Mise well cap this South Florida TT ...and game in general

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
First,

We all know what happened last week. USF ran all over Umass and meanwhile the Mass passed all over the Bulls. It was a game where the scoring seemingly never stopped until that last onside was recovered for a 58-42 win.

Rushing in that game was 41/365 to 34/85. With that being said, Umass finished the yardage battle only losing 574-486.

The Umass team is bad against the rush, allowing 297.00 ypg overall on nearly 49 carries. Teams pound at them, as they should.

You know who else isn't good at rush defense? Tulsa. They give up 241.00 ypg on around 42 carries.

South Florida was averaging a solid 185 ypg on the ground before last week which has inflated their total to almost 230 a game. South Florida doesn't go away from the run, they average 40 carries a game.

Tulsa is a team that holds the ball a bit more, at 31 mins a game and obviously runs the ball a lot. They average 50.8 attempts per game out of their 85.5 plays a game. That is a pretty high ratio. That also explains the T.O.P. Now, they do not exactly burn things up at 4.4 ypc but they are solid on the ground.

Even with the holding Umass to 85 yards last week, South Florida still gives up 218 yards per game at 4.7 yards per attempt.

Now, these teams played last year...

The score was 34-14 with 6:26 left in the third.

There were 142 total plays.

There were 26 total drives.

The final score was 34-28.

The final 5 USF drives:

9 plays/37 yards ends with an INT

9 plays/18 yards ends with a missed FG

3 plays/ (5) yards ends with a punt

9 plays/26 yards ends with a missed FG

6 plays/34 yards ends the game.

South Florida rushed 52 times for 378 yards.

I think that number was approx 36 for 310/320 before the 4th quarter where they just ran.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is pretty solid context, to start, so lets ask ourselves about tonight...

How is the weather?

Perfect

Will South Florida have enough plays/drives on offense to get to the 34' and above?

That is the great unknown

Last year should have soared over 35 points, right?

Yes, absolutely. I remember the game well.

Can Tulsa score enough to keep the pressure on?

Good question. I do think the USF defense is not great.

My initial thoughts are SF will have plenty of quick scores and should get into the thirties. The worry is a running clock but these teams seem to get plenty of drives in looking back at last years box and all of their boxes so far this year.

So, with that layed out...what else is everyone thinking? I wanted to start a discussion in the 90 minutes before as I know a Friday night card elicits a lot of bets on overs and TT's.

Look at what Tulsa put up against good d. I like over 26 too. Home, off 4 straight losses to good teams, in comes Charlie strong and overrated USF. I dont think so

Charlie Strong. THAT guy... How many times in the past has he come into a game with a team that should smash someone, and then...uh oh, here are in the 4th quarter and it's a close one jimmy!

I like how you are thinking this through.

The reason I started this is the USF talk started a little bit last night in the discussions so I wanted to dig in and get some talk both ways.

Sometimes, you see a name, number whatever and think it is an auto-bet.

You got take in the full spectrum of things...

The big contrast here is the YPP

USF is averaging 6.7 (15th in country out of 130)

Tulsa is averaging 4.4 (122nd in country out of 130)

If Tulsa can up that to around 5 and get USF slightly lower with controlling the clock, then they will be right in it. Right?

I'm trying to cap this game right now. Here's some additional info:

Weather has been light rain on and off all day, but no wind and only drizzle expected tonight.

Neither team can stop the run. Tulsa is 110 in rushing D, USF 114. Tulsa is 68th in total D, USF 98. Both teams run the ball the same, Tulsa 37 in rushing, USF 32, but Tulsa has not been able to throw the ball all year with the QB they started the season with.

Tulsa starts a freshman QB who made his first start against Houston with mixed results, but better than the guy they had been starting. Tulsa lost the RB who started against Houston and he may or may not play tonight, but get their #1 RB back who has been out several games.

Line has been going up all day and is now at USF -9x. I expect to see 10 any minute. I'm waiting on the 10, but if not I'll take the 9x.

I wouldn't bet either team normally, but since it is a Friday night game with nothing else going in that time slot I'll put something down.

Back