MLB Division Series

Yanks27Sox9

CTG Partner
Haven't really been around much during baseball season again. Involved in too many other things to cap daily cards properly, so I just do things here & there on the down low.
Doesn't mean I don't closely follow along though, as (along with my kids, etc) baseball is one of the true loves of my life. (As evidenced by how closely I follow the minor leagues on a daily basis, which many of you here know about thru various other outlets.)

Anyhow, as with hockey, it becomes much easier for me to post and kinda remain involved during the playoffs...so here we go. First day of the divisional rounds...

10/3
STL -1RL (+100) for 3/4s
ATL +1RL (-111) for 3/4s

Yeah, i'm risking a push on both games...but so be it...not the worst thing that can happen, lol. Seriously though, we all find 'value' in different places...and for today, this is mine.

Big SP advantage for the Cards here. And I know most don't value this as I do, but a huge disparity in run differential (+130) between these teams over the course of the season. The Bucs come in with a bit of momentum, created by the Cincy game/win...not to mention a beautiful season for them...but I just feel that they're outclassed in the series, including game one.

Now, despite the run differential advantage the Bravos hold over the Doyers (+70), I think I actually like the Dodgers for the series. And you know I absolutely love Kershaw. (I work every week with my 12 yr old, trying to mimic his simple mechanics, fwiw.) So why Atlanta here? Being here in LA, my reason is simple...I do not like or agree with the way the Doyers went about things down the stretch. They lost all that momentum that was building over the summer, and seem to be entering the playoffs almost lethargic. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the impression I have. But like I said, Clayton's on the bump...so the +1 run line was to give me just a little more cushion in case it's necessary. Regardless, I honestly believe this series goes to the wire...coin flip.

one more thing...

i obviously don't have a dog in the fight this year. so just wanted to say that i do not like this new format, with the 1 game wild card play-in game.
that said, i don't know how to fix it to make things better...short of going back to how it was since they instituted the first wild card.

all i know was that i felt bad for cincy and cleveland being one and done, both after very solid seasons. seems like there should be more to it all...like at least a 3 game series. baseball, basketball, hockey...it's not like football where 1 game, winner takes all, works...at least imo.

the problem is that the best teams are penalized. the more they wait around, the worse off they are. and even this week seems too long. stl, atl, lad...all 3 days off...oak, bos, det...all 4 days off. too much time for bases...which prolly gives both pit and tb an advantage, because so much is timing/repetition related.

anyhow, just 2 cents. don't like the new format, but don't know how to fix it.

one more thing...

i obviously don't have a dog in the fight this year. so just wanted to say that i do not like this new format, with the 1 game wild card play-in game.
that said, i don't know how to fix it to make things better...short of going back to how it was since they instituted the first wild card.

all i know was that i felt bad for cincy and cleveland being one and done, both after very solid seasons. seems like there should be more to it all...like at least a 3 game series. baseball, basketball, hockey...it's not like football where 1 game, winner takes all, works...at least imo.

the problem is that the best teams are penalized. the more they wait around, the worse off they are. and even this week seems too long. stl, atl, lad...all 3 days off...oak, bos, det...all 4 days off. too much time for bases...which prolly gives both pit and tb an advantage, because so much is timing/repetition related.

Agree about the format. Have to have a 3 game series imo to make it work (or make it better). Not sure that will happen since the season is so long already, but a 3 game series would be a much more fair gauge of who the better team is at that point.

one more thing...

Agree,its laughable when you think about

162 game season then one game,really?

Do away with a week of ST if needed....I mean mostly meaningless ST games,then 1 game with the season on the line,cmon

GL tonight yanks

drop the regular season back to 154 games and make the first WC round a best of 3. More money in the playoffs for all involved and I can't see anyone complaining about dropping 8 regular season games from the schedule.

Agree about the format. Have to have a 3 game series imo to make it work (or make it better). Not sure that will happen since the season is so long already, but a 3 game series would be a much more fair gauge of who the better team is at that point.

Agree,its laughable when you think about

162 game season then one game,really?

Do away with a week of ST if needed....I mean mostly meaningless ST games,then 1 game with the season on the line,cmon

GL tonight yanks

drop the regular season back to 154 games and make the first WC round a best of 3. More money in the playoffs for all involved and I can't see anyone complaining about dropping 8 regular season games from the schedule.

totally agree with this side of the issue. but why it's not an easy fix is the other side of the issue. how long do we make the best teams (the division winners) sit around and wait to play their series?

if MLB made them start on Monday, and play 3 straight days, i guess it would be no different than how long the division winners are waiting around right now...assuming there are no ties, like TB/TX, or no rain outs.
and you know, now that i type that, it's not so bad. the wild card team shouldn't have a day off. they should be at every disadvantage, not winning their division. so maybe they could squeeze in an immediate 3-game wild card playoff, and still start the divisionals on thurs/friday.

well, 1-1 the first day. medlen shit the bed...and at least for a game, same old atlanta.

gotta hand it to clayton though. marvelous performance tonight. and that's the doyers main advantage in the series, the SPs. oh well...moving on.

(10/3 = 1-1, -0.0825)

Last edited:
day 2

10/4
PIT ML (+125) for 1/2
LAD ML (+101) for 3/4s
TB ML (+126) for 3/4s
DET TT ov3.5 (-110) for 3/4s

Taking a shot on the Bucs to even this series, but at a small amount. STL hasn't seen Cole, who had a brilliant September. Lynn's righted the ship though after a tough late summer. Hope GC keeps the ball down.

Speaking of hot down the stretch...Greinke's been brilliant all July/August/September. Minor's pretty solid too, so under is in play if I add anything. But LAD go up 2-0, then go home and allow ATL back into this thing.

Hope the layoff hurt the BoSux a bit. Two big lefties going at it, and it should be a good one. But it's TB or nothing for me. Can't wager on those ugly mother fuckers from beantown. Just wouldn't be right, lol.

Lastly, not sure yet about the Tigers/A's game. Honestly, my gut is leaning over...but my mind is saying Mad Max over the fat ass performance enhancer.

Last edited:
edited the post above to include the Tigers team total, so that's it for today.

DET TT ov3.5 (-110) for 3/4s

Enjoy the FULL day of playoff bases, with a little college football sprinkled in tonight.
(need to make a run for the store to make sure i've got enough beverages in the house.)

:cheers:

well, that sucked. bucs get things off on the right foot...then the rays go all bill buckner & shit...and detroit was just Yag as can be after the 1st...flamingly so.

10/3 = 1-1, -0.0825
10/4 = 1-3, -1.70

no line yet on the Retard/A's game two, so prolly won't play it. football day manana, and that takes priority over all else. (but would be leaning to the home team, and sonny gray. at nice plus odds over upton's ex.)

as for the other game, going back to the well with price on the bump. lackey's a douche. but gotdamned, the rays need to grow a set. if you're gonna get all freaked out, and go down ugly, please fucking throw at somebody. don't care what team's involved...fucking knock someone off their feet if they're too comfortable, and compete.

anyhow...

10/5
TB ML (-114) for 3/4s
OAK ML (+116) for 1/2

btw, the dodger loss i'm ok with. the bravos just outpitched/outplayed them, and won a good baseball game.

Last edited:
another 1-1 day, dropping some pocket change. tampa's ready to roll over & play dead. and considering how the Tigs n A's are swinging the bats, it'll be up to the NL representative to keep my user name intact lol. anyhow, hopefully verlander and gray restored some playoff order, because for manana...

10/6
ATL/LAD under 6.5 (-110) for 1/2
STL/PIT under 6.5 (+113) for 1/2

small, action plays for these swing games. all SPs included here should do well, providing teheran shows up. and torre's supposedly got his 'best' umps behind the dish for the swing games. so we'll see. (sitting at a lovely 3-5, -2.0575 thru the 1st three days, dammit.)

well, that was Yag. totals are outta whack, but shouldn't have went against what's going on. still, that said, it should've been 1-1 minus some juice. but, let again, the umpire blows the call on a SB (just safe this time, instead of out), and the whole inning/game changes as a result...thus it's 0-2 on the unders, smh. 3-7 this round, -3.1075. maybe like the umps, i'll just start throwing darts...cuz the (random) human element can't be this bad, lol.

10/3
DET -1 RL (-107) for 3/4s
STL ML (-117) for 3/4s
BOS ML (-103) for 3/4s

LAD -1 RL (-108) for 3/4s

gotta wait until the morning to play the -1 run lines, but that's what i'll be on manana.

Tigers gonna actually hit the ball a bit, and take a 2-1 series lead. The Cards are gonna tie up their series. If they can't beat Charlie Morton, lol, then their season was a waste. Threw up in my mouth, but put a bullet in the Rays. And the Doyers move on as well. Freddy Garcia, lol...really?

yeah, the crafty vets may do better than i expect. but imo, experience tends to get overrated...when it's a choice between that, and a big upside kid with a live arm...so long as he's got his head on straight. but after misusing Alex Wood tonight, the Bravos don't really have a choice. (in other words, imo, they should've followed Oakland's lead...by how they used Gray....or how Pittsburgh used Cole. take your chances by going with the best stuff.)

Last edited:
Hope your right about El Tigres...they tend to shut them bats off at playoff time. My best baseball move all year was playing that TT at 3 the other night at Dimes. I even told my buddy I was watching game with that they might not score again after first. Proved right.

Be at game 4, so lets get this later today...

Be at game 4, so lets get this later today...

jinx? j/k ;)
should be a good time. have a lot of friends/family here reacquainting themselves with Dodger playoff baseball yesterday/today.

added those two -1 runlines...
DET -1 RL (-107) for 3/4s
LAD -1 RL (-108) for 3/4s

1-2-1 the other day. think i'll keep being a d-bag, bc-style, and continue betting on boston. can not lose that way, lol. j/k, buddy.

anyways, win or lose the pocket change, that cards/bucs game is what i get off on. that's baseball...that's how you build a team...and that's why i follow the minors and all these prospects on a daily basis.
this relates to the cards because of yesterday...but, in general, it also applies to the bucs, who have future pitching studs of their own on the way (like a tyler glasnow, with insane swing & miss stuff). cole and miller, for each team respectively, have already arrived!

anyhow, wacha/martinez/rosenthal. a prospect junkie's wet dream in a playoff game.
wacha was a 2012 1st rd pick. and if i remember right, his was the pick that they got from the halos for the pujols signing. classsic. martinez was an international signee at 16 yrs old...but then again he wasn't, lol...because he used the name carlos matias, and turned out to be a bit older. anyways, that's a story in and of itself. then there's rosenthal, a steal in the 21st rd of the '09 june draft outta some community college...who wasn't even on the prospect radar until about 2 years ago. but a 22 yr old starter, with incredibly pitchability...a 22 yr old possible starter, possible reliever, with an electric arm...and a 23 yr old reliever (@ least for now) with lights out stuff. to me, that's as cool as it gets.

for shits & giggles...

10/8
BOS ML (-115) for 1/2
OAK ML (+136) for 1/2
OAK/DET ov7.5 (-115) for 1/2

like the bosux/rays over too, fwiw. don't care about hellickson's #s vs the bosux this year. if you don't get too excited and chase (like the cards did with morton yesterday), than he's so very hittable. just gotta stay w/in yourself, don't jump outta your shoes going after the tantalizing pitches just off the plate, and have a plan that you stick too. these POS SPs (morton, garcia, etc) are allowed to get by on smoke & mirrors too often.

2-1 day for ya big guy...did it feel blasphemous betting the bosux? :)

Back