MistaFlava's MOTOR CITY BOWL ***Power Selection*** (Writeup and Analysis)

MistaFlava

Cheerleader
2006 CFB Bowl Record: 3-4 (-25.00 Units)
2006 CFB Bowl ATS Record: 3-3 (-25.00 Units)
2006 CFB Bowl O/U Record: 0-0 (+0.00 Units)
2006 CFB Season Record: 76-59-3 (-47.60 Units)

Im struggling a little bit to find a rythm in the Bowl Season. It's time to turn it up a notch and finish with 70% winners from here on in. It's going to be tough but it's not impossible and the big winning streak starts tonight.

---------------------------------

Tuesday, December 26

Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders +8 (30 Units)

It's finally here. The last of the bad Bowl Games has arrived and after today it's time to get down to business with the big boys where predicting winners is going to be a lot easier. Middle Tennessee State is a virtual unknown to most gamblers because they played on National TV only once this year and they play in the worst conference in College Football, the SunBelt Conference. The one time we did see this team on TV, they brought their A game against Louisville and almost pulled off an impossible upset until breaking down in the later stages of the game and eventually getting blown out. Regardless, the Blue Raiders showed that they can play with heart and integrity and there is no reason to believe they won't be ready for this game. The Blue Raiders had some very impressive conference road wins where they blew out their opposition by 17+ points and they don't seem to have any issues playing away from home. The Blue Raiders missed out on the Sun Belt Title by 1 point in a loss to Troy in their season finale so they should definitely be playing this game with a chip on their shoulders. Now that Tory convincingly won their Bowl Game, Rick Stockstill and his guys will want to do the same. The Blue Raiders are averaging 23.5 points per game this season and they have done it by averaging 282.7 total yards per game on 4.7 yards per play. Central Michigan have allowed 22.9 points per game this season but they have allowed a respectable 344.7 total yards per game on only 4.9 yards per play. On the ground, RB's Eugene Gross and Demarco McNair combined for 1400+ rushing yards this season with a combined 16 touchdowns. Central Michigan is allowing 133.7 rushing yards per game this season on 3.6 yards per carry which is decent but could be better. In the air, QB Clint Marks is completing 59.3% of his passes this season but he's a Senior and this game means the world to him. He averages 6.8 yards per pass attempt and has three WR's who can catch the deep ball. The Chippewas allowing opposing QB's to complete 61.7% of their passes this season for 6.2 yards per pass attempt. Marks has thrown only 7 int's all season which is good because the Chippewas have 14 interceptions on the year and they'll be pressuring Marks all night long. The Blue Raiders are not a high scoring offense by any means but they will want to get the running game going early bringing up third down and short situations. They are converting 40.0% of 3rd downs this season which should work in their favor if they want to control the clock and keep the Chippewas off the field. I think Marks and Gross will enjoy their final college games.​

The Central Michigan Chippewas did it all this season. They won 9 games for the first time in a long time, they made it back to a Bowl Game for the first time since 1994 and they won their first MAC Conference Championship in several years. So what's left to do for these guys? NOTHING! Middle Tennessee State lost the Sun Belt Title by one measly point this season which means that they are coming into this Bowl Game with a purpose. The Chippewas on the other hand have accomplished each and everyone of their goals this season and now that head coach Brian Kelly has jumped ship to Cincinnati, this team is left without much gain this Bowl Game. Had the Chippewas lost in the MAC Title game or something like that, I am sure that would come out in this Bowl Game and want to kick the crap out of someone but that's not the case. There will be no honoring coach Kelly in this game because he bailed on his guys and most of them probably don't care much for him. I just cannot see the Chipps coming out with any kind of intensity. Apart from their road wins over Buffalo and Toled as well as their Title Game win over Ohio, I wasn't impressed by any of their out-of-conference away games. The Chippewas average 29.6 points per game this season and they have done it on 380.2 total yards per game and 6.2 yards per play. Impressive but can they do it again without their coach? Middle Tennessee's defense has allowed only 22.6 points per game this season on 325.7 total yards per game and 5.2 yards per play. On the ground, RB Ontario Sneed and QB Dan Lefevour are both big time threats on the ground averaging 127.8 rushing yards per game but on 4.3 yards per carry. Middle Tennessee State has the best DL-LB combination in the Sun Belt and they have allowed only 117.8 rushing yards per game on 3.5 yards per carry. The Chippewas will have to throw a lot in this game. Lefevour took over this team earlier this year and don't forget he's only a freshman who's been off for a while now and quite possibly out of rythm. He had an outstanding year passing for 7.9 yards per pass attempt, completing 63.9% of his passes and throwing 25 touchdowns. However, Middle Tennessee State is decent against the pass allowing a completion rate of only 57.2% this season. The Blue Raiders do allow some big yardage plays but if they can pressure Lefevour enough to move him around, they will eliminate those killer big plays. Middle Tennessee has 32 sacks on the year. DE Erik Walden has 9 sacks while Linebacker JK Sabb will be a huge presence in this game with his 67 tackles and 4 sacks. CMU has fumbled a whopping 29 times this season while Middle Tennessee have forced 25 fumbles and recovered 13. Middle Tennessee's D-Line are monsters in the middle.​

The public's perception of this game is that since CMU are MAC Conference champs and since their ATS record was so good this year, they are going to easily cover this spread. Well I capped this game at -4.5 for Central Michigan based on overall performance this season when you average out who they played against, their strength of schedule and the fashion in which they performed or won games as either the underdog of the favorite. Middle Tennessee State is very underrated and they are capable of alot more than people think. Some ESPN writer wrote that the biggest mismatch of the Bowl Season is this one and that Middle Tennessee State cannot possibly come within 3 touchdowns of the Chippewas. Sure they won the MAC but they are getting too much respect with this line. They are probably going to approach this game thinking they can blow out the Blue Raiders but as we will all learn tonight, that most certainly won't be the case. Way too many points for a MAC team to be favored here. MAC teams go 0-2 ATS and SU after this one. Middle Tennessee State has a chip on their shoulder and this is their chance to brush it off.​

Trend of the Game: Middle Tennessee is 6-1 ATS in their last seven games versus a team with a winning record.​

Middle Tennessee 31, Central Michigan 20​

:cheers:​

Flava, I have been trying to talk myself into MTSU all day; your writeup is the best case for them I have read so far. The one intangible that has me passing the game instead of playing MTSU is the interim coach for CM; everything I read, indicates the players like him and want him to be the new HC next year. I'm thinking that may get them thru their overconfidence (which I agree they will be).

GL tonite; to me, an avid CFB fan, this is an intriguing matchup. My friends and family think I am a nut!

Middle Tennessee' D-Line and LB corps is very underrated. They are going to make Lefevour unfcomfortable all night long forcing him to move away from throwing the deep ball (CMU's bread and butter).

Also, Lefevour was in a nice rythm all season long and it's a lot tougher for a freshman to regain that swagger after this much time off. CMU has nothing left to play for having accomplished all their goals this season while Middle Tennessee missed the Sun Belt Title by one point in their season finale against Troy...they have a lot to play for here.

Middle Tennessee wins this game straight up.

GL

I like the pick. Not sure they will win outright because of a suspect pass D but they can keep it close with the speed they have on D and they should be up for this game more than CMU.
Good Luck!!

No player for either team has every played in a bowl game.

if u look at there pass defense they gave up big yards to some big division 1 schools . i think it was like louisville and they pass against anybody. so dont think there bad just got beat up against some good teams.

BIG TRUCKER said:
if u look at there pass defense they gave up big yards to some big division 1 schools . i think it was like louisville and they pass against anybody. so dont think there bad just got beat up against some good teams.

Spot on bro...and im sorry to say that MTSU is as underrated as they get and they could most definitely beat your Hoosiers should they ever me matched up. LOL...good luck!

mista hell we got high school teams(WARREN CENTRAL IN INDY) THAT COULD BEAT THE HOOSIERS. LOL MTS JUST WENT UP TO +9 ON BODOG. TO MANY PEOPLE ON THE HOME TEAM. TO MANY COACHING PROBLEMS FOR CMU FOR ME. IT HAS TO TAKE A TOLL ON THE HOW THEY PLAY THE GAME. THERE WILL BE SOME COACHING DECISIONS IN THIS GAME THAT WILL BE DIFFERENT THEN THERE USEED TO.

Flava - Always enjoy the writeups as you definitely add value to the forum. Have to disagree with the point about Central not having anything to play for though, because this is a huge opportunity for them to shine in the spotlight on ESPN as they are the only game in town, plus the kids seem to really like Quinn and want him to be given this head coaching job, so they want to demonstrate to everyone that there is no drop off from Kelly to him, so I expect them to play their hearts out tonight for coach Quinn, and lastly, they have about 18,000 fans making the trip from Mt Pleasant, so that is added incentive to not just sleepwalk through this game, as it is not just another neutral site bowl game with less than 10,000 fans in the stands who don't care one way or the other.

Should be an interesting one to watch as there are a lot of great cappers on both sides of this one, so it should make for some fun light hearting ribbing one way or the other later tonight haha.

Here's to a great run the rest of the way Flava (starting tomorrow not tonight though since I have Central haha).

Later.

THE NOTORIOUS DOG said:
YO YO YO FLAVA

I looked for you today DOG!!

However Im on the other side tonight with the Chippewas!

great bet, you win because these guys are absolutely pathetic :spank:

Tough game Flava, I had to fade you tonight, but I will be following you in the upcoming games because these bullshit games are out of the way. Hope you get to your 70%.... I'm tailgating!!!!

Back