Mitchell Report, part 2

Yanks27Sox9

CTG Partner
Just a cautionary note for tomorrow's circus...

This report pretty much means nothing!

Why? Many reasons...

First, tomorrow. It'll be a complete and total circus...and with all the talk radio/tv/espn pundits/etc, they'll make it a complete joke with all the over-dramatization. After all, by definition of what they do, they are all drama queens. (The entire media, i mean.) I'd suggest letting the smoke settle a bit tomorrow, digesting all the information, and remembering that this is merely a fraction of the users/cheaters/information.

Second, nothing should be taken as gospel...just because it's either written or spoken. Also, consider the source. Mitchell had basically nothing...before the Mutt's clubhouse guy got busted, and rolled in a plea agreement. So 60-80 players get named...big deal. It was the steroid era, and the large majority of players used something to some extent at one or more points in time during this era...bottom line. The ones that happen to get named tomorrow are only the unlucky ones, who happened to be associated with the criminal that rolled.

What if mostly only NL players get named, because the rat came from the Mutt's clubhouse? Then what about the AL?
What if only players on east coast teams get named? Then what about the west?
Or what if this guy had an axe to grind with someone, and threw him under the bus with the rest getting named as some type of revenge? Like if say Tom Glavine slept with the dude's girlfriend or something?
I know...completely assinine thinking. But considering the source, and his criminal history, nothing's really out of the question...and nothing (in the report, or left off the report) should be taken as gospel.

Basically the only aspect of this report that we can realistically stand behind and believe is pretty much what we already knew. That everyone involved was at fault, at all levels of the game...and that there was indeed a steriod era.

All the rest doesn't matter. Partly because these 60-80 unlucky players are jsut a fraction of the total problem. (See the shit that comes out on Paul Byrd, or some minor leaguer struggling to make it to the bigs. It's everyone...hitters, pitchers, old and young...regardless of size/appearance...regardless of productivity/success...and regardless if it's steroids, HGH, or even amphetimines. There are tons of them. Tomorrow's casualties are jsut the one's associated with this one particular source.)

Now i'm not trying to diminish the fact that there was indeed a major problem...that became the steroid era as we know it...or even that there still may be (is) a big problem. I jsut think the system and this report are both very flawed.

IMO, they should've focused on moving forward...really cleaning up the game, and putting an end to the steroid era. All this report does is dredge up a portion...a portion...of the past. Doesn't solve a thing. Just creates even more drama...just hurts the game, and certain players...while others escape, and nothing really changes. (MLB isn't forced to do anything, &/or change, as a result.)

And after tomorrow...do you really think there'll be another informant to this issue, short of a new bust/plea agreement? This might be it...which would be yet another crime.

Anyways...i'm dreading tomorrow. As a fan of the game, i don't want to see it get hurt...like it most definitely will tomorrow. And i don't think it's right that only a small percentage are gonna get raked over the coals, while others skate free.

IMHO...it was always a level playing field, so i'm ok with jsut leaving it as the steroid era...IF we can move forward from a certain point in time with a clean slate...and a cleaned up game.
Most used something, until proven otherwise. Just look at all who've been caught over the years, and how it runs compeltely scross the board...of positions, age, race, size, producivity, success, etc. There is no more presumed innocent nowadays in baseball, that's jsut how it is...how it became.
So rather than create more drama/problems, by digging up merely a portion of the past (from one main source, who can't be really trusted either)...why not spend the time/energy in fixing the problem instead?

But that's what has unfortunately become the American Way...
Throw money and resources at a problem, just to push it off to another time/generation/etc. That way no one gets too hurt, everyone keeps their jobs, and nothing ever gets solved.
(See social security, health care, immigration, or any other major political issue. Even though this is baseball...it's also very political right now...thus a former Senator being behind this report/partial investigation.)

Oh well...i'll get off my soapbox. It's jsut going to be such a sad day for baseball tomorrow. I guess i'm jsut hoping that people will think for themselves, not overreact or fall into the over-dramatic trap the media will set, and that common sense will prevail (for once) in the end...because this completely blows.

My question is this: Ok, so they name 80 names for using steriods and then what? Ban them for life from baseball. Not going to happen. Not induct them into the HOF. Not going to happen. If they suspend all the names mentioned today (which IMO there are many more that may not be uncovered today) then opening day is going to be a joke just like the sport of baseball is already. I love baseball but they have morons running the league. Now I am a realist and believe that the PA has a lot to do with this mess too. To me this press conference is a joke. They should have had a drug testing program in place years ago. Also why would baseball (already tainted the last few years because of the steroid talk) want to suspend or ban players like: Bonds, Tejada, Clemens etc... when these are the guys fans come to watch everyday. They are the reason baseball is baseball. I know banning a player more than likely won't happen but you never know. Just my IMO. We shall see today what bullshit comes out of this.

I still stand by any steroid use before any policy place was completely within the rules the governing body put in place... (shrug)

It will be interesting, but still, within the rules

Exactly Santa, and then move forward from here.

Now, how the HOF committee and fans alike want to react to this is their own choice.

They all just got copies, Jeremy Schapp just started listing off names; the only big one I heard was Tejada. No surprise ... how funny would it be if Kruk's name is on it, haha. They cut back to the studio, and everyones just staring at him. That's the name I want to hear. If John Smoltz is on there, I'm gonna be very disappointed, he's my favorite player by far.

i'll have some post-report thoughts in a few days, as i get time to post...but this was indeed a waste. other then his recommendations for moving forward, that is.

remember, that list of names is jsut the tip of the iceberg. it's a very small percentage of the total #. unfortunately, we'll never know the total #...but bullshit it's not the majority of players...and bullshit it wasn't always a level playing field, as a result.

but that's the one problem naming names in this one. unless the investigation continues until they clean it all up, it's a joke to throw the unlucky few under the bus...while most of the users skate free.
there was one main source, and two minor sub-sources, to all of this...thus the groupings, etc. but don't think there aren't dozens of other sources out there, for each team in each city.

anyways, more later on this crap.
at least it was nice to see some common sense outta bob costas, pete gammons, timmy k, and a couple of the other pundits...and that they didn't let espn take all the drama to obscene/ridiculous levels.

keeping this shit in context is the key. even mitchell was right about that.

Back