Midnight EST Saturday Degenerate Special: UNLV at Hawaii......

Hawaiiguy

Big Kahuna
Notes:

- If you bet on this and are not out partying/with friends on a Saturday Night, you truly are a degenerate and have no life.

- Hawaii started out disastrously at Alabama, dropping numerous wide open passes that would have resulted in drive sustaining first downs, and fumbling several balls, including one that bounced off our punter's head into the endzone resulting in a Safety and following FG. They also elected not to kick a FG at the end of the first half that would have made it a very manageable 15-6....

- How well did Hawaii bounce back in the second half? Hawaii poured in 275 yards and scored twice, and had a pass intercepted in the end zone on the final play of the game for a potentially tieing score. Total yards, first downs, thir down efficiency were all even with Alabama.....Hawaii was penalized 11 times to 5 for Alabama....

- Hawaii is reknown for TERRIBLE rush defense....however, Hawaii's front 7 is solid. Alabama was held to 125 yards on 36 carries, and Kenneth Darby was held to 25 yards on 16 carries, totals i think any SEC team playing Alabama would love to have. Hawaii has platoons of big Hawaiians and Samoans manning the line, and stud mainland linebackers corp backing them up (Elmimian (although out this week), Leonard)...on the flip side, and this could be painful in pass happy WAC play.......UH has no experience in the secondary and they looked horrible against John Parker Wilson and his lame duck passes.....not only did they look smaller and slower, but they were terribly out of position on nearly every pass play.....

- Colt Brennan vs Colt McCoy in the Big 12 Title Game?? ah, what could have been.... Just how good is Colorado transfer and UH All-American Candidate QB Colt Brennan? In Brennan's first year last year (4,300 yards/35/13), his QB rating of 155.5 was 20 points higher than Timmy Chang's Best and Sixth Year
surprised.gif
....Seriously though, if you have a chance, check this guy out, he is a stud......Dan Hawkins and Colorado are wishing they had this kid back right about now (so what if he is a convicted felon
an_razz.gif
).....

My Pick and Reason Why:

Small play, 90% of my plays are based on actually watching the opposing team play and not just numbers, and in this case, I have not seen UNLV play.....

Over 58

- The nervousness exhibited by Hawaii at Tuscaloosa in the first half will be gone here.....our All-American receivers (Bess, Mullins, Rivers) will not drop as many passes, our two running backs won't commit the same terrible fumbles......The offensive roll Hawaii exhibited in the second half at Alabama will continue here in my opinion......I know how good UNLV's revamped, loaded with big college transfers defense is.......but Hawaii moves and scores on anybody......think 275 yards on Alabama in a half is a lot? Hawaii could post 40 points and 500 yards here off of full TWO weeks of rest......especially against a tired UNLV defense having just played Iowa State and on a horrendous travel schedule......

- If UNLV's Matt Leinhart backup, Norm Chow disciple, USC transfer, all-world QB Rocky Hinds was not out, I would call this an easy over (got a lot of friends in Vegas, and they said Hinds will be on everyone's radar soon)......however, his backup is very serviceable.....I saw prior year starter UNLV QB Shane Steichen play, he can put up points......

- UNLV has an excellent receiving corp (Wolfe 9catches/190 yards/ 2TD) (Flair 13 catches, 126yards), and heralded Straiten. Like I noted above, Hawaii secondary is inexperienced and looked pretty bad......UNLV will exploit this and get some points against it......UNLV also has an EXCELLENT pass catching RB in Jackson.....

- I really like this: From UNLV HC Samford (USC assistant before) on why they always went for it on do many 4th downs against Iowa State, "We, philosophically, are going to be different than most normal football teams," Sanford said. "We're going to go for it on fourth down more than most people do, and we're going to be a very aggressive team. "It's a very non-NFL, very nonclose-to-the-vest mentality ¦ but I want to be on the cutting edge as far as being aggressive. We're not going to be the No Fun League." UNLV will play desperate imo against Hawaii and get their points.......

- Also, as a kicker, here are the point totals of Hawaii's home games last year (THANK YOU ABCS-THE LEGEND FOR THIS STAT) : 80, 85, 77, 40, 73, 65, 84

Hawaii 42 UNLV 30

Over 58 440 to win 400

Good luck in whatever you play.....:spank:

HawaiiGuy,

Always respected your thread about your bows, I'm coattailing this one with you!!!!

Thanks bro!!!!!

:smiley_acbe:

thanks a lot bro! gl!...I love betting these games and If I am out I refresh my phone every 5 seconds..it seems like that's how often there is a score.

Hawaiiguy,

my brother from another mother...excellent write-up here...I agree first of all with your comment on Sanford...I think he's an excellent coach...I watched most of UNLV's game last week with ISU and was very impressed with his playcalling and the way he even used his timeouts...I think he will build a solid program at UNLV...

I can tell you though, that the team has much more confidence in Hinds...Stechein, while more mobile, does not display the same moxy as does Hinds...I was pleasantly surprised with the play of Hawaii's front seven as well, especially on the mainland...RB Jackson is very young and should get some yards, but it will be put on Stechein to keep them in this one...

I think one of the most frustrating things about playing Hawaii in Hawaii (among many things), is that it's very difficult to play from behind...UNLV appears to play ball control football, west coast offense...yes, they may go for it more on fourth down, but if there is any coach in America that will make you pay, it's June Jones (with all due respect to Pete Carroll and Charlie Weiss)...

I'm not a totals guy, but I see this one being a little bit more low scoring, especially in the first half...I do think Hawaii wears them down...and you are also right about Brennan...if he was playing on national TV every Saturday, there's no doubt in my mind he'd be a top 10 Heisman candidate (which he still may be)...

you betcha, I'll have my degenerate ass watching this one...best of luck to you, Hawaiiguy...

No problem for this stat. Im usually at the bar or passed out somewhere and never get to watch these late games. But Good luck.

I think Rocky Hinds the stud transfer qb transfer from USC is out.. Not sure what that means with the total.

I will be getting into Vegas late tonight, BUT will be getting there in time for this kickoff.

Thanks for the action, I'll be coattailing!

Back