ML Dogs Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Tough article to write. Impossible to maintain the 800 word count. But hopefully that will be forgiven since this is three in one...

Upset Alert! Triple Pack of Dangerous Underdogs

Cash in on three underdogs that may win their respective game outright.

#11 Miami (4-0) hosts Georgia Tech (3-1) this Saturday at 3:30 PM ET. Miami opened as 7.5 point favorites, but that number has been bet down to 5.5.

Miami is in a dangerous spot, coming off a last-second, emotional revenge victory against in-state rival Florida State. They are prime to suffer a letdown at home against unranked Georgia Tech.

Travis Homer, who has yet to rush more than 8 times in a game against an FBS opponent, must replace injured running back Mark Walton, who had been averaging 7.6 yards per carry.

Dual-threat quarterback Malik Rosier leads Miami's balanced attack. Rosier's poor 58% season completion is inflated by playing Bethune-Cookman and Toledo. Against Florida State's higher-ranked pass defense, Rosier completed just 43% of his passes. Despite a regression in his run support, Rosier will try to improve his passing against a Georgia Tech defense that returns all 4 starters from last year and is ranked 22nd in passing yards allowed.

Georgia Tech's offense features a lethal option run attack that should succeed against a Miami defense which, led by a trio of sophomore linebackers, gave up 200 yards against Florida State's rush attack last week and 183 against Duke's the week before.

Miami consistently struggles against rushing attacks that are able to feature a multifaceted running game that also utilizes a mobile quarterback. KirVonte Benson and TaQuon Marshall lead the Yellow Jackets' rush attack. Both average over 5 yards per carry and have combined for 13 touchdowns. Unlike Miami's previous opponents, the Jackets boast superior numbers at both third-down and red zone conversion.

NCAAF Pick: Georgia Tech +7
Georgia Tech ML +222.

#21 Michigan State (4-1) travels to face Minnesota (3-2) this Saturday at 8:00 PM ET. The Spartans opened as 3 point favorites, but this number has been bet up to 4.

The Spartans' spot is difficult because they are, since 2014, 0-3 ATS in the first half of their first game after playing Michigan. The Spartans tend to come out flat after playing what they consider to be the biggest game of their season. Their physicality and aggressive pursuit of the ball helped them against Michigan, but both should wane against a Gophers offensive line that is 2nd in sacks allowed per game, compared to Michigan's 112th.

Michigan State defeated their two conference opponents who underutilized a talented rush attack. Minnesota, however, is a rush-first offense featuring running backs Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks.

Smith is extremely elusive and excels at making defenders miss. He also runs through contact with high frequency. Brooks ably cuts through defenders, while he runs with downhill momentum and boasts breakaway speed. Both combined for over 200 yards and more than 5 yards per carry last week against a highly-ranked Purdue run defense.

A superior Minnesota rush attack behind a healthy and improving line can follow Notre Dame's run-heavy recipe against the Spartans. Minnesota is also ranked 34th in forcing turnovers, which is an area that Michigan State has struggled with.

Running back LJ Scott has been particularly prone to fumble. He is listed as 'questionable' vs Minnesota. Quarterback Brian Lewerke is actually the Spartans' leading rusher.

Lewerke is a conservative passer, who isn't inclined to make the big passes that could exploit the Gophers' lack of health in the secondary. Michigan State likes to control time of possession and grind out drives with shorter plays.

Minnesota's defensive tandem of Steven Richardson at defensive tackle and Jon Celestin at linebacker will be seminal to containing the Spartans. Richardson will regularly occupy double teams from the Spartans' largely inexperienced offensive line, which will allow Celestin to utilize his speed, ability to recognize offensive schemes and adjustments, and aggression in pursuit.

NCAAF Pick: Minnesota 1H +2.5

Check back for the 1H ML.

Oregon State (1-5) hosts Colorado (3-3) this Saturday at 4:00 PM ET. Colorado opened as 12.5 point favorites, but that number has been bet down to 10.

The spot for Colorado is difficult because they travel after having vowed last week not to lose another game, but came up short in a deflating loss at home against Arizona.

Colorado's performance on defense dropped significantly once they began facing conference opponents. Oregon State may be 1-5, but they had reasonable hope to build off of last season's successes.

The spot for Oregon State is positive because Head Coach Gary Andersen has departed. Anderson had a negative mindset toward his team that instilled a toxic culture in the locker room. With Anderson gone, Oregon State should play looser and rediscover its ability.

Last season, the Beavers gave nearly every visitor a difficult time and concluded the season with two home wins. This season, the Beavers have been tough in the first half, while Andersen failed to make proper halftime adjustments and then saw his team get decimated.

Colorado is undersized in the defensive line and will be vulnerable to the bruising power of Oregon State running back Ryan Nall and of an offensive line that is supporting Nall's 5.5 yards per carry average and giving up few sacks. Colorado suffers the same problem in the secondary, where Jordan Villamin can use his body to catch important passes.

The Beavers will look to control the ball with their well-sized playmakers. With their young but talented and battle-tested secondary and their veteran playmakers at linebacker, they can limit the play-making ability of Colorado's Steve Montez, who is prone to interceptions, and contain running back Phillip Lindsay.

NCAAF Pick: Oregon State 1H +7

Check back for 1H ML

Last edited:
Hard instinctively entrust money with Oregon State. But man that line movement is weird, Oregon State now down to 10! Opened at 12.5. Vs hapless Colorado. Colorado has been garbage vs Pac-12 competition, but Oregon State is not on a Pac-12 level, judging by their performance vs CSU and Portland State

Last edited:
Beavers were a team though that actually played well at home last year. And in the first half of home games this year. Maybe Anderson's departure can somehow get them to play looser? Mixed messages about the players seeming to have been appalled in response to his departure and the toxic culture that he encouraged in the program

Last edited:
The Colorado - Oregon State game has intrigued me as well but I don't know how to play it.

First off I don't bet many favorites and pretty much hate road favorites in most cases.

But if we are just picking who will win straight up...I still don't know how to play it!

I think you know as much about Colorado as many here since you've had 3 preview articles involving them. To me, I think this is a game that should be right in their wheel house. Oregon St O should do nothing that will really threaten or exploit CU's D. And even if the Oregon St D isn't as bad as some results have shown, CU's run game with Lindsey and with Montez should move the ball and Montez's limited passing game should be able to make some plays as well.

But there is just something surrounding the situation at Ore St right now, with Anderson gone...it has to be a tough week to prepare with all the noise right now, but maybe those coaches meeting rooms were really combative, toxic and unproductive?

Honestly, in my opinion, Oregon St shouldn't have been this bad this year. Before the season, based on the improvement last year and this being year 3 of the staff I felt they should've taken CSU to a 4th qrt game (maybe not winning it, but competitive). The Portland St game shouldn't have been close. They shouldn't have lost at home to Minnesota (were fairly competitive last year in Minneapolis vs Gophers). The Washington games were never going to be good matchups for them. But before the season started, with the assumed growth, this game vs Colorado should've been a game they had a shot in.

But it has all gone to hell.

If you or anyone said they were going to ML Oregon St I would totally see why and even possibly condone it. Oregon St can definitely win this game. It just isn't for me. Not even the ats. I just can't go with a flip the switch theory for them right now. Maybe after their bye, if they regroup I could see myself being on them in some situations.

Best of luck to you if you go with the Beavs

The Colorado - Oregon State game has intrigued me as well but I don't know how to play it.

First off I don't bet many favorites and pretty much hate road favorites in most cases.

But if we are just picking who will win straight up...I still don't know how to play it!

I think you know as much about Colorado as many here since you've had 3 preview articles involving them. To me, I think this is a game that should be right in their wheel house. Oregon St O should do nothing that will really threaten or exploit CU's D. And even if the Oregon St D isn't as bad as some results have shown, CU's run game with Lindsey and with Montez should move the ball and Montez's limited passing game should be able to make some plays as well.

But there is just something surrounding the situation at Ore St right now, with Anderson gone...it has to be a tough week to prepare with all the noise right now, but maybe those coaches meeting rooms were really combative, toxic and unproductive?

Honestly, in my opinion, Oregon St shouldn't have been this bad this year. Before the season, based on the improvement last year and this being year 3 of the staff I felt they should've taken CSU to a 4th qrt game (maybe not winning it, but competitive). The Portland St game shouldn't have been close. They shouldn't have lost at home to Minnesota (were fairly competitive last year in Minneapolis vs Gophers). The Washington games were never going to be good matchups for them. But before the season started, with the assumed growth, this game vs Colorado should've been a game they had a shot in.

But it has all gone to hell.

If you or anyone said they were going to ML Oregon St I would totally see why and even possibly condone it. Oregon St can definitely win this game. It just isn't for me. Not even the ats. I just can't go with a flip the switch theory for them right now. Maybe after their bye, if they regroup I could see myself being on them in some situations.

Best of luck to you if you go with the Beavs

"Honestly, in my opinion, Oregon St shouldn't have been this bad this year. Before the season, based on the improvement last year "

Exactly. They won their last 2 games last year (both at home of course). I feel like the talent is there. I'm thinking that the coaching change may help it flourish.

But also look at Colorado. Now 0-3 in conference. Last week was their last straw--they all said that they can't lose anymore, this is our last chance. They sank at home against a subpar offensive attack from Arizona, that's deflating. And they could overlook OSU with #8 WSU coming up.

Danke Amigo and BOL to you too!

And yes s--k i'm a low-key fan of the Buffs and like to cover them but man last week vs Arizona just surprised me, totally did not expect their run defense to be so impotent. Do you have any explanation for that amigo?

It's up...sorry, I notice that the research required to try to understand three games seemingly exhausted my mental ability to write well and concisely...

I like these picks mainly for the spot. But I tried to talk about some supporting match-up details as well

Last edited:
love the write ups VC and agree and have already play Georgia Tech points and ML and will likely play the Minn one and close my eyes if I enter the Oregon St one lol

love the write ups VC and agree and have already play Georgia Tech points and ML and will likely play the Minn one and close my eyes if I enter the Oregon St one lol

I wanted a "fun" one in there especially for our degens. Really could see it happening though. The best long shot

Thanks Amigo and BOL

Last edited:
There was this commercial on P12 Network where they spotlight the schools in the league and some student says "go Devils" or "go Ducks". When it came time for Oregon St they had a chic say "Go Beavs". I liked it haha.

There was this commercial on P12 Network where they spotlight the schools in the league and some student says "go Devils" or "go Ducks". When it came time for Oregon St they had a chic say "Go Beavs". I liked it haha.

Lol? Is that supposed to be a sexual double entendre with the girl? :)

I wanted a "fun" one in there especially for our degens. Really could see it happening though. The best long shot

Thanks Amigo and BOL

Yea i'm chancing it, let's go for it. Ideally they play loose without toxic coach and play at home like they did last year and have been doing in 1. half this year

Yes I had the under circled, but I am super selective on totals and don't play many. If i had to I would take it and feel ok about it.

What do you mean about Tenn and Fl being in the same kind of line as SC and LSU? SC was a homedog vs a team that wasn't better than them and LSU ended up a road fav. I'm sure you meant something I just am not thinking of.

Yes I had the under circled, but I am super selective on totals and don't play many. If i had to I would take it and feel ok about it.

What do you mean about Tenn and Fl being in the same kind of line as SC and LSU? SC was a homedog vs a team that wasn't better than them and LSU ended up a road fav. I'm sure you meant something I just am not thinking of.

Arky was barely favored, a public fave, against a team nobody wanted to bet on. Florida similarly was tempting as a small fave against a team nobody was wanting to bet on whose line was moving vastly in their favor.

Same kind of sneakiness today. SC a dog against a Tenn team nobody wants to bet on. Florida a small fave against the Aggies who are getting a really tempting line.

I had LSU and SC so maybe that is why I missed your point perhaps.

Hey whatever works for you. We all make rationalizations and reasons to justify our plays.

So many dogs to talk about here

Indiana vs UM in hangover and lookahead spot. Arizona State looks even better with wsu losing which should make UW more complacent. 1H and FG legit ML opportunities, UW should pull away tho but not cover

I just watched the opening drives for both CU and Ore St. Ore St looks really fired up. Not sure if their O plays were scripted or what they do, but they looked quite confident and executed well for their opening TD. They were getting pressure on Montz. CU did miss on a Montez-Field slant that could've been a nice play.

But atleast early, I think we are getting the enthusiasm we wanted out of Beavers. Interim HC was pretty excited on the sideline too.

Not sure about your complacent angle for Wash tonight. I could play the other side and say it makes them more aware of a potential upset as in "see what can happen if we don't come out with our best tonight". Better to stick with your fundamentals then guess what is inside the player's heads.

Indiana was really stupid to be both 1h and fg ml and 1h ats lost too

But beavers 1h ml was sick and devils 1h ml would be sick too!

Sdsu was a trap with rlm. After tennessee and florida lost as line plays i wish i had bet on boise. Minny was disappointing but texas beavers gt covered, overall the article plays were very solid including the sc under

Its so frustrating to lose a half play and therefore not be able to profit on the game fucking indiana whyd you take so long to get inspired on offense

My articles will not be able to have the scouting stuff in them. They have to be 200 words fewer. And involve more betting-related numbers. I think i can still be intelligent as long as i focus on specifically on the key angle (for instance asu can pass but uw's secondary is untested)!and so i'll leave a lot of informative info out about the given teams

Back