MLB Tuesday 10/25

Wiretowire

Pretty much a regular
Going to write this series up then makes the picks on Tuesday.

First of all a reminder, if you are a fan of either of these teams then you will certainly get angry with at least one thing I have to say if not more. Although you are free to say I am full of shit remember that your opinion is biased because you are a fan. I may just say "ok" and laugh at you so be ready for that anger as well. Please also remember that I bet both these teams to win their pennants and the world series so although I would like Cleveland to win it all (because they were 12/1 as opposed to 4/1 for the Cubs) I will get paid either way.

Coaching:

Joe Madden is a very good coach. I do question some of his bullpen moves but I also question Francona on the same thing. Some will say Madden can't win the big one but he still is a very good coach. But Madden has only been to the World Series once and he lost 4 games to 1. Francona on the other hand has won the World series twice. Francona is willing to bunt runners over in an attempt to manufacture runs and Madden seems to just sip his coffee and let the game play itself out. I absolutely HATE the fact that Francona has designated Cody Allen as the closer and uses the better closer Miller for setup in the 7th and 8th innings. You would have thought he would learn when Miller was given the ALCS MVP award but Francona can be stubborn which is not a good trait in a manager. Allen will be beaten in the 9th in least one game and if you are Cleveland you really can't afford to blow a game against these Cubs. I think Francona is more active as a coach making more moves but I am going to call coaching even in this one.

Starting pitching:

This is really a no brainer but mostly because of injuries. Cubs will throw Lester, Arrieta, Lackey, and Hendricks. Lester is the best pitcher of all the starters for both teams. Arrieta puts too many base runners on. Lackey and Hendricks can be had. Cleveland will throw Kluber, Tomlin, and who the fuck knows. Kluber is the second best pitcher on both teams after Lester. Tomlin has pitched well of late but can be had. I would guess that they will throw Bauer who can also be had if he wasn't injured which he is. They might even throw that kid Merrick(?) who might give them innings in another bullpen game. Salazar is also a possibility to go in the pen to maybe help this kid or any starter that gets in trouble early. He is very good when he healthy but he is not healthy.

When you have 4 solid starters to throw out there and the other guy has a patchwork of decent but injured pitchers the advantage goes big to Cubs.

Closer:

Another no brainer. Allen not only can be had he will be at least once. Chapman on the other hand is probably the best closer in baseball. If there is a ***** in his armor it is because he throws almost all fastballs and although over 100 mph major leaguers can hit fastballs if they are sitting on them regardless of speed. It should also be mentioned that if Cleveland can get a 2 or 3 run lead into the 7th Miller will shut down the 7th and 8th for the Cubs. This is a big factor but if the lead is only 1 Allen can give up the game in the 9th. Decided advantage to the Cubs.

Defense:

I'm not going to go into this a great deal but although there are very good defensive players on the Cubs, Cleveland is better overall defensively. Cleveland.

Hitting:

There are no two players more dangerous in this series or better at the plate than Bryant and Rizzo of the Cubs. I would pitch around them regardless of the situation. And if Fowler does his job as leadoff to get on base the Cubs will score lots of runs. But if Fowler does what he has been doing in the playoffs which is trying to hit HR's then he will be a non factor. Overall though Zobrist, Hayward, and Baez will also contribute. Cleveland has a lineup of consistent hitters. I wouldn't call them great hitters but each can get on base, move runners, or even bunt when the situation calls for it. Pesky is a word that comes to mind for the Tribe. I also value the fact that Francona will bunt to move runners more. Santana, Kipnis, Lindor, Napoli, Ramirez, Chisenhall, and Davis may not present the danger of the Cubs big two but all are tough outs.

I would have called hitting an overall advantage for Cleveland but because the Cubs can use a DH instead of the pitcher and they have to face less dominant pitching from Cleveland because of injuries I can't give Cleveland the advantage in hitting. Even

Intangibles:

The Cubs get a DH in games played in Cleveland and that should help them. On the flip side the Tribe loses their DH in games played in Chicago. That will take a big bat out of their lineup. Last intangible is the home field for Cleveland. Last at bats are HUGE. The fans are inconsequential for both sides but batting last is enormous. I say that often but I never have explained it. I don't explain it because a lot of people get confused when I do but here goes.

Let's say it is the top of the 8th inning. You are the home team. You get your opponent out and that means you get the bottom of the 8th and the bottom of the 9th while your opponent only gets the top of the 9th to score. This now gives you a hitting advantage because you have 6 outs to his 3 to score. This continues even if the game goes into extra innings. Now you say but it's the same for the visitor as well. Not really. Every time you get the home team out, no matter what inning, they will always have the exact same number of at bats and outs that you do. The only problem with this home field advantage is the Cubs only have to win one of the first 2 games to turn the last at bats to their favor and I don't think Cleveland will win both of the first two games.

Overall advantage: Cubs

I will post the picks if any for Tuesday's game after the lines come out. Not sure why Madden is waiting to call Lester his game one starter but he is. GL

Last edited:
GL as always wire. Thanks for the write-up. You can't say ***** lol? Assume you were saying ***** in his armor.

Thanks SIGO. Exactly. I couldn't figure out why it deleted it and then I realized it could be construed as racial and I started laughing myself. I wonder if this will work. ch-ink. GL

Thanks Troy. GL

Odd that you say that Cubsker. At the end of the regular season, Cleveland was ranked 11th overall of the 30 teams in baseball and the Cubs were ranked 22nd out of 30 teams. That makes Cleveland the much better team defensively in this matchup and actually makes the Cubs not very good at all defensively in general. Maybe you are looking at it through your fan goggles? GL

YTD +85.6
NFL 0-1 yesterday

Cubs/Cleveland over 6 -140 (10 units)

Kluber can have bad days. I'm not saying he will tonight but he does tend to walk way too many and people on base can cause problems. Speaking of problems with runners on base, Lester, although a very good pitcher, has horrible trouble with runners on. The Indians led the AL in base stealing. Lester allowed the 3rd highest total of stolen bases in the majors this year. That is a recipe for disaster for the Cubs. Cleveland will run. If they get on base. And although Lester is good I don't see him throwing a perfect game. And god help him if the ump (who I don't know who it is yet) has a tight strike zone. Francona will have them running and if the lead off hitter gets on and steals second Francona will have him bunted to third. Then a fly ball scores him. Kind of tough to win games if almost every walk and hit turns into a double. Between these two I see a 3-3 game at least and that's an over total win for me.

A side? I lean Cleveland. No controlling them on the base paths and last at bats with a quality starter should spell win for the Tribe in the opener. I am not betting it because the Cubs are capable of taking this game. I can't blame you if you go with Lester at -110 as that is great odds on a pitcher of his ability but I am going to take Cleveland in this one.

Series: Take Cleveland +180 to win the series. But you better keep reading. You take Cleveland to win the series today and then you wait for the hedge. If Cleveland wins tonight they will become a favorite for the series and you can probably get +130 or +140 on the Cubs tomorrow. If that happens you take the Cubs to win the series tomorrow and then you can't lose. If the Cubs win tonight you have to wait it out for a hedge possibility later. Just a thought. GL

YTD +85.6
NFL 0-1 yesterday

Kluber can have bad days. I'm not saying he will tonight but he does tend to walk way too many and people on base can cause problems. Speaking of problems with runners on base, Lester, although a very good pitcher, has horrible trouble with runners on. The Indians led the AL in base stealing. Lester allowed the 3rd highest total of stolen bases in the majors this year. That is a recipe for disaster for the Cubs. Cleveland will run. If they get on base. And although Lester is good I don't see him throwing a perfect game. And god help him if the ump (who I don't know who it is yet) has a tight strike zone. Francona will have them running and if the lead off hitter gets on and steals second Francona will have him bunted to third. Then a fly ball scores him. Kind of tough to win games if almost every walk and hit turns into a double. Between these two I see a 3-3 game at least and that's an over total win for me.

A side? I lean Cleveland. No controlling them on the base paths and last at bats with a quality starter should spell win for the Tribe in the opener. I am not betting it because the Cubs are capable of taking this game. I can't blame you if you go with Lester at -110 as that is great odds on a pitcher of his ability but I am going to take Cleveland in this one.

Series: Take Cleveland +180 to win the series. But you better keep reading. You take Cleveland to win the series today and then you wait for the hedge. If Cleveland wins tonight they will become a favorite for the series and you can probably get +130 or +140 on the Cubs tomorrow. If that happens you take the Cubs to win the series tomorrow and then you can't lose. If the Cubs win tonight you have to wait it out for a hedge possibility later. Just a thought. GL

Very solid write ups as always! With regards to your hedging in the last paragraph, however, there is no way the Cubs become a dog in this Series simply by losing tonight. Obviously just my opinion, but I see that line going down to around -120 for the Cubs if they lose.

You could well be right EMG. I considered that and a drop from -200 to -120 is very possible. I just figured there is a book bias in favor of the Cubs and it could swing to -140 with a Cleveland win and home field still intact. But that is a huge swing as you point out. Maybe the series hedge idea was not so good. Thanks for your feedback. GL

Recent historical stats well with your play...

- Only 3 of the last 12 g1's have totaled less than 8 runs

- Only 3 of the last 16 g1's have totaled less than 7 runs.

- Since 1991 only 2 of 15 g1's played in an AL park have totaled less than 7 runs.

BOL:cheers3:

Odd that you say that Cubsker. At the end of the regular season, Cleveland was ranked 11th overall of the 30 teams in baseball and the Cubs were ranked 22nd out of 30 teams. That makes Cleveland the much better team defensively in this matchup and actually makes the Cubs not very good at all defensively in general. Maybe you are looking at it through your fan goggles? GL

This seems to be up to date:

[TABLE="class: base-table base-table-sortable, width: 620"]
<tbody>[TR="bgcolor: transparent"]
[TH="class: header"]Team[/TH]
[TH="class: header, align: center"]Score[/TH]
[TH="class: header headerSortDown, align: center"]Hits[/TH]
[TH="class: header, align: center"]Walks[/TH]
[TH="class: header, align: center"]Strikeouts[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR="class: odd, bgcolor: #555555"]
[TD]Chi Cubs[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]3.41[/TD]
[TD="class: highlight, align: center"]6.96[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]3.02[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]8.79[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: even, bgcolor: #646464"]
[TD]Washington[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]3.78[/TD]
[TD="class: highlight, align: center"]7.84[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2.91[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]9.10[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]LA Dodgers[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]4.01[/TD]
[TD="class: highlight, align: center"]7.84[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2.90[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]9.38[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]Toronto[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]4.04[/TD]
[TD="class: highlight, align: center"]8.12[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2.80[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]8.11[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]San Francisco[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]3.88[/TD]
[TD="class: highlight, align: center"]8.17[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2.69[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]8.10[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]Cleveland[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]4.08[/TD]
[TD="class: highlight, align: center"]8.17[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2.84[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]8.75[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Posting because while not having searched for the stats previously, I have heard commentary during games more than once prattle on about how good the Cubs D is.

Good stats on the total Betcrimes. Not sure I understand the relevance of the defense table you posted though as it includes hits, walks, and strikeouts. That seems to be related to pitching which I completely agree with. The Cubs are better than the Indians in pitching. But according to MLB.com stats for the season, Cleveland is ranked 11th and the Cubs 22nd in defensive fielding % for the season. In my write up, I separated starting and relief pitching from overall fielding defense. Based on that Cleveland is a significantly better defensive team than the Cubs. GL

Fielding percentage? DEAR GOD. Google Defensive Runs Saved and prepare for your mind to be blown.

Fielding percentage? DEAR GOD. Google Defensive Runs Saved and prepare for your mind to be blown.

Agreed. Fielding percentage is like wins for a starting pitcher...it's a pretty meaningless stat.

Using fielding percentage would have made some think that someone like Jeter was a great defensive SS, when we know that clearly wasn't the case.

Defense is a huge factor. Its just that fielding percentage isnt a good way to measure it.

This.

Who said defense wasn't a factor? If you're a guy who likes and relies on stats, wouldn't you want to be pointed in the direction of the ones that actually matter, the ones that actually tell the real story?

Back