MLB Monday bets

Satyr

Paster of Muppets
100 W-8 V-102 L -16.66 units

Still a horrid record, but went 2-0 last night (didn't post the Mets play as Pinny was down), Detroit cashed in.
Good riddance to the interleague, last year it was a money well for me, this year I threw it all back into the well.

Let's hope to get back on track shall we.

Red Sox (1.75 @ Pinnacle) 8 units

Some punters will be on Seattle talking about sharp plays and similar factors, I will be on the other side with thousands of others waiting for the Sox to feast off Jeff Weaver.
Ok he's coming off a shutout, but these are the Pirates. He has shown once again he is a national league pitcher, but struggles mightily when facing AL lineups.

And the Red Sox aren't just "any AL lineup" either. They will look forward to get back to an AL ballpark, after having to faced one of the toughest NL pitching rotations and at a pitchers' friendly park of all places.
It's ok, they still won the series.
Seattle, on the other hand, struggled a bit against Cincinnati, and this shows really how their game has deteriorated compared to a few weeks ago. Cincinnati have a lineup stacked by long ball hitters, but not much besides that.
Seattle still didn't have a stroll in the park against them, far from it, they were actually quite near to losing the series to the Reds.
Jeff Weaver is awful. This guy would be a solid pitcher playing in NL, as he has shown last year in Cards' rotation. Apart from that, he just doesn't have it (any more). He is 1-6, 8.56 ERA on the season and coming off two quality starts, if you can call his 6 IP, 10 H, 3 ER effort a "quality one". Before that he allowed 1 ER to the Padres (4 IP), and everything prior to that Weaver was getting torched in his every start.

One of those teams who completely torched him were the Red Sox, in just 2 innings of work they tagged him for 7 hits and 7 earned runs, that's an ERA of 31.50 right there.
Weaver is allowing .323 BAA at home, .357 v LHB and .378 v RHB overall.
The Red Sox are getting their top lineup back in play after the interleague.
Ortiz is back at DH, Lowell 3B, and Kevin Youkilis, who was rested the last two games, can reclaim his post at first base.
Julian Tavarez is only Boston's fifth starter but this guy has stepped up lately, and the way Seattle are hitting (quite erratic in the past few weeks, tend to show up one night and stay quiet for the next game), he could prolong his streak of quality starts. Tavarez is 4-0 with a 3.65 ERA in his last seven starts and is 2-0, 1.98 in 18 career relief appearances against the Mariners.

Blue Jays (Halladay) (1.73 @ Pinnacle) 7 units

Laying road chalk again, but I feel I'm getting a bargain here actually. You didn't see me on Doc much this season, but there's no doubt he's getting back to his old self and the Jays as a team are stepping up. After all, they've reached the .500 mark and are now looking to keep pounding the ball.
Ok they had some tough losses, like the one against the Dodgers when Casey Janssen allowed 6 ER in the 8th, recording zero outs.
But that's the name of the game really, you win some and you lose some.
In reality, the Jays have done more of the first one lately, winning 7 out of last 10 games, and 3 straight.
Minnesota, on the other side, aren't cold either, which makes me like this play even more, as I see another letdown for them here.
Halladay (8-2, 4.08 ERA) is back to domination mode, even though he does give up more hits compared to his usual all star quota, he is getting out of all possible jams and is very tough to score against at the moment.
The Twins missing Justin Morneau for some time surely won't help them overcome the Jays. To add to that, Halladay is 5-0 with a 2.20 ERA in nine career outings against the Twins, who will give the ball to Kevin Slowey (2-0, 4.43 ERA), who has emerged into one of the hottest young pitchers in the majors, but that still doesn't mean he won't have some bumps on the road.
A hot hitting Jays' squad might be one of them. Slowey has a .306 BAA this year.
The Jays haven't really had many winning periods in 2007., so getting some momentum now, coupled with McGowan's nearly a no hitter last night, will surely give them an additional spark to overcome the .500 mark.
On the other hand, I don't see the Twins that capable of getting to Halladay today, not when Toronto are this hot and when Doc is back to his domination mode.

Detroit - Texas (over 9.5) (1.96 @ Pinnacle) 6 units

Both teams in hitting mode right now, Detroit are arguably the hottest team in the majors with the best lineup, and the Rangers are 7-3 in last 10, and have put a ton of runs on the board in their last 5 games.
Kameron Loe might have improved since being sent down to the minors, but this is still Loe on the road against the hot hitting Tigers, and the Rangers can definitely get to Jeremy Bonderman whose 8-0 record is a bit misleading, especially considering how sub par he has been in his last couple of outings. He is more than hittable and Rangers will hit the ball regardless of where the play.
Detroit has the winning chemistry but after shutting out the Braves last night and allowing only 1 run in the series, I would expect more problems for them tonight.
Texas would be the lean if I had to choose sides, but how can you go against a team on a roll like this, they're playing with super high confidence and Texas isn't that good.

Royals (Thomson) (3.70 @ Pinnacle) 3 units

No I haven't lost my mind, betting against Halos' ace John Lackey (10-4, 2.96 ERA). This guy is a complete monster on the mound, but he's not 100% healthy tonight, actually has arm problems.
No one really knows to which extent will that affect his performance, but I'm not so sure he will be as unhittable as per usual. To add to that, Lackey is 1-2 with a 5.33 ERA in his last four starts at the Angel stadium.
Furthermore, the Angels are actually a rather strange team. Definitely one of the best in the majors (top 3 or 4 by all power rankings), a classic small ball, top class pitching, top notch defense, base running and clutch, timely hitting.
They don't have many long ball hitters in the lineup, Vlad and Garry Matthews Jr would be the two, with Kotchman joining them in the last month or two.
However, these guys can be so inept when they're not fired up enough, when they're having one of their bad days, it's unreal. Ok they're going against a pitcher, no one knows which form he is in really, he definitely isn't a stellar SP, but I'm counting on the Royals to spark him up and create an upset tonight. Huge odds, low stakes.

Leans:

I leaned the Nationals since I'm not buying the "Braves have to start hitting with Hudson on the mound" theory, and Bergmann is actually my favorite Nationals pitcher (gee, guess why, maybe because he is their best SP), but I can't back a pitcher just off the DL, and the Braves have now scored 1 run in last 5 games.

Can't lay any chalk with Tampa regardless of who they face. They should be able to beat the White Sox but the fact their season is "over" as far as contending goes, they should still win here and there, and I'm more keen on taking Tampa as a dog, at least when neither Shields or Kazmir are starting.

The Mets are blazing again and I would take them here but Sosa has been regressing lately and the Cards could step up here, a new pitcher in their rotation, etc...small lean Cards.

I do lean Cubs all day and that's a rare spot for me since I hate the Cubs, but they've been showing some heart lately and with Aramis back in the lineup they're winning again. I do think the Rockies will get back to Earth following a fantastic run they've been on, but I can't make myself go against Francis who is their best pitcher.

Also leaned the Dodgers but Owings has been solid and the D-Backs are actually the hotter team. On the other side, Penny has dominated the Snakes in his career, the Dodgers should win this one, but I see a tough battle, a 3-4 kind of game.

Good luck guys. :cheers:

yep, quite insane. I just don't think it reflects the game we'll be watching tonight. The Halos could still win, but the value is elsewhere I feel.

Good luck tonight. :cheers: :shake:

GL SATYR: Time to sweep the board, im with you on "DOC" Holliday.....But rooting for the Rockies since the Cubs are do for a letdown.

thanks guys.

DaBest, I really thought Weaver will get his ass handed to him :D, but excellent call on that one buddy. :shake:

:cheers:

Back