MistaFlava's CFB THURSDAY NIGHT ***Power Selection*** (Writeup & Analysis)

MistaFlava

Cheerleader
MistaFlava's 2007 CFB Record: 34-27-2 (+155.90 Units)
MistaFlava's 2007 ATS Record: 32-24-2 (+161.80 Units)
MistaFlava's 2007 O/U Record: 0-1 (-5.50 Units)
MistaFlava's 2007 2nd Half Record: 2-2 (-0.40 Units)

Last 4 weeks: 25-15-2 ATS (+190.50 Units)

COLLEGE GAMEDAY PLAYS OF THE WEEK: 4-0 ATS (+130.00 Units)

Week 1: ---
Week 2: Louisiana State -11
Week 3: USC -9.5
Week 4: Georgia +3.5
Week 5: California +6.5

Welcome to my College Football threads for the 2007-2008 season. Not the kind of start I was looking for but after observing and watching things play out this past weekend, I think it helped a lot of grow as cappers and Im a big believer in the 'watch and learn' type of theory. The rule changes didn't make much of a difference, well not yet anyways and every single week that goes by brings a new lesson in the world of college football betting. Best of luck to all this week!

----------------------------------

Thursday, October 4

South Carolina Gamecocks -4 (5 Units)

The Kentucky Wildcats have become everyone's favorite little team to bet on this season. Sure they deserve and I understand seeing how they are off to a 5-0 straight up start this season with a 4-0 ATS record in those games but I hope most of you realize that handicapping football games goes way beyond looking at what a team has done in the present season. The Wildcats have won all five games but who have they beat? They beat I-AA Eastern Kentucky on opening night, followed that up with a win against Kent State (#63 in the Country for points allowed), followed that up with a win against Louisville (#76 in the Country for points allowed), followed that up with a win over Arkansas (#80 in the Country for points allowed) and most recently beat Florida Atlantic (#95 in the Country for points allowed). So tonight they go up against the #16 team in the Country for points allowed per game and that is a HUGE jump in class for the Wildcats. It's a jump in class I doubt they can handle. Kentucky has lost seven straight games in the series against South Carolina so you know that they are not going to have as much confidence as usual coming into this game. Let's face it guys, their schedule has been vanilla at best and this is one tough ass place to play. The Wildcats come into this game averaging a whopping 46.6 points per game this season and they have done that by also averaging 492.2 total yards of offense per game on 6.7 yards per play but keep in mind who they have played against and how it easy it was. South Carolina is one badass defense with 10 returning starters that has allowed only 15.6 points per game this season on 307.6 total yards of offense and 4.4 yards per play. On the ground, Kentucky has found a lot of success running the ball as they average 223.6 rushing yards per game this season and a whopping 5.8 yards per carry. Now I know South Carolina has been pretty bad against the run and allowed 201.2 rushing yards per game on 4.6 yards per carry but their defensive line and their LB's are a lot better than they have shown and I think is going to be a bounce back game for them. Kentucky QB Andre' Woodson is one of the best quarterbacks in the Country and a very good Heisman Trophy candidate at this point in the season with his 67.1% pass completion rate and his 7.8 yards per pass attempt, 16 touchdowns and 1 interception. That's nice and all but South Carolina is not about to have any of it. The Gamecocks opponents have completed only 46.2% of their passes this season for only 4.0 yards per pass attempt which makes them the #1 team in the Country against the pass. They have 6 interceptions on the year and despite not having much of a pass rush, they are very good in short and long pass coverage. That should easily calm things down for Woodson and in turn slow down the running attack of the Wildcats. Kentucky has lost five fumbles already this season and in an SEC weekday road game like this one, turnovers like that are not going to help at all. Kentucky's offense is good but the team as a unit is not as good as people think and that is going to start showing in this game.

The South Carolina Gamecocks are led by one of my favorite coaches fo all-time...Steve Spurrier. The reason I love this guy is because you know he is never going to give up on a game and you know he is going to pullout all stops to make his team look good. Now I know South Carolina comes into this game with a 4-1 record on the year (3-1 ATS) but when you consider that they went on the road and beat a very good Georgia Bulldogs team and then lost to the #1 team in the Country LSU, you have to respect these guys a lot more than oddsmakers are doing in this game. Going back to Steve Spurrier, Kentucky is a team he has always dominated in his career going 14-0 against them lifetime and getting his 200th career win against them. As head coach of the Gamecocks, Spurrier has won twice against South Carolina, beating them by 7 on the road in 2006 and beating them by 28 at home in 2005. That's impressive. If you look at their one ATS on loss on the season, it came in their first game against Louisiana Lafayette but that was then and this is now and this team looks ready to compete in the big ones. The Gamecocks come into this game averaging 27.2 points per game this season and they have done that by averaging 363.6 total yards of offense per game and 5.3 yards per play. Kentucky's defense has allowed 22.0 points per game this season and allowed 384.8 total yards of offense on 5.3 yards per play but this road game is going to be their biggest test yet. The Gamecocks have a decent rushing attack that averages 139.6 rushing yards per game on 4.0 yards per carry and you can expect both RBs Cory Boyd and Mike Davis to have pretty big games considering the Wildcats have allowed 5.0 yards per carry this season on 203.2 rushing yards per game. If the running game is effective early, expect South Carolina to drop bombs in the air. QB Chris Smelley has not looked all that good this season completing only 53.2% of his passes this season for 7.2 yards per pass attempt, 4 touchdowns and 3 interceptions. However, Smelley is starting to get comfortable and I think you have to remeber that he hit 34 of 53 passes in August scrimmages for 509 passing yards, 6 touchdowns and 0 interceptions. Sure it's scrimmage but that's talent and he is still a freshman. I think he has his coming out party tonight against a Kentucky defense that has allowed opposing QB's to complete only 52.8% of their passes this season for 5.7 yards per pass attempt. I really question South Carolina's offensive line but Smelley is much better at avoiding sacks than Blake Mitchell and the Wildcats have only 9 sacks in 5 games. As long as the RB duo on this team can spark them early, I think Steve Spurrier is going to open things up with Chris Smelley who has a very quick release which is definitely a plus againsty this Kentucky team. It won't come easy but the defense is going to spark the Gamecocks and the offense is going to have their chances to win this game in the fourth quarter.

My job here is not to teach how to properly handicap football games because everyone has a style of their own. However, I just want to say that almost every single college football game is about team style versus team style, in other words who matches up well against an another. In this case, South Carolina is the first team Kentucky has faced that matches up really well with them. I know I mentioned ealirer but it's worth mentioning again that Kentucky has yet to face a half decent defense this season. Their four I-A opponents are ranked #63, #76, #80 and #95 resepectively in the Country when it comes to points allowed per game while South Carolina's defense is stud and is ranked #16 in the Country in points allowed (#1 in passing yards allowed). Since 2001, South Carolina has won every single meeting between these two teams and won all of them by at least 4 points. The big question mark for a lot of people in this game is the status of the South Carolina passing attack. Trust me guys, QB Chris Smelley is more than capable of running this offense and with one of the best masterminds of all-time calling the shots, I don't doubt he is going to be fine in this one. I think South Carolina is just too tough at home and I think the turnovers they force late in this game are going to be the difference when it comes to the spread.

Trend of the Game: South Carolina is 7-1 ATS in their last eight games as the favorite.

South Carolina 39, Kentucky 27

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

toast.gif

Carolina's inability to stop the run is my big question mark (Cats #11 in the country rushing and believe they'll be able to open up the pass this way) and Kentucky carries a +7 turnover ratio into this game so they'e been playing mistake free football for the most part. I'm glad andre got his pick out of the way coming into this one.. our line is legit and our backs are versatile.. I agree, the teams we've faced suck my cock defensively and we'll see if the cats can handle the step-up in terms of PASS D.

geat job lately fava... always enjoy the reads

that being said, good health

The only team that ran the ball down our throats is LSU because they were physically more dominating and the better team.

UGA was contained for the most part, 120yds (50 on 1 play in the 4th). Miss St got 140 but it was for 3ypr. ULL ran for their 250 in the 1st game and that to me means jack shit right now. It was such a vanilla game that it was hard to watch. The other game was SC State who didn't do much of anything.

Our rush defense is not as bad as many think. Our pass defense is not #1 in the country like they rank.

The only team that ran the ball down our throats is LSU because they were physically more dominating and the better team.

UGA was contained for the most part, 120yds (50 on 1 play in the 4th). Miss St got 140 but it was for 3ypr. ULL ran for their 250 in the 1st game and that to me means jack shit right now. It was such a vanilla game that it was hard to watch. The other game was SC State who didn't do much of anything.

Our rush defense is not as bad as many think. Our pass defense is not #1 in the country like they rank.

Run defense has underachieved BIG TIME! I still think the SC linebackers are the best in the conference and their D-Line has not played up to snuff. That all changes tonight.

Also read that Steve Spurrier is perfect (14-0) SU against Kentucky.. tailing you on this one

Also read that Steve Spurrier is perfect (14-0) SU against Kentucky.. tailing you on this one

He sure is and he has a passion for Thursday Night football games. Apparently he always tells his guys to stay in on Thursdays and watch the great football game.

I render that 14-0 stat useless. It doesn't do anything in this game except give UK more motivation.

Mista, the SC linebackers are not the best in the SEC. With Jasper and Casper forming a duo and Nathan Pepper still at DE, they had a shot to be but things have changed since then. The DL is getting better and Norwood has been a force on the edge. I think the DL will cause some problems tonight.

Thursday night games are tough on the visiting team. That is something to think about. The home team on Thursday is:

Wk 1 = 3-1
Wk 2 = 2-0
Wk 3 = 1-1
Wk 4 = 1-1
Wk 5 = 2-0

Overall = 9-3

Nice write-up, Mista.

One thing I will contend is that the S. Carolina defense today is not what it was when they beat Georgia between the hedges in week 2. Some injuries have taken their toll. While I believe that S. Carolina will probably win, and I have made my opinion clear on Kentucky in another thread (I said they'd finish 8-4 at best), this to me looks like it will be a very tight game until the end, and might even be an OT type game.

I will sit on the sidelines for this one, but GL with your play

Another issue is the QB situation with Smelley replacing Blake. He is mistake-prone.

After seeing Miss State give S. Carolina such a run in Columbia last weekend, I am scared off of playing the Gamecocks for now..

I like this pick. Thanks for the write up. I like the comments about USC's Secondary (See deep below). You know Spurrier pitches it around all practice long. South Carolina's defensive backs are used to the pass attack.

South Carolina has played two better teams (UGA/LSU...MSU is not bad either) than the two big ones UK played (L'ville/Arky)...playing against better teams makes you better. GO Cocks.

I want to buy it down to three and go large; but maybe not.

Rivals.com---

FINAL NEWS AND NOTES: KENTUCKY STILL FIGHTING FOR RESPECT

Despite the fact Kentucky is unbeaten after five games and ranked eighth in the nation, the Wildcat players still feel they are fighting for respect from the national media who consider Kentucky as a basketball school.

"We feel like we have a lot to prove," UK quarterback Andre Woodson said. "There's still some people who consider us as the doormat of the SEC. Right now, we feel like there's a lot more out there to accomplish. Our goals are every high this season. We don't want to overlook anyone."

After opening the season with a pair of easy wins over Eastern Kentucky and Kent State, Kentucky first raised eyebrows with a thrilling 40-34 victory over arch-rival Louisville, scoring the game-winning point on a long touchdown pass with less than a minute remaining. The following week, Kentucky rallied for a 42-29 win at Arkansas.

"With a couple of wins against some great teams, the sky's the limit," wide receiver Keenan Burton said. "We've beaten some of the teams we were supposed to beat. Now, we're competing against teams we're not supposed to beat. If we do that, it shows we're not the same Kentucky team, that the program is on the rise and it will put even more in the center of the spotlight."

Kentucky is the first team to arrive at Williams-Brice Stadium with an undefeated record this late in the season since October 31, 1998 when Tennessee was 6-0 en route to the national championship. The Volunteers won, 49-14. UK wide receiver Keenan Burton said the Wildcats are thinking big.

"One of the things we preached as we got closer to the season was we wanted to take a step closer towards winning a national championship," Burton said. "A lot of people think that's far-fetched for the University of Kentucky and maybe this year it is, who knows?

"But, at the same time, you don't want to accept mediocrity, You want to strive to do better tan you did last year. Even if that's winning just one more game than last year, we're a step closer to our goal and paving the way for those who follow us."

Steve Spurrier is 14-0 against Kentucky becoming the head coach at Florida in 1990. His clubs have scored 636 points against the Wildcats, an average of 45.4 points per game, while allowing just 241 points, an average of 17.2 points per contest.

If you believe Burton, the Kentucky players are well aware of Spurrier's spectacular record of success against the Wildcats.

"That's great for him," Burton said. "If you can beat a team handily as many tomes as he's beaten us, that shows he knows how to win regardless of which program he's in. What we have to do is come out and give ourselves a chance in the fourth quarter and try t be a better team on that day. We want to give ourselves a chance to say Spurrier 14, Kentucky 1."

Spurrier's teams have scored 50 or more points five times against the Wildcats, including a 73-7 shellacking in 1994 and a 65-0 drubbing in 1996. The closest Kentucky came to knocking off a Steve Spurrier-led team was in 1993 when a freshman QB named Danny Wuerffel led the Gators to a 24-20 victory.

At SEC Media Days in late July, Spurrier joked that he thought USC beating Clemson was a big deal until the Wildcats beat the Tigers in the Music City Bowl. Some people have interpreted the comment as a shot at Kentucky.

"We've heard about that for a while," Woodson said. "That's something where we just need to continue to earn respect. We have to do a great job coming away with a lot more wins because that's the way you earn respect and people will take you a lot more seriously. (The joke) just comes from not being a real good team sin the past."

Kentucky faces a difficult road to the SEC Championship. After playing USC, the Wildcats face LSU and Florida at home. Later, they close out the regular season with games against Georgia and Tennessee.

"If you don't go into the season thinking that (UK can win), you shouldn't be playing for the University of Kentucky," Burton said. "Every school in the SEC believes they can win the conference. That's why the conference is so strong."

SECOND HALF SUCCESS: One of the keys to USC's success this season has been the strength of the team in the second half of games. The Gamecocks have allowed just 23 points in the final two quarters of the first five games of the season. Overall, USC has outscored the opposition, 64-23, in the second half this season. Last week, they scored 21 straight points in the second half to beat Miss. State, 38-21. Previously, they outscored LSU, 9-7, and South Carolina State, 21-0, in the second half. USC has been outscored once in the second half this season, 9-6, by Georgia on Sept. 8. However, the Gamecocks held on for a 16-12 victory.

DATE OPPONENT 2ND HALF FINAL
9/1/07 La.-Lafayette 7-0 W 28-14
9/8/07 at Georgia 6-9 W 16-12
9/15/07 S.C. State 21-0 W 38-3
9/22/07 at LSU 9-7 L 28-16
9/29/07 Miss. State 21-7 W 38-21
</PRE>
USC SECONDARY OVERLOOKED?: With all the attention afforded to the Kentucky offense this week, the argument could be made that the USC secondary has been overlooked. Truthfully, how many people know USC has the top-ranked pass defense in the country? Chris Hampton says it doesn't matter.

"I don't think we've been overlooked, but it really doesn't mean anything right now," Hampton. "We've only played five games. If at the end of the season we're the top ranked (pass defense), then that's something to be proud of. We just have to come out and play like the top-ranked pass defense on Thursday night, that's what really matters."

Although USC hasn't faced any high-powered throwing teams yet in 2007, Hampton says the Gamecock secondary will be prepared for Kentucky because it opposes the USC offense everyday in practice, so it gets a taste of what defending the Wildcats will belike.

"We've been going up against our offense a lot since the spring," Hampton said. "They pass a lot. We've been prepared. It's going to be a challenge. (Andre Woodson) is a great passer. We have to stop him. We can't let them throw the ball up and down the field and expect to win the ballgame."

Kentucky wide receiver Keenan Burton has been impressed by what he's seen on film from the USC secondary.

"They have a great, great pass defense on the back end," Burton said. "I can't say enough about them. They're really fast. One of the cornerbacks runs a 4.37 (seconds) and the other runs a 4.39. That shows they have speed. I think their scheme is better than last year."

Another issue is the QB situation with Smelley replacing Blake. He is mistake-prone.

After seeing Miss State give S. Carolina such a run in Columbia last weekend, I am scared off of playing the Gamecocks for now..

Blake is just as mistake prone. Smelley had some huge numbers in August scrimmages and although it means nothing, the kid has a much quicker release and that's what Spurrier can work with. He's not a dumb coach...he knows what he's doing and Smelley is a lot more mobile and is less of a liability when it comes to opposing teams pass rush.

Thursday night games are tough on the visiting team. That is something to think about.

Agree 100%

Kentucky has been on the road once this year.

I like Spurrier preping the refs. He gave them hell about last week's game and some calls from the UGA game where 'no one in the entire stadium saw the foul'. SC does avg. a few less than KY already.

The calls in the UGA game were BS.

2 personal fouls that no one saw, both of which came after UGA failed on 3rd down and were sending their punt team in.

The call in the Messy Game is also pretty sketchy.

Messy runs a trick play on 3rd down, it gets sniffed out. Time for a field goal, nope.. Holding on Captain Munnerlyn in the endzone (no way it happened). Messy got the ball on the 2 and made it 14-14.

I completely disagree with you here. I enjoy your write-ups every week, but this write-up here is BS....your being hippocritical of yourself here.

"The Kentucky Wildcats have become everyone's favorite little team to bet on this season. Sure they deserve and I understand seeing how they are off to a 5-0 straight up start this season with a 4-0 ATS record in those games but I hope most of you realize that handicapping football games goes way beyond looking at what a team has done in the present season"

"If you look at their one ATS on loss on the season, it came in their first game against Louisiana Lafayette but that was then and this is now and this team looks ready to compete in the big ones."

I completely disagree with you here. I enjoy your write-ups every week, but this write-up here is BS....your being hippocritical of yourself here.

"The Kentucky Wildcats have become everyone's favorite little team to bet on this season. Sure they deserve and I understand seeing how they are off to a 5-0 straight up start this season with a 4-0 ATS record in those games but I hope most of you realize that handicapping football games goes way beyond looking at what a team has done in the present season"

"If you look at their one ATS on loss on the season, it came in their first game against Louisiana Lafayette but that was then and this is now and this team looks ready to compete in the big ones."

Just trying to prove the point or get the message accross that when I cap games, I cap matchups and how teams match up against each other in a particular setting and envirionment. I write a lot of stuff in my writeups so some of it may come off wrong or I might get lost a bit but the end point is usually obvious. GL

Just trying to prove the point or get the message accross that when I cap games, I cap matchups and how teams match up against each other in a particular setting and envirionment. I write a lot of stuff in my writeups so some of it may come off wrong or I might get lost a bit but the end point is usually obvious. GL

I hear ya bro......like i said i enjoy your write-ups week in and week out.....i disagree with you on this week....i like KY

GL

Keep the write-ups coming

Silverbull
Jimbo

Cut it out.

Now.

Look i never said anything to anybody in this board.....i was discussing somethinf with FLAVA in regards to his write-up and was rudly insulted by a child.....i dont have time for immature shit! some people on this board should GROW THE FUCK UP!

Look i never said anything to anybody in this board.....i was discussing somethinf with FLAVA in regards to his write-up and was rudly insulted by a child.....i dont have time for immature shit! some people on this board should GROW THE FUCK UP!

Listen, I understand your post you made to Flava. I agree with what you said and Mista retorted in a very classy manner. What I am getting at is the little bickering. I am not saying you did anything wrong but at the same point just ignore it and we'll take care of it.

:cheers:

Listen, I understand your post you made to Flava. I agree with what you said and Mista retorted in a very classy manner. What I am getting at is the little bickering. I am not saying you did anything wrong but at the same point just ignore it and we'll take care of it.

money8.gif

Another big winner tonight...pretty damn close to the actual scoreline once again. Congrats to all fellow winners...the train is picking up a full head of steam!

toast.gif

Back