MLB Approves Changes to Strike Zone & Intentional Walks

nbafan88

Pretty much a regular
This is wild

eliminating the 4 pitch intentional walk is STUPID. Just to speed the game up? Completely bogus. Pitchers, especially relief pitchers, can lose the strike zone after throwing 4 balls.

This is wild

eliminating the 4 pitch intentional walk is STUPID. Just to speed the game up? Completely bogus. Pitchers, especially relief pitchers, can lose the strike zone after throwing 4 balls.

They're really just playing catch when walking a guy intentionally, so nothing technical should really carry over to the next batter when he's fully exerting and throwing normal pitches. Maybe it can be argued that the walk could get in their heads after watching 4 straight balls, but again they aren't trying to throw strikes and missing so it's doubtful it gets in too many guys' heads.

There are a bunch of other things they can do though to speed the game up, so I'd agree it seems a bit silly to focus on the IBB. There's always the oft chance that a guy throws a WP when trying to intentionally walk a guy as well, but I can't remember the last time I've seen that happen. I'd be surprised to learn it happens more than once every few years or so...even if it happened once a year it wouldn't be worth using as a reason to not get rid of the IBB...but the intentional walk should be well down the list of things to eliminate to speed up the game.

Disrupting rhythm is a big deal imo, the intentional walk shouldn't be fucked with

It's not getting into the head, it's the flow of the game

They're really just playing catch when walking a guy intentionally, so nothing technical should really carry over to the next batter when he's fully exerting and throwing normal pitches. Maybe it can be argued that the walk could get in their heads after watching 4 straight balls, but again they aren't trying to throw strikes and missing so it's doubtful it gets in too many guys' heads.

There are a bunch of other things they can do though to speed the game up, so I'd agree it seems a bit silly to focus on the IBB. There's always the oft chance that a guy throws a WP when trying to intentionally walk a guy as well, but I can't remember the last time I've seen that happen. I'd be surprised to learn it happens more than once every few years or so...even if it happened once a year it wouldn't be worth using as a reason to not get rid of the IBB...but the intentional walk should be well down the list of things to eliminate to speed up the game.

Should have read further before commenting.

i just saw two days ago how an intentional walk messed up the relief pitcher.... it gives an advantage to the pitching team... really makes no sense.

and hopefully nobody compares that to the XP changes in the NFL...

for a league that was so resistant to change, this just seems a bit ridiculous

Why not expand the strike zone to what it is supposed to be and make the batters swing the bat .. that is what will speed up the game. Right now they just sit on the middle of the plate cause everything else is a ball

Also have seen batter reach out and get hit on pitches the pitcher dont get outside far enough.

Here Miggy does it for go ahead rbi in 10th

[video=youtube_share;a6YzVvtxoaY]https://youtu.be/a6YzVvtxoaY[/video]

i just saw two days ago how an intentional walk messed up the relief pitcher.... it gives an advantage to the pitching team... really makes no sense.

and hopefully nobody compares that to the XP changes in the NFL...

for a league that was so resistant to change, this just seems a bit ridiculous

You don't know the IBB messed him up though, it's just an assumption. I agree about the rule seeming a bit ridiculous, they should be focusing on other issues.

You don't know the IBB messed him up though, it's just an assumption. I agree about the rule seeming a bit ridiculous, they should be focusing on other issues.

That's not our job though. Giving it up without pitching seems so beer league softball.

Why not expand the strike zone to what it is supposed to be and make the batters swing the bat .. that is what will speed up the game. Right now they just sit on the middle of the plate cause everything else is a ball

Yep. And they actually made the zone smaller instead of expanding it to what it should be. They're contention is that it will lead to more balls in play because pitchers will be forced to throw it in the zone more...but they're still going to nibble, and if anything it'll entice even more of what you mentioned, sitting on the middle of the plate and now the middle of the zone as well.

Yep. And they actually made the zone smaller instead of expanding it to what it should be. They're contention is that it will lead to more balls in play because pitchers will be forced to throw it in the zone more...but they're still going to nibble, and if anything it'll entice even more of what you mentioned, sitting on the middle of the plate and now the middle of the zone as well.

Chicago Cubs manager Joe Maddon said he's in favor of anything that gets his team more walks but that he isn't sure the proposed change to the strike zone would help put more balls in play.

"Guys might take more pitches, and you're still going to get a walk," he said. "It might benefit a team like us if they call it that way because the biggest thing about us would be an umpire that doesn't expand our strike zone. That's what we'd love to have.

"If you're going to shorten the strike zone, it can be counterproductive. If a guy is pitching down below that and we're just taking them, you're going to get less action. It's one of those things that you have to put it in play to answer the question."

few more anomalies

few more anomalies

Good stuff. So it happens maybe once every couple/few years or so. Like I said initially, even if it happened once a year I wouldn't think that would be a reason to implement the change, but that's just my opinion and I can certainly understand the other side of the discussion and the "it does happen," and even if it only impacted one game a year, it's worth keeping it how it is. Again, I don't like the change either...it just seems like misplaced focus for speeding up the game.

As far as it getting in pitchers' heads because they threw 4 balls in a row, even though they weren't trying to throw strikes so it won't weigh on their mental state, is just not something that seems to exist and there's no way to really even quantify that outside of assumption.

And let's not forget about pitch counts.....

this is a pretty big deal for gambling purposes IMO.

Ok. I guess I will have to actually watch spring training ball to see how it plays out. If you want a competitive advantage over opponents push your walls back and have fresher pitching all year.

How are the dbacks, rockies and reds pitchers supposed to survive in a league where there are no called strikes?

They should not eliminate the actual pitches on an intentional walk. Weirdness is probably rarer than a missed XP, but it still happens. I've seen wild pitches or the ball just get away, and I've seen guys steal a base on them too. It's a perfect time to steal home plate if the battery is lazy. There are a million other ways to speed up the game, and who's complaining anyway. I've always considered the no clock thing part of the charm of the game.

They've already slowed the game down enough. Trying to get more people to watch games.... People don't watch baseball because they feel it's boring. Shortening games isn't gonna solve anything.

Back