Michigan vs. Michigan State Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Michigan vs. Michigan State College Football Week 9 Expert Picks

Michigan Wolverines vs. Michigan State Spartans
Saturday, October 30, 2021 at noon ET (FOX) at Spartan Stadium in East Lansing, Michigan

The Importance of Kenneth Walker

Much of the impetus behind Michigan State's surprisingly successful season has come from Kenneth Walker who has amassed 997 rushing yards and nine rushing touchdowns on 6.6 YPC.

Characteristically, Walker is strong and tough to bring down. But he also enjoys sufficient burst to run away for a big play.

Michigan State does not possess a quarterback who can carry a team by himself. Therefore, the Spartans like to feed Walker as much as possible.

Walker has failed to reach five YPC in two contests: against Indiana and Nebraska he accrued 3.7 YPC and 3.2 YPC, respectively.

Unsurprisingly, the Indiana and Nebraska games were Michigan State's closest calls this season with the Spartans needing overtime to reach 23 points against Nebraska and managing 20 points against Indiana thanks to a pick-six.

To assess whether Michigan can limit the Spartan offense therefore requires asking whether the Wolverines can limit Walker.

How To Stop Walker

There is a ton of video footage available and I've been able to rewatch a lot of it.

What is commonplace in games where Walker struggles is that opposing defenders bottle him up in the backfield by plugging in gaps to force him to alter his direction. These defenders keep him going sideways instead of getting downhill where he can use his combo of forcefulness and speed.

At all events, defenders have to deter Walker from reaching the second level.

Now, Michigan owns a highly-ranked run defense. But the success or failure of the Wolverine run defense is not simply a product of its ranking relative to its opponent's.

Nebraska, for example, outproduced a higher-ranked Wisconsin ground game against Michigan by amassing 140 rushing yards on 4.4 YPC thanks to its ability to replicate Rutgers' second-half success against this Wolverine defense.

The key difference between the Cornhusker offense and Wisconsin's is the creativity in play-calling.

Wisconsin's idea of being deceptive is basically to hand the ball off and have the quarterback pretend like he still has the ball.

Nebraska does a lot more to fool opposing linebackers -- including Michigan's -- into occupying positions where they are unable to pursue the ball effectively.

My point in comparing Wisconsin and Nebraska is to use history to point to the importance of creativity against the Michigan defense and to suggest that we should expect a lot of creativity from the Spartan offense.

Even against Youngstown State, for example, the Spartans executed a jet sweep, a bootleg, and an RPO on consecutive plays on a scoring drive.

They will use the running threat posed by wide receivers -- like the speedy Jalen Nailor, who ran the ball twice in last year's win over Michigan -- and quarterback Payton Thorne in order to be deceptive.

The Spartan offense will run specific plays, running and passing, that force opposing defenders to respect Michigan State's multiple capabilities, to get Walker outside the tackles and in the second level where he is repeatedly dangerous.

It is true that Michigan State's offense in its last game against Indiana looked uninspiring.

But we've seen teams save up their offense for more meaningful opponents countless times like Oregon looking vanilla against Fresno State before putting up 35 in its win over Ohio State.

Michigan State has accumulated such a great ATS history against Michigan -- the Spartans enjoy 5-1 and 11-2 ATS runs against Michigan -- partly because they always give the Wolverines maximum effort and undivided attention.

Michigan Offense vs. Spartan Defense

Like Michigan State, Michigan does not have a quarterback who will carry its team.

As passing charts show, Cade McNamara can be quite efficient in short and intermediate passing, but he won't use the deep ball to take advantage of a relatively vulnerable Spartan secondary.

Instead, Michigan will rely on its "thunder and lightning" duo of running backs Tyrone Wheatley and Tim Biakabatuka...oops, I mean Hassan Haskins and Blake Corum.

The Spartans, though, own a strong run defense, probably weaker than the Badger run defense and stronger than the Rutgers run defense that limited Michigan's ground game to its least productive outputs.

Ranking top-20 in both opposing YPC and opposing rush yards per game, Michigan State has been carried by unexpected breakouts in the linebacker unit like Cal Haladay -- who accomplished the aforementioned pick-six vs. Indiana -- and by well-known veteran defensive linemen like decorated Jacub Panasiuk plus depth.

The Verdict

Michigan State has the creative and potent ground game to challenge a Wolverine defense that will also have to deal with a pass attack featuring Jayden Reed with his secure hands and Jalen Nailor with their 19+ yards per catch averages.

The Spartans also have the front seven to limit Michigan's running back tandem.

I think it's ridiculous that the Spartans are favored by a field goal or more at home.

I recommend betting early on Michigan State in expectation that the line will drop by game time, although later Michigan money should ensure that the line stays at around three.

Best Bet: Spartans +4 at -108 with Heritage

A lot of interesting things to cap in this game.

This is the first legit opponent for MSU... Miami comes close... As does Nebraska... But overall we'll see in the next few weeks what this Spartans team is made of. Ohio State should go bonkers on this secondary... But with Clifford hurt, that game is seemingly winnable now.

That goes both ways as well. I value the Wisconsin and Nebraska wins as far as UM played solid defenses in hostile environments... They played another good defense at home as well (Washington)..

Good barometer game here both ways.

I expect weird things to happen.

Saturday, October 30, 2021 at noon ET (FOX) at Spartan Stadium in East Lansing, Michigan

Much of the impetus behind Michigan State's surprisingly successful season has come from Kenneth Walker who has amassed 997 rushing yards and nine rushing touchdowns on 6.6 YPC.

Characteristically, Walker is strong and tough to bring down. But he also enjoys sufficient burst to run away for a big play.

Michigan State does not possess a quarterback who can carry a team by himself. Therefore, the Spartans like to feed Walker as much as possible.

Walker has failed to reach five YPC in two contests: against Indiana and Nebraska he accrued 3.7 YPC and 3.2 YPC, respectively.

Unsurprisingly, the Indiana and Nebraska games were Michigan State's closest calls this season with the Spartans needing overtime to reach 23 points against Nebraska and managing 20 points against Indiana thanks to a pick-six.

To assess whether Michigan can limit the Spartan offense therefore requires asking whether the Wolverines can limit Walker.

How To Stop Walker

There is a ton of video footage available and I've been able to rewatch a lot of it.

What is commonplace in games where Walker struggles is that opposing defenders bottle him up in the backfield by plugging in gaps to force him to alter his direction. These defenders keep him going sideways instead of getting downhill where he can use his combo of forcefulness and speed.

Now, Michigan owns a highly-ranked run defense. But the success or failure of the Wolverine run defense is not simply a product of its ranking relative to its opponent's.

Nebraska, for example, outproduced a higher-ranked Wisconsin ground game against Michigan by amassing 140 rushing yards on 4.4 YPC thanks to its ability to replicate Rutgers' second-half success against this Wolverine defense.

The key difference between the Cornhusker offense and Wisconsin's is the creativity in play-calling.

Wisconsin's idea of being deceptive is basically to hand the ball off and have the quarterback pretend like he still has the ball.

Nebraska does a lot more to fool opposing linebackers -- including Michigan's -- into occupying positions where they are unable to pursue the ball effectively.

My point in comparing Wisconsin and Nebraska is to use history to point to the importance of creativity against the Michigan defense and to suggest that we should expect a lot of creativity from the Spartan offense.

Even against Youngstown State, for example, the Spartans executed a jet sweep, a bootleg, and an RPO on consecutive plays on a scoring drive.

They will use the running threat posed by wide receivers -- like the speedy Jalen Nailor, who ran the ball twice in last year's win over Michigan -- and quarterback Payton Thorne in order to be deceptive.

The Spartan offense will run specific plays, running and passing, that force opposing defenders to respect Michigan State's multiple capabilities, to get Walker outside the tackles and in the second level where he is repeatedly dangerous.

It is true that Michigan State's offense in its last game against Indiana looked uninspiring.

But we've seen teams save up their offense for more meaningful opponents countless times like Oregon looking vanilla against Fresno State before putting up 35 in its win over Ohio State.

Michigan State has accumulated such a great ATS history against Michigan -- the Spartans enjoy 5-1 and 11-2 ATS runs against Michigan -- partly because they always give the Wolverines maximum effort and undivided attention.

Like Michigan State, Michigan does not have a quarterback who will carry its team.

As passing charts show, Cade McNamara can be quite efficient in short and intermediate passing, but he won't use the deep ball to take advantage of a relatively vulnerable Spartan secondary.

Instead, Michigan will rely on its "thunder and lightning" duo of running backs Tyrone Wheatley and Tim Biakabatuka...oops, I mean Hassan Haskins and Blake Corum.

The Spartans, though, own a strong run defense, probably weaker than the Badger run defense and stronger than the Rutgers run defense that limited Michigan's ground game to its least productive outputs.

Ranking top-20 in both opposing YPC and opposing rush yards per game, Michigan State has been carried by unexpected breakouts in the linebacker unit like Cal Haladay -- who accomplished the aforementioned pick-six vs. Indiana -- and by well-known veteran defensive linemen like decorated Jacub Panasiuk plus depth.

The Verdict

Michigan State has the creative and potent ground game to challenge a Wolverine defense that will also have to deal with a pass attack featuring Jayden Reed with his secure hands and Jalen Nailor with their 19+ yards per catch averages.

I think it's ridiculous that the Spartans are favored by a field goal or more at home.

I recommend betting early on Michigan State in expectation that the line will drop by game time, although later Michigan money should ensure that the line stays at around three.

You think it redic that Spartans are favored? You should prob change that to Wolverines before you turn it in :)

So my new bosses will only allow us to keep writing for them if we discontinue writing for our old bosses.

Basically: the new bosses bring much better pay. The old bosses are people I've developed loyalty towards over the years, they don't force me to conform to a suffocating template, and, as a result, writing for them is more enjoyable.

You can probably agree that my "preview articles" are a lot better (to read) than my "picks articles." Right?

Believe me, I don't think I'm some hot shit whose writing is something that CTG people are dying to see. But I do place extra value on what people here think about my work because I value CTG and because I interact with you guys directly. So feel free to chime in regarding my last comment/question.

So my new bosses will only allow us to keep writing for them if we discontinue writing for our old bosses.

Basically: the new bosses bring much better pay. The old bosses are people I've developed loyalty towards over the years, they don't force me to conform to a suffocating template, and, as a result, writing for them is more enjoyable.

You can probably agree that my "preview articles" are a lot better (to read) than my "picks articles." Right?

Believe me, I don't think I'm some hot shit whose writing is something that CTG people are dying to see. But I do place extra value on what people here think about my work because I value CTG and because I interact with you guys directly. So feel free to chime in regarding my last comment/question.

Agreed. The preview articles are better than the picks articles. More info it seems contained in the preview articles. Not trying to slight either of them, but if one had to go it would be the picks articles.

Yeah there's a strict word count for the picks articles...which I still blow by...with the preview articles i'm able to write literally more than twice as much and in a way that I choose to organize.

Some of the back-and-forths are pretty intense. I can't post them on a public forum, though. I'll just say that I don't think it's ever worth selling your soul. I think it's worth sacrificing additional material benefit to reciprocate the loyalty that others have shown you and to continue cultivating the same personal connection that makes a workplace nicer to participate in.

Some of the back-and-forths are pretty intense. I can't post them on a public forum, though. I'll just say that I don't think it's ever worth selling your soul. I think it's worth sacrificing additional material benefit to reciprocate the loyalty that others have shown you and to continue cultivating the same personal connection that makes a workplace nicer to participate in.

You turning out to be a much better person than I initially gave you credit for! lol.

So what are the old bosses doing now?

What did Rutgers do vs Michigan in the 2nd H and can't MSU replicate that or will Michigan be able to avoid that happening?

What did Nebraska do vs Michigan State and can't Michigan replicate that or will MSU be able to avoid that happening?

How To Stop Walker

The Verdict

GTFO with this bullshit!

Back