MLB Playoffs - ALCS/NLCS

Yanks27Sox9

CTG Partner
The first round didn't go all that well...lost more than i won...but it's on to the 2nd round, just the same. Here are my game one plays for both...

PHI -1 RL (+105) over LAD for 3/4 unit
Lowe vs Hamels

TB ML (-110) over BOS for 3/4 unit
Dice-k vs Shields

Have a feeling we see the home teams really take control this round...especially in the AL, where it's possible the road team might not win a game. Unlikely, i guess, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Anyways, Hamels is the type of arm that can quickly silence the dodger bats. And i might be wrong here...but i don't have the impression that the phillies are under a lot of pressure, like the cubbies were. one of the dodger's strengths that last series was how loose they played, w/out the expectations and so forth. anyhow, i haven't been given that impression by the phils...but i could be wrong on that, not being there locally.
nevertheless, i think hamels shines...and i think lowe struggles a bit in this one...as the phils pull out to a 1-0 series lead. (by no means does that mean i'm picking them for the series...jsut game one...as this NLCS is a coin flip, imo.)

As for the ALCS. Well, it's not like i'm gonna bet on the BoSox, lol. ;)
Gotta back my rooting interest, right? J/k. Home teams. Simple as that. Rays are hot...and in a way, i think there are 2 factors playing into them not folding under the pressure...like the halos did. First, they're youth. In a way, i think they're too naive to understand or feel it. Second, what expectations? After all, before this year, they were the cellar-dwellar of the AL East...so it's like they're playing on house money.
Anyhow...the Rays are hands-down the best team left standing...in every sense of the word, team. And i believe they get it done, in terms of the series, because of that.
As for the first game...these 2 know each other. Both SPs have had their ups n downs against the other team. Dice-k has done great on the road this year...and Shields has been great at home this year. But again, the home teams have shined in this matchup...and the Rays have shined in the 1-run games in the games between them this year. The better lineup, as of today...the better defense, though i said the same thing about the halos lol...better team speed... the healthier team...and if Beckett's not 100%, better pitching (from top to bottom) as well...except at closer.
And i think that youth/energy, combined with being in that small mkt, will be just the ticket to counteract any experience factor that the bosox would enjoy/have in this spot.

Shields made a statement earlier in the year. Would love to see him make another one in this start, setting the tone for the series...the same tone they've been following all year. It's time to put big brother on his ass, one way or the other.

:tiphat:

been all over the place in the NLCS G1 and have finally decided to show some discipline and pass. Maybe play some pucks are some shit. Locked in the Rays with ya earlier today. "Big Game" Shields gonna give us a quality start.. Let's cash that bitch. GL tonight, Yanks

been all over the place in the NLCS G1 and have finally decided to show some discipline and pass. Maybe play some pucks are some shit. Locked in the Rays with ya earlier today. "Big Game" Shields gonna give us a quality start.. Let's cash that bitch. GL tonight, Yanks

GL, Grind. :shake:

Longoria's gonna have a HUGE series. :tiphat:

goin' back on philly in game two...after pushing on then in game one.

PHI ML (+101) over LAD for 3/4 unit
Billingsley vs Myers

It's not the SP matchup i'm backing, per se, it's the team...and in this case the home team. Not gonna get into it all again...but just feel the home teams will prevail for the majority of this round.
That said...i'm still planning on backing the dodgers for games 3 & 4. Then we'll see where it goes from there.
Dodgers are a streaky team though...and it wouldn't be out of character to drop these first two in philly, then kick ass in their home games...and really keep thsi a good series.
My 2 cents...

GL with the 2 games on Friday...and go Rays. :tiphat:

goood luck yanks!

on TB as well, thinking of adding the RL and hoping that boston middle relief can shit the bed here and help the rays get the -1.5.....

at +170 giving it a serious look... i do think dice-k will pitch well and it will be a very tight game after 5.... but it is game 1 and the pen is rested and healthy. so not sure yet

good health on the phills im leanin towards LAD in that one, but havent played anything yet

gl on this one, yanks. Played the under 1st 5 last night...I think my suspicions may be correct in that this is going to be a fairly defensive, low scoring series. I think it comes down to taking advantage of favorable hitting matchups and mistakes like we saw yesterday against lowe. Only time the games have gotten out of hand recently with the dodgers are when relievers like elbert or johnson take over a close game. Anyhow, cant argue with your play given Myer's splits against the blue.

With you on the Rays, Yanks. I certainly do not want to see you change your name again! :)

With you on the Rays, Yanks. I certainly do not want to see you change your name again! :)

from your mouth to God's ear, brotha. :shake:
i'd die happily if i never had to change the 2nd half of my user name ever again. unfortunately though, i pretty much expect that i will be changing it soon. 2 reasons. in game one, the rays did their best Halo impersonation. and the other is that those c-cksuckers remind me a lot of the yanks in the late 90s. so many similarities, it's sickening.

oh well. and with so much football going on, i completely forgot to make a play on tonight's bosox/ray game. at least the rays won though. :)

on to Monday's game. sitting at 1-1-1 this round.

LAD -1 RL (-109) over PHI for 1 unit
Moyer vs Kuroda

here's where the boys in blue make it a series. :tiphat:

:cheers:

nice hit with the dodgers bro

and thanks btw,
i stole your -1 idea for today and will probably be doing the same thing for lester tomorrow, it brings the vig down considerably and makes those mid-range faves alot cheaper to play.

the big faves have been hitting at a pretty high rate so far this posteason too... lester is that pricey for a reason. his playoff numbers are inhumane and hes been throwing almost that well all year at home, was a RL covering machine this year

Cap/Satyr/Bar...thx guys. :shake:
The Dodgers played game three perfectly.

Sry, wasn't around last night. But just played the 2 games for today/Monday...so i'm posting them from the office via admin.

TB +1.5 RL (-125) over BOS for 3/4 unit
Garza vs Lester

LAD -1.5 RL (+115) over PHI for 3/4 unit
Blanton vs Lowe

They sure are making you pay a price to back the home teams. But that said, i'm sticking with the Rays...and not just cuz of rooting interests.
Debated the plus odds on the +1 RL, which was tempting...but because of Lester, went with the more conservative +1.5 RL instead.
Loved the fire from the Dodgers yesterday. It put the Phils right back on their heels, and set the tone for these games in LA. Blanton, to me, is slightly better than garbage. I know that's harsh...but see my harsh comments on an SP like Kazmir, and you'll see i hold pitchers to a different standard. Anyways, don't be fazed by Lowe going on 3 days rest...as he's shown that can actually be a benefit as to what he's trying to get accomplished. (Getting more sink on the ball.)

Lastly...i don't know what it's like at Chavez Ravine...but most of LA is windy as hell today. Santa Ana's. So if it's holding true at Dodger Stadium...in terms of how the wind's been howling in SE LA County...then it should be gusting in from right field.

Anyways, GL with yout plays today.
Hoping the Dodgers even up their series...and hoping the Rays grab a lead in their series.

and thanks btw,
i stole your -1 idea for today and will probably be doing the same thing for lester tomorrow, it brings the vig down considerably and makes those mid-range faves alot cheaper to play.

absolutely. i just wish they were available all season long, like they used to be when we had access to pinny. they can be a helluva tool, imo.

also i think those +/- 1 RLs are more appropriate with the favs you mentioned...then dogs. they can be enticing...but when on the dog, i prefer the traditional ML or +1.5 RL instead.
bottom line...it's always about picking the winner...but it's also always about minimizing the chalk, and getting the best price/value possible.

:shake:

great call on tampa yanks

i couldnt have been more wrong there

just wish i woulda been greedy enough to play the ML instead, lol.

oh well...the dodger bullpen shit the bed tonight. not only did they blow the RL...they blew the freakin' game...and for all intents & purposes, the series. simply unreal.

and i know the RPs are to blame for the pitches they threw/mistakes they made...but having watched it for so long, that was a typical example of Torre mishandling the pen.

but whatever's to blame...that top of the 8th inning was definitely a series changer/deal breaker.

anyways, 3-2-1 so far this round. on to tuesday's game four...

TB ML (+134) over BOS for 1/2 unit

Sonnanstine vs Wakefield

just a small/action play, as i do not trust/like sonnanstine at all.
that said...the bosox aren't hitting for shit this postseason. their strength nowadays is pitching and (sometimes) defense. but TB has now beaten both Beckett and Lester...and honestly they could have a 3-0 lead, had they not acted like the Halos in game one against dice-k.

anyhow, sonnanstine has started twice this season against boston...and the rays are 2-0 in those games. conversely, wakefield has started three times against tampa bay this season...and the bosox are 0-3 in those games.

the other reason it's jsut a small play...even though the rays look outstanding again...is that this is as close to a must win for boston as possible, imo. with their 4th best option on the mound...knowing what's in store, and how poorly they've done in TB this season...they gotta know how pivotal game four now is. so, along with my disdain for both these SPs, that's why it's just a small play on the rays tomorrow...and not a normal play.

oh well...the dodger bullpen shit the bed tonight. not only did they blow the RL...they blew the freakin' game...and for all intents & purposes, the series. simply unreal.

and i know the RPs are to blame for the pitches they threw/mistakes they made...but having watched it for so long, that was a typical example of Torre mishandling the pen.

but whatever's to blame...that top of the 8th inning was definitely a series changer/deal breaker.

:shake:

on the bosox/rays game this is the hardest game for me 2 decide on usally just ride one team and been betting the Rays all series on the ML but I wanna bet bosox in this1 and I dont know why.

sad to say, but it's true.

look at the yanks last year. in the dumps, until cashman took away the 2 weakest links in the pen (proctor and myers) that torre loved to use so much. added in Joba...and they made their run.

wade was off 2 IP the day before. mcdonald has been lights out...kuo, minus the howard single, was throwing lights out...etc.
and why park again...and not maddux, when it was a 3-2 lead, after kershaw got wild?

the relievers make the pitches...mistakes...but whether its farnsworth, proctor, or whoever...managing the pen, and late inning situations, has always been torre's biggest weakness as a manager. having mo rivera masked that fact for the most part...but whoever you want to blame for tonight, torre didn't put his team in the best situation to hold the lead with his bullpen decisions.

on the bosox/rays game this is the hardest game for me 2 decide on usally just ride one team and been betting the Rays all series on the ML but I wanna bet bosox in this1 and I dont know why.

cuz it's a must win for them...especially since beckett's obviously not ok. (lester's getting way up there in innings too, relative to his age/experience/etc.)

just wish i woulda been greedy enough to play the ML instead, lol.

but whatever's to blame...that top of the 8th inning was definitely a series changer/deal breaker..

why does torre always fall in love with a certain reliever and ride them into the ground? wade had no fucking business being in that game

what happened to JOE BEIMEL? does he still exist?? most consistent and trusted arm in that pen, setup man all year long, he should have started the 8th, and finished it. no questions asked.
instead the fucking idiot brings in 2 rookies in wade/kershaw, with the dodgers season on the line. while wade has been great at home this season, torre has used him a shitload this series, and it was only a matter of time before he was exposed.

this is a phillies lineup in which 2/3 of the lineup is capable of taking any pitch and knocking it out of the park. you cant be sitting around playing with your dick pitching to them.

has beimel even pitched more then 1 inning in this series? what the fuck is wrong with torre?

it is, exactly wat you said it is, torres dumb ass mismanaging the pen.
i agree with you, wade and broxton were the ones that made a bad pitch, but they shouldnt have been put in that fucking situation to start with.

beimel shoulda came in the 8th, and broxton 9th. at worst broxton gives up a solo shot, and dodgers win. no "bringing your closer in in the 8th" bullshit.
fuck torre, im still reeling from that shit, and if i was a dodgers fan id be even more pissed

Yanks...In case you didn't hear, Meachem (third base coach)and Monteleone (special pitching instructor) got fired today. The cleaning house has begun. GL with the play. Not sure what I'm on yet. Leaning TB.

sry, guys...i'll respond more later. it's freakin' already 3am...and i wonder why i'm always tired...

anyways, played the phils for a bit tonight...but didn't get on to post it, so it doesn't count. but like i said...the dodgers lost the series in that 8th inning.

but congrats to the philly fans. :tiphat: you guys got a good team.

now for thursday's game...
despite the SP matchup, im jumping on the rays again...small though, again. dice-k is the one SP for boston that's done the job this series...but i keep thinking he can only walk the tightrope for so long. kazmir is just a 5 inning thrower, not a pitcher...but the anemic bosox bats will hopefully not repeat their success against him from game two.

but it's the rays year. love watching this young team...love how they were built...etc. so i'm on the rays to close it out and meet the phils in the series.

TB ML (+144) over BOS for a 1/2 unit
Kazmir vs Dice-K

still not getting greedy...even though i wish i would've with the last 2 tb wins.

enjoy the game :tiphat:

Indeed. I lost 500, but hopefully all this fluster currently going on about Boston's past comebacks being projected onto this current rag-tag mob will lead to a healthy Tampa line for game 6.

wow :D

not again? :D NOT AGAIN! :D

The Red Sox just won't die.

Never mind; Shields v Beckett, we get it done here, Rays backers. Red Sox can't come back from this hole.

Can they? :(

the good news for the rays is that beckett is obviously not right/healthy.

the bad news for the rays is that's the kind of loss that can kill you mentally. (it did the dodgers, lol.) but hopefully their youth, and naivity, serves them well...and somehow they're able to brush off this horrid loss with the off day.

we shall see...

...hopefully all this fluster currently going on about Boston's past comebacks being projected onto this current rag-tag mob will lead to a healthy Tampa line for game 6.

Couldn't agree more with you on this.

Although the bad taste of this wasted opportunity at such a generous price bookies gave us won't go off so fast...

See you on Saturday, hopefully Rays will do it right this time.

:cheers:

Last edited:
I'm chasing with the Rays. Taking them game 6 and if they lose then taking them game 7. I seriously doubt TB blows this series even after last night. I know the Boston down 3-0 comeback crap but this is still the best team in baseball that is hungry to win a WS. Just hope we get a good TB line.

i pulled a fondy and threw up in my mouth...just for different reasons.
it seems i have the same aversion to anything boston-related that he does to anything penguin-related. ;)

BOS ML (+133) over TB for a 1/2 unit
Beckett vs Shields

If the play is a loser, i'm happy. If the play wins, i at least get my $ back from the 7-0 choke the other nite.

I'm half serious too. But the other half needs to see it to believe it...in terms of a team being able to overcome, and move on from, a meltdown of such epic proportions.

BTW...that means i'm still rooting for all you Rays backers...and i hope you cash your wagers tomorrow on them. :shake:

Back