Minnesota/Florida Atlantic

counselor

President of Fondy Fanclub
I'm not a capper. The games I don't flat out tail, I play on pure gut instinct, so take this for what it's worth.

I posted this in Fondy's latest thread already:

Howard Schnellenberger won a national championship at Miami before Jimmy got there. He made Louisville relevant and built that program from the ground up. He has to be considered one of the great coaches in college football. It doesn’t take him years to build a program. He’s a no-excuse, get-it-done right now coach. They play in the Sun Belt. Not a juggernaut of a conference, although Troy and MTSU could be considered up-and-comers. However, looking at their non-conference schedule should tell you all you need to know about the guy’s mind frame:

Minnesota
Kentucky
South Florida
Florida

The first game of the season FAU played Middle Tennessee St. and DOMINATED them 27-14, the defense giving up all 14 in the 4<SUP>th</SUP> quarter. This is the same MTSU that gave Louisville all they wanted last Thursday night. Although he’s not getting the blue-chippers Miami, Florida, FSU, South Florida or Central Florida might be getting, he’s still been able to tap into that deep Florida talent pool and has the horses to compete– if not win– now. This is just the third year FAU has played DI-A ball, so they are going to consider this game a HUGE statement game. Knowing Schnellenberger, he’s going to have that team ready to battle.

I’ll do some more research, but I believe FAU will torch Minnesota’s defense, especially that really suspect secondary of the Gophers.

I'd be interested to hear anyone's take on this game...

I don't think if FAU told me before the game that they did not plan to show up to the stadium for the game that I would lay -9 on the road with Minnesota.

i watched FAU live in stillwater last week.
Pokes first score was off an int.
FAU had a decent offense bottled up until new QB came into game.
Punter is a stud at flipping the field.
Very nice team, game just got away from them.

Love your play

Although he’s not getting the blue-chippers Miami, Florida, FSU, South Florida or Central Florida might be getting, he’s still been able to tap into that deep Florida talent pool and has the horses to compete

I said that last year. I live in Florida and I've seen some great talent not make it into UF, FSU, for various reasons including scholastic under achievments only to be scooped up by FAU and FSU. These guys are building a great football program so definitely keep an eye out for that old coot Schnellenberger.

their safety acevedo could play for anyone

here's a quote from him after the game.

In the end, the contest turned into another of Schnellenberger's "advanced training" education by brutal defeat for the Owls.

"I don't like that word at all, advanced training. That's my head coach and I love him to death but that is bullshit. I want to beat OSU, I want to beat UF and Kentucky," said Acevedo, who recorded his second interception of the season late in the game.

FAU with the points i never even considered it...although it does make sense that they are very competitive given that they recruit in the top recruiting talent pool in the US.

Good thread

Back