MLB RSW

Disagree on Rox, like the others. BOL

I suppose I am liking the improvement of other teams in the division and just can't believe the SP rotation that Colorado is going to throw out there. They are older which means two important things to me ... 1. They are probably the most likely team to suffer multiple injuries to their lineup and 2. They are more likely to mail it in when things go bad. I will say they have decent character guys so maybe they do keep fighting. One thing I look for when backing rsw unders is the april may june schedule because if teams are heading towards out of contention, the goals become different the second half of the year. Rockies first three months are going to be very tough and they will be dogged a lot. I do like K Parker and think he is playing for the Rockies 2h which will actually be an upgrade most likely. Still, have a feeling they deal an old guy at the trade deadline to a contender. Throw in the unfair disadvantage the Rockies have when on the road because their relief pitching gets decimated because of their home house and I think they struggle big time again away from home. And lets face it, their relief pitching doesn't look that solid on a level. I suppose if the lineup clicks they can win 80 but it lines up poorly for them I think

I suppose I am liking the improvement of other teams in the division and just can't believe the SP rotation that Colorado is going to throw out there. They are older which means two important things to me ... 1. They are probably the most likely team to suffer multiple injuries to their lineup and 2. They are more likely to mail it in when things go bad. I will say they have decent character guys so maybe they do keep fighting. One thing I look for when backing rsw unders is the april may june schedule because if teams are heading towards out of contention, the goals become different the second half of the year. Rockies first three months are going to be very tough and they will be dogged a lot. I do like K Parker and think he is playing for the Rockies 2h which will actually be an upgrade most likely. Still, have a feeling they deal an old guy at the trade deadline to a contender. Throw in the unfair disadvantage the Rockies have when on the road because their relief pitching gets decimated because of their home house and I think they struggle big time again away from home. And lets face it, their relief pitching doesn't look that solid on a level. I suppose if the lineup clicks they can win 80 but it lines up poorly for them I think

See, I don't really like the NL West. I think Arizona got worse, I think the Giants are going to be under .500, and I think the Pads will be their normal self. I rate the Dodgers as being an under team as well (though i didn't play it)

I think you make an excellent point in terms of taxing the relievers based on having to pull the starters.

You mention that you don't like the Rockies pen, I actually love it. I agree with fangraphs that has the Rockies pen as the 3rd best in baseball.

"[TABLE="class: tablesoreder, depth_chart, width: 598"]
<thead>[TR]
[TH="bgcolor: gray, align: left"]ame[/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: gray, align: right"]IP[/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: gray, align: right"]K/9[/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: gray, align: right"]BB/9[/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: gray, align: right"]HR/9[/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: gray, align: right"]BABIP[/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: gray, align: right"]LOB%[/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: gray, align: right"]ERA[/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: gray, align: right"]FIP[/TH]
[TH="bgcolor: gray, align: right"]WAR[/TH]
[/TR]
</thead><tbody>[TR="class: depth_reg"]
[TD]LaTroy Hawkins[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]65.0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]6.4[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1.9[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1.0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"].316[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]71.2 %[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3.96[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3.73[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: depth_reg"]
[TD]Rex Brothers[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]65.0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]10.7[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]4.3[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]0.8[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]76.1 %[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3.38[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3.28[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1.2[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]Matt Belisle[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]55.0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]7.2[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2.1[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]0.8[/TD]
[TD="align: right"].320[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]70.9 %[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3.86[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3.44[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]0.7[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]Adam Ottavino[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]55.0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]8.5[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3.5[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]0.9[/TD]
[TD="align: right"].315[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]72.1 %[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3.99[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3.73[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]0.5[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]Boone Logan[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]45.0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]10.3[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3.2[/TD]
[TD="align: right"].317[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]74.9 %[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3.55[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3.32[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]0.4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]Franklin Morales[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]40.0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]8.2[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3.9[/TD]
[TD="align: right"].308[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]73.0 %[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]4.39[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]4.49[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]0.0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]Wilton Lopez[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]35.0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]6.3[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2.0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]0.9[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]70.9 %[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3.98[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3.69[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]0.1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]Chad Bettis[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]30.0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]7.5[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2.8[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]71.0 %[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]4.38[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]4.16[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]Rob Scahill[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]25.0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]7.1[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3.4[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1.1[/TD]
[TD="align: right"].313[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]71.0 %[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]4.52[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]4.42[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]Greg Burke[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]20.0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]6.4[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3.5[/TD]
[TD="align: right"].318[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]69.0 %[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]4.74[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]4.39[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]Nick Masset[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]15.0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]7.6[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3.4[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]71.7 %[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]4.26[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]4.04[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]The Others[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]49.0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]8.0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]4.3[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]71.1 %[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]4.53[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]4.37[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: depth_tot, bgcolor: #E7E7E7"]
[TD]Total[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]499.0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]8.1[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3.2[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]72.2 %[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]4.03[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3.82[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]4.0[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
Bet you didn’t expect this. Or maybe you did if you looked at last year’s bullpens and noticed that the Rox had the best bullpen in the National League. Then they added LaTroy Hawkins, who is 85 but also a pretty good reliever slated to put up a win above replacement in 2014. Is Hawkins or the superior Rex Brothers the closer? Let the fantasy crowd figure that out, it’s nice to know they have two good arms at the back end of their pen, even if almost twenty years of age separate them.
Three good arms! Matt Belisle! He’s a top-ten reliever over the last three years. All this with a 91-mph fastball and slider combination — backed by great control. Really, you could describe Hawkins that way. Maybe there’s something to that. We know that pitchers don’t like throwing curveballs in Denver.
This pen didn’t sit on its laurels, at least when it came to lefties. Out went the surprising Josh Outman and the resurgent Drew Pomeranz, and in came old friend Franklin Morales and excellent LOOGY Boone Logan. Giving over five million a year for three years in order to make a LOOGY your eighth-highest paid player seems a bit foolish, but maybe the Rockies see more in Logan. Though his results have been no good — an FIP over five against righties for his career — Logan’s rarely-used change actually has an above-average whiff rate. Maybe he’ll throw it more and evolve. Even if he doesn’t, he joins a solid core at the end of that bullpen."

Here is another fangraphs article on the Rockies..... http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-most-interesting-nl-rebuilder-colorado-rockies/

I think the Rockies rotation is top half of baseball (though numbers may look worse because of ballpark) THeir rotation doesn't have studs, but it does have a bunch of solid guys. The addition of Anderson, if healthy could be massive.

As you mentioned, the two concerns for my bet are them trading vets if they get behind the Dodgers and injuries. (Gonzo/Tulo). I just think 76 is a low number for a team with a solid, above average roation, an extremely good pen, and two of the best hitters in baseball. Those two, if healthy can carry an offense, but they also have guys like Rosario and Cuddyer that can swing it. Offense is certainly going to be very good.

Checking in on these as I have been too busy to play baseball this year. Looks like I will need to win one of the two coin flips with Cleveland or Washington to win. While Washington is a game or so off pace, they rate to close strong and I feel good about that one. I am not so sure about Cleveland but they have been hanging in there all year ....... Colorado pitching was as expected and just need them to not have cancelled games ....

Nationals over 90 wins, current record 87-64, 11 games remaining , 3 to tie 4 to win
Colorado under 76.5, current record 61-91, 10 games remaining, winner
Indians over 81 , current record 78-73, 11 games remaining, 3 to tie 4 to win

couldn't have gone much better the second half of the year.

smodod

Back