MLB + Thursday 7/31

Wiretowire

Pretty much a regular
YTD -150

Yesterday = +.8

And no Cash, I don't trust my MLB capping as much as I do the other stuff right now. (But it's coming) GL

Winn/Ham under 50 1/2 -110 (15 units) (CFL)

Phoenix +1 -110 (15 units) (WNBA)

Phoenix/Minn over 166 -110 (15 units) (WNBA)

Indiana ML -130 (15 units) (WNBA)

Parlays:

Winn/Ham under 50 1/2 -110 (CFL)
Phoenix +1 -110 (WNBA)
Phoenix/Minn over 166 -110 (WNBA)
Indiana ML -130 (WNBA)

Round robin groups of 4 and 3 for 4 units each.

Phoenix +1 -110 (WNBA)
Indiana ML -130 (WNBA)

Round robin groups of 3 and 2 for 4 units each.

Indiana ML -130 (WNBA)

Round robin groups of 3 and 2 for 4 units each.

Phoenix +1 -110 (WNBA)

-5/+13

Detroit ML -190
Cubs ML -150
St L/SD over 6 -190
Minn/KC over 7 -180
Pitt/AZ over 7 1/2 -180
Atl/LA over 4 1/2 -190

Round robin groups of 6 and 5 for 1 unit each.

StL/SD over 6 -190
Minn/KC over 7 -180
Pitt/AZ over 7 1/2 -180
Atl/LA over 4 1/2 -190

Round robin groups of 4 and 3 for 3 units each.

Detroit ML -190
Cubs ML -150

-6/+9.3

Detroit +2 1/2 -550
Cubs +2 1/2 -510
Seattle +2 1/2 -240
Toronto +2 1/2 -480

-7/+10

Detroit ML -190
Cubs ML -150
Toronto ML -120

-3/+11

GL

A rant......................

One of the reasons I am not a fan of any sports team is that it skews your capping which I have said before in here. The other reason is that it's a damn shame when your home team just packs it up for the season by making an incredibly stupid trade. They break the hearts of the fans and still expect them to come out to the park and pay $20 for parking and $10 for each dog and beer. More importantly they are telling the fans we really don't give a shit about winning. But we still want you here.

The Cleveland Indians traded Masterson to the contending Cardinals for a bucket of balls. And don't start that "he's going to be a free agent next year" crap. Or "they dropped 3 million in salary" shit either. 3 million is chump change in MLB today. This is a quality pitcher that has proven himself year in and year out. He has been hurt this year but good teams and good organizations shut him down and pay him his money when he's healthy. All arguments to the contrary end with this statement... He's only 29 fucking years old!

The Tribe organization has told their fans what we are doing is bullshit. We don't really want to win. We just want you to keep believing this horseshit and spend your money. Masterson was so happy to be leaving Cleveland he was saying it's sad to be leaving Cleveland and their fans but the man couldn't stop grinning. He even burst out laughing at one point. Really broken up abiut this aren't you? And I don't blame him a bit. GL

gl wire...

noticed that Hamilton is a team that will be on more sides on the over than under since their defence is suspect but their team can score (lefavour runs a decent cfl offense, gables can be explosive and fantuz is "clutch") you leaning a side in that game?

I would have to take the points gsro. I don't trust Hamilton offensively because eveything they did last week was against a hapless Ottawa team. Ottawa makes everyone look good in my oponion. Will Lafavour and company has as much success this week? I'm hoping not. I'm not real sure why Hamilton is favored by 4 1/2 but it is obviously a home field advantage. Winn +4 1/2 to me is the way to go but I'm counting on defenses tonight. GL

I feel like I was the biggest Masterson fan in town, but he's not worth committing $70-million for four years. Did you bitch when the Indians traded big league players for unknowns or bit players like Choo, Chris Perez (who sucks now, but served us well as a closer before his dog's drug problem), Michael Brantley, Yan Gomes, Mike Aviles, a reliever named Justin Masterson, Carlos Santana … this is how you build a team in this market, especially if your draft prowess is as spotty as Cleveland's. It's why Tampa is mulling dealing David Price. Do it your way, you get the Phillies.

Never say never in sports, but Masterson's going to have to go like 8-0 down the stretch and sparkle in the playoffs to get anywhere near the contract the Indians were willing to give him in the spring. I'm confident he won't do quite that, so Tribe wins, Masterson loses. Would you sign on for Masterson today for four years at his asking price?

wire's is literally the first negative review of this trade in northeast Ohio. They're a game under .500 WITH the guy. And there's a good chance they'd be a few games over had they been WITHOUT the guy. He's been terrible this season.

And what fans are you talking about? They're 29th out of 30 in attendance. Before this trade.

GL on the action, I know the feeling.....my grip on mlb is very weak at this time!!! I hope you hit every play, get the $$$$

Thanks Elbutre. GL

Thanks Cash. GL

I hear you Tip but I am sick of the excuses for these crap trades. They aren't building anything and it has been what, almost 20 years since they did have a team? You can't count last years one game wild card. I know you are a true fan and you live and die with them and I respect that. I really do. But they aren't making any moves to improve and that's not how you get a team. Another sparkiling trade to dump Cabrera for another box of balls. I guess all I'm saying is people around here are constantly saying "We would have lost so and so to free agency at the end of the year anyway..." But I wonder why that is? I agree not Masterson but there has to be a player we have had that we dumped that was worth paying to keep but we never ever will do that because the purse strings are too tight. Bottom line, they are 3 games or so out of the wild card and this team made no trades to improve the team. They just sold a couple of starters (even if one is hurt) for very little return. They aren't out of it but the front office refuses to move to help so you are left with nothing but making excuses for these guys. Year in and year out and I'm tired of seeing it while the fans try to put on a brave front for their team while they rationalize these crap trades. GL

Bottom line, they are 3 games or so out of the wild card and this team made no trades to improve the team. They just sold a couple of starters (even if one is hurt) for very little return. They aren't out of it but the front office refuses to move to help so you are left with nothing but making excuses for these guys. Year in and year out and I'm tired of seeing it while the fans try to put on a brave front for their team while they rationalize these crap trades. GL

They are 5 games out of the WC right now, and have 3 teams between them and the 2nd spot. You can never say a team is 'out of it' at this point, but it seems even the Indians upper management doesn't like their chances to get that 2nd WC spot. Personally, I can't possibly see them passing by the Yankees, Mariners, and KC to even get into the 3rd spot in the WC race, and I most certainly can't see them getting past the Angels or Tor (or the As and Orioles if LA or Tor take over their respective division leads).

They weren't going to win with Masterson. They've attempted that, he's been their opening day starter for two years, he's been here for four, he's been awful for two of them. They got a decent prospect for a guy they couldn't sign. This is what good organizations do.

Haven't made up my mind on the Cabrera deal, that seemed more like a trade for the sake of a trade, guy they got doesn't seem to make a lot of contact.

Anyway, the guys they traded were in walk years, Indians no longer wanted them, neither guy was helping them, Masterson was actually hurting them.

This isn't a white flag on the season. It's just smart.

I was more angry when they were a few games out and traded Colon for Grady Sizemore, Brandon Phillips, Cliff Lee and I think Lee Stevens. Look how that one turned out.

I thought they were closer. 5 games out doesn't look too good for them over 3 teams. Thanks Lareux. GL

Tip I admire your loyalty. And I will agree that these aren't the guys but sooner or later I think they have to pay for and keep some guys in their walk years. Not Wayne Garland mind you but someone someday. GL :)

The last time the Dolans preemptively struck, Hafner and Westbrook happened. Would you want to be on the hook for CC or Lee right now. I daresay in this market, never pay, no one comes to the fucking games anyway. Draft well, trade smart, don't get attached to the laundry.

Maybe so. What will be interesting, and no one can know this outside of the clubhouse, is how the players react to these deals. Normally, if they like them the team will go on a mini run winning 6 or more games in their next 10. If it was not well received the team will usually drop 6 or 7 out of their next 10. Either way you will see fire or listless in response to this. It is fun to argue and speculate but the players know for sure and we will see which it is in the next week or so. GL

Winning or losing 6 out of 10 won't tell me anything, they've done that for years.

I'm pretty sure both players were popular in the clubhouse. Masty was tight with all the guys, I hear. Bit of a holy roller though. Privately, the pitchers won't miss Cabrera's defense. Publicly, the fans won't miss either guy. At least Masterson spins the occasional gem. Cabrera always mopes, always reports out of shape, never improves, acts like he doesn't understand English but we know he does ... Good luck with this guy, Nats, he's a big baby.

Back