Misleading Final Scores From Week 9

TheDailyEdge

Pretty much a regular
I always like reading this thread, but didn't see one for week #9, so I figured I'd start one and see what everyone comes up with. Here are a few from our site this week:

Purdue 55, Nebraska 45
Purdue won the turnover category 5-0, which is usually a sign that the wrong team won a game. Nebraska had advantages in total yardage 484-457, yards-per-play 6.3 to 5.7, and third down conversions 58% to 47%. Pretty clear the Huskers would have won with even turnovers. Yet, it was still a horrible game for the Huskers in context because nobody should be in shootouts with Purdue! The anti-Nebraska conclusions you draw from the final score are correct…just be careful giving Purdue too much credit going forward. They probably won’t enjoy a 5-0 turnover advantage again.

Iowa 31, Maryland 15
This one finished close to the market expectations…so it’s easy to overlook. Iowa actually played pretty poorly here for a 17-point favorite. Yards-per-play was just 4.3 to 4.2 for the hosts…which is terrible against a bad team like Maryland. The Hawkeyes needed a 4/1 edge in turnovers and a 38% to 10% advantage in third downs to push the scoreboard margin up to where they still couldn’t cover. A flat performance hidden by opposition turnovers. That 4.3 to 4.2 mark in YPP is glaring if you’ve studied Maryland all season.

Stanford 30, Washington State 28
Tricky one here…because Washington State won total yardage 442-312 and missed what would have been the game winning field goal in the final seconds. Easy to think Stanford’s win was a gift if you only look at those two facts. Wazzou ran a lot more plays because of the nature of their offense (86-59). Yards-per-play actually went to Stanford 5.3 to 5.1. The Cardinal also won third down conversions 31% to 14%. Turnovers were even at 2-2. Those last few stats are consistent with Stanford squeezing out a nailbiter. This is why many handicappers prefer YPP over raw yardage as a storyteller. Definitely a flashback to Stanford’s season opener at Northwestern. This group has trouble bringing peak intensity 12 times a season. They’re a national power when focused. When not…they play nailbiters with teams like Northwestern and Washington State. This final score actually isn’t all that misleading. But, there was so much chatter about WSU’s yardage edge Saturday night that I wanted to include some context.

Tennessee 52, Kentucky 21
Goes on the list because Tennessee had a kickoff return TD, a punt return TD, and a 4-yard touchdown drive. They were the best team by a good bit…but scoreboard margin overstates the case. Tennessee won yardage 482-349, yards-per-play 7.0 to 5.4, and third down conversions 53% to 15%. Shade about 10-14 points off the margin to get a better sense of the two teams moving forward.

By the boxscore, I just don't know how Michigan won that game....outgained by 150+ yards and lose the TO battle 0-2, but manage to win

By the boxscore, I just don't know how Michigan won that game....outgained by 150+ yards and lose the TO battle 0-2, but manage to win

Indeed. Leidner had the game of his life.

Michigan dropped at least 3 INT's though too.

I suppose I could add Oregon/ASU since the Devils had a 742 to 501 advantage in total yards. However, they also ran 108 plays to Oregon's 69. ASU had 37 first downs to Oregon's 19, they were 14 of 23 on 3rd downs vs 3 of 14 for the Ducks .... and they absolutely crushed Oregon on the ground 344 to 186.

Of course this is all sour grapes since I am an ASU homer, but when the other team can't stop your running game, why are you throwing the football w/ 5 minutes to go in the game from midfield on first down?

I suppose I could add Oregon/ASU since the Devils had a 742 to 501 advantage in total yards. However, they also ran 108 plays to Oregon's 69. ASU had 37 first downs to Oregon's 19, they were 14 of 23 on 3rd downs vs 3 of 14 for the Ducks .... and they absolutely crushed Oregon on the ground 344 to 186.

Of course this is all sour grapes since I am an ASU homer, but when the other team can't stop your running game, why are you throwing the football w/ 5 minutes to go in the game from midfield on first down?

This game may well be the poster-child for misleading final scores. It has everything you would look for and the game was basically at a "pick the winner" spread. This is so much more misleading a final than anything in post #1.

For perspective ..

Which of these teams has the best offense through 8 weeks?

Team A : 15 First Downs per game and 283 yards per game
Team B : 16 First Downs per game and 258 yards per game
Team C : 18 First Downs per game and 241 yards per game
Team D : 16 First Downs per game and 278 yards per game

Now, if those are your season to date averages, which team has the worst offense? Team D would appear to be the clear choice for best of the bunch. Only five more yards per game than Team A but the extra first down is worth way more than five yards. Team C gets more first downs than the others but they are at 17 yards less than the nearest team and around 42 less than the most prolific in terms of yards. Can you guess each team?

Team A: Boston College year to date game average
Team B Central Florida year to date game average
Team C: The differential between Oregon and Arizona State
Team D: Missouri year to date game average

When you lose a game at an under a fg spread with differentials that match other team's season averages of total offense after two months of football, you have accomplished something.

That is amazing VK, well done comparison there.....and talk about two teams who couldn't stop each other especially in the 2H....

Back