Minnesota vs. New York Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Timberwolves vs. Knicks NBA Picks for January 18

Minnesota Timberwolves vs. New York Knicks
Tuesday, January 18, 2022 at 7:30 p.m. ET at Madison Square Garden in New York

Three-Pointers and More Three-Pointers

Literally no team likes to chuck three-pointers more than Minnesota.

The Timberwolves average the most three-point attempts per game. They average .9 more three-point attempts per game than the team ranked second-highest in the category.

When they do well on offense, three-pointers will play a big role in that success.

When they beat Golden State in their last game, for example, they scored 119 points with 16 threes.

Some teams that depend more heavily on threes find themselves at a stronger disadvantage in road games because they have to shoot in a venue that is foreign to them.

But Minnesota is not such a team. From behind the arc, the Timberwolves are actually more efficient in road games than in home games.

Knicks' Perimeter Defense

Given Minnesota's obvious proclivity to attempt three-pointers, it is decisive to assess New York's perimeter defense.

The Knicks would match up strongly against the Minnesota offense if they were good at defending threes.

But they're not. Perimeter defense has been an explicit problem for New York throughout the season.

Two issues with New York's perimeter defense -- and, indeed, with its defense in general -- are the inconsistency of its help defense and the shortcomings of its defensive rotations.

These two issues contribute to two important statistics: one, the Knicks rank 24th in limiting three-point attempts.

Two, they allow the fifth-highest frequency of wide-open three-point attempts.

These two statistics indicate that the Knicks are bad at running teams off the three-point line and that they are bad at contesting opposing three-point attempts.

Given these statistics and the on-court issues from which they derive, we should expect the Timberwolves to get what they from behind the arc.

Key Players

Several Minnesota players really want to flourish from behind the arc in order to have a good game.

Five different ones attempt at least four threes per game.

As a center, Karl-Anthony Towns helps stretch the floor with his 41.1-percent conversion rate from behind the arc.

His floor-spacing ability opens up more opportunities for teammates inside the arc.

Guys like Anthony Edwards with his highlight-reel dunks and D'Angelo Russell have more space to attack the rim and generally to operate inside thanks to the shooting of men like Towns.

Of course, both Edwards and Russell also love to shoot threes and both guys have been superb in January. Each player is converting over 42-percent of his three-point opportunities this month.

Knick Offense

Offensively, New York's biggest thing is the pick-and-roll for the ball-handler.

The Knicks execute this play type with the fifth-highest frequency.

Several Knick ball-handlers will execute this play type. So the Knick offense will revolve heavily around ball-screens no matter who is injured.

But it is worth noting that Kemba Walker remains bothered by soreness in his left knee.

As a result of this injury, he has been unable to play in a game since logging 20 minutes on December 29 against Detroit.

It is true that Walker had been booted from the rotation. But his injury is important to note because, before it, he had returned to the starting lineup.

In terms of his fit in the offense, he is important to New York's ball-screen heavy offense because he averages more than three points per game on the pick-and-roll for the ball-handler play type than any other Knick player.

Without Walker -- or at least with him limited by this injury -- the Knicks lose their top player for their favorite play type.

Minnesota's Ball-Screen Defense

With or without Walker, New York's offense matches up poorly against the Minnesota defense because of the latter's unique effectiveness against the Knicks' favorite play type.

This effectiveness is evident in the following statistic: Minnesota allows the third-fewest points per game against the pick-and-roll for the ball-handler play type.

This year, the Timberwolves are having the big remain at the level of the screen in order to increase their ball pressure.

By having the big pressure the ball-handler, the screened defender is more easily able to recover to his man, which means that the big ends up having an easier task.

In other words, Minnesota's ball-screen defense is so successful because the big and the screened defender are doing more to help each other out.

Best Bet: Timberwolves ATS (Odds TBA)

I just watched Knicks get straight destroyed by bridges and Charlotte, didht see any sign of perimeter d which odd since I thought Tibs preached defense! That would be my only concern is maybe they put more effort into that after being embarrassed? Beats me. I’m pretty sure I’ll be hitting Edwards and Russell 3 point props.

I just watched Knicks get straight destroyed by bridges and Charlotte, didht see any sign of perimeter d which odd since I thought Tibs preached defense! That would be my only concern is maybe they put more effort into that after being embarrassed? Beats me. I’m pretty sure I’ll be hitting Edwards and Russell 3 point props.
What would you do if those props were to hit you back?

Maybe it was the early start maybe not but terrible effort from my Knicks yesterday. As bad as the d was they only gave up 97 points but we’re horrid from the floor. The only positive was their rebounding. Kemba was questionable and ended up sitting, maybe bc of the b2b and they were choosing to play him vs wolves. I’ll be on RJ props most likely and towns prob has a big game too

What would you do if those props were to hit you back?

The entire nba card i bet mlk day punched me square in the mouth!! I’ll tell you a secret to being a bad mofo, it ain’t just having the right hand to knock someone out in a flash from any angle, it having a big ol moose head and a sick enjoyment of feeling some pain that makes you capable of walking through a few punches, a pool stick upside the head, or whatever it may be you get hit with!!

When I get hit back it just makes me swing harder.

Edwards is eating this team up right now
Team for the first time I can remember has a very good nucleus if they keep them together, need some depth

Considering how much talk there had been for a couple years about moving KAT I can't imagine that's in the cards now

Edwards is eating this team up right now

I wasn’t real sure bout him out of college, seemed too bulky muscle, good look not exactly nba guard tho. For jacking as many he does at pretty decent clip his shot not exactly pretty either. His arms and shoulders don’t seem quite as big now, more nba body I think.

Back