MLB Division Series Overview

Wiretowire

Pretty much a regular
YTD +2334
Push last

Thanks cash. GL

Thanks Inzane. GL

Let's make this simple. The winners of these series are NYY, Atlanta, Houston, and LA. But I will take a closer look just for the hell of it.

Phil/Atlanta

My guess is Phillies go with Falter, Suarez, Wheeler, and Nola. All are decent but they all hold 3+ era's except for Wheeler. I was surprised they took St Louis out because on paper the Cards were better. Bone headed coaching evened that out in a hurry. Philly averages 4.6 runs per game allowing opponents 4.2. Bullpen 4.2 era. Atlanta will probably go with Fried, Wright, Strider, and most likely Morton or Odorizzi because of their experience. Staff era's are similar to Philly. Braves have been resting with a bye. They score 4.8 runs per game allowing 3.7 to opponents. Bullpen 3.0 era and that could make all the difference.

No surprise, I think Atlanta wins this series. They are also the most dangerous team to go all the way because to me it seems the best "team" gets the ring. Remember they lost one of the top 3 hitters in all of baseball when Freeman went to the Dodgers and they are still racking up the wins. That should not have happened, and they had to come together as a team to pull that off.

Seattle/Houston

Gilbert, Kirby, Flexen, Castillo, and Ray will be the most likely to go for the Mariners. High 3+ era's which isn't good. 4.2 runs per game and allow 3.8 which is decent. Bullpen era is 3.3 which is why they are here. Atros go with Verlander, Garcia, Valdez, Urquidy, and McCullars. They are just fucking great. Staff era is actually 2+ which is unheard of in this day. they score 4.5 and allow 3.2. Bullpen era is 2.7 which is also unheard of. I truly by the stats can't see any way Houston loses but stats don't play the games and although I have to predict Houston to win by the numbers as I have said before Seattle can get hot and beat anyone.

Cleveland/Yankees

Cle will throw Quantrill, McKenzie, Bieber, and Civale, Era's average to 3 or so. Tribe score 4.2 and allows 3.8. Bullpen has been a quiet strength at 2.9 era. Biggest weakness for them is if Civale or anyone else throws besides their top 3. Yanks will throw Cole, Taillon, Severino, Cortes, and either German or Montas. Very solid all the way through with a middle 3 era across the board. They score 4.9 and allow 3.5. Bullpen era a surprising 2.9. For you underdog hunters Cle starting 3 are probably better than Yanks starting 3 overall but Cle has to score more than 2 runs a game like they did against the Rays if they expect to beat NY. I don't see it in this series. Yanks move on.

SD/LA

Clevinger, Musgrove, Darvish, Snell, and god help the Pads if they have to throw Manea against this team. Era of 3+ average. They score 3.8 and allow 3.5. Bullpen a very bad 3.8 era. That's bad because it doesn't count inherited runners who are charged to other pitchers. This bullpen allowed around 4 runs on their own when they came in all season which is runners they put on base and then allowed to score. LA throws Kershaw, Anderson, Gonsolin, and Urias. Each one of those pitchers has a season era of 2+. They score 5.2 and only allow 3.1 runs per game. Bullpen a ridiculous 2.8 era. it's no secret that LA is the best team in MLB today. And anyone can be beaten in a given series but their lineup has no holes even when they sub a player. All can and do hit and for a low scoring team like SD that should mean the end.

GL

I think atl has to win game 1 or they in real trouble. They lose with fried and next thing ya know they have Wright vs wheeler and Nola facing either Morton or strider who we don’t know if healthy.

Pads shouldn’t be a low scoring team and they certainly didn’t look like one in round 1. I think you throw out their season numbers and look how talented that lineup is. When they made the trade for soto and bell and drury! yes I thought they would have tatis but even without him that looked like the kind of lineup to me that could actually stack up with the dodgers! That obviously didn’t come to fruition during the season as pads offense was pretty disappointing after the trade, I don’t think that matters now tho, cause they looked like the team I thought they would be against very good Mets pitchers!! This lineup is deep with a mix of guys who take great ab’s and guys that can mash, a few do both! I think it be a huge mistake to underestimate them, I think they take lad to the brink and could very well beat them! -210 on lad is nuts imo.

Yanks are kinda in same boat as Braves, they dang sure better win game 1 with Cole cause after than tribe rotation flips back to Biebs and McKenzie against a few yanks starters that don’t scare anyone, this gonna be low scoring close games and if yanks lose game 1 I think they in trouble! That said I don’t think yanks are as vulnerable game 1 as I think Braves may be. They better win it tho!

Unfortunately for seattle Stros are the one team who can match their stable of talented starters and have a pen that might not be quite as electric as Seattle’s but is one the best around. Stros experience and owning of seattle matters here imo way more than lad who has basically same thing going for them against pads, the difference is I trust stros in postseason while I’ve never trusted lad who have only won it all the covid year on neutral fields that will never count in my book! In fairness to lad they would have prob won the year stros were stealing their signs had that been on the up and up, fact still remains imo lad has been a lot more playoff chokers than playoff success story during this run! Seattle been my favorite team not named cardinals all year but just think the matchup here sucks for them, unfortunate my favorite WC team just happened to run into the 1 team I’ve been adamant all year I think going to the WS.

Always respect your opinion just don’t quite see all these the same as you here, although the end result may be similar I don’t believe for a minute all 4 favs are advancing, the format so interesting with the way we won’t be getting the typical ace vs ace matchups, it only 5 game series, and the WC teams are all very capable and coming in having won a series while the favs been sitting around for a week! Could lead to some odd results!

I assume phillles going Suarez (well we know that) but then I think they reset and go wheeler gm2, Nola gm 3. Maybe they change it up depending on results but I’m assuming this what they will do and why I think it is imperative the Braves win game 1 with Fried. Phillies could also save wheeler/Nola for gm 3-4 I suppose. Any way you slice it if Strider isn’t 100% Phillies gonna have a significant starter edge in 2 games this series (same reason I bet them to beat my cards 2-0, along w the boneheaded cards managing, that was expected since I watched it all year!).

I appreciate the reply Bank. We never have to agree but I do like the responses and definitely other opinions. I will agree with everything you point out except one thing. The Mets left about a billion runners on base. 20 in game two alone. LA won't do that so SD better bring their hitting shoes, or they will be out quick. I do agree the favorites won't all win. There is an outside chance for Seattle or Cle. You make good points, but I just can't see anything but an Atlanta - LA matchup for the NL pennant and the winner wins the World. I don't give Philly or SD much chance to advance but payouts will be great if they do so if you take a chance on them, I will root for you. GL

I appreciate the reply Bank. We never have to agree but I do like the responses and definitely other opinions. I will agree with everything you point out except one thing. The Mets left about a billion runners on base. 20 in game two alone. LA won't do that so SD better bring their hitting shoes, or they will be out quick. I do agree the favorites won't all win. There is an outside chance for Seattle or Cle. You make good points, but I just can't see anything but an Atlanta - LA matchup for the NL pennant and the winner wins the World. I don't give Philly or SD much chance to advance but payouts will be great if they do so if you take a chance on them, I will root for you. GL

Oh yea I’m not taking much away from the overall series of pads beating muts, muts sealed their fate falling apart and getting swept by cubs to hand division away. The only thing that was relevant for me to take away was pads at bats vs very good Mets pitchers, that what makes me like their chances far more than the team I watched struggle to score runs all year while getting whipped by lad. I didn’t understand it and obviously I think the talent in that pads lineup far greater than the results were, the at bats they took 1-9 that series the important thing to me. My concern for them is clevenger/snell/pen. I don’t trust any of that! agree pads gonna have to score some runs but I think they can (might be a few over plays for me this series which very rare! Lol). I do think they can absolutely win Yu start ans possibly musgrove which why I like the series to go 5 games bet more than betting either at start of series.

Far as Phillies go I’m not sure they can hit. Quintana dominated them, if cards dumb asses didn’t pull him early they most likely win game 1! If Quintana shuts you down I suspect Fried will totally dominate you!! Where I give Phillies a chance is I believe wheelwr and Nola can beat anyone.

Oh yea I’m not taking much away from the overall series of pads beating muts, muts sealed their fate falling apart and getting swept by cubs to hand division away. The only thing that was relevant for me to take away was pads at bats vs very good Mets pitchers, that what makes me like their chances far more than the team I watched struggle to score runs all year while getting whipped by lad. I didn’t understand it and obviously I think the talent in that pads lineup far greater than the results were, the at bats they took 1-9 that series the important thing to me. My concern for them is clevenger/snell/pen. I don’t trust any of that! agree pads gonna have to score some runs but I think they can (might be a few over plays for me this series which very rare! Lol). I do think they can absolutely win Yu start ans possibly musgrove which why I like the series to go 5 games bet more than betting either at start of series.
You don't trust Snell after a poor outing? I think I trust him the most after that one. Doesn't mean they'll win that game but for him to go b2b with poor starts after his last month plus would really surprise me.

You don't trust Snell after a poor outing? I think I trust him the most after that one. Doesn't mean they'll win that game but for him to go b2b with poor starts after his last month plus would really surprise me.

I didn’t trust Snell before the poor outing if you recall! Lol

As we talked bout before his start he had been more efficient of late but Snell always scares me cause his MO has never been efficiency. Get into pressure games and I think more times than not your true colors shine thru more often. Lad the kind of lineup that will really work a pitcher who struggles with efficiency. Wanna say they lit him up during his good stretch, just don’t think it a good matchup for him.

Reactions: KJ
How these favs bats look after sitting a week gonna be the most interesting and imo the toughest thing to cap

I think if I was the teams w bye I would bring up some Mexican team to play me 1-2 games while the WC going on! Can’t get same intensity but still think it would help getting some live game AB’s, and against a pitcher they probably hit to get them feeling good about themselves! That thinking outside the box! Lol

Back