MLB - Thursday 5/9

GameHunter

Pretty much a regular
SEASON: 136-120, +26.3539 Units
YESTERDAY: 5-3, +2.1750 Units

I guess I should be happy with a winning night but I still feel shortchanged on my POD, the Oakland A's. As most of us I am sure have seen several times, with 2 outs in the T9 and trailing 4-3, Adam Rosales hit a ball that deflected off a railing above the outfield wall and ricocheted back onto the field. The umpires awarded him a 2B but went to review it. The replay clearly showed the ball hitting above the fence for a HR. I would've bet $100k that the umpires were coming back to change it to a HR. The Cleveland Indians' announcers all agreed it was clearly a HR. After the game, the Indians' player all agreed it was a HR. On ESPN and MLB Network, they all made a mockery out of it showing what a clear HR it was. If you asked 1000 people for their opinion, 999 would say it was a HR. How then do 4 umpires come back from reviewing it and say it was a 2B? It really bring into question the integrity of the game and the use of videotape. Thank you for letting me vent!

PITTSBURGH +105 (1.25 UNITS)

OAKLAND -121 (1.25 UNITS) L

KANSAS CITY +105 (1.25 UNITS)

UNDER NYY/COL 9 RUNS (-115) (1.25 UNITS)

ANGELS -150 (0.75 UNITS)
ANGELS -1.5 RUNS (+105) (0.75 UNITS)**

OVER ATL/SF 7.5 RUNS (+105) (1 UNIT)

Last edited:
Agreed. I was listening to the Indians announcers and Tom Hamilton was going nuts. Strange to hear the opposing announcers yelling about a call that would have hurt their club by tying the game. Hamilton said "What a terrible call! What is the point of having replay if they are going to miss such an obvious call?" He also accurately pointed out "Why do the umpires have to have a meeting on the field for a while when they should just march into the clubhouse and have the tape reviewed immediately. That's what they are going to do anyway so why waste time talking to each other?" Very good point I thought. GL

Agreed. I was listening to the Indians announcers and Tom Hamilton was going nuts. Strange to hear the opposing announcers yelling about a call that would have hurt their club by tying the game. Hamilton said "What a terrible call! What is the point of having replay if they are going to miss such an obvious call?" He also accurately pointed out "Why do the umpires have to have a meeting on the field for a while when they should just march into the clubhouse and have the tape reviewed immediately. That's what they are going to do anyway so why waste time talking to each other?" Very good point I thought. GL

I agree w this 100% and Ill even take it a step further: why are the umps in the game the ones who watch the replay? Why not have a guy in a studio whos only job is to have every game on tv & when a play happens that might be reviewable, he immediately watches replays, from the comfort of an air conditioned room on a giant tv, abd if the umps decide to review it, they just buzz up to him & he quickly relays the correct call.

That would eliminate any extreme circumstance: maybe an umpon the field wants to go home, maybe hes fuming pver an argument he had w a player or manager & is therefore biased, maybe he is a douche who refuses to admit hes wrong (i believe this to be the case with angel).

Its just too easy of a solition for them to consider it.

I agree w this 100% and Ill even take it a step further: why are the umps in the game the ones who watch the replay? Why not have a guy in a studio whos only job is to have every game on tv & when a play happens that might be reviewable, he immediately watches replays, from the comfort of an air conditioned room on a giant tv, abd if the umps decide to review it, they just buzz up to him & he quickly relays the correct call.

That would eliminate any extreme circumstance: maybe an umpon the field wants to go home, maybe hes fuming pver an argument he had w a player or manager & is therefore biased, maybe he is a douche who refuses to admit hes wrong (i believe this to be the case with angel).

Its just too easy of a solition for them to consider it.

This makes too much sense.... MLB/Selig are too ornery to make these simple changes that would help the game. I would contend that if MLB did make a few changes such as this one, maybe there would be a bump in viewership.

Yup. Also, the "only hrs are reviewable" rule is moronic. A run is a run no matter how its scored. What if a runner was on 2nd & Rosales lined one down the line & its called foul but was clearly fair? Why is a run scored via home run considered any more important than a run scored that way? The system is beyond flawed & Bud should be ashamed of himself for living in 1980. I hate complimenting Goodell, but football is the only sport that has replay right (aside from the no challenge within 2 mins rule)

Pitt is a great play.. Locke has been really good and GEE sucks..

Mets have been cold last 10 games.

I actually thought you hit the LAA game. I got a bogus score of 7-5 when it was 6-5 for basically a push. Oh well, still a good positive day.

Back