who play for the love of the game. As I said above, I grew up around Grady Little and the Durham Bulls so I have an appreciation of the minors, they were Single A for the Braves until 20 years ago they moved to AAA for the Rays and changed parks. Watched many of the great braves of late 80's/90's come through albeit briefly. Ryan Klesko hit a ball over the old Bull that still has yet to come down.
As a 7 year old kid, I got to be an extra in the move bull Durham in the old park, i hated it, it was february middle of winter and cold and we kids sitting in the stands had to take our coats off for the 100+ shoots and act warm. Years later and in the new park, I was sitting with my 2 sons watching the Bulls play and CBS news came to ask me about the 2012 election with Obama and Romney. He used my piece and what I said for the 6pm evening broadcast. Maybe I should go to more minor league games again up here in Richmond now. Oh and I re-connected with Grady Little around 2008 when he was finishing with the Dodgers. I hadn't seen him since I was 11 in 1991 his last year before Greenville call up. I was out in LA for biz, got to Chavez ravine early before the crowd and yelled at him from my seats behind the bench. He recognized me from NC and tried to get me on the field but the security guys said no, so he gave me his cell and we connected the next night for a drink. That's another reason I love minor league ball....the connections with guys like that. Most MLB guys could care less and wouldn't take the time to show interest in another kid.

Look forward to hearing more of your stories from the minors. I'm envious as I know all of us would love to be a pro in a sport. Bull Durham did a great job depicting life in the minors but your perspective is first-hand.

Back