MLB Friday selections

Satyr

Paster of Muppets
Seattle (Washburn) (2.18) 10 units

Three words: Gimme, gimme, gimme.
That's all I can say here. I've been watching the Mariners closely in the past month or so, and they're seriously one of the best teams around. They way they're playing now, wouldn't it be great if both the Angels and the M's could see postseason? Honestly, since Tigers' downtrend and the (erratic) form of the Indians, I think both these teams are better than DET and CLE.

Ichiro doesn't hit home runs but boy oh boy...can anyone tell me one reason why Ichiro isn't a future HOF? This guy is not only hitting .350 as a leadoff hitter, has a .400 OBP, but he's also trying to produce more magic: Suzuki will try to record at least three hits for the fourth straight game as the Seattle Mariners open a three-game weekend series against the Chicago White Sox on Friday night.

Ee-chee-row has only hit .128 against the White Sox in his last nine games, but he is a .322 career average off them and is 4-for-15 (.267) off Vasquez.
Seattle isn't only Ichiro. Guys like Beltre (hitting .464 off Vasquez), Ibanez (went 7-for-14 with seven RBIs in M's last series in Baltimore), Vidro (6-for-12 with five RBIs in Baltimore), but also other guys like Betancourt, Johjima, they're all stepping up and are hitting the ball (31 runs and 49 hits in a sweep against the Orioles).
One word: nasty.
Not to mention they'll send out Jarrod Washburn (8-8, 4.18 ERA) who is 5-2 with a 3.03 ERA in his last 10 starts against the White Sox, including a win on May 1. He gave up two runs over seven innings in a 5-2 victory.
Washburh is 4-2, 3.22 ERA on the road this year.
He has been a bit shaky since the All Star break though (0-2, 5.83 ERA) but I'm looking for him to bounce back here.

Why am I so confident about him having a solid game and Seattle tagging CWS for a lot of runs? Besides Bobby Jenks, CWS bullpen is nothing special. Seattle however, has a great pen.

The White Sox are playing for their pride, probably reaching .500 by the end of the season would be marked as a solid accomplishment, since they're in the middle of a quite lackluster year, they're not producing much, not much chemistry there, I've seen them play several times this month and I don't see that winning spark they used to have. They can still take big scalps every once in a while (like we've seen against the Indians when they beat CC Sabathia and Indians' pen when Uribe launched a walkoff homer in extra innings), but not much besides that.
On the other hand, Seattle are winning consistently and are dedicated to fully involve in the WC race (or even tamper with division title plans the Angels have).
Here's another thought:
Chicago fell to 9-20 against left-handed starters and will face another Friday in Seattle's Jarrod Washburn (8-8, 4.18 ERA).
They managed to beat CC and the Indians, I don't think they'll do the same here, the M's are in their own league right now, when hitting the ball and putting men on base are concerned. They had a 4-0 lead last night, only to see it fall apart in one inning as Tejada tagged Horacio Ramirez to overturn the game and give Baltimore the lead.
Nevermind, they recaptured it in the next inning.

I know what Vasquez can do as well. He has been 6-1, 2.70 ERA in his last 9 starts and is at home, and he's been the real deal, he has to be credited for posting those numbers against the likes of Detroit (twice), Boston, Baltimore, Minnesota...
Not exactly bottom feeders, you'd agree.
But I really love the spot for Seattle here, despite the fact they scored 13 runs last night, they're in the middle of such a run that I doubt it they'll be stopping here.
The White Sox don't have nearly the same hunger and winning mix right now, I have to go with the better team, better bullpen, in an evenly matched pitching duel.

Other plays coming up soon. :cheers:

Looking at:
Atlanta (James)
CLE - NYY over 10

Will probably take one or perhaps both...

Writeups and picks coming up.

nice write up on seattle, i was leaning towards sox but will take your info and rethink this one thru!....only concern is seattle doesnt play well against chisox....4-14 last 18 in chitown!

I have to back the Braves at this price. The Phillies aren't in the best period right now, despite the fact they're back in contention, missing Victorino and Utley from the lineup is taking its toll. Atlanta on the other hand have a very potent lineup with several hitters who own left handed pitchers. Cole Hamels is Philly's ace but Chuck James is far from a gas can, his YTD ERA is only a bit higher than Hamels' one. Hamels has 4.62 ERA against Atlanta and I don't think the Phillies are that better than the Braves at the moment, despite playing at home. Have to take the Braves here.

Atlanta (James) (2.32) 5 units

All three games between these teams have gone over so far, and one of them featured Carmona. Fausto has been great this year, but he's still prone to giving runs against lineups such as the Yankees have, the Yanks will have to step up offensively tonight in order to win since they're giving the ball to Hughes, who has been far from sharp lately. Both teams should exceed the 5 run mark.

Indians - Yankees over 10 (2.01) 5 units

That's probably it for me for tonight boys and girls. GL :tiphat:

BOL today Satyr - seems like a tough call in the sea/chw game, but you support your bet well. atl has some nice value but i dont know how how i quite feel about the over in nyy/cle.

Thanks ReNew, good luck tonight man. :shake:

Well I obviously love Seattle tonight...Atlanta should at least have a chance to win, and if they tag Hamels before 7th inning we could see Alfonseca, I would like that :D.

And the over, well...perhaps I'm not the best guy for totals, follow Hile rather than me, and this one is as square as it gets, two potent lineups, one pitcher quite poor, the other should meet his match in Yankee bats...
We'll see. ;)

GL-- personally have a hard time going against Vaz. at home, but I hope you hit it.

DSM :cheers:

TW well I know what he can do and he definitely is the real deal but as I said, I love the spot too much to pass here...

GL :cheers: :shake:

GL Satyr - I had the M's on my list today and didn't pull the trigger. Hope the come through for you.

Back