MLB Playoffs - Opening Round (and a play-in game)

Yanks27Sox9

CTG Partner
Gotta get some sleep eventually tonight, so i'm gonna be quick getting this thread started...and initial plays posted.

Tuesday's play-in game...

MIN/CWS over 9.5 (+109) for 1 unit
Blackburn vs Danks

Couldn't find a side to back in this one...as i feel it's a coin flip...but i do like a lot of runs to be scored by both sides here. Should be an exciting game.

Wednesday's game 1s...

LAA ML (-117) over BOS for 1 unit
Lester vs Lackey

MIL ML (+185) over PHI for 1/2 unit
Gallardo vs Hamels

LAD ML (+149) over CHI for 1/2 unit
Lowe vs Dempster

I know the Halo/BoSox history very well, and that of Lackey's too. That said...the Halos flat out owned Boston this season, which was in complete contrast to prior years. Anyhow, imo, short odds on the better team here...who's got many more advantages in the series than just home field, imho.

Taking flyers on the other 2 (game one) doggies on the road. But i like the momentum both carry into these games...i like the pitching matchups, in that both gallardo and lowe will frustrate their respective opposing lineups, keeping their respective team's in the game against the other side's aces...so i'm taking a shot on both.

I like both the Phils and Cubs to advance...just think the game ones present possibly the best chance for the Brewers and Dodgers to make a series of it.
Like the Halos to win in 4 as well, taking the 1st 2 @ home...and the same goes for TB, regardless of who they play.

one DP for each side not helping our case for the over!!

BOL big yanksss lets cash this bitch, and GL in the postseaosn as well

one DP for each side not helping our case for the over!!

BOL big yanksss lets cash this bitch, and GL in the postseaosn as well

yeah, this shit was over by the 3rd inning. as soon as we saw that no one (from either side) was putting any decent wood on the ball...against average pitching that the big bats for both sides had excellent stats against previously...it was obvious the hova had zero chance of happening.

oh well...the SPs stepped up a bit...and the bats either just didn't show up, or they're squeezing it too much. prolly a combo of both factors, considering the history. but this type of duel is what i was expecting to see on wednesday...not today, between 2 teams that played sloppy down the stretch, neither one wanting to grab the division.

anyways, i feel extra innings coming up tonight...as neither side is playing like they 'want' to take the division as their own, even at this point...at least at the plate.

TB is gonna roll either one of these pretenders...

bad start w/ the play-in game. can't get more of an under than that, lol.

anyways, no line yet on the TB/CWS game one for thurs...but i will be on TB for sure...and prolly the -1 RL at that.

for those of you that don't use 5dimes much...they've brought back the +/- 1 run line for the playoffs. (like how it used to be all season long at pinny, in the gold ol' days.)
but if you're like me, and like to avoid laying chalk whenever/wherever possible, the 1 RL (risking a tie) is definitely worth a look...when the MLs get too pricey, that is.
:shake:

gl yanks. Wind blowin in tonight at wrigley, but neither pitcher should be affected tremendously since they are groundballers.. I rate both pitchers about the same, but lowe on the road still leaves me with a bad feeling.. hope yah cash though, as i will be on the total

not a good start.
if cameron and weeks could catch, it woulda been a helluva game...and the brew crew could've pulled the upset. but it is what it is...and it's why defense is so important.
and the halos definitely came out flat...and are basically in a must win spot on friday, as a result.
but at least the dodgers salvaged something today.

on to thursday...

haven't made up my mind on the brewer/philly game two yet. on one hand, i wouldn't mind taking the home dog. but on the other, i can't go against CC at the moment. he's a man on a mission, and that could be enough.

anyways, just a couple small action plays so far.

TB -1.5 RL (+115) over CWS for 1/2 unit
Vazquez vs Shields

LAD ML (+156) over CHI for 1/2 unit
Billingsley vs Zambrano

Might add a bit more on the TB -1 RL, when it comes out in the morning...but it depends.

And doubling back on the dodgers here. Z's been too inconsistent...and Chad, if on, can be lights out. Dodgers just putting better wood on the ball, taking better ABs, etc...overall. So i might have to wait until we have a change of venues to jump over to the cubbies.

BOL yanks, on TB as well, ML and RL

lets have a better result then that last total play in the CWS game :hang:

cant argue with fading Z either, just have enough action already. but +150 backing bills who is capable of shutting a team down, against big Z who has just exploded in his last 2 outings since the no-hitter.
but this is the postseason, so could be a whole nother story. we shall see

im interested to see if he lets his emotions get the better of him.... big spot for him with pitching with basically the cubs WS hopes on the line.

in agreement on both.. let's cash em, yanks

was a much better day, grind. :shake:

you'll get em Yanks ;)

GL bro :cheers:

thx, satyr :shake:

BOL yanks, on TB as well, ML and RL

lets have a better result then that last total play in the CWS game :hang:

cant argue with fading Z either, just have enough action already. but +150 backing bills who is capable of shutting a team down, against big Z who has just exploded in his last 2 outings since the no-hitter.
but this is the postseason, so could be a whole nother story. we shall see

im interested to see if he lets his emotions get the better of him.... big spot for him with pitching with basically the cubs WS hopes on the line.

thx, cap :shake:
small action plays, but it was fun. Z is the definition of all or nothing. and nice hits on TB bro.

Yep, that was a much better day of playoff baseball. Well, unless your a Cubs fan...in which case you have my sympathies.
That said...after taking the Dodgers in both of the games so far...i definitely will be switching sides for game 3 in LA, and backing the Cubbies...at least for one game, against kookoo kuroda.

anyhow, 3-3 so far in the playoffs...but still down .57 of a unit. and i've got 2 plays for friday's game twos...

TB -1 RL (-115) over CWS for 3/4 unit
Buehrle vs Kazmir

LAA -1 RL (+110) over BOS for 3/4 unit
Matsuzaka vs Santana

Both plays are betting on the teams, not the SPs per se.

First the Halos. Like i said somewhere here...this is a must win for the Angels, plain & simple...considering the years past, as well as what we saw the other day. The problem is that depending on which Erwin shows up, there's prolly an advantage to Boston in this SP matchup. That said...i expect the Halos to come out like the team they really are...pitch well, play good defense, run more & better, etc...really putting the pressure (of the game itself) back onto the BoSox.

Now the Rays. And i'll begin with some caution here.
I'd suggest not pounding TB in this spot. The juice is too high, and i do not like this SP matchup. Now yes, obviously i'm playing the Rays...but i'm doing it small, and not laying much chalk. But again, i'm playing the team...not the SP matchup...as i think the Rays have things firing on all cylinders, as a collective unit. Hell, they're fun to watch...as that's a team, in the truest sense of the word.
I'll explain my caution about the SPs further though. Gun to the head...and i had to pick one of these 2 SPs to start one game for me...i'd prolly choose buehrle in all honesty. but remember...this isn't fantasy/make-believe baseball...it's the real thing. so simply having the sexy name/SP like kazmir, over the ho-hum name/SP like buerhle, isn't the slam dunk that it would be in a fantasy draft.
bottom line...buerhle is a pitcher, in the true/intelligent sense of the word. kazmir is only a thrower...and nothing more than a 5 to 6 inning strikeout artist at his best. sure he's got a great, live arm...but he's too erratic, outside of the zone as well as over the heart of the zone, and he throws way too many pitches. check it out if you dont' believe me...4 to 6 innings every time, depending on the extent of his wildness/# of pitches.
so even in the best of times for kazmir...a strong 6 inning performance...you still end up putting a good deal of pressure on your pen to seal the deal. anyways, he's got a great/erratic arm...but he's jsut a thrower, not a pitcher. and buerhle, in about every way possible, is the exact opposite of kazmir...which is why i would trust him more with my one game...and it's why i do not like the SP matchup in this spot.

in other words...if TB (as a team/unit) didn't seem to have everything going their way at the moment...&/or i was jsut looking at SPs...i'd be on the other side. luckily though, since i'm pulling for the rays to get to the series, that's not the case...and the SPs don't make up the entire picture.

sry for the tangent. but i've had my fill of great arms that can't pitch/don't know how to pitch...and i've been calling out the 5 inning strikeout artist all year. jsut doing it again here, lol.

anyhow, GL on friday. :cheers:
i really wish dimes would go with the +/- 1 RL all season long, like pinny did...cuz i'll risk a tie any day of the week to avoid that -180 price.

split the day on friday nite. the early one went pretty much as expected. kazmir doesn't get the so-called quality start, but the rays pull it out in the end. the late one also went pretty much as expected, up until the future new york mutt served up a meaty change to drew...blowing the game/comeback.

poor halos and cubbies...both pulling their best seattle mariner impersonations this postseason.

well, 2 very small plays for saturday.
haven't been able to get into 5dimes all night/morning..so fuck it...i'm staying small, and playing with the lessor quality BM lines.

PHI/MIL over 9 (-105) for 1/2 unit
Moyer vs Bush

CHI -1.5 RL (+125) over LAD for 1/2 unit
Harden vs Kuroda

4-4 this postseason, still down a bit of change.

prolly a sucker with this over...but there are two potent offenses waiting to burst out, against two SPs i have very little respect for...albeit in moyer's case, it's more of an age catching up with him kinda thing.
anyways, i'd like to back the brewers again...just don't feel i can trust them to not get swept under the rug by the phils today.

cubbies gonna win this one...just hope its by 2 or more runs. in fact, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see this series make it back to wrigley...only to have the dodgers break their hearts one last time before moving on to the phils.

GL whichever way u go with these games. :tiphat:

im at the point of apathy with the halos... I knew the whole year that Franky's shit delivery that yields 93mph velocity and emotional flaws was going to bleed to effect important games. Commentators always praise it, saying that "it's such a violent, intimidating delivery! He was born to be a closer" Yeah..it also takes 5 minutes to get off the ground after falling down and throw the ball to second... I'm just in disbelief that the 3,4,5 guys are actually delivering, but NOW, the others arent. Guess i will have to shift gears and opt to root for my second team dodgers..but yeah, i feel you on these losses. GL today.

well, both those small saturday plays lost...so 4-6 in the playoffs, dammit. and the cubbies are the first to go home. wow...woulda never guessed beforehand...not in the first round.

anyways, playing all 3 doggies on sunday. two to extend, and one to close.

MIL ML (+109) over PHI for 3/4 unit
Blanton vs Suppan

TB ML (+138) over CWS for 3/4 unit
Garza vs Danks

LAA ML (+164) over BOS for 1/2 unit
Saunders vs Beckett

might as well back the halos one final time, lol. hopefully they show more heart than the cubbies did.
the rays are gonna sweep tomorrow. hoping the brew crew can force a game five.

wouldn't that be hilarious? an excellent ALCS of boston and tampa...and a lackluster (to be nice) NLCS of the dodgers and brewers. lol...might as well make the AL team -250 to win the series if that's the case. ;)

:tiphat:

eh, 1-2 on sunday:hang:

for monday i'm back on the rays...small though.

TB ML (+119) over CWS for 1/2 unit

not sure if i'm gonna play the halos or not. if not, i'll just watch.

:tiphat:

Congrats to the TB Rays!!! :cheers:
Love watching that team play ball.

And let's bring this shit back to Anaheim for a game five.

LAA ML (+117) over BOS for a 1/2 unit
&
LAA -1 RL (+157) for a 1/2 unit

Did i mention, fuck Boston? :shake:
Seriously, the Halos couldn't have played a worse game in game 3...yet still have ended up winning the thing. Boston may have missed their best chance to eliminate them, as a result.
And yes, Lester the molester has been nails at home. But so was Dempster...and we know how that story ended.

Lackey pitches a gem tonight. Go Halos! :tiphat:

Back