MLB Monday

Satyr

Paster of Muppets
5 units on CLE-BOS over 9.5 (1.92 @ Pinnacle)

Westbrook v Matsuzaka, two of the best lineups in the AL in the last month and throughout the year... enough said...

im on the other side satyr, small tho, under 10 -120. i know dice k's one start at the jake isnt much reference (7 shutout inns, 4 hits), but he really has pitched much better on the road than at fenway. especially after a bad home start. hes had plenty of rest after his last start, but shown signs of wearing down in sept. ive thought highly of him all year despite numerous bad starts, but a "big game pitcher" is a big game pitcher. and i got a gut feeling hes going to pitch a gem tonight. he knows he needs to pitch well tonight, if he expect grace from boston. on the other hand, westbrook doesnt have great numbers vs. boston, but he is home and that should help a bit. i looked over the numbers from the sox lineup and no one has ever taken him deep, yet. big papi's 0-7 lifetime vs. him as well. adding in the fact that this is pretty much a must win type situation for both sides, i expect each team to play for early runs, keeping away from the big innings early.... well if dice k can keep away from bb's. good luck either way tho. expecting a 4-1, 5-2 type game sox winning.

Gotta agree, all those 120+ pitch counts from Dice K sure matter now in October. If the Tribe has the patience to work some counts and build up the pitch count again they will surely be in business...and I'm sure Westbrook won't have any problems giving up 4+ of his own...

The over looks pretty sweet to me. A few reasons...

-Westbrook is an underwhelming pitcher vs. a good offense that has smacked him around this year. He is a bit better at home, but I still think Boston will put up some runs on him.
-Both pitchers have higher night ERAs.

Focus on Dice K
-Dice K did shut down the Indians last time around, but that was almost 3 months ago. His ERA, Whip and BB/IP have soared since the All-Star break, while his K/9 has dropped a bit. The last two months he has been progressively worse, which could be attributed to the pitch count issue mentioned above.
-Interesting tidbit: if you take out the teams which Dice K only pitched once against, his ERA raises to a around 5 and his Whip just a tad to 1.35. If you go further and take out the first game against these opponents, his ERA raises to 5.40 and his Whip to 1.40. His K/IP drops from almost 1 to around .85.

Maybe this is a bit of over analysis, but these numbers jive with my thought that the more that a team sees Dice-K's funky throwing motion, the better they hit him. I think a lot of factors lead to an over hitting here, these are just a few of my thoughts! I will also back Cleveland on a small bet, as I think Boston will be forced to the pen earlier than they want to.

Another stat I just cooked up...

Dice K's BB/IP
Pre All-Star - .32
Post All-Star - .49

Cleveland Major League Ranking -
Walks - 6th
OBP - 7th

No, because for some reason the BoSox have decided to not hit our worst pitcher...

Jesus Christ Ortiz had .600 in 15 at bats in the playoffs prior to this frame...talking about a monster playoff performance...

Back