MistaFlava's EMERALD BOWL ***Power Selection*** (Writeup and Analysis)

MistaFlava

Cheerleader
2006 CFB Bowl Record: 3-5 (-58.00 Units)
2006 CFB Bowl ATS Record: 3-5 (-58.00 Units)
2006 CFB Bowl O/U Record: 0-0 (+0.00 Units)
2006 CFB Season Record: 76-59-3 (-47.60 Units)

Im struggling a little bit to find a rythm in the Bowl Season. It's time to turn it up a notch and finish with 70% winners from here on in. It's going to be tough but it's not impossible and the big winning streak starts tonight.

---------------------------------

EmeraldBowl.JPG

Wednesday, December 27

Florida State Seminoles +3 (20 Units)

The Florida State Seminoles have what you could consider a disaster season. The Seminoles finished the year 6-6 making it the first time in many many years that they don't finish with at least 8 wins under Bobby Bowden. Now that his son Jeff is no longer the offensive coordinator, look for things to open up a little bit for the Seminoles. Bobby is fully capable of making the calls himself in this game before announcing a new offensive coordinator once the Bowl Game is all said and done. The Noles were not that bad offensively, averaging 25.1 points per game this season which was pretty much what this team averaged in 2004 when they went 8-3 and spanked West Virginia in the Gator Bowl. The Seminoles returned 11 starters to the team this year and were definitely part of National Title contender talks after beating Miami in Miami in the opening week of the season. However, things took a turn for worse when the Noles lost the battle of the Bowdens at home to other son Tommy and the Clemson Tigers. After losing that game, Florida State then got upset at NC State and never recovered from that loss, losing to Boston College and Maryland in another two upset losses. In the end, this was a very disappointing season for the Noles and their fans. Florida State is averaging 25.1 points per game this season on 322.0 total yards and 5.3 yards per play. UCLA's defense has been good all season and they have allowed 17.9 points per game on only 304.8 total yards of offense and 4.8 yards per play. On the ground, the Seminoles running attack is going to have to get things going early. The Noles average only 95.8 rushing yards per game on the season for 3.5 yards per carry but both Lorenzo Booker and Antone Smith averaged 4.3 and 5.2 yards per carry respectively with 7 combined touchdowns. UCLA is allowing only 89.9 rushing yards per game on 2.8 yards per carry this season so running won't be easy. In the air, QB Drew Weatheford is getting the start and hopefully he sees this as a chance to redeem himself. Weatherford completed 56.7% of his passes this season for 6.7 yards per pass attempt, 11 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Weatherford was sacked only 17 times this season which is pretty good because UCLA have 40 sacks on the year and he'll be under pressure all night long. UCLA's secondary is allowing 56.9% of passes to be completed against them for 6.8 yards per pass attempt with 12 interceptions on the year. The key to this game for Florida State will be to open up this offense like they did against Rice, Duke, Virginia, Western Michigan, Troy and Maryland. The only problem there is that UCLA's defense is a few notches better than all of these teams so big plays will be important. As long as FSU doesn't turn the ball over in this game and as long as the move the ball and control the clock, I think they'll get redemption for their very close Bowl loss to Penn State last year.​

The UCLA Bruins are now in their 4th year under Karl Dorrell and yet things don't seem to be moving in the right direction. Sure the Bruins were 7-5 on the year which is not bad for the PAC 10 Conference but 7-5 is definitely a step down from 9-2 last season and definitely not a step up from 6-6 and 6-5 seasons under Dorrell in his first two years. UCLA's big wins this season came against Utah (who hadn't yet woken up in the first week of the season), Stanford (one of the worst teams in the Country), Arizona (another non-Bowl bound team), Oregon State, Arizona State and in their season finale, against USC. Apart from their last three games of the season, this team was not heading to a Bowl Game and Karl Dorrell was most likely on the verge of being fired. The Bruins three game winning streak was great but after 26 days away from that streak, can the Bruins really re-capture what they had against an FSU team hungry as hell for a win? I think it's going to be tough because they are a very young team and went 4-3 ATS as favorites this year. The win over USC was probably the big win the UCLA program was looking for so the urgency for Dorrell (1-2 in Bowl Games) to win this game is not that big and I really have a feeling the Bruins are going to get caught sleeping in this one. The Bruins are averaging 22.7 points per game this season and they have done it by also averaging 321.4 total yards of offense and 5.0 yards per play. That's hardly enough to make FSU's defense cringe. The Seminoles have allowed 19.3 points per game this season and they have done it by allowing only 278.9 total yards per game and 4.4 yards per play in those games. On the ground, RB Chris Markey has been lights out running the ball well all season but as a team the Bruins average only 124.4 total rushing yards per game on 3.7 yards per carry. Florida State's defense is great against the run allowing only 84.1 rushing yards per game this season on 2.6 yards per carry. The only games UCLA has won have been because they can run the ball and create some room for the passing game. In the air, QB Pat Cowan is getting the start in this one but Ben Olson will also play making things a little complicated. Not many QB's will enjoy the fact of knowing they don't have full control of a team. Cowan is completing only 54.2% of his passes this season for 6.4 yards per pass attempt while throwing 9 touchdown passes with 7 interceptions. I have a feeling it won't take very long before Dorrell pulls Cowan and let's Olson take a shot at the Noles defense. Florida State is allowing their opponents to complete 56.1% of their passes this season for 6.2 yards per pass attempt. They have 25 sacks on the season and getting pressure on Cowan or Olson is going to be huge in this game. Florida State's defense has the ability and talent to make some huge plays and I think they kinda underachieved all season long. Their defensive line is still one of the best in the Country in terms of talent, their linebackers are as stout as it gets and their secondary is so talented that it can take control of this game without problems. It's time for Florida State to show what they are all about for 2007.​

The Florida State Seminoles had a very disappointing season but with not pressure on them in this Bowl Game and with Jeff Bowden now sent packing, the offense has no more excuses for not performing. Florida State's defense is much more talented that UCLA's defense and I don't have a doubt they can come into this game and prove it. UCLA is taking the two QB approach to this game and I really don't like Dorrell and the way he coaches in Bowl Games. He is an average coach at best and the difference in coaching caliber is going to be the biggest difference in this game. Look for Florida State's defense to completely take control of this game by forcing big turnovers and getting the ball back for the offense with some great field position. UCLA blew their load against USC but FSU are going to be the ones who impress in this game.​

Trend of the Game: Florida State is 5-1 ATS as underdogs the last two seasons (including 2005 Orange Bowl).​

Florida State 28, UCLA 10​

:cheers:​

UCLA also had notre dames on the ropes and a miracle touchdown saved them in that game. I would give this team a little more credit than what you are saying. They lost Jones drew, their qb and merecedes lewis and still are more than descent.

FSU scored all their points against Western Michigan 28, UVA 33, DUke 51, Rice 55,Troy 24..They played a joke of a sechudle and in the real games that they did play their offense was non existant.( Miami 13,Wake 0,Florida 14, BC 19) But g luck Mista

So basically you're saying that everything that both teams have been doing lately has to go the opposite way for FSU to win this game. I think that's a dangerous road. Good health bro.

Again I disagree here bro, I like your writeups but I just can't picture the game going like this...

This is the 2nd night you have a dog not only covering but winning by double digits.

IMO, it is asking a lot for FSU to suddenly just turn a switch on while UCLA has all the reason to finish this season on a high note. Two teams going in opposite directions. IMO, UCLA players want it more and the PAC10 gets its first Bowl Win

everythingthatsgreen said:
This is the 2nd night you have a dog not only covering but winning by double digits.

I eat my words. Nice job turning shit around tonight, glad I stayed away from this game

Back