Mississippi State vs Louisville Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Mississippi State vs Louisville: MUSIC CITY BOWL NCAAF Picks and Predictions

Mississippi State vs Louisville
Monday, December 30, 2019 at 4 p.m. ET (ESPN) at Nissan Stadium in Nashville Tennessee

Louisville’s Defensive Line

There is not a lot of meat along Louisville’s defensive line: the two starting ends average 254 pounds and the defensive tackle weighs 295 pounds.

It’s been a question of its opponent’s size: all six teams whose offensive linemen average 309 pounds easily exceeded its average rushing production.

Notre Dame exceeded its average rush yards per game by 52, Florida State by 13, Clemson by 59, Miami by 87, Syracuse by 106, and Kentucky by 260.

The Florida State, Clemson, and Notre Dame games stayed under the total.

Notre Dame and Clemson boast elite scoring defenses against which Louisville’s offense failed to score enough.

In the Florida State game, the total stayed under by two points thanks to three missed field goals and multiple turnovers deep in the opponent’s territory.

However, Miami, Syracuse, and Kentucky helped the game go over, thus generating a three-game „over“ streak when a big enough offensive line faces Louisville.

Mississippi State’s Rush Attack

Mississippi State’s offensive linemen bring tremendous size, averaging 333 pounds.

Its size has helped the run-blocking thrive according to advanced metrics.

Miss State ranks 31st in opportunity rate, 31st in power success rate, and 10th in stuff rate.

These rankings mean that Bulldog offensive linemen are great at making holes for their ball-carrier, great in third-and-short scenarios, and elite at keeping their ball-carrier from being stuffed at or behind the line of scrimmage.

Partly thanks to its offensive line, Mississippi State ranks 22nd in averaging 213 rush yards per game.

Another reason is Kylin Hill.

Before Hill departs for the NFL Draft, he sees an opportunity against Louisville to bolster his stock and distinguish himself from a large number of similarly reputed running backs.

On the season, he’s accrued 1,347 yards on 5.7 YPC, displaying his characteristic power and explosiveness as he aggressively seeks out contact.

His violence and physicality and his ability to stay low to the ground and keep his balance make him difficult for defenders to bring down.

Micale Cunningham vs Mississippi State

At quarterback, Micale Cunningham has been a positive find after the initial starter, Javon Pass, suffered a season-ending injury.

Cunningham is the ACC’s second-best quarterback in terms of passer rating thanks to his efficiency. He’s completing 61 percent of his passes while throwing 20 touchdowns to five interceptions.

Reliable both from the pocket and when he rolls outside of it, he’s taken advantage of weaker opposing pass defenses.

16 of his touchdowns came against the seven opponents that he faced that rank in the bottom half in passing yards allowed per game.

Except when it’s faced its worst opposing Power Five passing quarterbacks, Mississippi State has been terrible against the pass. Overall, it ranks 98th in opposing passer rating.

Guys like Kellen Mond and Bo Nix, who share Cunningham’s dual-threat ability, were able to have massive performances through the air with each quarterback passing for over 270 yards and over three touchdowns.

Like Mond and Nix, Cunningham can run. His speed is apparent when he gets to the outside. He also displays positive cut-back ability, good vision, and the patience to follow blockers.

Against Virginia, for example, he ran for 97 yards and he can also thrive against a Mississippi State defensive line that ranks in the lower half in terms of run defense and sack rate.

Javian Hawkins

Louisville’s running game brings balance to its offense.

The key is Javian Hawkins, who ran for 1,420 yards on 5.9 YPC. He averaged 6.5 YPC or more against all three opposing rush defenses faced that ranked outside the top 80 in opposing YPC.

His running ability helps open up the pass, thus helping the over to hit in all three games in which he averaged at least 6.5 YPC.

With his speed and big-play ability, he’ll succeed against a Bulldog front seven that has been pushed by smaller and weaker offensive lines after losing so much NFL talent in the offseason.

Overall, the Bulldogs rank 84th in opposing YPC.

Best Bet: Over 63 (-110) with Bookmaker

Most people hate betting unders and love playing overs. I'm the opposite. Seems like whenever I bet an over, just what I described in the FSU game happens lol. Zero interest in caring that this seems like a very public play.

Most people hate betting unders and love playing overs. I'm the opposite. Seems like whenever I bet an over, just what I described in the FSU game happens lol. Zero interest in caring that this seems like a very public play.

Im same . I feel pretty confident identifying lower scoring games. On other hand doesn’t matter how much I like a over, every other one I play is dead before halftime.

Great news. I love this over too so it prob be 7-3 at half. Then they will score 50 in the second just to rub it in!!

Don’t care about Mississippi st qb being out. Backup can’t be any worse can he? Didn’t plan on bulldogs throwing a pass anyways. Both should run all over, I think ville will connect on few big pass plays along with both teams breaking off big runs.

Yea both qbs have started and both are capable passing and ofc running, so I don‘t see it as a problem at all that one is out...prolly shoulda mentioned it but didn‘t care to (article is def long enough)

Bank i swear you don‘t need to tell me what you‘re betting cause it‘ll prolly be what I bet seems like we so often see things the same way. Except I love Yadi :D

Bank i swear you don‘t need to tell me what you‘re betting cause it‘ll prolly be what I bet seems like we so often see things the same way. Except I love Yadi :D

Certainly seems more so during these bowls than it was in regular season. Less to choose from I guess. Lol

This is exactly the bullshit i‘m talking about...nice and solid drive going then fumble deep in opponent‘s territory, thus having to start over after wasting time for nothing. Such garbage fuck this.

Louisville 260 yards at half lmao. Could easily have 14 more points

But fckn fumble borderline-at-best capricious holding call dropped pass all deeper in miss st territory. Hate this trash

Back