MLB Saturday 9/12

Wiretowire

Pretty much a regular
YTD +144
2-0 last

Cle/Minn under 9 x10 -130

Only picked one game for two reasons. First, that's all I liked. Second, most everyone will be betting and watching football so it doesn't matter.

Usually, I have a rant that probably pisses everyone off so I thought I would change things up and just tell a story as I have been thinking about Bloodhound a lot recently with the start of college football. For those of you that don't know who he was suffice it to say he was the best damn college football handicapper I ever saw. And there are some really good ones especially on this site. But the Hound was the best of them all in my opinion.

It's the middle of July and Bloodhound and I are sitting in Las Vegas in the Planet Hollywood sports book. While everyone else is cramming Caesars, Mirage, and Bellagio sports book we loved sitting at PH because no one was there especially during baseball season. It was around 4:00 in the afternoon and we had been sitting there since 10 am when the MLB games started. Because no one was there, just about all day, we were sitting in one of those alcove tables reserved for high rollers. Not that we qualified for that but no one else was coming and this was our third straight day just sitting and watching games so the manager invited us to sit there.

We had already cashed an early Indians total and a Cubs side bet was well in hand. Blood had already polished off his first bottle of Makers Mark and was in the process of bringing the bartender to his knees as he worked on his second. I was trying to eliminate the poor man's entire supply of Coors Light and was well into my second case. Now for any of you youngsters that doubt these claims there will be posters that come into this thread and can tell you from first hand knowledge that I am not exaggerating.

There was this barmaid that just loved Blood. This was not a surprise because damn near everyone loved him. If you walked down the street or sat in a bar with him everyone came up and wanted a picture with him. Now he wasn't a very handsome guy. In fact, he was pretty overweight. So why did everyone want to have their picture with him? Because the sonuvabitch looked exactly like Santa Claus. Seriously, white beard and mustache white hair and as I said he was pretty round. Every person that saw him literally squealed with glee and yelled "Hey Santa can I have a picture?" And of course Blood was very patient with everyone. In fact, he was probably the nicest man I ever knew. He would always put his arm around them men and women alike and ask them what their name was and where they were from. He even had one guy say I'm Jewish and Blood laughed and said come on in here anyway. And of course the guy came to be bear hugged by Santa Claus.

Now sitting with us in the sports book was Bloods wonderful wife Tracy. She was a saint. She sat there hour after hour day after day and would listen to us talk about sports and betting. This was our third day in a row remember. She never got bored or restless. I can't even recall her drinking much. I think she was the most patient and nice woman I ever saw. In the last couple of days I did go to teach her how to shoot craps and play video poker but that was only after all the games had ended. So we had made another East coast total bet at 4 pm and Blood says don't they call you Wiretowire? I said some do. He said doesn't that have to do with horse racing? I said it did. He said then pick some races and lets bet on those with Tracy while we watch the games.

Now normally I sit for hours before the races and go over the program but he had put me under the gun pointing out that I should be good at picking winners because of my internet name. So I looked around at all the monitors and suddenly I said ok there's a track that looks good to bet on. I sent Tracy up with a couple bucks to get us all programs from that track. So 6 minutes before each race I would tell Tracy which horse numbers to bet and how to bet them. She would run up to the window and make the bets and cash any winners we had. We had a helluva good time. We each put $20 in a pot in the middle of the table. We watched 10 races and won 9 of them. We hit straight up winners, exactas, and even a trifecta. The pot grew from $60 to over $600. Blood just shook his head and kept asking how the hell was I doing it without even more than glancing at the program. I told him when you are that good you don't have to study much. He was amazed. He said I was the best damn horse capper he ever saw and my name was well deserved.

Now what I never told them but I will tell you is that the track I saw and picked was Northfield Harness Park in Northfield Ohio. Some of you that know me have already connected some of the dots. I lived then and now live in Akron Ohio. Northfield is just 13 miles from my house and I went there at least 3 times a week. I even grew up going there and my uncle placed my first ever bet there for me when I was 10 years old. That was a very long time ago.

It's all well and good to know a track, horses, and jockeys but it's not enough to pick 9 winners out of 10 races. But remember I said I would tell Tracy who to bet on 6 minutes before each race? Well, that was because a guy named Dave D'ancona was the handicapper picker at Northfield and he would tell everyone who to bet 7 minutes before each race. If you have ever been to a track you know they always have a guy or woman who makes the picks just before each race. Dave was my guy. Over the years I had gotten to know him and many a time we had dinner together in the clubhouse before the nights races. We compared notes and he would always tell me in advance who he liked for that nights races. Helped a lot to know in advance for daily doubles and pick 3's because he would never tell anyone until he came on the tv 7 minutes before each race. Anyway, over the years and many beers, I knew Dave was someone I could trust to give me winners without me having to look at the program. He didn't fail me that night either. And by the way, Dave truly was the best damn harness capper I ever saw. But that night he convinced Blood and Tracy that Wiretowire was.

I miss them all terribly. GL

Last edited:
That’s it Wire?

Nice read......hope u have more stories to tell in the future.....

Whenever I bet or watch Alabama football, Bloodhound comes to my mind.......missed his CFB plays.....

Although Blood and I never met in person we spoke on phone on several occasions. As Wire stated he was the best, no joke , just one of the best people you could meet & talk with, he made time for all. Yes, he was the best cfb capper on planet

Back