Mike Malone fired from Sacramento Kings

a bit..but after reading some articles..the owner didnt seem to like the coach and his style...the owner wants them to play at a faster pace.....probably not going to get it with Corbin as the interim but this basically allows the team to do a full search with out looking like douches..
maybe a George Karl style.....also anyone can be traded as of today, so now the gm can do his own thing without worrying about the coaches thoughts (not that he would) but just one less thing to worry about...

I never could understand it. You don't like the coach, fire him. What is the point to give him a chance and then fire him, for reasons that aren't his fault.
Kings without Cousins have very poor record and last season it was the same (even worse) and without Cousins, this is really a very shitty team...

Report: Kings will use version of cherry-picker strategy

Remember when Kings owner Vivek Ranadivé proposed using a cherry-picker and playing defense four-on-five?
Well, if you thought that was crazy, Ranadivé will show you.

He just fired Michael Malone, who was doing a heck of a job so far this season.
Suddenly, the cherry-picker doesn’t seem quite so crazy by comparison.
While everyone else is freaking out about Malone’s dismissal, the Kings are plotting their strategy with interim coach Tyron Corbin.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports
:
The owner played the part of a fantasy league owner, treating the Kings like a science experiment. He shared tactical experiences with Malone about coaching his child’s youth team, and pressed him to consider playing four-on-five defense, leaking out a defender for cherry-picking baskets. Some semblance of that strategy is expected to be employed with Corbin now, a source told Yahoo Sports.

It’s happening!

I wonder what “some semblance” means here, though. This is not a style you play halfway. To get the best results, you commit fully while you’re employing it.
And Corbin is spot-on to try this. He knows how to keep a job. As the Kings line up replacement candidates, now is the time to adopt the exact playbook the owner uses with his kid’s team. Now is the time to do whatever the owner wants.

Report: Kings will use version of cherry-picker strategy

Remember when Kings owner Vivek Ranadivé proposed using a cherry-picker and playing defense four-on-five?
Well, if you thought that was crazy, Ranadivé will show you.

He just fired Michael Malone, who was doing a heck of a job so far this season.
Suddenly, the cherry-picker doesn’t seem quite so crazy by comparison.
While everyone else is freaking out about Malone’s dismissal, the Kings are plotting their strategy with interim coach Tyron Corbin.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports
:
The owner played the part of a fantasy league owner, treating the Kings like a science experiment. He shared tactical experiences with Malone about coaching his child’s youth team, and pressed him to consider playing four-on-five defense, leaking out a defender for cherry-picking baskets. Some semblance of that strategy is expected to be employed with Corbin now, a source told Yahoo Sports.

It’s happening!

I wonder what “some semblance” means here, though. This is not a style you play halfway. To get the best results, you commit fully while you’re employing it.
And Corbin is spot-on to try this. He knows how to keep a job. As the Kings line up replacement candidates, now is the time to adopt the exact playbook the owner uses with his kid’s team. Now is the time to do whatever the owner wants.

Not saying it's a good idea, but it's kind of funny how resistant teams at the pro level are to trying something new - I mean, when's the last time you saw an NBA team institute a full court press? And off the top of my head, I can only think of a few attempts during my lifetime to try something different: 7 seconds or less, the triangle (which is clearly being discredited this season as something that won't work unless you have 2 HOF'ers in your lineup), and the Mavs in the mid-90's with the three J's when Dick Motta had them do nothing but take 3's (down by 10 one second, up by 2 a minute later - that was crazy).

As for Malone, obviously got a raw deal, but the Kings haven't exactly made great personnel decisions the past few seasons (drafting Jimmer, drafting McLemore, trading for Yag). Plus, if the objective was to play faster, why let Isaiah go?

Wondered about the press myself.

My guess is that most teams would have a guy that could essentially outrun the press and at this level each team has multiple guys who can handle the ball. The risk outweighs it as there would be a lot of easy uncontested dunks.. Just a guess

The only problem with the press is that if it became an effective defensive strategy, it would immediately be outlawed by the NBA

Wondered about the press myself.

My guess is that most teams would have a guy that could essentially outrun the press and at this level each team has multiple guys who can handle the ball. The risk outweighs it as there would be a lot of easy uncontested dunks.. Just a guess
Good ball handlers yes, bad decision makers lots and lots. Plus, I suppose it's a lot easier to get a bunch of college kids to buy into it - just imagine Carmelo Anthony saying "Fuck that..." At the same time, you see how effective the neutral zone trap was for the Devils in the NHL, be kind of interesting to see something like that at the NBA level (boring, but interesting).

Not saying it's a good idea, but it's kind of funny how resistant teams at the pro level are to trying something new - I mean, when's the last time you saw an NBA team institute a full court press? And off the top of my head, I can only think of a few attempts during my lifetime to try something different: 7 seconds or less, the triangle (which is clearly being discredited this season as something that won't work unless you have 2 HOF'ers in your lineup), and the Mavs in the mid-90's with the three J's when Dick Motta had them do nothing but take 3's (down by 10 one second, up by 2 a minute later - that was crazy).

As for Malone, obviously got a raw deal, but the Kings haven't exactly made great personnel decisions the past few seasons (drafting Jimmer, drafting McLemore, trading for Yag). Plus, if the objective was to play faster, why let Isaiah go?

Rick pitino when he was coach of the Celtics was the only time i remember..

FO and owner wanted to trade for Josh smith but mALONE thought that wouldnt work with Yag and Cousins already in the frontcourt. Ridiculous!
Kingz really going to be wasting an MVP season from DMC.

Anyone hear anything about other coaches being in an uproar over this, quietly albeit?

Supposedly, there was some issue with Mark Jackson being on a broadcast(who is repped by LeBron's agent I think), etc....

I didn't get the whole gist, but sounded like the coaches fraternity was NOT cool with this at all...

Back