Minnesota - Memphis: IS IT POSSIBLE WE WERE THIS CARELESS? Or am I tripping

Satyr

Paster of Muppets
A member from another board just informed me that Minny WILL clinch top 10 in the league in the losses category with a win here as well.

Ok then, I checked it. How can Minny NOT be in top 10 when losses are concerned, if they beat Memphis.

now when I'm looking at it, they can (theoretically) top these teams:

Sacramento 33-48
Portland 32-49
Seattle 31-50
Memphis 21-60
Charlotte 33-48
New York 32-49
Atlanta 30-52
Milwaukee 28-53
Boston 24-57

meaning they would end up 10th. But still, I'm hoping they'll stick in tank mode and after all, the Grizzlies are nearing -1,5 now at Pinnacle, so there must be another catch in this Clippers deal? Or did I miscalculate?

Anyone? :D

P.S. If it's really a hoax, and we all fell for the wrong thing, then why are the Grizz heading to -1,5 at Pinny now :D

:pillow: :pillow: :pillow: :pillow: :pillow: :pillow:

Yo whats up? I dont know anything about the situation. But I know Memphis is the worst team in the NBA. And quite possibly one of the worst teams in the last 5 yrs. And tonight, I'm seeing 100's of Memphis bets appearing in a few different betting forums.

GL w/ whatever your pick is.

well I probably took one or two bets on them the entire season, and now I decide to bet them? I'm not that sharp :D.

Come on you know me better. I only did it for the purpose of that deal, seeing Minny in tank mode and thinking how they need to lose tonight as well to seal the deal, was actually wrong, from what I'm seeing now.

I'm waiting for someone to tell me I calculated something wrongly and how they need to lose after all.

:D

you know when in cartoons the big bad wolf gets screwed and his face turns into a jackass'es face for a sec, with the lollipop sign "SUCKER" above him?

Yup, now I know the feeling :D.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it top 10 pick? Not 10 worst teams? So wouldn't Minnesota want to lose no matter what as the lower they are the better chance they have of getting a top 10 pick?

per yahoo:
The Timberwolves enter this matchup on a six-game losing streak, a big reason why they may get to keep their first-round draft pick. The selection will go to the Los Angeles Clippers if it isn't among the top 10, but Minnesota has a good shot to end up that high in the draft lottery because the current skid has dropped it into a tie for the NBA's sixth-worst record.

Isn't it a draft lottery? They could end up with the #1 pick if they get lucky. Win or lose tonight, their pick # is still determined by a lottery.

hmm...but it seems A LOT of us here misinterpreted it, I for one read IC's post, since I trust the guy and don't need to doublecheck what he said every single time, and he wrote "top 10 in losses".

It seems the truth is similar.

:shake:

I'm not really sure, but my bets are already in, so I'm just gonna ignore the details and root root root for the grizzlies...

The line is tanking because it's clear Minny has given up... and lottery %'s ARE on the line tonight... see others posts. Plus Mchale is a shiesty motherfucker whose only chance to save his job is to package KG for a stud (Bynum/Walton/Picks) and land a top 10 pick to build around Foye.

The bottom 14 teams qualify for the lottery. ANY of those teams can finish in any spot. So, win or lose tonight, Minny could finish anywhere from the 1-14 pick.

The bottom 14 teams qualify for the lottery. ANY of those teams can finish in any spot. So, win or lose tonight, Minny could finish anywhere from the 1-14 pick.

Incorrect... only the first 3 spots are determined by the lottery, 4-14 are determined by their loss position.

So if they finish with the 8th worst record they could have the 1, 2, 3, 8, 9-11 (if 1 to 3 teams jump up to the top 3 spots).

So if they finish with the 6th or 7th worse record they're guaranteed a top 10 pick.

The thing is that if Minny wins this one they are 9th worst record.
Lottery says that top 3 picks are drawn and then next ones are arranged by the record. This mean, that if for example 10-14 record gets 2 of those 3 picks then Minny is left with 11th pick and lose it (of course chance is low, but do they really want to risk their pick even on the smallest chance?).
If they lose they have (at least) 7th worst record and that means that lowest they can get is 10th pick and securing the pick in the first round.

All in all - the question is - does Minny want to take chances or not with one of the deepest NBA Rookie classes ever when they are in great need for some spark?

What's the first tie-breaker for the lottery??? Without the tie-breaker there are only 4 teams that the T-Wolves definetly can't catch in the lottery (Mem, Bos, Mil, ATL). After that there is NY, Minny, Portland all at 32-49 .. and Seattle is at 31-50 all fighting for the 5th spot.. So, assuming Minny wins a couple of those tie-breakers, this game is huge to lose. It's not just like they're moving up one spot with a loss.

It will be very tricky there because minny can end up 5th and with 8.8% in lottery and also can slip to 9th and have 1.7% in the lottery.

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="tbBasis"><td valign="top">a. Two Teams</td> <td valign="top">b. More Than Two Teams Tied</td> </tr> <tr class="tbBasis"> <td valign="top">(1) Better winning percentage in games against each other.</td> <td valign="top">(1) Better winning percentage in all games among the tied teams.</td> </tr> <tr class="tbBasis"> <td valign="top">(2) Better winning percentage against teams in own division (only if tied teams are in same division).</td> <td valign="top">(2) Better winning percentage against teams in own division (only if all tied teams are in the same division).</td> </tr> <tr class="tbBasis"> <td valign="top">(3) Better winning percentage against teams in own conference.</td> <td valign="top">(3) Better winning percentage against teams in own conference.</td> </tr> <tr class="tbBasis"> <td valign="top">(4) Better winning percentage against teams eligible for playoffs in own conference (including teams that finished the regular season tied for a playoff position).</td> <td valign="top">(4) Better winning percentage against teams eligible for playoffs in own conference (including teams that finished the regular season tied for a playoff position).</td> </tr> <tr class="tbBasis"> <td valign="top">(5) Better winning percentage against teams eligible for playoffs in opposite conference (including teams that finished the regular season tied for a playoff position).</td> <td valign="top">(5) Better net result of total points scored less total points allowed against all opponents (“point differential”).</td> </tr> <tr class="tbBasis"> <td valign="top">(6) Better net result of total points scored less total points allowed against all opponents (“point differential”).</td></tr></tbody></table>

Back