MLB Sunday plays

Satyr

Paster of Muppets
MLB 2007: 65 W-6V-52 L +82.37 units

Skipped early games on purpose. Started analyzing the card and at some point felt overwhelmed by various, contradicting info, (anti)sweep theories, h2h, etc...

Just had to skip it. Had a 2 hour sleep and we're back in action. These are the picks I liked since early afternoon, and I'm taking them now.

Giants (Lowry) (RL) (2.34 @ Pinnacle) 7 units

Noah Lowry (5-4, 2.69 ERA) has been flying under the radar. He never did (nor probably will) have a stud-like reputation, but his numbers are solid.
Lowry has won a career-high four straight home starts, allowing six earned runs in 25 2-3 innings in those games. He improved to 4-1 with a 1.93 ERA in five starts at AT&T Park after he allowed six hits in seven innings of a 4-0 win over Houston on Monday. In Lowry's last 9 starts, he only gave up more than 3 ERs ONCE. And that was at the Dodger stadium, exactly 4. All other starts have been respectable. He has shown the ability to pitch long innings, and is very hard to work against, as he always seems to find the way to get out of trouble.

He's posting a 1.57 ERA in May, but the team has lacked to produce adequate run support and he went only 2-2 during that period. He already had to settle in for a loss at Coors on May 10, giving up 4 runs (2 ER) in 7 innings.
He is 3.75 against Colorado this year, but a staggering 2-5, 6.87 ERA in 10 career starts against the Rockies.
But I have to think he has overcome the obstacles he had when facing the Rockies, as his numbers have significantly improved against them this year, and I'll go for his 5th consecutive home win.
You think Lowry has had problems against the Rockies? Taylor Bucholz (2-2, 5.94 ERA) will get the nod for the Rockies tonight, and he is 0-2, 18.00 ERA against his tonight's opposition.
He was tagged for season highs of eight runs and 12 hits in 4 2-3 innings of a 15-2 loss to San Francisco on May 13, but rebounded nicely to give up an unearned run and five hits in seven innings of a 6-4 win over Kansas City last Saturday.
Why runline? Well first of, Giants will be up to avoid the sweep (even though this is NOT an anti-sweep play, as I don't factor it in my capping) so Bonds will be in the lineup despite the fact he usually misses a day game following a night game. Lowry has been very good this year, and I believe they'll break out of a slump tonight.
Furthermore, these two teams have played 11 games so far (Colorado leads 6-5) and ALL these games have finished by 2 runs or more for either team.
If this one is going to be an exception, ok. But I'm not laying this much chalk on the ML, as I feel the payout is much more rewarding this way.

More plays coming up...

Good luck my friend, although we're on the opposite sides. Well, if the Rockies will be my only losing bet of the night, I'll be more than happy ;)

:cheers:

Dodgers (Wolf) (1.83 @ Pinnacle) 6 units

I like the men in blue here. Wolf (6-3, 3.75 ERA) has been a nice surprise this year, and the offense seems to be stepping up for him. Wolf is 3-0 in his last 3 starts, posting 1.89 ERA in 19 innings of work. However he is 2-5, 4.76 ERA against the Cubs in his career, but this season has been outstanding for him, and I believe the newly found confidence will make a positive impact on him.

Rich Hill (4-4, 3.38 ERA), on the other hand, can't say he likes May. After posting a 3-1 record and 1.77 ERA in April, he's 1-3 with a 5.87 ERA this month. Hill struck out eight and was charged with five runs on six hits and two walks over six innings in his last start against the Padres. This will be his first start at Dodger Stadium, and first against the Dodgers.
It seems the oddsmakers believe Hill will bounce back from his lousy period tonight, but I don't see a valid factor indicating that. He might bounce back, but this is still a road start and the Dodgers have a very solid offense.
Jeff Kent and Rafael Furcal will be back to the lineup tonight.
The Cubs had to use their pen last night (and were quite successful), I just don't see it happening tonight again, if it comes down to bullpens to decide the winner. The Dodgers are my call.

Thanks guys. Unicorn, I kinda knew you were going to like the Rockies here ;), but as you see I'm with you when anti-sweep theory is concerned, as it doesn't factor my play almost at all. I like the Giants here however.

GL tonight everyone. :cheers:

Diamondbacks (Hernandez) (2.23 @ Pinnacle) 4 units

Fading the Astros here. Despite the fact they'll be sending out Roy Oswalt (6-3, 3.04 ERA), their ace to stop the bleeding. The Astros are 1-9 in last 10 and have been killed by the Snakes in this 4 game series so far, as the D-backs have a 3-0 lead, outscoring Houston 27 to 8.
Tonight they'll give the ball to Livan Hernandez (4-2, 3.66 ERA) who has been solid this year, despite the fact he was torched by the Astros earlier this year: in 4 innings of work he let in 11 hits and 8 earned runs.
I just can't miss out on this price, home dogs sending out a solid pitcher, against an offense that has been in a huge slump lately.
The Astros, meanwhile, have stranded 21 baserunners in this series as slugger Lance Berkman continues to struggle. Berkman is hitting .160 (8-for-50) with no homers and four RBIs over his last 14 games, and he's 3-for-21 (.143) in six games against Arizona this year. Berkman, however, has been hitting .346 against Hernandez in his career.
I'm aware Oswalt is a beast and will probably stop the bleeding one way or another, but who can say if Astros' bats wake up in time? I'll take my chances at a nice dog price.

That's probably it for me for tonight. GL everyone. :cheers:

hey satyr... GL today.. i alrdy made my plays today.. and didnt get a chacne to see yours... hey all look good as usual best of luck

Can anyone care to explain why on Earth would Lowry walk Spilborghs to get to Holiday? Putting another man on before you go face to face with a guy hitting .345 in the season with 8 homers. Just baffles me.

Oh well. RL is out of the question now :D.

Back