ML Dogs Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Week 9 Upset Alert!

Cash in with this quadruple pack of ML dogs on Saturday's card.

Wake Forest (4-3) hosts Louisville (5-3) this Saturday at 12:20 PM ET. The Cardinals are favored by a field goal.

The key for Wake Forest's defense will be to control the line of scrimmage, achieve penetration, and stop Louisville's Heisman candidate Lamar Jackson from escaping the backfield.

The Demon Deacons rank 41st in allowing 4.1 yards per attempt. This number is inflated because of their poor second half last week. In the first half, they held the top-ranked Yellow Jackets' spread offense to 3.9 yards per carry on 34 carries.

Wake Forest's first-half performance against the Jackets' rush attack reveals their potential against a Jackson-led Louisville squad that, as a whole, averages 34 attempts per carry. Louisville's rush attack is not equipped to wear down, as Georgia Tech did, a Wake Forest defense that leads the NCAA with 9 tackles for loss per game.

Louisville's defense, before facing Florida State's anemic offense, had given up 35+ points in each of their four games before against ACC opponents.

Wake's pass attack can exploit a Louisville pass defense that ranks 93rd in opposing quarterback rating. Quarterback John Wolford is improving his accuracy and decision-making: last season, his touchdown: interception ratio was 9:10. This season, it is 10:2. His top target is freshman Greg Dortch, who has made an immediate impact, combining for 18 receptions and 235 yards against the top-50 pass defenses of Florida State and Georgia Tech.

Also note that Louisville is on an 0-8 ATS run on field turf while Wake is 6-0-1 ATS after a loss.

NCAAF Pick: Wake Forest +3

Colorado (4-4) hosts California (4-4) this Saturday at 2:00 PM ET. The Buffaloes are favored by just over a field goal.

The key for California is the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

The Golden Bears are 4-0 ATS this season when rushing for 100+ yards. The Buffaloes, who are 0-4 ATS against the Pac-12 when allowing 100+ rushing yards, rank 117th in allowing 5.4 yards per carry. They have an undersized defense and a soft defensive line, whose big defensive tackle, Javier Edwards, is listed as 'questionable' for the game Saturday. Even with him, they have trouble maintaining gap security in their two-gap scheme.

The Buffaloes have been especially vulnerable against Pac-12 competition. In their last 3 games, the Buffaloes are allowing 7.4 yards per carry. 2 weeks ago, the Buffaloes allowed 6.1 yards per carry against Oregon State, who averages 4.5 yards per carry on the season. Last week, the Buffaloes allowed Washington State to rush for 5.5 yards per carry, despite averaging 2.9 on the season.

California is a pass-first team that will rely on quarterback Ross Bowers to open up the running game. In order to pass against Colorado, it is crucial to have depth at wide receiver. Colorado's Isaiah Oliver has the talent of a lockdown corner, but there is vast drop-off in terms of ability behind him at cornerback. California's duo at wide receiver, Vic Wharton and Kanawai Noa average 14-15+ yards per reception and have caught for 550 yards.

The Buffaloes' offensive line has been called out for being soft, but they lack the talent to respond. They rank 108th in terms of sack percentage allowed and present an even match-up for California’s defensive line. Especially when quarterback Steve Montez faces pressure, he will display his vulnerability to throwing interceptions against a secondary that ranks 7th in % of opponents’ interceptions thrown.

Colorado’s defense is in disarray, allowing 28 points to an extremely sloppy Washington State offense. The week before, Oregon State scored a season-high (vs FBS teams) 33 points. Colorado is missing so many players on both sides of the ball due to offseason departures and disciplinary issues. Their confidence in Montez is so severely lacking that he was replaced against the Cougars last week with a freshman quarterback. Colorado also faces the additional challenge of distraction: they have lost 8 out of their last 9 homecoming games.

NCAAF Pick: California +4

No. 9 Notre Dame (6-1) hosts No. 14 NC State (6-1) this Saturday at 3:30 PM. The Irish are favored by 7-7.5 points.

Notre Dame has been receiving positive publicity for the performance of its physical rush attack against USC. Against Notre Dame, USC was missing its three best defensive tackles. Brandon Fili, the fourth defensive tackle, was going to be redshirted, but had to play due to injury. Because the inexperienced freshman had no rotation, Notre Dame had no problem shredding the interior of the Trojans' defensive line.

NC State's defensive line, led by the combined 19 tackles for loss from Darian Roseboro and Bradley Chubb at defensive end and two massively strong defensive tackles, presents an obstacle that Notre Dame hasn't dealt with since their 20-19 defeat against Georgia. The Wolfpack's run defense ranks one spot behind Georgia, 14th, in allowing an average of 3.1 yards per carry. This obstacle is decisive because Notre Dame relies most on its rush attack. Notre Dame's one non-cover this season came against Georgia, where they ran for less than 100 yards. Quarterback Brandon Wimbush is an inconsistent quarterback who struggles with accuracy. His completion % on the season is 51.

Quarterback Ryan Finley leads the Wolfpack's offense with a 69% completion and 11:0 touchdown to interception ratio. Notre Dame ranks a respectable 34th in opposing quarterback rating but hasn't faced any obstacles at quarterback. They did face USC's hyped-up Sam Darnold, who has been a disappointment all season and, with his typical inclination for turning the ball over, helped Notre Dame more than hurt them. Forcing interceptions has been a prominent theme in Irish victories, but they will be difficult to achieve against Finley.

NCAAF Pick: NC State +7.5

Arizona (5-2) hosts No 15 Washington State (7-1) this Saturday at 9:30 PM ET. The Cougars are favored by a field goal.

Washington State's air-raid attack has fallen into disarray. Quarterback Luke Falk began the season with a 19:2 interception ratio before being intercepted 5 times by California in a 37-3 loss.

The Cougars beat Colorado, last week, 28-3, but his 50% completion is way more telling than the three touchdowns that he threw.

The Cougars' pass attack has been sloppy because of Falk. He is struggling to release the ball as quickly has he had been doing. Instead, he has grown more indecisive, processing opposing schemes more slowly, and displaying rust with his passing accuracy. His slowness is critical behind an offensive line that ranks outside the top 100 in pass protection.

With development in terms of talent, depth and with continuity under second-year defensive coordinator Marcel Yates, Arizona's pass defense has taken huge strides, dropping its opposing QB rating from 153 last season (ranked 121st) to 120.6 this season (ranked 45th). The secondary has benefited from increased pressure upon the opposing quarterback, as the Wildcats ranked 111th in sack percentage last season, but 62nd this season.

The Wildcats' defense is well-constructed against the air-raid attack. Against Pac-12 opponents, they are 3-0 ATS when passed on 30+ times and 0-1 ATS when passed on fewer than 30 times. Falk's difficulties will resume against an improving 4-2-5 defense that can also apply pressure without having to devote too much attention to combating the Cougars' disappointing offensive line.

Arizona has won 3 straight games as underdog since Khalil Tate became their quarterback. His dynamic rushing skills have taken his conference by surprise, while he also benefits from an Arizona offensive line that ranks 15th in sack percentage allowed. In 3 conference games, Tate has run for almost 700 yards and 7 touchdowns. The Cougars have not had much experience against mobile quarterbacks. The one that they faced, Boise State's Montell Cozart, earned a season-high 72 rush yards in a near major upset.

NCAAF Pick: Arizona +3

Last edited:
With the limited number of new threads at this forum now compared to the past probably more is better at this point?

Either way, no big deal I don't think.

I like how everyone contributes to the ML Dog thread, but see VC's point, these are his plays that he is preparing for. It isn't any different than somebody posting their ML dog thoughts in that weekly thread and then also posting them in their own threads.

Enough. Both of you. I haven't had a chance to ban a non-spammer in a long time. A separate thread is fine. Personal preference is I'd rather it all in Prov thread, but it's my preference.

Let things go or anything further than this and it won't turn out well.

Just realized it's the first time I've had to delete posts since the changeover, took me a minute to figure out how. I'm going to bed. Please don't make me have to delete anything in the morning.

yeah, Nebraska, that was a tough one for me. I may play them with the pts, but don't think I want to risk any extra on the ML They haven't thrown many picks lately, just one...which happened to be a pick six again. Nick Holt D vs an iffy Nebraska...think Purdue could turn them over. But I don't think you can ever really take or fade a team purely on the speculation if they will get turnovers because nobody really knows if or when those come. For all we know Lee throws 2 picks, but Purdue throws 2 and fumbles twice or something.

My hesitation was some of my prior feelings on Purdue, playing hard, buying in and this a home conference night game...the emtions are going to be high. Nebraska pretty average, but it is the name carries some weight, so Purdue will be super up for it. On the other hand, Nebraska should have a ton of fans there to negate some of the typical HFA a team in Purdue's spot would have.

Still feel Neb can win. I'll just probably take the shot on the pts though as some insurance.

Maybe Arizona would be better +3 vs Wash State. Heckuva battle Wazzou's run D vs Arizona's run O. Should be an even match-up and factor in how sloppy and poor Wazzou's offense has looked the past couple of weeks. Does that continue? Wazzou's O-line has been horrendously disappointing this year and Arizona should on the defensive side definitely have the advantage at the line in order to apply pressure to statue Falk

I'm failing to form an opinion on the WSt-Arz game. I am pretty damn excited to watch it though! Thankfully I have PAC 12 Network this year!

Was interested in BC because of FSU's offensive issues. Even though BC's run defense is relatively weak, FSU misses depth without Patrick. No wide receivers left, a crappy quarterback who won't be able to stand in the pocket. On the flip-side, FSU's superior secondary will give BC's Brown the VT treatment. Adequate rush defense as well. I don't see points being scored in this game. Locking in the under 47

Was interested in BC because of FSU's offensive issues. Even though BC's run defense is relatively weak, FSU misses depth without Patrick. No wide receivers left, a crappy quarterback who won't be able to stand in the pocket. On the flip-side, FSU's superior secondary will give BC's Brown the VT treatment. Adequate rush defense as well. I don't see points being scored in this game. Locking in the under 47
Although i agree wuth most of this, depth at RB shouldn't be as big if a factor as you think. Rasul will be filling in and we have another 5* that hasnt seen the field. Name escapes me, but his last name starts with an L (much like our season).Offensive line will continue to be an issue. I have a feeling Noonie goes off. Also, looking for the TE to be utilized with quick, shirt passes.

I really like BCs back. He has been a beast the past couple of weeks, but BCs run game plays into what we defend well and we have the depth at D line to remain relatively fresh.

I am on the Noles this week. Looking for 7-10 or victory, so health in that one. Urgency, urgency, urgency...

Thank you for that post,mr bbf. Was wanting FSU, and then when I didn’t play it at 3 I backed off. No BC lover here, and although Noles have been disappointing this season - they need this game and their better athleticism should make for a cover, comfortably I hope.
GL

Article up. Tried the usual three-in-one with a four-in-one despite length limitations. Hopefully I get the key point across with meaningful analysis and take-away numbers (stats/trends)

Last edited:
What does "Free NCAA Pick" mean?

I just read the Cal part, I'll catch up on the others later. I will have Cal for a small to medium play, am a little nervous about it. For me it is more of a play against Colorado as it is on Cal. Don't think it is a slam dunk Cal wins the game. Their WRs aren't that great and neither is their running game. Noa has been clutch for them, but otherwise they don't seem very special at WR, the running game isn't very explosive and Bowers can be iffy. But it isn't a bad O by any means, just kind of average for the league. I do like how their D has played and it isn't surprising given who their head coach is. They can give up some explosive plays and this will be their second game without their best player and leader LB Devatte Downs.

Colorado should be favored, doesn't mean I think they should win. Playing on the road for a team still learning how to win games they should win can be difficult. The game will kick at 11am PT. Week 1 Cal did fine at UNC in a game that kicked 10am PT, but also had the entire camp season to get ready for that game and time zone issue. Their last 4 games I believe have all been late night games. So this will take some adjustment. Granted, same adjustment for CU also (12 local) who has played late last several weeks as well. Will be interesting to see if one team comes out sharper than the other.

Colorado has either thrown in the towel or will rally around their desperation. Given they haven't play that great this year, I have a hard time seeing all of a sudden they throw the magic switch here. But Cal isn't that daunting of an opponent either.

I think the key will be limiting any big plays out of CU and Cal needs to figure out how to get some of their own. They can't expect to be 13 of 19 on 3rd down and nickle/dime their way down the field again this week.

Fuck sorry forgot to take that out. Bosses require me to write it like that idk why. I try to censor that stuff for ctg though forgive me i'm coming down an acid trip

What does "Free NCAA Pick" mean?

I just read the Cal part, I'll catch up on the others later. I will have Cal for a small to medium play, am a little nervous about it. For me it is more of a play against Colorado as it is on Cal. Don't think it is a slam dunk Cal wins the game. Their WRs aren't that great and neither is their running game. Noa has been clutch for them, but otherwise they don't seem very special at WR, the running game isn't very explosive and Bowers can be iffy. But it isn't a bad O by any means, just kind of average for the league. I do like how their D has played and it isn't surprising given who their head coach is. They can give up some explosive plays and this will be their second game without their best player and leader LB Devatte Downs.

Colorado should be favored, doesn't mean I think they should win. Playing on the road for a team still learning how to win games they should win can be difficult. The game will kick at 11am PT. Week 1 Cal did fine at UNC in a game that kicked 10am PT, but also had the entire camp season to get ready for that game and time zone issue. Their last 4 games I believe have all been late night games. So this will take some adjustment. Granted, same adjustment for CU also (12 local) who has played late last several weeks as well. Will be interesting to see if one team comes out sharper than the other.

Colorado has either thrown in the towel or will rally around their desperation. Given they haven't play that great this year, I have a hard time seeing all of a sudden they throw the magic switch here. But Cal isn't that daunting of an opponent either.

I think the key will be limiting any big plays out of CU and Cal needs to figure out how to get some of their own. They can't expect to be 13 of 19 on 3rd down and nickle/dime their way down the field again this week.

I agree that while I was looking more into it, I realized that this game isn't a sinch for Cal by any means. But Colorado just looks lost in the Pac-12. I may be reading too much into it, but the way Mcintire was yelling at the ref constantly within this one 5-10 minute frame. Felt like he had too much frustration to contain, like his players weren't listening to him anymore, and like he wasn't controlling anything. With Colorado's offense, their soft o-line and their uncertainty at quarterback (granted Montez is way better at eluding pressure than statue Falk was) in terms of not turning it over and getting consistent drives, with their softness on defense that is making opposing rush attacks look a lot better than they should, plus Cal's pass attack is pretty decent and Bowers shouldn't face much pressure at all, I just feel like they shouldn't be favored (even though they should in terms of talent and on paper, I agree with you there). To me Cal looks like a team that wants to win. I think Col is on a low after last season's dream season. The early play time may affect both team's body chemistry, sure, but it also takes away some of Colorado's home field advantage, as well. Plus the homecoming trend may mean something. The one win out of the last 9 was with last year's dream team.

Not exactly how I anticipated it but a win is a win....

If anyone likes my articles or just wants to see a game discussed, I take requests for next week's articles

Agree on all of the above sides. Was reviewing last night and i was landing on a few of these.

Great detail here

I think I might try just 2 ML dogs next time. 4 means I can't write so much about any one pick. But thanks.

Back