Milledge to the Nats

deuce's wild

Pretty much a regular
Just announced on Fox Sports, Milledge to the Nationals for OF Ryan Church & C Brian Schneider.

Early reports saying Twins/Orioles along with other teams just did not have much interest in Milledge, so Omar went after the best deal he could get for the 23 yr old OF.

Time will tell what happens next but this is not what was expected for Milledge at all. Now the Mets have 3 catchers on the roster, wtf is going on Omar?

Talk about selling low, but Schneider is decent I guess...

Still, Minaya badly misplayed his hand on Milledge...

Wow they got him cheap... really cheap... why couldn't the Brewers get him instead of Moto by trading an outfielder there too (Gabe Gross?)

The mets have traded another one of there 'golden childs'. I hope this move ranks up there with Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano.....

:36_11_6:

Wow they got him cheap... really cheap... why couldn't the Brewers get him instead of Moto by trading an outfielder there too (Gabe Gross?)

I still cannot believe Omar pulled that trade off, Moto was awful last year probably due to not being on roids anymore, however I have no clue what he is thinking with having 3 catchers on the staff now. Something has to be in the works.

Some quotes from Omar regarding the trade:

He checked around with other clubs, and, from what he can tell, trading Milledge will not impact whether or not he can acquire a starting pitcher from another club. Milledge did not fall out of demand, it’s just that the Mets have many other desired players to complete a deal. He had a very close, personal relationship with Milledge, and it was very difficult, emotionally, to trade him.

He does not feel Milledge’s value has changed much in the last 12 months, though he is sure he’d have been worth more had he come up last year and hit more. Either way, he is very happy to get two good players.
He has always felt he needed to acquire a catcher like Schneider, who is ‘big on defensive.’ These two players give the team balance, on both sides of the ball.

Church allows them to essentially go ‘with two center fielders.’ As of now, he views Church as an every-day, starting right fielder at the start of next year, who is under control for four years, whereas Milledge is still developing, and under control for five years.
Milledge would not have been guaranteed a starting job this coming spring training, though he is very confident he will eventually develop in to a very good player.

His goal is to win a championship, and this trade helps make them better offensively and defensively.

Not when your team is signing cast off pirate pitchers like Shane Youman...hehe

n37800166_30662132_3960.jpg

Back