MLB Thursday 11/3

Wiretowire

Pretty much a regular
YTD +2084
0-1 last

Thanks Strohs for the kind words and great analogy about Mccullers. GL

Houston/Phil over 6 -240/+100 - What's in a name? The books seem to think the name Verlander is worth -150 in road odds. I find that a bit excessive as he did not pitch well the first time Philly saw him. Let me rephrase that. It was basically batting practice for 5 innings. And now he is -150? In Philly? That would be -220 at least in Houston. Oh, and so much for the home crowd being able to lift the home team simply because they are yelling and screaming and extremely motivated while they pump up the home team to grand new heights. If that were truly the case, you would expect the home team to manage at least 1 hit. But then I have been saying the home crowd mystique and effect on the home team playing better is bullshit all along so I will just leave that alone. I wouldn't want to say I told you so or any childish shit like that.

But I digress so back to the game tonight. When I saw, Syndergaard was listed to start today I was going over in my mind all the horrible things I was going to say about what a boneheaded decision that was. Then this morning, when I actually started capping, I realized Philly really didn't have much choice. They could have started Wheeler, but he got hammered by Houston earlier in this series and they are going to go with him in the next one with Nola pitching game #7 if that happens. Because this is a computer screen you can't see me shuddering violently at what I just said. Or they could have thrown Falter out there, but he hasn't pitched in a month, and he wasn't all that good as a starter. Syndergaard also didn't do all that badly in his last couple of starts so the decision doesn't look all that bad in the new light of day. But his starts before his last two and recent relief duties haven't been good. Couple that with he is nowhere near the pitcher he used to be, and he probably won't go many innings and you can see why the over looks much better than even Philly +2 1/2 at -240. I wouldn't blame you for a little + money on Philly but I will stick with the safer over. GL

On the over and the Phils. Waiting on the tt's to be posted. JV will give it up again imo...

:cheers3:

I think those are both good bets Inzane. I would expect TT to be Houston 4 and Phil 3 1/2. Hope you hit them. GL

They just came up.

Houston is 4*+115, Phils are 3*+125.

I'll hit that Phils over at good odds, especially after yesterday's game.

Philly has won every home game until last night. I don’t think history shows its all 1 thing or the other but there’s a lot to be said about positive energy coming from 50k fans. Ever feel the energy of playing in front of 50k supportive or opposing fans? Does it mean home crowd energy can override a pitcher pitching lights out and can cause a player to get hits, not always. I think to a player they would say they’d rather play in front of their fans.
Is it coincidental why teams have better records and players have better stats at home? In my eyes, the energy of a crowd can’t be underestimated and at the same time can’t expect to be the reason why a home team would win 100% of the time. The silence of a home crowd can be deafening as well.

I understand what you are saying Wise. The most I ever played in front of was around 20,000. But I stand by my point that the home crowd is overrated when it comes to helping baseball players play better. Any other sport? Absolutely. But you played and you know to get "pumped" from the fans is not a good thing for your performance. You do realize that during the 2022 season the home team only won 54% of all games played. That is not a significant winning % for the home team and crowd when it comes to nearly 5,000 games. Sorry. We will have to agree to disagree on this one. GL

The real advantage to the home team is having the hammer, last at bats still matter fortunately even with all the tinkering going on with the rules.

I'm sorry I misquoted those season stats. I should have said throughout MLB history the home team has only won 54% of the time. Not just 2022 season but all of baseball history of all games ever played. That's from Elias sports bureau. You can google it if you like. GL

I completely agree KJ. GL

See Wise I can agree with people sometimes. I'm not always contrary. GL :)

I just dug a little deeper because I was curious what effect home field has during the playoffs and it is significant. Throughout MLB history of all playoff games played the home team wins 54.7% of the time. I think that's significant.

Ok my friend I am done teasing you. I absolutely agree that players would all say they prefer to play in front of their own fans. We agree on that for sure. GL

Over def what I like tonight, think gotta split between Ff and game since I don’t think Stros have score a run after the 5th inning all series! Thinking bout maybe a alternate over or 2, kinda think this could be a crazy game tonight

Back