Milwaukee vs Cleveland Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Kluber and Tribe in Bounce-Back Mode in Milwaukee

Milwaukee hosts Cleveland for a two-game inter-league series on Tuesday at 7:40 ET. Both teams are coming off embarrassing defeats. Which one has the guts to bounce back?

Cleveland Indians (17-17) at Milwaukee Brewers (20-15)

MLB Pick: Cleveland RL

Trends are indicative of how teams and players respond to certain circumstances. Coming off a series sweep against the Yankees, the Indians are primed to bounce back. After a three-game losing streak, the Indians’ RL has hit seven consecutive times and is 7-1 since last season. The ML hit each of those times. Milwaukee, too, is coming off a poor performance. Contrary to Cleveland, no positive trend exists for the Brewers after suffering a shutout loss.

Cleveland ace and 2017 CY Young Award winner Corey Kluber (5-1, 2.41 ERA) is coming off a complacent start in which he allowed three home runs. The Indians’ lineup dominated from start to finish. So Kluber could afford to be lax especially without runners on base and every homer that he allowed was a solo shot. After taking such a shot to his pride, Kluber tends to buckle down in his next outing. He can also produce an uptick in velocity after not having to throw so hard in an easy win. Kluber has won four out of his last five starts after allowing multiple homers with an FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) under 2.00 in three of them. Additionally, he is 10-0 in his last 12 starts after allowing multiple runs, yielding an FIP under 2.50 in six of those starts. So in addition to being a strong RL play, Cleveland is also a worthwhile addition to your ML parlays.

Despite already being dominant, Kluber is finding ways to improve. For example, he eliminated much of the vertical movement in his slider so that it is less easy for batters to track and has more „slide.“ Its opposing BA is down .19 from last season and its opposing slugging is down .06. He also added more „cut“ to his cutter so that opponents are batting a career-low .186 against it. His drop this year in vertical release point makes his pitches harder to see and hit for right-handed batters, which spells trouble for most of Milwaukee’s everyday hitters.

Wade Miley (1-0, 1.50 ERA) counters for Milwaukee in his second start of the season following a groin injury that he suffered during Spring Training. Miley was dumped by Baltimore after producing a career-worst 5.32 walks-per-nine-innings rate last season. In his last month with the team, he walked three or more batters in three of five starts—including a three-walk performance against Cleveland, in which he allowed four runs in 5.2 innings and took the ‚L.' The wild fluctuations in the vertical release points of his pitches indicated mechanical problems. In walking one batter every two innings in his debut start with Milwaukee against the lowly Reds, he has yet to show the desired improvement in command.

Despite its recent hot streak, the Indians’ lineup is still one of the most underachieving in baseball per the metric BA minus xBA (expected batting average). But Cleveland hitters won’t even need much upside against Miley, against whom they are hitting .308 and slugging .577 in 104 career at-bats. Look out especially for Edwin Encarnacion, who is 7-for-16 with two doubles and three homers against Miley. Since 2017, he is slugging an insane .658 against the fastball and cutter, Miley’s two primary pitches, from left-handed pitchers. Moreover, Francisco Lindor has a nine-game hitting streak and is 4-for-9 with two doubles against Miley.

The Brewers will fail to threaten the concentrated Kluber and Indians lineup tonight.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They better get going pretty quick. That is just a horrid start in such a poor division.

Good stat on the RL there.

I really wanted to make a historical pun with beer and Indians at the end but I suppose its a good thing that it wasn‘t noticeable

Milwaukee's relievers rank second in baseball with a 2.59 ERA this season, with 150 strikeouts in 128 2/3 innings. In the last 10 games, the bullpen has a 2.97 ERA -- even after Jacob Barnes and Jorge Lopez combined to allow three runs Sunday in a 9-0 loss to Pittsburgh.
The starters have a 4.26 ERA during that stretch, but that number is also inflated because of rough outings by Junior Guerra and Chase Anderson during the weekend. Take out the 10 runs they allowed in 10 1/3 combined innings and the rotation has a 3.16 ERA in the last 10 games.
Kluber, will be trying to extend his five-game winning streak. He has a 2.41 ERA and has held opposing batters to a .173 batting average during that stretch, striking out 39 with only six walks in 37 1/3 innings.
Left-hander Wade Miley will try to continue Milwaukee's run of strong pitching as he takes the mound for the second time this season. The veteran was on track to for a starting spot with a strong showing in spring training but was sidelined by a groin injury.

Imo its a positive feedback loop. Starters perform better then bullpen gets used less, more selectively and therefore more effectively. So bullpen numbers also somewhat deflated

Where in the h*ll do you get your info? Saying this is a “nice write-up” is an understatement.

Thanks I appreciate it.

Schedule analysis by using espn‘s schedule/results overview

I mine fangraphs, brooksbaseball and statcast for the deeper data. These three sites are very dense with info.

Baseballreference for splits

Dailybaseball for lineup vs pitcher

If necessary, rotogrinder for ballpark splits and fangraphs for bullpen data

I think that‘s it

Always informative, many thanks. Sold me on the RL stat. Quick glance at last 10 games stats and tribe hitting .302 against lefties. I hear what you're saying about pens, but I do worry about how well brew has been and poor tribe have been. Scares me with full game bet. I played 1H RL, hope we both hit. Thx again!

I came into the game looking to bet against Cleveland also figuring that‘d be contrarian but yea those trends got me too lol BOL

I guess the line movement was sharp :( The drop was pretty insane. Perhaps they knew Miley would exit early and Suter would come and be ridiculous. Damn :(

Can’t cap stuff like Miley throwing .1 inning. Kluber certainly pitched well enough for us to get this one, just Miley getting hurt and Suter pitching well cost us

This is the friggin second time it happened to me. Happened to me last year with Miley as well. Vs White Sox who literally „hit“ him out of the game! :(

This is the friggin second time it happened to me. Happened to me last year with Miley as well. Vs White Sox who literally „hit“ him out of the game! :(

Lol. I was on the one last year, forget if I was playing side or fading him by playing over? Just remember being pissed cause he left the game! Lol

It’s been a bad week for me. Lost this one w Miley leaving early, and a tennis parlay with a favorite coasting before getting hurt and eventually retiring. What can you do? Lol

Back